Chapter 1

Blue anTHəm

      When it comes to life, there has always been a small voice that tried to reach out and grab the happiness that she sought in it. Son Wendy is the girl that has tried for four years. Every time she'd open , only good things would come out. She was a girl who believed in karma and so she never tried to think badly of people. Wendy always wanted to try and get to know someone before judging them. Little Miss Perfect is what they called her but she liked to differ.

      This whole thing about being kind to others was pretty much for her own well being. If I am good to other people, she would say, Then I would be treated well. It was a selfish way of achieving happiness but Wendy was not shamed by it. She knew how to be happy and so she would continue to live that way.

      Wendy only had four close friends that she truly trusted and those people were Seulgi, Irene, Joy, and Luhan. Bae Irene was older than her by three years and that made her very over protective over Wendy. She had watched her "daughter" grow up in the past four years while trying to please others and that made her happy yet bitter. It's not good to always try to get everyone's acceptance. Kang Seulgi was only eleven days older than Wendy, so the two were quite close and always talked to each other. Now, the one that all three of them loved was Park Joy, the youngest of the group. They were all in love with her cute and refreshing charms. The very last one of her friends was LuHan, the oldest of the group by a year. To Wendy, he was just like her, always wanting the same happiness.

      "Wendy!" Seulgi ran down the staircase of their house and into the kitchen where she smelled something burning, "Did you leave the cookies in too long?"

      "I'm sorry!" the girl with midnight blue ends came running to help her friend, "I was busy playing around with my guitar!"

      "That's fine but next time, put a timer on so that you know when it's done."

      "I'm really sorry.. Now I have to redo the cookies.."

      "What were they for again?"

      "They're for the kids at the orphanage." Wendy sulked, "They are having a concert later tonight and I told them that I'd make them cookies! I'm such a fail!"

      Seulgi took a bite of the burnt cookies and her face became inverted, "You definitely cannot feed them with these.."

      "They're really that bad?"

      "Don't worry, you still have time to make another batch!" Seulgi dumped the cookies and the tray, "Good luck!"

      "Thanks..."

      Wendy felt so stupid. She was so caught in her guitar play that she forgot about something so important like this. If she didn't hurry, the kids would be sad that she didn't make it in time.

      As she began whipping up another batch of cookies, Wendy thanked the heavens above that she had someone like Seulgi to live with. Not that she was the only person living here with me, she laughed to herself. If her friend hadn't checked on the cookies, the house would have burned down already and that would have been worse than burnt cookies.

      The front door clicked and in came Irene from her usual routine of raking the leaves in this Autumn season. It was really a duty to keep the house as nice as possible, at least to Wendy, so she had Irene assign everyone a job because they would listen to her. Even though Irene was the oldest and she had a tough side, she always had that shy and non-talkative side to her, that is if she met you for the first time. Irene was good at deceiving people, not that she did it on purpose.

      "Hey, you're cooking?"

      "I made a batch of cookies before this but they sort of burned."

      "Want me to help?" Irene rolled up her sleeves without an answer from Wendy and came to her side, "Tell me what to do."

      "Can you make perfect circles onto the baking sheet?"

      Irene nodded as she took the batter and started on the circles, "I saw Luhan outside."

      "Why didn't he come in?"

      "He said he was busy but he wanted me to tell you that your children were waiting." Irene smirked, "What does that mean?"

      "He's talking about the orphans!" Wendy felt herself get red, "Did you forget that he works there?"

      "I didn't forget, I just thought to tease you."

      "I'm not that easily teased with," Wendy sighed as she the oven, "When you're finished, can you set the timer to twenty minutes?"

      "Sure, but where are you going?"

      "I need to finish this song I was working on."

      "Ooh, Wendy can do it all, huh?"

      Shaking her head in disagreement, Wendy made her way back into the study room where her guitar waited patiently for her delicate hands. There was always just one song that was stuck in her mind and today was the day that she finally decided to write it out and clean it up some. It didn't have any special meaning to her but it had a somewhat sentimental feeling and Wendy didn't want to let the perfect song go.

      The minutes went by and soon, the timer kept making an annoying noise that forced Wendy out of the study and into the kitchen. When she took out the cookies, the smell of them traveled into her heart and brought out the biggest smile on her face. One by one, she put them in bags and tied them off with a blue ribbon. It was her sign, well sort of. The midnight blue on her hair was already enough to catch the attention of others.

      "Happiness."

      Wendy mumbled her dream to herself and put the little baggies into a box she decorated herself. Almost like a gift on a Christmas day but in October. This idea of finding happiness in her mind, made her a better person. When she would think of her family, Wendy felt really bitter about herself. She couldn't convey her true feelings to them before she left. That was the only thing she had ever regretted.

      After she tucked her skinny jeans into her boots, she ran out the door and hopped onto her bike, making her way towards the orphanage. This concert was for the little kids because soon it was going to be time for a few of them to leave. Some were getting old enough to get their own jobs, so it was sort of a goodbye party. Because of her luck, Wendy made it just in time before the concert even started and snuck into the backstage area where her children were waiting.

      "Blue!" a little kid pointed towards the door, "Blue!"

      Wendy came in and placed the box on the table, "I guess I was caught!"

      Seeing the happy faces on the kids always made her heart flutter. They were so innocent and pure, she would think to herself, Why would anyone want to throw such lovely children away?

      "Unni.. cookie?" a little girl, about the age of four came to her side and pointed at the box, "Give Eunji a cookie.."

      "Eunji wants a cookie? Nee!" Wendy pinched her cheek slightly and gave her a baggie of her own, "You can all dig in!"

      Luhan came from behind and crossed his arms as he watched her interaction with the kids, "You're really something."

      Wendy stood up to meet his eyes, "What do you mean?"

      "Just earlier, they were whining and causing a ruckus, but as soon as you come they get quiet."

      "Of course! They're my kids!" Wendy joked, "So, are there a lot of people here?"

      "I wouldn't say that.." Luhan led her out of the room and to the front where they saw how many people there were, "Just about this much."

      Wendy's eyes started watering, "You made it sound like no one came! There are so many people here!"

      Luhan laughed evilly, "I like to joke around."

      "I'm so happy!" she jumped onto him, giving him a bear hug, "This is going to be a good concert!"

      Wendy and Luhan watched as the lights started to dim. The kids started to come out in an orderly fashion and found their places on the stage, a few looked out to find Wendy as she waved to them. The courage that they gave her to keep living was greater than any other. When they began singing, she could feel tears forming in her eyes.

      "They're really something." Luhan repeated as he put his hands in his pockets, "I couldn't even perform on stage if I tried."

      "Don't lie, back in high school, you were the King of the Stage!" Wendy punched his arm.

      "Yeah, well, that was years ago," he laughed, "When I was names King of the Stage, you were only in middle school."

      "I still knew of you though, we went to the same branch!"

      "I didn't know you then," he joked, "You were really small and ugly."

      "Ugly?!" Wendy scoffed, "You're lying."

      "You sure?"

      Wendy pursed her lips and averted her attention towards the kids who were finishing up their last song. Clapping the loudest, she ran up on the stage and hugged them all one by one. When it was time for people to go home, Wendy thanked everyone for coming and handed out forms for adoption. Whatever it was, she wanted to help these kids get a family of their own.

      "I'm going to leave now!" she told the kids, "You all behave!"

      "Bye!"

      The kids waved to her as she hopped onto her bike and started down the long street towards her neighborhood. Lately, she had a lot on her mind, like, how to be better at life and how to be ready for the things that would come her way. Wendy always knew that she restricted herself too much on freedom and she wanted to change that. But that would only go against her sole purpose for living, it was selfish. Of course it was selfish of her to be kind to other people for her own benefit but wanting her own freedom would be even more selfish. Wendy did it once before and she made her great relationship with her family spoiled.

      "I don't think I want to go through something like that again."

      Wendy crossed the street with many thoughts in mind. Before she knew it, there was a lot of honking going on and the rain fell down on her wounds. The person who ran her over got out of the car and ran to her side. The people who were walking around started to call the ambulance and the news reporters. Wendy looked around and saw her bike, which was crumbled to pieces arond her. Her surroundings began to fade to a black as she felt the majority of her blood emptying out of her body. It was a moment of shock for her and she started to think, If I die right now, I won't be able to capture the happiness I wanted. What do I do? I don't want to die. I don't want to die!

      - -You don't want to die?

      The voice was distant in her ears but as she heard footsteps coming closer and closer to her, the voice became more prominent.

      - -Tell me, Son Wendy.. or should I say Son SeungWan. Do you want to live?

      It didn't sound very comforting but her goal was right in front of her eyes. It was under her grasp. The happiness she wanted was there.

      - -Do you?

      Live.. I-I want to live.

 


Author's Note

Hey, thanks for reading the first chapter! I do know this is an odd pairing, as I said in the foreword, but I really hope that you all take the time to read it! Again, I love my pistachios! Without any of you, I wouldn't have the courage to write on! Blue Anthem just rings, doesn't it?

감사! ♥