A Second Chance [Epilogue (2)]

Take Me Away

Siwon was pulling himself towards his gun while Kangin was struggling more and more to keep him in place.

 
“Go! Go now, Kyuhyun!” Kangin yelled as he tried, yet again, to get Siwon completely under him to hold him down.
 
Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin's still tied hands and pushed him in front of himself.
 
“Go, Sungmin! Go out the back!” Kyuhyun yelled as he pushed Sungmin to move faster. 
 
~
 
Siwon was slipping away from Kangin's grasp. Kangin made one last ditch effort to stop Siwon from reaching his gun by grabbing his legs and pulling him back a bit. 
 
Kangin risked a glance up to make sure Kyuhyun and Sungmin had made it out of the room. While his focus was interrupted, Siwon kicked his legs back as hard as he could, kicking Kangin solidly in the chest.
 
Kangin, who had been on his knees, toppled face first to the floor, the wind knocked out of him completely. Siwon crawled to his gun and quickly heaved himself up. His jaw hurt and his vision was wavering from the hard punches Kangin had gotten in before Siwon got away.
 
With his gun, Siwon walked to Kangin and flipped him over using his foot. 
 
“You're so ing stupid! You called us for help and now look at you!” Siwon yelled, his gun pointed down at Kangin. 
 
Kangin just grumbled, still trying to catch his breath; he still couldn't even see clearly. 
 
“ing idiot...” Siwon mumbled before he fired his gun and hurried out of the room to catch Kyuhyun and Sungmin before they escaped. 
 
Kangin didn't even make a sound. His eyes shot open when he heard the loud bang form the gun. He tried breathing, but the shock from everything had him struggling to catch his breath, yet again. He suddenly felt pain surge throughout his entire body; everything hurt. 
 
In a moment of clarity, he remembered thinking that death was supposed to be something more special than pain throughout his entire body. 
 
The world seemed to slow down suddenly. He began thinking of his life and what he had accomplished. Had he lived a successful life? In the midst of pain and the thought of dying, Kangin sniggered to himself. 'A successful life,' he thought. 'Sure...' He closed his eyes, trying to shut out the reality of everything that was happening. However, upon closing his eyes, it wasn't peaceful darkness that welcomed him.
 
Leeteuk was staring back at him. Kangin quickly opened his eyes and closed them again. He was dying, trying to find peace, and when he closes his eyes, Leeteuk is the one who greats him. He briefly hoped that Leeteuk had made it to his new boyfriend's house and was safe. He began to think of the time he had spent with Leeteuk. Had he at least made Leeteuk happy when he had the chance? Kangin sniggered to himself again, 'Happy? He left me.'
 
Kangin tried to slow his breathing, tried to welcome death that he was sure was coming. The pain had started easing away, no only focused on one spot near his heart. He thought, for a moment, that this was more how death should be, a bit less painful. 
 
Suddenly he heard a voice. The voice was shouting, but for some reason, it was a comfort for Kangin. It was shouting his name. 'Is it an angel calling me? Is this how death is,' Kangin thought.
 
Kangin continued to listen to the voice calling his name. It was starting to become clearer, and Kangin thought he was getting closer to death. When he felt his body being shaken, only causing the pain near his heart to intensify, did he think 'this is a weird way to die.' 
 
“Kangin! Kangin, wake up! Kangin!” The voice was still yelling when Kangin forced his eyes to open. It was a bit bright, but soon his vision cleared.
 
“L-Leeteuk?” Kangin mumbled, disbelief audible in his voice. 
 
“Oh, god! Kangin!” Leeteuk yelled, throwing himself over Kangin. His eyes were red and swollen from crying, his hair was a mess from sleeping, and he was still in pajamas; however, Kangin had never seen him look more beautiful. “Kangin! Oh, god, I thought you were dead!”
 
Kangin grunted when Leeteuk accidentally put pressure on his gun shot wound. Leeteuk shot up when he realized what he had done, but he stayed as close to Kangin as he could. 
 
“I'm not?” Kangin asked. 
 
Leeteuk just sniffled as he shook his head. “No, stupid. You right here.” 
 
Kangin took a moment to grasp the fact that he wasn't dead. He looked down towards his heart; however, he found that his gun shot wound was much more on his shoulder than near his heart like he assumed. 'That was a bit over dramatic...' he thought to himself, chuckling slightly. 
 
“Leeteuk, I-” Kangin began, but something  forced him to stop. Leeteuk was suddenly leaning back on him, pressing his lips to Kangin. 
 
Upon realizing what was happening, Kangin relaxed into the kiss, allowing the comfort to soak through him. 
 
Some scuffling beside him broke Kangin from his reverie. He broke the kiss to see what was happening, momentarily forgetting the danger Kyuhyun and Sungmin had been in. He watched, holding Leeteuk close, as two police officers dragged a bloody and cuffed Siwon by him and out the front door. 
 
“Where's Kyu-KYUHYUN!” Kangin was about to ask where Kyuhyun was when he saw him, bloody and unconscious, being carried through the house, Sungmin at his side. “Kyuhyun!” 
 
He tried to get up and move to Kyuhyun's side to wake him up; however, Leeteuk would not have it. He put all his weight on Kangin and forced him to lay down, even going so far as to press on his wound to weaken him.
 
“Kangin. Kangin! Stop! He's in good hands. Don't move, you'll only hurt yourself more!” Leeteuk yelled as he used all his might to keep Kangin down. 
 
Just then, two EMTs ran to Kangin's side with the bed to move him to the ambulance. Leeteuk was pushed away a bit, but he continued to hold Kangin's hand. 
 
When the EMTs lifted Kangin in the bed and tried to move him, Kangin's hold on Leeteuk's hand grew tighter.
 
“L-Leeteuk, don't leave me! If just for now, please stay with me for a little bit longer. Please, Leeteuk, I-I'm scared.” Kangin sounded panicked. He never thought he would admit to being scared ever, but in all honesty, he was, he was very scared. Scared of his injury, scared of what his future would be like, scared for Kyuhyun, and scared that he would loose Leeteuk again. 
 
Leeteuk felt more tears prick at his eyes, and he gave Kangin's hand a squeeze as the EMTs walked towards the ambulance. “I won't Kangin. I won't. I will follow you to the hospital...I will follow you anywhere...” Leeteuk whispered the last part to himself. He knew it all along, he just needed to admit to himself. Facing an almost dying Kangin had really put it in perspective for him: he loved Kangin. He loved Kangin with all his heart. It had been hard for them when they were together; Kangin was damaged. But Leeteuk knew now that he wanted to be there for Kangin. He wanted to be there and watch Kangin put the pieces of his life back together, and even help if he could. 
 
He let go of Kangin's hand when they loaded him in the back of the ambulance, reassuring him that he won't leave, that he will meat him in the hospital. 
 
~
 
At the hospital, Kangin was taken to the operating room to remove the bullet from his shoulder. It was a quick and easy operation as the bullet had not hit anything vital; only a few stitches were necessary before he was released to a normal hospital room. 
 
Leeteuk walked into the room silently when the doctor told him Kangin was fine to see. 
 
Kangin's eyes were closed as he had finally succumb to sleep after all of the day's events. Leeteuk walked up to his bed, pulling a chair with him. He sat down and grabbed Kangin's hand. It was handcuffed to the bed post, but there was still enough room for Leeteuk to hold it. 
 
Siwon and Han Geng had confessed that it was Kangin who called them, that Kangin had been the mastermind behind everything. 
 
Leeteuk could feel tears prickle his eyes again, and he let go of Kangin's hand for a moment to wipe them away. 
 
“Why did you let go?” Kangin whispered hoarsely. He opened his eyes to just a slit, he was still tired and barely able to stay awake. But feeling familiar hands on his brought him out of his daze. 
 
Leeteuk quickly looked to Kangin and stood up to get closer to him. “Kangin?”
 
“Why did you let go of my hand?” Kangin repeated.
 
“Oh...” Leeteuk mumbled, a grin pulling at his lips. He took Kangin's hand in his once again. “Better?” 
 
Kangin simply nodded.
 
Leeteuk chuckled a bit at the same cheesy-ness Kangin had shown at times when they were together. 
 
“Go back to sleep. I will still be here when you wake up. I'm not going anywhere, I promise.” Leeteuk said, running one of his hands over Kangin's eyes to force him to close them. He sat back down beside Kangin's bed, still holding Kangin's hand. Sleep eventually claimed both of them. 
 
~
 
In the morning, Leeteuk was told he had to leave Kangin's room as the police needed to speak with him. Leeteuk left after reassuring Kangin that he would get food for the both of him and that he would be right back. As he left, two police officers brushed his shoulders as they walked into the room. He could feel something heavy in his chest.
 
He was finally able to admit to himself that he loved Kangin more than anything and that he wanted to be back with him, but now he was going to be arrested. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he walked to the hospital cafeteria to look for Kangin's favorites. 
 
Before he went to find food, he found Kyuhyun's hospital room. No one was in the room, so he went to check on the unconscious boy. He pushed the hair from his forehead and told him Kangin was okay. He kept repeating that everything was going to be okay, that Kyuhyun just needed to wake up and everything would be right again. 
 
He didn't realize he was being watched by a wide-eyed Sungmin peaking through the in-room bathroom door. Leeteuk left with a final, everything will be right again, to the unresponsive Kyuhyun.
 
When he returned to Kangin's room, Kangin was pale, starring blankly at the ceiling. 
 
“W-what happened? What did they say?” Leeteuk asked as he reclaimed his seat next to Kangin.
 
“Two years,” was all Kangin said.
 
“Huh?” 
 
“Two years. When I'm released from the hopital, I have two years in prison. K-Kyuhyun is free. I lied. I told the police that he came in the middle of everything to save Sungmin. I-I can't let him get in trouble for this. He still has a chance...”
 
Leeteuk, for the nth time now, felt tears once again prick at his eye. Kangin took all the blame so that Kyuhyun could forget it all and start a better life? Maybe Kangin was already starting to put the pieces of his life back together.
 
“I'll wait. I'll wait for you.” Leeteuk said steadfast. 
 
“B-but Heechul?” 
 
“I-it wouldn't work...I...He saw it. That I still lo-...That I still love you, Kangin. I love you, Kangin. And this,” Leeteuk used his hands to motion to everything around them. “All this. Was the slap in the face I needed. I'm sorry, Kangin. I'm sorry I left, I'm sorry this is how things turned out, I'm sorry. I'm just sorry, Kangin.” 
 
Leeteuk felt the tears that had been pricking at his eyes finally fall down his cheek. 
 
“If I could, Leeteuk, you know I would wipe your tears, right?” 
 
Leeteuk nodded, only more tears falling. “I know you would.” 
 
“You don't have to wait for me. But your stubborn, so I know you will. I-I love you, Leeteuk. I always have.” Kangin said. He could feel tears pricking at his eyes, too. 
 
“Two years isn't that long.” Leeteuk mumbled. “I'll be alright. We will both be alright. Everything will eventually be right again.”
 
~Three Years Later~
 
“Kangin! Can you please, at least, put the dirty dishes in the sink! Jesus! You always leave them everywhere, and I keep finding half empty cups around the house! Put them in the sink!” Leeteuk yelled as he was busy running around the house to clean before their visitors arrived. 
 
“God! Now we have barely any clean dishes for when they come over! God, Kangin! Why do you d-OH!” Leeteuk squeaked as he was suddenly hugged from behind. 
 
“Do you ever stop ing?” Kangin said, resting his head on Leeteuk's shoulder. He nuzzled his chin into Leeteuk's neck, half because it was warm and comfortable, and half because he knew it would annoy Leeteuk.
 
“Kangin~! Stop. You're so annoying sometimes. But, since you're here, you can help wash dishes, right!” Leeteuk piped up as he turned around to hand Kangin a dirty dish. Kangin quickly backed away holding his hands up, chuckling at how the tables had turned.
 
“Uh...I think I have to take a shower now. You wouldn't want me to be smelly when our visitors come, right?” Kangin said as he backed away to the hallway.
 
“Yeah, yeah. I wouldn't expect anything less from you Kangin. Go shower. And hurry! I think they said an hour before they get here, hurry!” Leeteuk yelled as he turned back to cleaning the dishes.
 
Kangin emerged from the shower to find Leeteuk setting the table for four. 
 
“Sungmin and Kyuhyun will like this, right?” Leeteuk said, backing up from the table to get a better look at his table set.
 
“It's really...pink.” Kangin responded.
 
“Well, Kyuhyun said Sungmin loved pink. I feel like this is sort of a welcoming dinner for Sungmin, don't you think? We've never had them over and I wanted it to be special for him.” 
 
“They'll like it, Teuk, relax. Kyuhyun's just excited to finally bring Sungmin over here. We've eaten over their house before; it's not like he's never met us.” 
 
“I know, I know. I just want him to feel welcome. Kyuhyun told me it takes a long time for him to warm up to things.” 
 
“I know, he told me, too.” Kangin said as he moved behind Leeteuk, to hug him and rest his chin on his shoulder again. “But Kyuhyun has been good for him. He's helped him a lot.” 
 
“Yeah...” Leeteuk said, leaning into Kangin's hold.
 
“Just like you to me.” Kangin said. Once again tucking his chin into Leeteuk's neck.
 
“Urgh~ Stop it!” Leeteuk said as he playfully elbowed Kangin away. But Kangin wouldn't be pushed away that easily. He held Leeteuk tight before he leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.
 
“Mehh~ You're so cheesy, Kangin.” Leeteuk said as he pushed a chuckling Kangin away from him.
 
“You love it.”
 
“You've changed.”
 
“Huh?”
 
Leeteuk had a glint in his eyes before he continued. “You used to only have random cheesy moments. Now it's all the time.”
 
“Are you complaining?” 
 
“No. I didn't say that. It's just...It's just nice. You've changed, and I like it.” 
 
Kangin moved to hug Leeteuk. “It's because of you, you know?” He said as he brushed a stray hair out of Leeteuk's eye. 
 
“I know.” Leeteuk said, smugly. 
 
“Oh, that's how it is? A bit proud aren't we?” Kangin said as he kissed Leeteuk quickly on the lips.
 
“Yes, that's exactly how it is.” Leeteuk said.
 
Kangin moved in to initiate another kiss, this one more passionate and slower than the previous one. 
 
The doorbell rang, announcing their visitors had arrived, but they didn't move. The stole a moment for themselves, before finally breaking the kiss to greet Sungmin and Kyuhyun.