Chapter 10

Fallen Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's weird.."

"What is?" Yoona noticed that Jessica was mumbling.

"____-oppa. His phone is not active since yesterday." She turned to Yoona."I wonder if he's allright."

"He's having fun with other women." Tiffany jumped in.

"Yah!! You're only making it worse. What kind of friend are you?!"

Tiffany laughed. "Chill, Jess. You're the one who told us that your oppa is working his off 24/7."

Yoona nodded in agreement. "Maybe he's just busy."

Jessica puffed her cheeks, thinking. "But he really has changed you know.."

"Tell us how has he changed." Tiffany said, all attention turned to Jessica.

"Well.. he is so quiet nowadays. He also looks kind of... depressed."

"Since when did he became like that?"

Jessica thought about it for a while before answering. "Since...Krystal's birthday?" She said, unsure. "Ah! My father was also weird at that time."

"Weird? How?"

"He never asked me about my social life.."

"Hmm, and then?"

"..but he asked me if i like ____-oppa. And I said yes, he's my boyfriend."

"How did he react?"

 

Flashback

"Sooyeon ah.. Explain to me... what is your relationship with him?"

Jessica looked at her father, confused. He never asked her this kind of question before.

"He's my boyfriend, Appa. Why?"

She could see her father's body tensed, his face looked worried.

Mr. Jung took a deep breath "Sooyeon ah.." he called her weakly. "Dont like him."

"What?" Jessica couldnt believe what she just heard. "I dont understand. Why?!"

He ignored her and walked to his car.  "Unbelievable. You want me to stay away from him without even telling me the reason?" Jessica scoffed. "Dont mind about us appa. We're fine by ourselves."

Mr. Jung turned and yelled,"For God's sake Jessica! Dont like him!!"

"Why?! Tell me why!" Jessica said. "You must have a reason!"

Mr. Jung looked into Jessica's eyes and shook his head. "Nothing. I'm just being stupid. I'm sorry honey.. Just forget what I said." He said before walking back to his car.

 

The scene from that night flashed back into her mind when she heard that question. Jessica shook her head. "I have to ask my father. He has to tell me what's happening."

-------

Jessica arrived at her father's office and went straight to her father's room. His secretary wasn’t at her place because it was lunch time. Without knocking, Jessica opened the door. She was about to greet him before she heard someone talking to his father. She looked inside and saw her father's bestfriend, Uncle Bumsoo, sitting on the sofa. It seemed like they didnt know that Jessica was there.

"Are you serious Jaesung ah? Naomi's son came here to find you?"

Jessica didnt want to disturb them because it seemed like Uncle Bumsoo and his father were talking seriously. She was closing the door carefullly and was about to leave when she heard Uncle Bumsoo mentioned a familiar name.

"That Naomi Hill?"

Naomi Hill? I remember ____-oppa mentioned that her mother's name is Naomi Hill. Does Appa knows her? She cancelled her intention to go and decided to stay. She really wanted to know about her father's relationship with Naomi Hill.

"Why did he look for you?"

"Naomi passed away last year. Cancer."

"Oh." They were silence for a while before Uncle Bumsoo speaks again. "But still, you lost contact with her since a long time ago, Jaesung ah.. Why did he want to meet you?"

"He wanted me to read Naomi's letter. She wrote it for me and him."

"Huh?" She could hear that Uncle Bumsoo was confused. "I dont understand, Jaesung ah. Explain to me."

She heard her father sigh. There was a long silence before he answered.

"I need your advice, Bumsoo ah. I dont know what to do." Uncle Bumsoo didnt say anything. He was waiting for his friend to continue. "The problem is Jessica."

Jessica raised her eyebrows. Me? What's wrong with me?

"My daughter likes him." Mr. Jung continued.

Uncle Bumsoo shrugged. "So? You dont like it because you used to have a relationship with Naomi?."

Uncle Bumsoo continued because his friend wasnt answering his question. "Oh my! Come on, my friend! It's been God knows how many years since you broke up with her! I'm sure she wouldnt mind if her son dated Jessica."

Jessica heard her father laugh discordantly. It was a desperate laughter that almost sounded like a snort.

"I wouldnt object their relationship too..." her father said quietly but clearly. "...if ____ wasnt my son."

What?!

Jessica was stunned. Her heart stopped beating. Her breath was caught in . She couldnt believe what she just heard.

Uncle Bumsoo was also shocked. "What did you say?"

Her father explained helplessly to Uncle Bumsoo. "He brought a letter from his mother. He wanted me to read it. In that letter Naomi said clearly that ____ was mine. I never knew that she was pregnant. We lost contact right after I came back to Seoul..."

"He came to find me, but he told me he didnt want anything from me. He just wanted to meet me, he wanted to fulfill his mother's wish."

"Of course i was shocked when i heard about it. But i could accept it. I was willing to take responsibility. Everything was fine... until I found out that Jessica already knows him. And... their relationship worries me."

"He's my son Bumsoo ah. Naomi's son, he's mine."

"Are you sure he's your son?" Uncle Bumsoo asked carefully.

Mr. Jung nodded weakly. "He asked to get his DNA tested immediately after he found out that Jessica is my daughter. I could feel his frustation, Bumsoo ah. And when he got the result, I knew that his hope was gone. He's really my son."

Jessica realized that her father's voice started cracking. "It's all my fault. I ruined my son Bumsoo ah. And if Jessica knows about this, I'll ruin her too. Bumsoo ah, I ruined them both, my own children." Mr. Jung could not speak any longer, his voice was muffled by sobs.

Jessica pushed herself away from the door.  Her legs suddenly became weak that she had to lean on the wall to stay upright. She felt dizziness sweep over her. Her hand went numb. She couldnt feel anything. Her chest felt heavy, it's like her lungs wont function, she couldnt breathe.

She turned slowly and started walking away from the door. Her legs was too weak to support her that she sank to the floor just after a few steps. She leaned her head against the wall. Her eyes stared emptily at the floor.

Appa's son... ____-oppa... Appa's son...

The words kept coming back to her as memories regarding her father a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter