Epilogue (1)

Take Me Away

 

~Three Months Later~
 
Sungmin sat against the fallen tree trunk beside the patch of flowers he had planted for Sunghee. His eyes were closed, but he was very much aware of everything around him.
 
He could smell the flowers and the trees. He heard ducks quacking as the swam by in the river. He could feel someone breathing beside him.
 
He opened his eyes to look at the boy beside him. The boy's eyes were closed, but something in Sungmin told him the boy was awake. 
 
Almost as if he could read his mind, the boy turned to look at Sungmin.
 
“It's really peaceful here.” Kyuhyun whispered, he didn't want to disturb the quite peace that surrounded them.
 
Sungmin had been battling with himself for the passed few weeks. He finally decided that yes, yes he would bring Kyuhyun here. He would introduce him to Sunghee, he would let him into his world. He decided that there was some more unfinished business he had, and he wanted Kyuhyun by his side when he stepped up to deal it.
 
Sungmin hummed in response. He looked across the river and breathed in the clean air. Everything was right. For the first time in his life, since Sunghee died, everything felt right, perfect. 
 
He no longer lived with his parents. Once Kyuhyun was released from the hospital, he invited Sungmin to stay with him, claiming that he wouldn't allow Sungmin to stay in his old house. So, together, they made one final trip back to the house and emptied his room. Sungmin's parents weren't home, so it was  quick and easy. Neither looked back to the house as Kyuhyun drove away, all of Sungmin's possessions in the back of his car.
 
The two had grown gradually closer, and after a month, Sungmin was beginning to accept the idea that he could love Kyuhyun, and that maybe he could allow Kyuhyun to say he loves him, too.
 
~
 
“Sungmin, can I talk with you?” Kyuhyun asked one night while they were eating dinner. A thought had been plaguing him for weeks now and he had gotten to the point where he needed to voice it to Sungmin.
 
Sungmin mumble a response around the mouthful of ramen he had stuffed in his face.
 
“Sungmin...It's been two months now and I...I know you don't want me to say it unless I mean it, so I gave it time, I gave you time...us time. But, Sungmin, my feelings haven't changed in the slightest.” Kyuhyun finished. He had put down his chopsticks and was looking Sungmin in the eye, trying to convey how serious he truly was.
 
Sungmin quickly swallowed his ramen before speaking. 
 
“It just hurts Kyuhyun...” Sungmin mumbled. He broke eye contact with Kyuhyun.
 
“What? What hurts? ...Me?” Kyuhyun rushed out, he was petrified of what Sungmin may be saying.
 
“When someone tells you they love you, but when things get tough, it becomes clear they really don't. ...It hurts.” Sungmin could feel his eyes start to sting. He swallowed and used all his will to keep the tears hidden.
 
“Sungmin...” Kyuhyun paused. He knew what Sungmin was talking about, but he didn't know how to face it head on. Sungmin was referring to his parents. From what Kyuhyun had gathered from the forced out stories of his past, Sungmin had been loved when he was younger, when his twin was still alive. He had been a happy kid with a loving family; however, after that fateful day, everything had changed for the worse. He had tried to be good for his parents, to be the child they wanted, but the tragic incident had tainted his image in front of his parents. 
 
Kyuhyun couldn't think of any other way to show how genuine he was.
 
He quickly stood up from the table and walked over to Sungmin. Sungmin was a bit shocked, but allowed his chair to be maneuvered to face Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin's hand and got on his knees. He held Sungmin's hand in Sungmin's lap as he organized what he was going to say. Sungmin only stared on, wide-eyed.
 
“Sungmin, I know what you are saying, I understand. But I'm not your parents. I would never treat you that way. Sungmin, I lo-” He stopped short when he felt Sungmin tense in his hands.
 
“I don't care what you say. You can't tell me I don't love you! Please, look at me!” Kyuhyun shook Sungmin's hand to regain all of his attention when he had looked away. “Sungmin, I love you.”
 
Sungmin tensed again, but he softened when he recognized the look in Kyuhyun's eyes. He remembered that look; he hadn't seen it in years. He was shocked that he actually recognized it, but there it was, clear as day, love. Kyuhyun loved him. He allowed the thought to sink in, to settle, and to flood his entire being. Kyuhyun loved him.
 
Sungmin gave up on trying to hide his tears. A thought ran through his head that no matter what he did to hide his tears, Kyuhyun could probably still see them; Kyuhyun was the only who could stop them, too.
 
He felt two hands encase his face as he was pulled up from his chair and pulled into a tight embrace.
 
“You didn't fight me on it.” Kyuhyun pointed out as he held Sungmin tight. “Does this mean you finally believe me?” He pulled Sungmin's face away from his chest to look him in the eyes. He rubbed away what tears he could while Sungmin tried to hide his face and runny nose. 
 
“I love you, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun repeated. “Can you let me?”
 
Sungmin stopped hiding his face and fighting Kyuhyun's gentle hands. He looked into Kyuhyun's eyes as his last tear was gently wiped away. 
 
“Kyuhyun...” Sungmin started. He didn't know how to continue; Kyuhyun seemed to understand.
 
“Can you let me love you, Sungmin?” Kyuhyun asked again.
 
Sungmin nodded as he felt more tears burn at his eyes. Kyuhyun tried to wipe the fresh set of tears, but his hands were pushed away and held tight.
 
“Kyuhyun... I-I... It's hard for me to say...” Sungmin trailed off. Kyuhyun felt his own eyes prickle with tears. He thought he knew what Sungmin was trying to say.
 
“Kyuhyun, I want to say it. I...K-Kyuhyun, I l-love you.” Sungmin struggled out. However, once he said it once, he wanted to say it again, and again, and again. He loved Kyuhyun. He loved Kyuhyun. “I love you, Kyuhyun.” He said more confidently.
 
The tears Kyuhyun felt prickle his eyes came full force. Everything was right in his world right now. He never believed that the imaginary life he had created for himself when he watched the quiet boy who worked in the cafe would ever come true. 
 
Kyuhyun took Sungmin's face in his hands again and leaned in close. He paused for a moment to make sure Sungmin was okay with everything. When he met no resistance, he moved in closer and initiated their first kiss.
 
~
 
Sungmin looked beside him to the tiny plastic-protected picture of Sunghee. In his mind, Sungmin felt Sunghee was wishing him good luck, was telling him he was happy for him, was telling him to move on.
 
“You sure you want to do this?” Kyuhyun asked when Sungmin caught his eye. 
 
“Yeah, I'm sure.” Sungmin said, a smile gracing his face to prove his claim.
 
Kyuhyun reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out the tiny picture frame of five-years-old Sungmin and Sunghee. The same picture frame that had brought Sungmin comfort in his ordeal.
 
Sungmin took the frame, which was now wrapped in a plastic bag. With one last endearing look, Sungmin placed it in the bed of flowers next to original picture of Sunghee. 
 
He let out a sigh and leaned closer against Kyuhyun. He felt an arm come from behind him and wrap around his waist. He felt warmer in the chilly early-fall air and leaned his head against Kyuhyun's shoulder. He was okay with this. He was okay with letting go of the security he found in the picture because he now had Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was his new security. 
 
They stayed like that for a while. Loosing track of time and place and only using each other to secure their place in the world. 
 
All of a sudden, out of no where, Sungmin shot up exclaiming that he had one more thing to show Kyuhyun. He leaned over the log that they were lounging against and pulled out Sunghee's guitar. 
 
“Huh? You're leaving that here?” Kyuhyun asked in disbelief. He had tried to convince Sungmin to play it, to take up lessons, but Sungmin had always refused. Kyuhyun had once tried to bring it over to him with a book for beginners, but was only yelled at for touching it and moving it out of its place form the corner of Sungmin's bedroom. 
 
Kyuhyun was still shocked Sungmin had brought it outside. However, he didn't fail to noticed the guitar had all new strings.
 
“No, no. I learned something, listen.” Sungmin said as he sat up and pulled the guitar onto his lap. He took a moment to strum each string individually to make sure they were all in tune. This alone caused a lump to form in Kyuhyun's throat.
 
But when he started playing a slow love song that Kyuhyun recognized, he forgot everything and just stared in awe. 
 
A few seconds into the song, Sungmin began to sing as well. Kyuhyun stared dumbly; he didn't even know Sungmin could sing. He watched Sungmin gently sway in time with the song, his eyes were closed peacefully as he emerged himself fully in the song he played. 
 
When he finished, he looked up at Kyuhyun, pride and love in his eyes. Kyuhyun simply continued to stare, his words failing to convey what he really wanted to say.
 
“Sungmin...” 
 
Sungmin simply smiled shyly and placed the guitar beside him before sliding back next to Kyuhyun. He had worked hard to master the song. It was Kyuhyun's favorite and he wanted to show him he had changed, that everything was better now. He wanted something to thank Kyuhyun for that. 
 
Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around Sungmin's waist again and pulled him to lay against him. He placed his chin on top of Sungmin's head and just held him. He hoped the action was enough to tell Sungmin that he understood exactly what Sungmin meant with the song.
 
Once again, they lost track of everything that wasn't each other. Kyuhyun squeezed what he thought was a sleeping Sungmin. He smelled his hair before sighing peacefully.
 
“I love you, Sungmin.” He said. He tried to say it as often as he could, so Sungmin could be sure he meant it.
 
A small smile flashed across Sungmin peaceful face. He nuzzled in closer to Kyuhyun before whispering, “I love you, too, Kyuhyun.”