Hypertension

Arranged Future

“You feel so good Yoongi-hyung,” Jimin moaned from his place above his boyfriend. Yoongi smugly grinned up at him, “Then hurry up and start moving,” he ordered as he tucked a pillow behind his head. Jimin shoved his bangs back and tentatively rolled his hips forward, the sensation making his toes curl in anticipation of what was to come next.

 

And just when he was getting a beautiful rhythm going, Jimin heard Yoongi say, “Wait, wait, my phone is ringing,” while pulling his hips down firmly to stop him. Jimin wrapped his hands around the elder’s wrists, “So what?” he whined out shoving Yoongi’s hands away from his hips, “Let it ring.” Yoongi grabbed his boyfriend by his elbows and yanked him down to eye level, “Yah Park Jimin, why else would anyone be calling me at 3 AM if it wasn’t an emergency?” he asked before releasing him. 

 

Jimin pouted and crossed his arms, “Fine, answer your stupid phone,” he mumbled, “But I’m not getting off of you.” He gyrated his hips again for emphasis, he was way too content with their current connection.

 

“Fine, but don’t move,” Yoongi said in a warning tone accompanied with a pointed finger. Jimin cutely scrunched up his face and smacked the elder’s hand out of his face. Yoongi rolled his eyes and reached for his charging phone and swiped his thumb across the screen, “Annyeong-haseyo,” he answered lovingly running a finger down his boyfriend’s chest. Jimin leaned forward onto his palms and peppered kisses across his boyfriend’s chest and neck.

 

“Yes, this is Min Yoongi speaking,” the elder said into the phone as he encouragingly his boyfriend’s dark hair, that kid knew all the right places to kiss. His eyes popped open, however, with the next few words he’d just heard. “What?” he frantically asked pushing Jimin off of him so he could sit upright. “Hyung, what’s wrong?” Jimin asked once he regained his balance, he pressed his ear against the back of his boyfriend’s cellphone in a fruitless attempt to hear the conversation. 

 

Yoongi furrowed his brows and mushed his boyfriend’s face away, “Uh yes, I’ll be there shortly. Thanks,” he mumbled before he hung up. Yoongi tossed his phone onto the mat and looked over at Jimin, his face dark and heavy with fear. “My dad is in the hospital again,” he revealed as he propped his elbows on his raised, sheet-covered knees.

 

“Then let’s go,” Jimin said hugging his boyfriend’s arm. “You don’t have to come Jimin,” the elder offered with a shake of his head, “I know you and my parents don’t like each other.” Jimin shrugged, “They’re still your parents. I don’t care if we don’t like each other, I wanna be there for you,” he said resting his chin on the elder’s shoulder.


“Ah, so you got a phone call too, huh?” Juntao asked when he saw his baby brother round the corner with Jimin in tow. Yoongi nodded as he hastily approached his brother, “Yea, what happened to him this time? Another heart attack?” he questioned worriedly. Juntao shook his head, “I don’t know, I just got here myself,” he said resting a hand on Yoongi’s shoulder, he looked tired…that’s what happens when you get an emergency hospital phone call in the middle of the night. 

 

Juntao’s eyes trailed over to Jimin, who was silently standing behind his boyfriend, “You must be Jimin,” he said extending a warm hand to his brother’s boyfriend, “My name is, Min Juntao.” Jimin reached over Yoongi’s shoulder and happily accepted the handshake, “Nice to finally meet you,” he said with a small smile. Yoongi rested his hand on Jimin’s arm and smiled at his brother as well, “Sorry you couldn’t meet him under different circumstances,” he said. 

 

Jimin hugged his boyfriend from behind and rocked him back and forth. Juntao smiled at how cute they looked and shook his head, “It’s just nice to finally meet Jimin,” he assured. The trio heard a throat clear behind them and they turned to see Mrs. Min standing with a doctor.

 

“Juntao, Yoongi, we need to talk about your father’s condition,” Mrs. Min told her sons, her voice held a mixture of distance and worry. Her children nodded obediently and waited for her to continue. Mrs. Min cut her eyes at Jimin, “This is a family discussion, please excuse yourself,” she rudely said while shooing him away. Yoongi glared at his mother and was about to snap on her until he felt Jimin hug him tighter. “It’s ok,” Jimin said, he kissed his boyfriend’s cheek and then made his way to one of the blue plastic chairs lined up against the wall off to the side. 

 

“My name is Dr. Tanaka, I have been overseeing your father’s condition tonight,” the short female doctor told the brothers in a standard physician’s tone. “What happened to him?” Yoongi asked her, it was killing him to not know. Dr. Tanaka shoved her ink pen into her messy bun and answered him monotonously, “Your father’s high blood pressure caused him to have a seizure tonight, which ultimately sent his body into shutdown mode.” 

 

Juntao shook his head in confusion, “I don’t understand, how can high blood pressure lead to seizures,” he asked leaning on his brother’s shoulder.

 

“Mr. Min, has extremely high blood pressure and has been supremely stressed out these past few months. Apparently he was yelling at an employee for messing something up when he passed out and began have muscle spasms,” she explained. Mrs. Min remained silent, but did nod along to the doctor’s explanation. “How bad was his seizure? Was there any brain damage?” Juntao asked looking between his mother and the doctor. 

 

Dr. Tanaka shook her head, “Your father is going to be fine; he just needs to stay off his feet for about a week, you know, take some time to de-stress and we need to discuss ways to lower his blood pressure and stress levels,” she advised. “Can we go see him?” Yoongi asked hopefully. “He’s asleep at the moment, you can go in if you’d like though,” the doctor informed them before walking off toward the nurse’s station.

 

“Uh, I think I’ll go sit with him for a while,” Juntao told his family. “What about you?” Mrs. Min asked her youngest son, “don’t you want to see him too?” Yoongi shook his head, “Not yet, I left my phone out in the car,” he told his mom. “I’ll let you know if he wakes up,” Juntao volunteered before making his way into his dad’s deluxe suite hospital room. Yoongi nodded his thanks and exited the hospital.

 

Mrs. Min came to sit beside Jimin, “This is all your fault you know?” she coldly accused while staring down her nose at him. “My fault? How?” Jimin asked incredulously. “Until we can find someone to fill Yoongi’s spot, his father has been working harder than ever to resume control over the entire company again. Your meddling in my family’s affairs has overworked and overstressed my husband, which caused his seizure,” she explained in minor annoyance, “If you would’ve just kept your mouth shut and stayed out of Yoongi’s professional life none of this would have happened.”

 

“Excuse me?” Jimin asked angrily, but the worried  look piercing through Mrs. Min’s mask made it dissipate.  “Look,” he sighed standing up, “you can blame me for your husband’s poor health if it makes you feel better, I understand you’re upset. But it won’t change anything. The fact of the matter is, Yoongi will still be a photographer, Juntao will still be a painter, and your husband will still be a stressed out workaholic. I think it would be best for you and your husband to just accept reality and move past your anger,” he respectfully bowed to her before walking toward the exit to find his boyfriend.


“Oh look it’s my two disappointments visiting the man they put in the hospital with their selfishness,” Mr. Min groggily said as his eyes focused on his sons. “I only see one selfish man in this room and he’s the one who’s on bed rest,” Yoongi retorted crossing his arms in defiance. “What was that, you little ingrate?” Mr. Min asked as he weakly struggled to sit up. 

 

Yoongi opened his mouth to snap back, but Juntao cut him off before he could, “Look appa, Yoongi and I didn’t come to argue, we came to see if you were OK.” “I’m fine, you can leave now. No need to be worried about me now when you weren’t thinking about me before,” the elder said stubbornly. “Cry me a river,” Yoongi snapped. “Yoongi,” Juntao said in a warning tone, “he’s still our father, treat him with respect.”

 

“I’m trying hyung to, I really am. But he needs to grow up, he’s acting the way he always does when doesn’t go his way, like a spoiled brat,” Yoongi spat out, “‘My sons aren’t doing exactly what I tell them to do, oh no that means they don’t love and respect me anymore. Guess, I’ll have to treat them like trash and never speak to them again until they’re ready to be obedient little boys again,’” he said mimicking his dad’s booming voice.

 

“Get the hell out of here,” Mr. Min loudly ordered, his breathing ragged. “Dad, you need to calm down before you have another seizure,” Juntao told his father before he looked over at his brother, “Maybe you should take a walk to calm down too.” Yoongi glared at his dad, but held his hands up in surrender, “Fine, but he’s just gonna yell and scream at you next,” he said before stalking out of the room.


“OK, it must be unwanted visitor day,” Mr. Min groaned when he saw Jimin enter his hospital room, “What the hell do you want? I don’t have any more sons for you to corrupt.” Jimin leaned against the door he’d just closed, “I came to ask you to forgive your son,” he told the elder. “There’s nothing to forgive,” Mr. Min said crossing his arms. 

 

“If that’s true, then why are you and your wife angry at him?” Jimin queried. “Because he ignored his family duties to become a picture taker,” the elder belittled. “But photography makes him happy,” Jimin countered. “SO WHAT? As adults sometimes we can’t do what makes us happy, sometimes we have to choose the pragmatic root. Yoongi may not have wanted to do it, but it’s the more logical choice for him if he wants to be successful,” Mr. Min firmly explained. 

 

“Who’s to say he can’t have success without happiness? Why can’t he have both?” Jimin questioned as he took a step closer. “Young man, can you honestly say Yoongi will be as wealthy being a photographer as he would’ve been running a multi-million dollar company?” his boyfriend’s dad asked settling back into his pillows.

 

“Money isn’t the only way to measure success, sir,” Jimin pointed out with a shake of his head. “Yea, but it’s the most important measure,” Mr. Min responded. 

 

“More important than happiness?” Jimin queried. “Happiness won’t pay the bills and put food on the table, only money can do that and Yoongi can make the most running the company,” Mr. Min told him in a matter-of-fact tone. “Well Yoongi is doing just fine with his photography job and more importantly he’s happy. And he could be happier if he had a little support from the people who mean the most to him,” Jimin said crossing his arms.

 

“I can’t support someone who’s throwing his life away and that goes for Juntao as well,” Mr. Min said with a shake of his head. “No you can’t support someone who isn’t doing things your way,” Jimin corrected. “Excuse me, you don’t know my intentions. I care about my sons,” Mr. Min interjected. Jimin took another step closer. 

 

“I don’t doubt that you do, Mr. Min, it’s clear that you love both of your sons or you wouldn’t be so pissed off. But you also like to control them, you wanted Juntao to run your company and when he said no you disowned him. Then you wanted Yoongi to do the same thing and when he said no you kicked him out too. Juntao is an amazing artist who will be having his own art exhibition soon and Yoongi just got a job as a photographer for a nationally selling magazine, they are both very successful and doing work that they love. You should be happy for them, and proud, but since they aren’t living the life you planned out for them, you refuse to be happy for them. You refuse to support them. Your stubbornness and controlling attitude is making you ignore that fact that they’re still your flesh and blood,” Jimin preached, “So what if they’re not doing what you want, that shouldn’t be a reason to cut them out of your life. You need them and they need you. People need their parents.”

 

Jimin knew that all too well.

 

“Look, I don’t need some orphaned kid telling me how to be a good father,” Mr. Min snapped, “so if you’re done preaching to me, would you kindly close the door on the way out?” Jimin sighed in exasperation just as Yoongi poked his head into his father’s room, “Jimin, what are you doing in here?” he asked him as he fully entered. 

 

“Nothing hyung, just talking to myself apparently,” he said looking over at his boyfriend’s father. “Look dad, I’m glad to see you’re OK and I'm sorry about blowing up at you. I'm wasn't trying to add to your stress," he told his father, "I have a shoot in a few hours, so we’re going to go. I'll visit you again soon.” “What children’s portraits will you be taking tomorrow?” Mr. Min spitefully asked.

 

“I’ll actually be co-shooting the Anderson Twins for the magazine,” Yoongi proudly told his dad before he grabbed ahold of Jimin's hand, “C’mon Jiminnie, let’s go home.” Mr. Min looked pleasantly surprised, the Anderson Twins were co-CEO’s of a billion dollar German appliance company, he had no idea Yoongi would be meeting people like that as a photographer. Jimin respectfully bowed to Mr. Min before he allowed Yoongi to lead him out of the room.

 

DRAMA!