Prejudice

Just One Shots ~ HyunMin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

ERORRS EVERYWHERE!

 

 

Created: 5/25/'13

 

 

Hyun Joong

 

 

“Daddy—” a single word came out which made me stare in pure surprise.

 

 

“What did you say, sweetie?”

 

 

“Da—dad—” she smile afterwards, showing her pinkish gums without any teeth.

 

 

I energetically stood up and spun her around while she giggled loudly.

 

 

“Ah, my girl is growing up so fast. Don’t get a boyfriend too soon.”

 

 

I stopped twirling and walked towards the calendar hanging on the wall. “We should put a mark on this day.”

 

 

 

 

 

May 25, 2013.

 

 

 

 

 

 I grinned widely. “You’ll be turning six next week? Six as in six months. But for now, it’s your bedtime.”

 

 

I headed to the bedroom of our condo and put her on bed. She lied down while playing with the edge of the blanket. “Come here,” I said as I lay beside her.

 

 

I closed my eyes and began singing her lullaby. In just a span of ten minutes, she was in her dreamland. I steadied my gaze on the ceiling as my mind became filled with lots of thoughts.

 

 

My little girl. My daughter. She was left in my care when her mother—her irresponsible mother gave her to me after giving birth. No, she didn’t even give her personally. She just asked one of their people to send this baby to my house.

 

 

 

 

 

My tiny house.

 

 

 

 

 

The moment I held her for the first time, it was like magic. I thought nothing would be able to help me go on with my life. But she changed all of that. Because of her, I strived to keep the both of us alive.

 

The reason why her mothe—I mean, that lady left us? – I don’t like naming her as my daughter’s mother! She doesn’t deserve the title since she hasn’t even lifted a finger to take care of her.

 

Anyway, going back to the story. The reason – her reason for leaving? Her comfortable life. Her career as a woman. Her own selfish reasons that drove her away from the child she conceived.

 

 

 

 

 

“We have a big problem,” I remember her say. “I’m pregnant. Two weeks to be exact.”

 

“Really?” I asked her back. “Why is it a big problem? Aren’t you happy? Well, I am.”

 

 

 

 

 

We were in a relationship for four years. In short, for our whole stay in college. On our final school year, I wasn’t able to go back as my financial problems got worse and I couldn’t support my studies even with the scholarship. The expenses for a graduating student were incredibly high and I just had to give it up if I still want to eat three times a day and pay for my monthly rent.

On the other side, she successfully made it, given that her family could afford it.

 

I came on their graduation day despite of my work as a technician in an electronic shop. And on that same night, we ‘accidentally’ did something that resulted to the most marvelous thing – Ae Mi, my wonderful girl.

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t have her. My parents will kick me out and will take away my inheritance.”

 

“So you want my child dead in exchange of your freakin’ inheritance? No, you’re not going to kill your own baby, are you?

 

 “I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

 

 

I closed my eyes as a tear came out from each of them. Memories, memories. Aren’t there any good ones to remember instead?

 

I couldn’t believe her! She wanted to abort it because she just thinks of herself. Of her reputation. Everything about her.

 

 

 

 

 

What an egoistic brat!

 

 

 

 

 

Was it because I don’t have any family member that was as rich as they are? Because I was poor and didn’t have any property of my own? Because I couldn’t give her the deluxe life that she’s used to?

 

 

 

The answer?

 

 

 

 

All of the above.

 

 

 

 

 

Of course, how dare I was to ever think that she would choose me and our baby?

 

I pleaded. I begged with all my might. I wanted her to pursue the conception. Yes, she agreed. On one condition – the poor kid would be left in my care.

 

I was left in an orphanage by my unknown parents and when I became adult, I’ve been living on my own. Then I met her and everything just felt so right.

 

I thought she’s the one who didn’t look down on me because of my economic status. I thought she’s the one who would fight for our love against all odds. I thought, yes, I thought. But those were all just empty thoughts. Thoughts that broke my heart multiple times.

 

Did my feelings deceive me? Did I really have to choose?

 

And I chose my daughter. I cannot let an innocent soul suffer the consequences of our impetuous actions. So what if I don’t live extravagantly? Who cares if I become a single parent?

 

I didn’t care about anything else but my precious angel. I’ve been abandoned too, and I wouldn’t allow her to have the same fate, that’s why I swallowed my pride to beg for her life.

 

 

 

 

 

******************************************

 

 

 

 

 

“Have you heard?” asked a female tenant once we were inside the elevator. “The owner would do his rounds later. It’s the first time I’m seeing him.”

 

 

“Is that so?” I questioned. She repeatedly nodded with a huge smile. It seemed there were hearts coming out of her eyes.

 

 

If it’s so, it would also be my first time meeting the owner of the whole building. Well, we’ve been living here for almost six months – the same age as my baby. It was shocking that I’ve won a raffle draw after the baby was given to me. That condo unit was the prize. Then I was immediately hired as a website creator and IT technician. That way, I could stay home because most of the works could be done online. If computers are needed to be fixed or programmed, the customers would personally bring their items at my door; I’ll fix them at home and then have them pick it up again. Easy, right? At least I don’t have to think of who would take care of my daughter if I’m out for work or something. She really brought good fortunes. My lucky charm indeed.

 

 

 

DING!

 

 

 

I quickly went out of the lift towards our front door. I just went out to buy some grocery items. Ae Mi was still asleep when I left. I hope she hasn’t fallen on the bed or gone missing.

 

 

“Mr. Kim?” a voice asked from behind.

 

 

“Yes?” I turned around.

 

 

Based on his look, he must be on his early forty’s or late thirty’s.

 

 

“Good morning, I am Jang Dong Gun, the owner of the building.”

 

 

“Oh,” I said. “Nice meeting you, sir.” I reached for his hand that he was holding out for a handshake.

 

 

“You, too. It’s good to see you still living here. You’ve chosen and bought well.”

 

 

It confused me. “Bought?”

 

 

“Yes. I was actually looking forward to meet you back then. But it was a lady who handed me the payment for your unit. Nevertheless, she had the authorization letter with your signature, so I accepted the money and thought of meeting you some other time. I always want to meet my tenants. It makes me feel closer to them.”

 

 

With my signature? I don’t remember signing any of that.

 

I just forcefully smiled and didn’t say anything else.

 

I closed the door behind me when I came in. It was a relief that the house was still at peace. My baby was still sleeping.

 

Bought? When did I buy this unit? When did I have the money to pay for it? This was given to me through a raffle draw!

And a lady? Who was that lady who handed the said payment to Mr. Jang?

 

 

A loud cry woke me up from my trance.

 

Ae Mi! She must be hungry.

 

 

 

 

 

******************************************

 

 

 

 

 

“Can I take a picture of her?”

 

 

Her question made me think twice. Right here in front of me is Lee Mi Sun, her best friend. I took Ae Mi in the park and I surprisingly ran into her.

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

She shrugged, “Because she’s so damn cute! And besides, she’s my best friend’s daughter. You made me her Godmother, remember?”

 

 

My fist clenched upon the sound of it.

 

 

 

 

 

She’s my best friend’s daughter.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter