Chapter 9

Fallen Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stood on the balcony, looking at the Han river. Your hand was holding a glass of wine. Its 3 am in the morning but you couldnt sleep at all. You tried to sleep but your brain wouldnt shut up.

There must be a mistake. Theres no way I and Jessica have a same father.

You heaved a breath and let it out slowly. Your chest ached. It turned out that breathing can also be painful.

Why Mr. Jung Jae Sung? Why does he has to be Jessica's father? Maybe my mother was wrong.. Maybe I'm not his son..

You sipped the wine from the glass. Your eyes still fixed on Han river.

What should i do now?

You were pouring wine into your glass when your phone rang. You took out your phone from your pocket and looked at the name on its screen. Mr Jung Jae Sung.

"Hello"

"____."

"Yes Mr. Jung."

"I think we need to talk, about what happened last night. Can we meet this afternoon?"

"Okay. Tell me the time and the place. I'll come."

---------

"Have you told Jessica yet?" 

"No.. I havent."

You met him at the place where you met him for the first time. Mr. Jung looked like he had gotten older in one night. His face looked pale and tired, obvious to see that he's also worried about this situation.

"I asked Sooyeon about your relationship. She said she knew you from Taewoo and it seems like you're..... close with each other."

You didnt answer.

"You... How do you feel about Sooyeon? Do you.. do you like her?"

"Mr.Jung.. Is she really your daughter?"

"She's mine. No doubt about that."

You closed your eyes.. That's one possibility ruled out, then.

"Are you sure I'm really your son? I mean, my mom could've been wrong.."

"____...." Mr. Jung called you softly.

"I'm sorry.. I didnt mean to doubt my mother. It's just..." You stopped, your voice started shaking. "Mr. Jung, I want to get my DNA tested."

You can see Mr. Jung was shocked by your request. "DNA test? So you want to see..."

"If you're really my biological father." You said, finishing Mr. Jung's words.

"Okay, if that's what you want." He finally agreed, you let out a sigh of relief. "When?"

"As soon as possible."

This is your only hope.... your last hope.

-------

I shouldnt have done it.

You sat back to your car's seat and  closed your eyes. You just got DNA test done to see if you're really Mr. Jung's biological son three days ago. You went through all the procedures with him, but not even once did you talk to each other.

That small, white envelope felt so heavy that you used your two hands to hold it. You walked to the garden by the hospital's building and sat on a bench. With trembling hands, you ripped the envelope and pulled out the paper in it. You started to read the writings on the paper, word by word. The more you read, the more your head hurts.

No... Please, no...

You closed your eyes tightly, your hands fell limp at your sides. Your breathing faltered. Your world turned dark, it collapsed in front of your eyes.

Your hope.. your only hope, has now gone..

You, ____, are Jung Jae Sung's son.

Then you heard your phone ringing, its Mr. Jung, he must've called to ask about the result.

"Hello."

"Hey ____, have you got the result?"

"Yes."

"How was it?"

You fell silent, didnt have the strength to answer. You only managed to heave a sigh. And it seemed like Mr. Jung already knew the result from your reaction to his question.

"Kid..." Mr. Jung said, his tone became softer. "How are you feeling?"

I'm a wreck... the answer was hanging on your lips but the pain in your heart choked off any sounds that tried to escape your mouth.

"Have you told Sooyeon yet?"

"I havent. I hope you didnt tell her yourself, Mr. Jung." You answered quickly.

"She has to know, ____."

I know... for God's sake.. I know!

"Please Mr. Jung. Let me tell her myself.." you pleaded.

After a long silence, Mr. Jung said hoarsely. "I'm sorry the situation turned out like this.. I'm really sorry."

You hung up the phone and cupped your face with your hands. Me too...

========================================================================

You buried yourself in your work, not letting your body rest even just a bit, trying to forget about that problem as long

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter