Chapter 2

Take Me Away

 

Kyuhyun sat at the same bench he sat on most day. It was in a park, but it faced a cafe, and that was why he was there. He forgot the first time he noticed the boy from the cafe that made him sit and watch, but he sees how much it changed him.

It was a routine of his, one he hadn't gotten bored of yet, to sit on the bench in the morning and watch the boy go into work. Then he would get lunch for himself or go to his college classes, and make sure he was back at his bench to see the boy leave the cafe. All he knew about this boy was that he worked at the cafe; he worked almost everyday; and that there was something about him that, even from afar, completely drew Kyuhyun in.

As Kyuhyun sat there that morning, he contemplated going into the cafe and talking to the boy, maybe asking his name. But as always, he came to the conclusion that no, he wouldn't go and talk to the boy. Why? He couldn't tell you; maybe he was too shy, maybe he feared whatever form of rejection he expected to get from a stranger, or maybe it was because he idolized his faraway love so much that he didn't think he was good enough for him. Whatever the reason, Kyuhyun sighed as he stayed seated on his bench watching the boy walk into the cafe.

And that was it. That was why he woke up early on a day when he had no classes. He woke up and got dressed so he could be on time to watch a stranger for 15 seconds as he walked into his job. Kyuhyun sat for a moment longer before he heaved himself up to reflect on how his life had turned out over a cup of coffee.

It was noon when Kyuhyun returned to his bench with a cup of coffee and a sandwich. He had six hours before Kangin would pick him up for their next hit.

Kyuhyun took a moment to look through the window of the cafe and watch the boy deliver a plate of some dessert to a table.

'He looks so perfect. We could be perfect,' Kyuhyun thought to himself. He had made it a habit of imagining his life with the boy from the cafe.

'What the is wrong with me?' He thought. Although he imagined a life with the boy, he did understand how ridiculous it was to be so infatuated with a stranger.

He shook his head and turned his attention to his sandwich. This was the calm before the storm that was to come when Kangin came. Kyuhyun chuckled to himself with the thought of Kangin learning about his little routine of watching a stranger; that would never go over well.

12:30pm rolled around and Kyuhyun sat up a bit straighter when he saw the boy walk towards the front door to the cafe. He watched as the boy stepped out of the cafe and took off his apron and rolled it in a ball. And with that, he turned down the street to head home. Kyuhyun grumbled to himself at how ridiculous his life had become that he was willing to wake up early and sit on a bench all day just to watch a stranger for a minute at the most.

Kyuhyun heaved himself up once again and started on his way back home. Now that his daily routine was over, he was free to think about what he and Kangin were to do later that day.

He always got a bit antsy on days where they were to break into someone's house, and rightfully so. Even though they never stole anything, what they were doing was still very much illegal; but it was such a rush, and that's what kept Kyuhyun at it.

He made it back to his house by 1pm and could not sit still for the life of him. All he could think about was their hit later in the day. So he paced back and forth, rearranging random things in his apartment, and even cleaning a bit. Anything to keep his mind occupied and to keep him busy. It seemed to work because he was shocked when he heard a knock on his door at 6:01pm.

He ran to the door to see exactly who he expected, Kangin.

“You're late,” Kyuhyun remarked snarkily.

“Shut up,” was Kangin's only response as he turned back out the door and headed to his awaiting car.

Kyuhyun went back in his apartment to grab a sweater and his backpack and ran out to meet Kangin at his car.

~

It was a silent drive to the targeted house. It was always a silent drive, both of them fighting back the nerves that always nagged at their conscience.

Kangin parked in the same hiding spot he had been parking in for the past two weeks, and finally broke the silence.

“Are you ready?”

Kyuhyun stared at the house for a moment before answering, “Of course.”

“Alright,” Kangin said, more to reassure himself that Kyuhyun wasn't going to back out than anything else. “A friend of mine installed their cable and they said they were leaving for a week long vacation today. He told me they had said they were to leave a few hours after their son came home from some sport practice. I'm assuming they should be leaving soon then.”

They watched the house, once again overtaken by silence. Nothing seemed to be happening for a while until a boy that seemed a few years younger then the two ran out of the house with a backpack on. They sat up straighter in their seats as the boy got in one of their cars and his parents stepped out of the house, luggage in hand. The father took his time locking the door and setting the alarm. Kangin snickered as he knew those locks wouldn't keep him out of the house. The father double checked the house before he got in the car with his awaiting wife and youngest son. There was a moments pause before the car started backing out of their drive way. Kangin and Kyuhyun watched from their hiding spot until the car was no where to be seen.

“I thought you said there were two sons,” Kyuhyun said staring at Kangin.

“I-I thought they did. I always saw a second son,” Kangin responded uneasily. He pulled out his notebook from the glove compartment; his notebook that Kyuhyun knew contained notes about the family and the house. “There was always a second son. And the two are basically twins, so there is no mistaking him as their son. I don't know what...” Kangin slumped forward on the steering wheel trying to figure out what the two should do.

He knew the family would be gone for at least a week, but he liked getting these things over with. Plus if any of the neighbors knew the family was leaving, they would think it was strange people were going into the family's house in the middle of the week. It was easier to believe the family forgot something and immediately sent someone to go in their house.

“Should we call it off?” Kyuhyun asked, getting more uneasy by the minute.

“Shut up,” was Kangin's only response; he needed to think.

A frustrated Kyuhyun turned to face front in his seat. He wasn't going to get caught because his stupid “freedom-fighter” friend rushed into a stupid plan.

“Why would he not go with them?” Kangin asked, to no one in particular. “Why would you leave one of your sons and then completely secure the house?”

Kyuhyun didn't want to answer. In his mind, he was already done with this mission.

“It's the son that sneaks around a lot. Maybe they sent him somewhere?” Kangin tried again.

“Are you willing to bet 5 years in jail on that?” Kyuhyun shot back, still not looking at him.

“Maybe they were picking him up somewhere?” Kangin was still trying to justify the circumstances in his mind.

“Yeah, and maybe they wouldn't mind us being in their house. I mean, I would be willing to bet 5 years in jail on that,” Kyuhyun said.

“Will you shut up, please?” Kangin shot at him.

“What do you want me to say, hmm? 'Oh! Let's just go for it, Kangin! If he comes home and sees us moving all their , we can just say his parents sent us! You know, tell him that they sent us in to rearrange the house. How we would explain chairs on top of the table and the microwave in the fridge, I'm not sure... OH! We could tell him we are new interior decorators and it's the new thing! Yeah and then we could say...'”

“Shut the up!” Kangin interrupted. “We're going in.”

“What? Are you ting me?” Kyuhyun yelled.

“In fact, I'm not ting you. We're going in. Put on the uniform I got you. If he comes home, we are there to fix the TV.” Kangin said sternly.

“You've got to be ing kidding me. You are functioning enough to realize there is a chance a kid walks in on us in his house, but you still want to go through with this?” Kyuhyun said, flabbergasted.

“Yeah.” Kangin stated and hoped out of the car to put on his cable company uniform his friend had lent him. He punctuated his statement with the slam of his car door. Kyuhyun sat by himself in the car, holding the uniform Kangin had given him, completely taken aback by the fact his friend was willing to continue with the plan. He was even more taken aback when he caught himself putting the uniform on.

'Why am I doing this?' Kyuhyun thought to himself. 'Well, Kyuhyun, here's why: you have absolutely nothing to lose. You have no family, no boyfriend, no one who honestly cares for you, and you are absolutely ing bored with your life. Doing something completely and utterly reckless is perfect! This is even better than the more thought out hits you've participated in. This is going to be fun!' Kyuhyun's conscience had even him now.

He stepped out of the car and walked around to Kangin.

“We are really doing this?” Kyuhyun asked one final time.

“Yeah.” For the first time out of all the runs Kyuhyun had been on with Kangin, he heard hesitance in his voice. However, he didn't have much time to dwell on it before they started up toward the house, backpacks in hand.