Chapter 3

Take Me Away

 

They walked quickly and confidently up to the house. Kyuhyun forced himself not to look around, as he had been told off one too many times by Kangin for looking to suspicious. 'We need to look like we belong here!' he had growled to Kyuhyun on their first hit.

They made it to the door quickly and Kangin reached in his pocket for his lock pick and notebook. He swiftly opened the door with the lock pick, using his body to shield it from any onlookers. The two rushed in as the house alarm went off. Kangin then opened his notebook to a marked page and keyed in the series of numbers written on the page; the alarm clicked off.

“Piece of cake,” Kangin said with a smirk.

Kyuhyun just grumbled and turned to look at what they had gotten themselves into.

'Wealthy enough' was an understatement. They were in the front lobby of what seemed like mansion from the inside. Directly above their heads was a giant crystal chandelier. In front of them was a large curved grand staircase that led to the second floor. There was a door under the stairs that Kyuhyun guessed must have led to an office of some sort. To there left, there was a doorway that led to a dining room, and to there right, a doorway that led to a sitting room.

“Woah,” Kangin breathed when he finally turned his attention from the alarm and his notebook to the house he had led them to.

“Yeah,” Kyuhyun said with a slight chuckle. This was the biggest run they ever went on, none of the houses they had ever gone in had been this big.

Both of them had completely forgotten about the chance of the family's oldest son coming back.

~~~earlier~~~

Sungmin left the cafe around 12:30pm. His back hurt and he was exhausted from working; all he wanted to do was go home and sleep. But no, there was no peace for him there. His home was not the comforting place it had been when he was a child, when he was alive.

Instead he went to the usual place he escaped to. It was a little clear patch of grass in the bank of a local river; it was well hidden from any passersby. His father had taken him and his brother there a lot when they were really young, before his youngest brother was born.

Although Sungmin came here to rest and get away from his family, he almost always, albeit reluctantly, thought of his brother; his twin brother who was no longer alive.

It had been an accident, he knew it. Or he had convinced himself of it. Either way, this thought was the only thing that kept Sungmin going each day, with no support from his parents or his younger brother, Sungjin, who still had no full understanding of what had happened to the older brother he never got a chance to know.

Sunghee had been the favorite son when he was alive. It had just happened that way, but Sungmin didn't mind. He still loved his brother, and he knew his brother loved him; that was all he needed.

Sungmin sat against his usual log and looked over at a patch of flowers that didn't seem to fit the surrounding area. He had planted them years before, in remembrance of his brother.

“If you were still here, everything would be different,” he said out loud to no one. He had made it a habit of talking to his brother here.

He sighed and laid down. A little nap was what he needed.

When he woke up, it was 5:45.

“Whoops!” He hadn't meant to sleep that long. It was just so peaceful in his spot by the river; he always slept better here than he did at his house.

“Oh, Sunghee! I forgot to tell you that Mom and Dad are taking Sungjin on vacation for a week. They said they didn't care if I stayed by myself for the week. I have the house to myself! Maybe I can actually have a good night sleep? What do you think?” Sungmin said animatedly to the tiny plastic-protected picture of his twin that was nestled nicely in with the patch of flowers.

He kissed his finger and gently touched his brother's picture.

“I come back tomorrow, then. I'll tell you what it's like being in the house by myself!” Sungmin said as he stood up to make for his house.

~~~meanwhile~~~

Kyuhyun and Kangin had finished examining the living room’s giant flat screen TV that was mounted on the wall, when they decided to move to the second floor.

Kangin had moved quicker than Kyuhyun as he was over excited at how big of a hit he had chosen. Kyuhyun followed slowly behind. He enjoyed taking in the details of the people's houses; he found a sick interest in making there runs personal to the family. Instead of just rearranging the ordinary things that every family had like the TV, microwave, and lamps, he got enjoyment out of hiding family pictures, heirlooms, and things that looked as if they were special to someone.

It was this attention to detail that made him stop in his tracks midway up the stairs. He stared dumbly at the family portrait that hung on the wall next to his head. It was ordinary, he had seen dozens of family photos just like this one, had hidden half of them in refrigerators and the other half in bathtubs. But this one caught his eye.

He had never known any of the people whose houses they broke into, neither had Kangin. It was a bit of a silent rule to have no connection to the people.

Kyuhyun took the picture off the wall, it had to be a glare or something.

He stared once again at the family portrait, but there was no glare that hindered what he saw. There was a mother sitting in the front, and a boy a few years younger than himself sat next to her. Behind her was her husband, and beside him was their eldest son; the boy Kyuhyun knew from the cafe.

This couldn't be. Kyuhyun couldn't handle what had happened. He had helped to break into the house of the boy he had become completely infatuated with over the past few weeks. And now, there was a chance that very boy was going to walk in on him.

Kyuhyun quickly, and clumsily, hung the portrait back on the wall. Kangin heard the frame hit the wall and peaked out from one of the bedrooms upstairs to ask Kyuhyun what he was doing.

“No-Nothing,” Kyuhyun said while trying to shake the nervousness that suddenly flooded him. “I just want to hurry.”

“What?” Kangin asked as he fully stepped out of the bedroom to face Kyuhyun who finally made it all the way to the top of the steps. “You are always Mr. Detail. How are you all of a sudden in a hurry?”

“You're forgetting that we don't know where the other kid is. I just want to make sure we are here when he decides to show up.” Kyuhyun said.

“Ah, I see...Shut up.”

Kyuhyun cringed at the overly used command he always received from his friend.

“Look in that room,” Kangin pointed to a room at the end of the hallway. “I'm assuming this is the younger son's room. And the one across from here is the parents room; I'm gonna check there. You get the last one.”

Kyuhyun just nodded and headed to the room he was directed. Upon opening the door, his vision was flooded with pink. Everything was different shades of pink: the bed spread, the curtains, the desk lamp, the laptop on the desk. It was a bit overwhelming.

“Do they have a daughter?” Kyuhyun called from inside the room.

“No! Just two sons! Why?” Kangin shouted while going through the parent's dresser.

“Umm, no reason,” Kyuhyun half mumbled to himself; he had found something that caught his eye. It wasn't jewelry or something expensive, but he recognized it immediately. On the floor next to the desk was an apron that belonged to employees of the cafe. This was the boy's bedroom.

“So, he likes pink...” Kyuhyun mumbled while taking a second look at the room, finally able to appreciate it for whose room it was.

“What?” Kangin yelled from the parent's room.

“Nothing. Just looking around,” Kyuhyun responded while walking over to the desk. He started going through papers that were in a pile beside the laptop. They were school papers and he was looking for the boy's name.

“Ah... Lee Sungmin.” He said it out loud to himself. He liked the way it rolled off his tongue. He held the paper in his hand as he continued to look around the room. On the night stand next to the pink bed, there was a picture of two toddlers, about 5 years old.

Kyuhyun picked up the picture frame to get a better look. It looked like an old photo; not too old, but at least not very recent. The two kids in the photo looked exactly alike; twins, Kyuhyun assumed.

He then heard something that made him drop the frame and freeze.

'No,' was all he could think. He turned his head, wide-eyed, and held his breath as he tried to listen. 'This cannot be happening.'

Quickly and silently, he stepped to the doorway of the bedroom. He could see Kangin, who had stepped into the hallway. They looked at each other as the click of the front door closing confirmed their fears.

The eldest son had come home.