Dinner.

An Old Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“… and you promise you’ll eat something? I know you; you’ll end up skipping just because you don’t feel like it.” Chunji said accusingly.

                    Niel laughed and ushered his best friend out of the front door. “Yes, umma.” He said.

                    Chunji rolled his eyes as he placed some rayban glasses on top of his head and fixed his hair once more in the hallway mirror before stepping out of the door. “I just don’t want to come back and have to make you something.” Chunji slipped his phone out of his jeans pocket and checked for any messages.

                    “Ah!” Niel swiped the white rectangular piece out of Chunji’s hand swiftly, put it on a shelf behind him in the house and blocked the entrance.

                    “Yah, what was that for?” Chunji whined when he realised he couldn’t get past Niel to retrieve his phone.

                    “You’re going to be with your family, you don’t need your phone.” Niel said, matter-of-factly.

                    “What if there’s an emergency?” Chunji tried to argue.

                    Niel looked at him as if he were stupid, “If I need to get a hold of you I have your house number and I’ll be in all day if you need to get a hold of me.”

                    Chunji sighed in defeat and walked with heavy feet down the path way leading to the road.

                    “Have fun, hyung!” Niel called after him.

                    “Yeah, yeah…” Chunji waved a hand over his shoulder without a glance back but as Chunji turned a corner Niel could see him pulling the raybans, that were once on his head, over his eyes.

 

                    Chunji was on his family home’s street. He took his time to re-familiarise himself with the suburban surroundings. There was a tall lush-green bush obstructing his view from his parent’s home and garden. As he got closer he heard high pitched, children’s laughs. As well as that he could hear the familiar whining voice of his little brother.

                    “Yah! Guys! You aren’t meant to hide!”

                    Chunji, intrigued by the situation poked his head around the side of the hedge and saw the scene. His youngest brother, standing in the middle of the front lawn, with a scarf, stolen from their mother’s closet, tied around his head, effectively obstructing the boy from seeing anything. He reached out his short arms in desperation. About 5 other children, about the same age, were all suppressing their laughter and huddled against walls to try and keep away from the blindfolded boy.

                    Chunji realised they were playing “blind-man’s bluff”. Chunji then had an idea and stepped out from behind the hedge. The sighted children instantly recognised their hyung and wanted to instantly greet him. Chunji quickly hushed them by putting a slim finger to his lips. He gave them a playful smile and tip toed over the grass towards the still whining boy.

                    “This is unfaiiir!” he called out.

                    Just at that point Chunji grinned and grabbed the little boy at his small waist and tickled him sending him into fits of little boyish giggles.

                    “Hey! Get off me!” he said in between laughing breaths. He struggled to pull the scarf down while still struggling to get away from the mystery hands. When he finally managed to pull the floral scarf down to hang loosely around his neck he revealed doe-like eyes that, frankly, looked too big for his face. They almost exactly replicated Chunji’s, having the same sparkle.

                    “Chanhee hyung?” The little boy asked once his eyesight returned.

                    “Hey, little guy.” Chunji replied with a big smile as he stayed crouched down to end up just shorter than the younger boy.

                    The boy shone the brightest smile and then quickly hugged his older brother around the neck with such force he managed to over balance the both of them and send Chunji on his back. As soon as this happened the other 5 kids ran over and began attacking him with tickling when he was down.

                    Chunji squirmed under the little hands and laugh out a throaty laugh. He let the children over power him for a little while until he begged for them to stop.

                    “Guys! Guys, ok! Let me go, now” he managed to let out in between genuine giggles.

                    The small hands still proceeded and showed no sign of stopping. Just when Chunji was planning to sit up and chase the little ones away the tickling seized all at once. Chunji sighed in relief as his chest heaved up and down, still with a massive grin on his face and his eyes closed behind mirrored sunglasses. He finally calmed down and opened his eyes and was met with a silhouette of someone against the harshness of the sun. The person was standing pretty close and was looking down at Chunji.

                    Chunji guessed that this person was the one who saved him from the masses of mini hands attacking him. Then, the stranger extended an arm towards him in an invitation of help. Chunji gratefully took it and stood up. He brushed off his clothes and finally took a good look at his saviour.

                    It was Byunghun. His hair had been softly done to look messy yet fluffy. Chunji had to admit, it looked good. He was wearing a simple grey t shirt with shirt black sleeves paired with low hung, black skinny jeans and a long chain with a simple silver pendant hanging at the end. His slight smile emphasised his “cat mouth” as Chunji liked to call it.

                    “Thanks” Chunji said with a bashful smile at the sight (the very good sight at that) of Byunghun.

                    “No problem” Byunghun replied with a sweet chuckle. His eyes were drawn away from his own reflection on Chunji’s glasses to his waist where a pair of small arms were clutching on tightly, pulling Chunji’s shirt underneath his plaid shirt very taught.

                    Chunji followed Byunghun’s gaze to his little brother cowering behind him. Chunji’s long- hand instantly went to the back of the boy’s head and played with the hair to try and calm him down. He laughed slightly at the boy’s shyness.

                    “Wait, is this Hyun-ki?” Byunghun asked with astonishment in his voice.

                    The boy huddled even further into Chunji’s side after hearing his name. Chunji nodded in reply.

                    “No way…” Byunghun marvelled. “You’ve grown so much, little dude. I’m Byunghun.” He crouched, leant an arm on his knee and held out a hand to shakes the other’s. The little boy didn’t show any signs of returning the handshake.

                    “Hey, come on don’t be shy.” Chunji encouraged and lightly pushed the 8 year old out from behind him. The boy then looked up from Byunghun’s outstretched hand and up to his face. Byunghun smiled in response. Hesitantly, the boy put his small hand in the older’s and Byunghun softly shook it and chuckled at the cuteness. Byunghun retracted his hand.

                    “You probably don’t remember me but I knew you when you were a baby.” Byunghun told the boy.

                    The boy tipped his head up to look at his older brother and saw the reassuring smile Chunji sent him. He looked back at Byunghun.

                    “Your hair’s weird.” He said simply. This comment made Byunghun laugh out loud and made Chunji let out an amused chuckle.

                    “In what way?” Byunghun asked.

                    “It shouldn’t be that colour.” The boy said matter-of-factly.

                    “No it shouldn’t but I wanted to be different.” Byunghun answered with a wink.

                    The boy tipped his head back to look at his brother again, “Can I have hair like that?”

                    “I think that’s enough Byunghun influence for you, go find your cousins ok?” Chunji said with a slight laugh in his voice, still. He pushed his little brother’s back gently guiding him towards the group of kids. Byunghun stood up from his crouch and watched as the 8 year old ran back to join in a game of “tag”.

                    “He’s grown so much.” Byunghun repea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter