Regret

An Old Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9:45. That’s the first thing that Chunji saw from the digital clock that sat on his bedside table. The red numbers set upon a black background burnt his newly opened eyes. He sighed contently before rolling onto his back and pulling his spine off the bed in attempts to stetch out his long limbs. Sitting up he forced his eyes to focus at the warmly lit room. Sunlight spilt in from the window, around the curtains and set everything in a yellow tinge.

                    Chunji swung his bare legs over the bed, pulled the cover off his body and stood up while pushing his sleepy hair from his face. He intended to shower. As he went into the hallway he heard the radio playing downstairs telling him that Niel was already awake. Just as he was entering the bathroom he heard Niel singing along with one of the songs that began playing and he smiled before going to wash.

                    When he finished his shower he heard a monotonous whirring from downstairs. Intrigued by the noise, Chunji quickly changed the towel wrapped around his waist for jeans, t shirt and a checked shirt and left his room.

                    As he came down the stairs, sure enough the noise became louder. Chunji realised that this whirring sound came from the living room and when he finally got the chance to look inside he found Niel vacuuming. He was practically dancing around the room, dragging the pipe around with him. He wasn’t so much focused on cleaning as singing and dancing along with the music that was blasting out of the radio.

                    Chunji couldn’t believe his eyes. He leant against the doorframe and smiled at the sight of Niel being lost in the music. It wasn’t until the end of the song that Niel saw Chunji watching him and smiled bashfully and turned the vacuum off as well as turned the radio volume down.

                    “I didn’t know you knew how to use that” Chunji joked and gestured towards the pipe that was once in Niel’s hands.

                    Niel laughed sarcastically, “Very funny, hyung.”

                    Chunji smiled and pushed himself off the door frame to take a step into the room and take a look around. He saw that Niel had organised the books on the shelves and dusted as well as vacuumed. “What’s brought this on?” Chunji asked as he kept gazing at his roommate’s work.

                    Niel shrugged, “I just felt pretty good this morning after yesterday so I thought I would do something nice.”

                    “Hmm…” Chunji nodded half-mindedly as he examined the room, “I should kiss you more often…”

                    Niel’s eyes instantly widened in the pause that followed. His gaze shifted to see Chunji’s face. His expression had only just turned from one of wonderment at the room surrounding him to one of realisation of what he had just said. An amused smile formed on Niel’s lips at the sight of his best friend becoming quietly flustered.

                    Chunji dropped his widened eyes down to the floor quick and swallowed nervously before facing Niel’s smug expression. He lifted a finger to point at his roommate “Forget I said that.” Chunji said and walked out of the room, towards the kitchen.

                    Niel’s face split with a full, laughing smile as he followed his hyung out. He couldn’t help the slight feeling of disappointment but he did well to hide it from his face.

                    Chunji had disappeared into the kitchen and Niel was trailing behind when the phone rang in the hallway. Chunji began to make his way back but he saw Niel insta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter