Chapter 6

Take Me Away

 

“Yes?” Kyuhyun asked when he entered the kitchen and saw Kangin. He suddenly felt the need to be polite to the older man. He didn't know what was in store for the near future.
 
“Was there anything nice in the kid's room?” Kangin asked pocketing the gun that had remained on the counter. Kyuhyun followed his every move, mentally noting where the gun was being kept should the information ever come in handy. This was no longer just another hit for Kyuhyun, this was something he needed to survive; a time where he needed to prepare himself to fight for his life, and if needed, for the life of Sungmin.
 
“What do you mean?” Kyuhyun finally asked, still a bit flustered and out of it to understand things quickly.
 
“I mean was there anything nice in the kid's room? You were in it for a bit before he came home; did you see anything?” He paused and stared at Kyuhyun's blank stare. “Expensive! Fancy! Stuff we could sell! How are you not understanding this? That's what you were looking for in the first place!” Kangin was getting a bit annoyed that his so-called partner was failing to keep up.
 
“...Oh! Umm..” Kyuhyun tried to think back at what he saw in Sungmin's room before he had been interrupted. However, he was coming up blank on anything expensive. His room had been simple, extremely so. There was a bed, a night table, a desk with a chair, school books, clothes on the floor and in the closet. The only things of some value were a laptop and a guitar in the corner that Kyuhyun had managed to notice. However, even those items were not of much value; the laptop seemed very old and the guitar seemed even older, Kyuhyun had even noticed at least one string was missing. “I-I don't think there was anything expensive in there. There was an old laptop and a really old guitar, but that's about it.”
 
“You're sure?” Kangin gave a stern face; his plan was to empty this house completely. To take everything and leave nothing behind. This was his final mission before his life was going to change. He hadn't told Kyuhyun, and he had felt a slight twinge of guilt when he realized what he had dragged his younger friend into; however, this was more important to him. Kyuhyun would find out in time, but for now, he just needed to follow along...for his own sake.
 
“Yeah. It was a really plain room, nothing fancy about it, not even a TV.” Kyuhyun spoke honestly. However, in the pit of his stomach, he seemed to feel happy that there was nothing of real value in Sungmin's room; he didn't want Kangin rummaging through his things. In fact, he didn't want Kangin to go anywhere near Sungmin or anything that related to Sungmin. When this realization hit him, he placed his hand over the picture Sungmin had wanted him to bring to the closet. In Kyuhyun's eyes, Sungmin was something precious that he needed to protect. And the fact that Kyuhyun saw himself as one of the causes of Sungmin's predicament made him want to protect him even more, if only to prove to himself that he wasn't part of the evil Kangin suddenly started showing.
 
“Alright.” Kangin answered. He sighed and began looking around the kitchen, presumably for anything worth a lot of money. He was in luck. As they had seen on their short self-given tour of the house, every room (except Sungmin's room, as it seems) was filled with expensive, valuable and collectable things. TVs in every room, vases or little statues in every corner. The house was filled with things to be taken and sold. Kangin's attitude began to lighten at his prospect.
 
“Alright. I have people coming over. Things are happening a bit differently, Kyuhyun.” Kangin began. He looked at Kyuhyun, who stood frozen with the same look of complete confusion and nervousness...and fear? Kangin felt another twinge of guilt, but he stiffly shoved it aside.
 
“What's going on?” Kyuhyun finally spoke. It was definitely fear that Kangin saw; he could hear it in Kyuhyun's voice.
 
“I promise it won't involve you after this. I needed you; you were the only one I trusted to actually carry out my plan. The people coming are just helping, you won't even have to talk to them; I don't want you to. I don't want them to see your face. I didn't want to get you tangled in this, and I don't want anything to be traced back to you. I won't...”
 
“Kangin! What's going on? What are you doing?” Kyuhyun interrupted Kangin's rambling.
 
“I-I need to get away. I'm...I'm robbing this house and leaving.” Kangin said flatly.
 
Kyuhyun stood frozen to his spot. This wasn't what this was about. They never stole! It was Kangin's own rule. Well, maybe it was a rule he made up to get Kyuhyun comfortable enough to join him, but it was a rule nonetheless. And this wasn't for money! From the beginning, it was never about money. That was Kangin's rule, too; but that was a rule he made on his own without thinking of Kyuhyun. This was Kangin's mission: to make rich people understand that money can't and won't buy them happiness or comfort.
 
~~~~
 
Kangin grew up in what people would call 'nice conditions.' At the time, he was known as Youngwoon, the name his parents had given him. As he grew up, even at a young age, he was able understood that his parents didn't love each other anymore. They fought daily, but refused to get a divorce; financial benefits and Kangin being their reasons for staying together. His father worked for a very large entertainment company. He wasn't in a very high position, but he made a good enough salary to provide very well for his family, and he had a steady position, or so he thought.
 
The company began to go under; a lack of sales and talent production was the excuse given. And Kangin's father was one of the first to go. He was left with nothing. The day he was let go, he went home to his stay-at-home wife and child, his desk things in hand. The fight that erupted that night when he explained to his wife what had happened forced Kangin to his room, forced him into his closet, forced him to listen to music loudly, and finally forced him to cry for his situation. He woke to the sound of his father leaving in a taxi; he didn't even say goodbye.
 
His parents had always fought with each other, and he had been able to understand and accept that they didn't love each other anymore, but for his whole life, he never once doubted that they didn't love him anymore. That day, while watching his father leave, the thought that his parents truly didn't love him pushed its way into his mind. The though would haunt him for years.
 
Four years later, Youngwoon, know referred to as Kangin, was living in a foster home. His mother had been unable to take care of herself, let alone Kangin, as well. Although the situation was a bit bleak, Kangin was never bitter. The act of his mother giving him up because she wanted better for him, gave him hope that at least, maybe, his mother loved him.
 
The foster family he lived in included nine children in total; four of which were the biological children of the parents. The married couple were very wealthy and in the public eye. Although having children of their own, the thought it would give them a good image to adopt other needy children. The favorites were brought to special events to be shown off and photographed to show just how much love and blind compassion the famous couple had; Kangin was not a favorite, he was simply a statistic. And yet he was still not bitter. He had what he needed and he would never go hungry; however, he was able to see the ways of the truly wealthy.
 
The couple who had taken him in worked for the same entertainment company that was supposedly 'going under.' The difference between them and his father was that they were higher up, they knew more people. The entertainment company had never been in trouble, it was never even close to going under, the higher ups simply wanted to sift the company out, get rid of the unnecessary; Kangin's father had been unnecessary. Kangin saw how safe and comfortable the couple and their children seemed. He learned that this comfort came from the wealth brought in. This family had nothing to worry about; even with nine children, there was not a fear of anything. Kangin hated this; he was disgusted by it. Maybe, he admitted, he was a bit bitter towards it. Why was his family forced apart; why was he forced away from his mother; why are there some families that will never have to worry about money or how they were to feed a family member; why was life that unfair? These were the questions Kangin had constantly running through his head.
 
It was during this time that he formulated his mission. To make wealthy families that had not a care or fear in the world, families who thought nothing could touch, understand that, yes, the world is, in fact an unfair place. He would pick families that seemed to have everything and make them fear losing it all. By breaking into their seemingly perfect houses, he could make them fear the unknown and fear their own comfort zone. They would second guess themselves every time they are alone in their house and hear a strange noise. This is what Kangin wanted; to simply form a crack in the beautiful dome wealthy people seemed to build around themselves.
 
But now, now things had changed. He needed to leave, he needed to get far, far away from any evidence of wealth; it simply reminded him of too many painful things. Life had proven its harsh unfairness, once again. Leeteuk, the man whom Kangin had dedicated the last three years of his life to, the man whom had held him when he cried over the misfortunes in his life, the man whom he had trusted enough to let into his mind, the very man whom he thought he could live the rest of his life with had left him. Left him for a wealthy man who could provide for him with much more ease than Kangin could ever wish to. And yet, Kangin was still not bitter. Leeteuk had left him, but he understood that Leeteuk was with someone better. With Kangin, the two would always struggle to keep a home and food on the table, with Leeteuk's new boyfriend, the two would never fear losing a house, would never even have to think of not having food on the table. 
 
He was not bitter, but he was human nonetheless, and he could not handle wealth and life's unfairness being shoved in his face every two feet. He needed to leave, and quick. But he needed money. In all honesty, robbing the home wasn't his idea. A few friends, or rather acquaintances, of Kangin's who dealt in illegal underground merchandise suggested the plan. Kangin was a bit taken aback at first, but when he thought about it, it was the best plan. He already had breaking into houses under his belt, it would be simple to then rob the house. His plan was fool proof.
 
~~~~
 
Kyuhyun stared at Kangin; he was still unsure of what his proper response should be.
 
“Oh.” was the best he could come up with.
 
“Yeah.” Kangin couldn't come up with anything much better. “I'm sorry, Kyuhyun. I truly didn't want to get you involved. I know you're against this. But it's all I could think of. I just need you to listen to me and do what I say. Nothing will happen to you, I promise.”
 
Kyuhyun simply hummed in response. He didn't trust Kangin. He had before today, hell, he had trusted him four hours ago; but not now, not anymore. He would go along with Kangin's plan and listen to him; however, he was on his own in this. He was not going to put his life in Kangin's hands. And he sure as hell was not going to put Sungmin's life in Kangin's hand. Kyuhyun's mission, now, was to get Sungmin and himself out of the house and as far away from Kangin as possible. Kangin was no longer the boy Kyuhyun had become friends with, even with the bit of sanity he was showing at the moment, Kangin was no longer Kyuhyun's Youngwoon.
 
“I don't want Sungmin to get hurt.” Kyuhyun blurted out.
 
“Who?” Kangin asked, genuinely confused.
 
“The boy we are holding hostage, in the closet. His name is Sungmin. I don't want him to get hurt.” Kyuhyun said flatly. Although he no longer trusted Kangin, he felt it was worth a shot to ask for one request.
 
“The kid? Why?” Kangin asked, not really caring for the answer.
 
“I-I just don't want anyone to get hurt. He doesn't deserve this.” Kyuhyun tried to hide his true reasons for wanting to protect Sungmin. He didn't want to have to explain that he felt responsible for the situation Sungmin is in, that he felt the need to protect him, that he had secretly been watching and obsessing over Sungmin for a while now, or that he thought that maybe, just maybe, he might be in love with the stranger. Because in all honesty, that's what Sungmin was to him, a mere stranger, and yet he was willing to fight for his safety. 
 
“Fine.” Kangin brushed it away.
 
“No. Promise me.” Kyuhyun said sternly. He wasn't asking to leave, he wasn't even asking for his own safety; the least Kangin could do for him now was to promise Sungmin wouldn't get hurt.
 
“F-fine. I promise.” Kangin answered. He could sense something more behind Kyuhyun's request, and he felt it was the last thing he could do for the boy before he was leaving for good. “For now, though, I need you to help me gather all the expensive stuff that will be easy to haul out of here. Okay?” Kangin said. It was almost as if he was genuinely asking Kyuhyun if he wouldn't mind helping he rob the entire house.
 
“...okay.” Kyuhyun answered. He was a bit numb to everything that was going on at the moment. Only his life and that of Sungmin was on his mind.
 
With nothing else to say, the two made quick work of gathering anything expensive into the front entrance. There were several TVs, two laptops, statues, vases and jewelry from Sungmin's mother's room all placed in a giant pile near the front door.
 
Just as Kyuhyun was dragging in a large stereo system from the living room, Kangin's phone rang.
 
“Everything is ready to be picked up.” Kangin answered without a 'hello.' Kyuhyun paused in his actions, unsure of what he should do next, or what was to come.
 
“You're here?” Kangin said into the phone as he moved to look out a window behind Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun turned around to follow Kangin's gaze and saw a big moving truck parked in the driveway.
 
“Yeah, everything is set.” Kangin ended the phone call. “Get the kid to his room. Keep him there and stay there yourself. Don't come down for any reason. Don't come down until I call you. I told you before I'm gonna keep you out of this.”
 
Kyuhyun just stared for a moment; yet again, unsure of what he really should do. In the back of his mind, being upstairs was not a good place to be when your intention was to escape the house.
 
“Do it!” Kangin said forcefully as he heard the people who were to help him rob the house get out of their truck. He didn't want Kyuhyun to be downstairs when they came in.
 
Kyuhyun jumped at the command and quickly ran to the closet that held Sungmin. He roughly opened the door, startling Sungmin.
 
“I'm taking you upstairs. Move quickly.” Kyuhyun said somewhat quietly as he grabbed Sungmin by the arms and tried to pull him up from the chair. It was only when Sungmin seemed unable to stand up straight that Kyuhyun remembered his legs and hands were tide to the chair. “!” Kyuhyun yelled as he shuffled behind Sungmin's chair to untie his hands first.
 
“What is it?” Kangin asked when he heard Kyuhyun curse. He turned to see Sungmin still sitting and Kyuhyun crouched down to untie his hands.
 
“!” Kangin echoed. “Move quickly!” He yelled as he headed to the front door to hold the two guys off and give Kyuhyun time.
 
Kyuhyun made quick work of untying Sungmin's hands and he moved to the front of the chair to untie his feet. Realizing the situation, Sungmin leaned forward to untie his other foot with his finally freed hands. When both feet were untied and Sungmin stood up facing Kyuhyun, he had a sudden urge to run. However, the look in Kyuhyun's eyes told him it may actually be a good decision to stay with Kyuhyun; that maybe his best option wasn't to be reckless at the moment.
 
Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin's arm and dragged him out of the closet and quickly up the stairs. He pushed Sungmin ahead of himself when he heard the front door opening. He took one last look behind himself and caught Kangin's eye before he was completely hidden upstairs.
 
Kyuhyun pushed Sungmin to get into his room quickly and when they were both in the room, he pulled the door closed and locked it.