Imma New Thang

Welcome to Heaven's Gate (a U-KISS x After School drama)

The boys arere all changed and meet in the room, which music and lights are turned off. Ki Seop, dressed casual is behind the counter with Mama. There are dirty glasses all over it. They all look a bit tired.


Kahi : Boys, tomorrow, come around 7 P.M. It might be enough. Don't forget your suits. Ah, and... One a well, a different kurofuku stays with me to keep on cleaning the dishes and the tables. I want to count on you to warn your families tht once a week, you'll be home latter. Since your little sister is ill, Hoon, this week, we'll be getting by in another way. How old is she?

Hoon : She's nineteen. And in fact... She didn't catch a cold or something, she's got a rare disease and... She can't get outside at all.

Kahi : Oh, I see. Soory, I ddn't know. In this case, we'll find another solution. Don't worry about that.

Soohyun : Can't Dong Ho stay at night, once a week?

Hoon : No, not every week. Depends on his courses.

Kevin : Do you want me to ask Lizzy to stay with her? She likes Ara very much, I'm sure she will agree.

Kahi : You're not obliged to answer right now. See it with your friends first and if you really can't, we'll make anarrangement. Come on, go back, it's late.

 

They're all greeting Kahi and Ki Seop and everyone get out. Outside, the four hostesses are chatting in front of the building.

 

Hoon : I leave, I have to catch a train... See you tomorrow.

All : See you.

Yoo Jin : Until where are you taking your train?

Hoon : Takadanobaba. That's where I live.

Yoo Jin : No joke? Me too, I live in this area. Can we go together?

Hoon : If you want to.

 

They're leaving their way after saying good bye to everyone. Kevin lives the closer to the club and leaves to take a bus farther.

 

Soohyun : Kyung Jae, Jae Seop, how do you go back home? I have borrowed a motorcycle to come here, I can bring someone with me. There is an additional helmet.

Ga Eun : Juyeon got a car, she's going to Shin-Okubo... She's driving  me back home, I live in Harajuku. If you guys are on the way, she won't be bothered.

Juyeon : It doesn't bother me at all, even. When you have a car, that's better to have it filled up.

Jae Seop : I live in Yoyogi.

Kyung Jae : And me in Shinjuku.

Juyeon : That's perfect, it's right on my way. Come on, meine kinder!

 

They greet Soohyun goodbye, as he's leaving, then they're following Juyeon to her car.

 

 

Hoon and Yoo Jin are running in the Hibiya's station. Since she always wears high heel shoes, it's complicated for her. Thankfully, they're arriving right on time to get the last train. It's almost empty. There's only an old woman half-sneezing on her seat. They're sitting side to side but can talk only once they have caught their breath.

 

Hoon : Is it going to be like this all the time?

Yoo Jin : Do you want the nice lie or the horrible truth?

Hoon : I guess it means yes...

Yoo Jin : We can take the train together every night if you want...

Hoon : You don't live with your brother?

Yoo Jin : No. I'm the youngest and find it boring to be mothered all the time.  That's why I left my childhood house to live my own life. Ki Seop has his job at the Heaven's Gate, thanks to me. Hey... Hoon?

Hoon : Yeah...

Yoo Jin : Can I ask you something that's a little private? What's your little sister's disease?

Hoon : Oh, this. That's an uncurable disease. The part of her brain ordering her motor functions is deterioring. There are moments when she can't move her legs, arms, hands, hips or nape at all. There's an operation able to postpone the effecs but it's really expensive. And sooner or latter, she won't be able to move at all.

Yoo Jin : How pity. It makes me sad for her. I'm sure she's someone nice.

Hoon : She is. And she's really smart too. She doesn't like to be regarded as a sick person. She's a fighter. Since our parents have passed away, we can only rely on each other.

Yoo Jin : I understand.

Just to hear that this brave young woman was fighting, relying on a sweet and caring big brother, it's bringing tears to her eyes, but she keeps it to herself, because she doesn't want Hoon to feel bad about it. And... Seeing him being so close and adorable to his little sister, she said to herself as she looked at his profile that she really wanted to know him better.

 

 

 

Jae Seop has got off first, and now, it was Ga Eun's turn to leave. Getting off the car, she's thanking Juyeon, then greets Kyung Jae as if she always have known him. But, though she's walking away, Juyeon doesn't start the car immediately. She's turning to a surprised and wondering Kyung Jae.

 

Juyeon : Could you please climb in the front?

Kyung Jae : Why? Is there a problem?

Juyeon : No... But if you stay behind, bambino, it feels like I'm drinving a taxi. A little weird.

Kyung Jae : Oh yes, sorry. No problem.

 

He's getting off the car and comes to take the seat which was taken by Ga Eun earlier. Right after he fastened his seatbelt, Juyeon finally starts again. Even if she seems to be focused on the road and nothing else, she's glancing to Kyung Jae, from time to time.

 

Juyeon : How do you feel about that very first night? Did you find it too hard? I know there was a lot to remember.

Kyung Jae : No, I thought it was ok. But you really bluffed me earlier.

Juyeon : What do you mean?

Kyung Jae : In the way you behaved with Wang-seonsaengnim... You looked like a completely different person.

Juyeon : That's what it takes to do this job. You have to play a role. Rubbing the costumer in the right way...

Kyung Jae : Don't you think it lacks a little of honesty?

Juyeon : It's not about honesty. It's only a game and the both sides know it.

 

Kyung Jae is nodding. He's starting to understand all the refinements of the host job... And can't help thinking it's a bit hypocrite. Is he going to be able to do it? He doesn't really know...

 

 

Passing by the entry, Hoon is taking off his shoes. He's feeling tired and can't wait to go to bed. He's switching on the lights... Ara is lying on the floor in front of the fridge and doesn't seem to move. Immediately, he's rushing to her, scared as hell something horrible could have happend. There's a bottle on the floor, which transparent liquid has spread all over the kitchen a huge puddle.

 

Hoon : Ara!! Ara!!

 

She's opening her eyes and gives him a weak smile. Hoon's sighing of relief as he's lifting her in his arms, to bring her to her room which door is wide opened.

 

Hoon : What did happen? And where is Dong Ho?

Ara : I told him to go back home.

Hoon : But I told you...

Ara : I know what you said but he looked tired and it made me sad. He didn't want to leave so I told him you sent a message to say you would be here soon.

 

He's putting her on her bed in a sitting position.

 

Ara :

I was a bit thirsty so I got up to take something in the fridge. But those damn legs didn't agree and I feel before I could even take a sip.

Hoon : Ara, you know you should take the wheelchair when you want to move. Why didn't you?

Ara : I don't like that chair. I'm feeling like a disabled person when I take it.

Hoon : Yes, I know and I know we already had this conversation. It's reckless. You have to be more cautious. I'm going to mop up the water and to take your medicines.

 

One minute latter, he's back in the room with a glass of water and colorful pills. Ara is opening as he's putting his medicines between her lips, then makes her drink the glass. It makes her feel sorry about her brother, always caring about her, sometimes forgetting his own life for her... How she wished things wold be different. How she wished he didn't have to work so hard to buy that chair she doesn't want to use, all because of her pride...

 

Hoon : What about the rest? Can you feel your fingertips? Does your neck hurt?

Ara : Yes, everything's alright. Tell me about your new job instead. Are people nice? What about the girls? Are they pretty?

Hoon : Everyone is really nice. And you know, I've got other things to do than thinking about girls.

Ara : You always say that but I know you lie. I'd like you to meet a sweet an cute girlfriend. Oppa, you're always caring about the others but there never is anyoneto care about you. When I'm blue, I've got Dong Ho to comfort me but who's there to comfort you when you're down?

Hoon :

This is my own problem. Don't worry, I'm fine this way. I don't need a girlfriend. Take a rest, now, it's late. You certainly are tired.

Ara : Yes. You certainly are too. Go to bed, I'm going to fall asleep quickly, there's no need for you to stay around.

Hoon : Are you sure?

Ara : I told you so. Come on, leave.

She's looking at him until he leaves the room, after switching oof the lights and closing the door. As she's slipping herself between the sheets, Ara can't help thinking about that conversation... Even if Hoon's saying he's not feeling alone sometimes, she knows it's not true. Yes, he had his friends. They were good, close, and always there for each other but the love of someone was something precious, bringing happiness like nothing else and she wanted it for her brother. He deserved it so much after all the time he has spent neglecting his own happiness.

 

 

It's very late when Kevin is back home. All the rooms are plunged into darkness. In their bedroom, Lizzy is asleep. As discretly as possible, he's stripping off to wear tee-shirt boxer shorts, and slips himself between the sheets. Just when he thinks he's saved, Lizzy is waking up suddenly, turning on the lights.

 

Lizzy : Ah ah! Red-handed! Caught in the act after staying out all night. Woo Seung Hyeon... What did you do to be home that late? What's the name of the ?

Kevin : Lizzy... It's not t all what you think it is. I'm only back from work and...

 

Eyebrows frowned, she's moving her face forward his neck and starts to sniff out. He's staying petrified, unable to move a sinle thing, until Lizzy is suddenly taking her cushion and hits him several times on his head.

 

Lizzy : I knew it! I can't believe it. How dare you do this to me? I can't believe it, I just can't believe it! You're stinking girls' perfume. I knew you would do that to me one day. I should have listened to my mom.

 

He's trying to protect himself with his arms but it's hard to resist the energic attacks of the young girl.

 

Kevin : Stop it! Stop it! It's not at all wht you think. I've got a new job. It lasted 'til late and it's a little far. That's an host club...

 

Lizzy is stopping a few seconds, trying to think straight. Kevin thinks it's finally over... But he has forgot a detail which Lizzy won't miss.

 

Lizzy : Hey!!! That's a job where you have to flirt with girls!

 

And here she starts hitting him again.

 

Lizzy : You have no right to do such a job! Have you lost your mind? Tell me you lost your mind.

Kevin : I'm only a waiter there, the hosts are Kyung Jae and Soohyun! Call them and ask. They will tell you.

 

Lizzy hits him one or two more times, before stopping for real, still with a frown on her face.

 

Lizzy : Can you swear you're not the one paid to flirt with girls?

Kevin : I swear it on Livin.

Lizzy : Well... Let's admit I believe you. Where is that club? What's the name of it?

Kevin : The Heaven's Gate. By the way, once a week, I'll be home latter again.

Lizzy : Why?

Kevin : Don't get mad. We have to clean things after duty. There's a roll over to make sure the boy staying is different each night. Matter of fact, would it bother you to watch over Ara nights when it's Hoon's turn and Dong Ho's unavailable?

Lizzy : No, it wouldn't. But I demand two conditions.

Kevin : Which are...?

Lizzy : First one : nights when you work latter, I want to pick you up there.

Kevin : Agreed. What's the other condition?

 

Lizzy is offering her cheeks out and points her finger on it, looking mischievous. He's pecking her cheeks and she looks satisfied, showing a big smile and no more frown. Yes, she's very jealous but it's quite easy to understand : Kevin is the only thing she's got now.

 

 

Soohyun's clock is showing eight and a half. In his room, there only are his bed, a bedside table, a closet and boxing and Tae Kwon Do trophies on the floor, next to an old muscle-development exercices table. A few picture are pinned on the wall, most of them showing Soohyun and his friends as kids, graduated from Hig School, but there's one of a young woman dressed in an hanbok, holding a bay on her laps. Lying on his bed, he's peacefully sleeping, when someone is opening his door wide and, stepping inside the room, opens the shutters of the window, letting the sunlight passing by. It's an elderly woman, with a bun, leaning on a cane. She's strangely looking like the young woman dressed in hanbok on the picture, only much older.

Grandma : Soohyun, wake up! You're not going to have a lie... Look how the weather's beautiful!

 

He's tossing his blanket above his head to hide from the sunlight and turns in the other side.

 

Soohyun : Harmeoni... I told you yestarday I have a new job lasting 'til late. I didn't sleep much, please.

Grandma : I have completely forgot. It's because of my age. I'm an old perso, you know. Going to the market. Do you want something?SOMETHING?

Soohyun : You won't go to the market on your own... Pfft. I got it. I'm up.

 

He's sitting on his bed, still groggy, fixing up his hair and rubbing his face, than he's catching his tee-shirt and wears it.

 

Grandma : But I won't be on my own. The little neighbor, Kitano, she's coming with me.

 

Immediately, he's lying back on his bed and gets back his blanket over his head. His Granny was crazy about that girl and always wanted to stick them together. But Soohyun never liked her. She isn't his type at all, physically or mentally. He wants to have someone witty and bright. A girl that would be something special.

 

Soohyun : If she's here, you don't need me.

Grandma : Why are you so mean when it comes to her? This young girl is so nice, nicer than your last girlfriend. I like her a lot.

Oh yes, he knows it. Since he was a kid, his Granny was inviting the girl any time, for any occasion... If he would have liked her one day, it would have already happend!

 

 

In Ara's bedroom, Dong Ho is bringing her medicines, along with her breakfast. On the tray, there are several colorful pills, with a tall glass of a white liquid. He's putting his tray in front of her and she's having a disgusted smirk.

 

Ara : Oh no! I forgot it was the day of that awful something. Shall I really drink it?

Dong Ho : Really. And I'm here to make sure you're going to take it.

Ara : It's atrocious. That's easy for you say it. You're not obliged to drink it.

Dong Ho : Oi, stop acting like a baby. You know it's for your own sake. Come on, drink...

 

Unwillingly, she's doing it so. Once the glass is over, Dong Ho is wiping , and Ara takes an advantage of it to kiss him.

 

Ara : See? It's disgusting, right?

Dong Ho : Not that much. It's never disusting as long as it comes from you.

 

Hoon has seen the whole scene. When Dong Ho and Ara are together, thinking no one cans see them, they always are adorable... He's knocking at the door and the couple is turning around to face him.

 

Hoon : Annyeong. How are you doing today?

Ara : I'm doing fine, opa. Are you going outside?

Hoon : Yes, I have to meet Kyung Jae. He knows a good plan to buy luxury suits for nothing. I need it, you know, for work.

Ara : Alright. That Kyung Jae! I used to call him Eli-Bear in High School... Do you remember?

Hoon :

Of course I remember. You always liked to find a nickname for everyone. I'm going now. I'll come back before work.

Ara : Fine. See you.

Hoon let the lovers together. Anway, as long as there is Dong Ho with her, he knows his little sister is between good hands. Just when he's arriving down his building,  his phone is ringing.

 

Hoon : Yoboseyo? Ah, Kyung Jae... I'm juste leaving. I'm taking the yamanote and here I am. Jae Seop's with you? Great!

 

Suddenly, a young girl is bumping into him. She's holding a coffee paper cup in her hands and it spills on his pants. Immediately, embarrrassed and apologizing, she's grabbing an handkerchief to wipe her mistake.

 

Yoo Jin : Sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm such a clumsy aof!

Hoon : Yoo Jin?

Yoo Jin : What? Oh, that's you, Hoon! I didn't pay attention... My goodness! Are you living around here?

Hoon : Yes. The building right here.

Yoo Jin : I live just the other side of the street. Funny, don't you think? We're really close.

Hoon : Er... Geographically, you mean?

Yoo Jin : Yes. I apologize for your pants. Guess Bekah was right... I'm a good to nothing!

Hoon : It's not serious. I'm close from home so that's fine. I'm going to get changed and no more problems.

Yoo Jin : I'm sorry, though. I'll do anything you want to repay you. Would you like a coffee? They're selling real good ones just over there.

Hoon : It's all right, don't worry. I can't go now, Kyung Jae and Jae Sep are waiting for me. I'd better get changed now. See you tonight at the club?

Yoo Jin : Alright. See you tonight.

 

He's turning back to go back home, not without taking a last look at that cute young clumsy woman.

 

 

The boys are stepping into the main room where the hostesses already are, reunited around Juyeon at one of the tables. They all are exchanging things and laughing out loud. Intrigued, they're going closer to see what they're doing. Ga Eun suddenly pops up and block the way with her arms wide open in front of them. They're noticing that Bekah does not participate, cornered all alone and talking on the phone.

 

Ga Eun : Oops. Forbidden to boys, sorry. None shall pass!

Jae Seop : Why? Are you doing illegal traffics or something?

Ga Eun : Not at all. But that's a girlie thing. It's no guys' business. Nothing to do with you...

Kevin : But you look like having a lot fo fun. I want to know what you're doing.

Juyeon : Ga Eun-ah... Kevin's got a girlfriend so let him come. But he's the only one. The others are not wanted, sorry, mes petits amours.

 

Proud of himself, Kevin is passing by Ga Eun and comes to sit in the couch facing th table with the girls.

 

Soohyun : I wonder what the hell they're doing. Doesn't it sound sleazy?

Kyung Jae : Yeah, pretty much. Maybe that really are illegal stuffs.

Jae Seop : All you have to do is to go and check it out!

 

He's trying to force a path but Ga Eun is standing on the way. She's blocking with her back, gripping the chairs with all her strength not to let him step closer and he's shoving her at the same time.

 

Jae Seop : Come on, let me see what is is... Come on...

Ga Eun : Kyaaa, no! I will never give in! You can try as much as you want, you moron!

 

Kevin, with a disgusted face, comes back to his other friends. He dosn't dare looking to the girls' couch at all.

 

Soohyun : What are you doing here? You're the lucky one able to know what's going on here. Look the hard time he's having with Ga Eun-ah...

Kevin : There are strange objects on the table, it scares me. Looks like stuff from Juyeon's second job. It's a little disgusted.

Yoo Jin : Oh, what's this thing? So funny! There are mad people on earth to have thought about creating such a thing!

Ki Seop : Yoo Jin!! Put it down!

 

They're all turning around. They haven't seen Ki Seop, Ki Bum and Jun arrived from behind. The game between Jae Seop and Ga Eun stops immediately, as well as the girls' laughters. Bekah has an half smile, a sardonic smile. There's a sudden bleak mood floating above everyone's head. Angry, Ki Seop is going to the table and forces Yoo Jin to put the object down.


Yoo Jin : I'm doing nothing wrong, oppa. It's just for fun!

Ki Seop : Is that really your idea of fun?

Juyeon : Aren't you a little too much?

Ki Seop : You, try erting my little sister again! What if a costumer arrived now. What would he be thinking? Do you think our reputation isn't bad enough?

 

Boys are looking at each other in shock. They're all very surprised since Ki Seop has been very nice and caring until then. It's the first time they see him like that. But regarded to the others' expressions, it happens all the time. Hoon feels sorry for Yoo Jin, who's looking hurt. And, just like they haven't saw the three boys arriving, they didn't see Mama, neither, out of her office.

 

Kahi : Get on with it! I know times are hard for all of us but please try to keep your calm. Getting angry won't help anyone, Ki Seop. Now, Juyeon will avoid doing her second job here in the future. Juyeon?

Juyeon : Yes, Mama. Please, accept my apologies.

Kahi : Come on, settle for duty. I'd like to tell you tonight's the first night for real changes. But I don't want to put false hope in anyone's mind. Boys, if you are disappointed and one of you wants to leave, I won't be holding any grudges against you.

 

Latter. If last night, the club had been particularly calm, tonight, it was worse : it was empty. There's no one and the music is playing for no one. In silence, they're all waiting at their spot. As the minutes are going by, they're all feeling less and less hopeful.

 

Lee Young : There's no one. What are we going to do if the situation doesnt change?

Ga Eun : Don't think about it. There obviously will be someone stepping inside. One month ago, we were the most popular club of the kind. There's no reason for it to stop suddenly.

Bekah : Naive girls... Of course, there's a reason. And you know it all!

Yoo Jin : I really wonder why you keep on coming here everyday. You're always hopeless.

Bekah : There's a difference between being hopeful and being realistic and one of the two won't help anyone. You have to stop burying your head in the sand.

Ki Bum : Stop it. It won't help to argue, neither.

Ga Eun : He's right. And that's not how costumers are going to overflow.

Soohyun : There is something I don't understand. Juyeon, you are the number one of the hostesses, right? So, how is it possible that, with you still here, there aren't more costumers to see you?

Juyeon : It's all because of the Gorgeous Flames...

Kyung Jae : What is that, the Gorgeous Flames?

Juyeon : Our rival club. I told you two of our hostesses and three of our kurofukus has left. Well, they gone there.

Yoo Jin : The club is opened since last month but yet it's full every night. Thanks to Jin Ah...

Hoon : And who is Jin Ah?

Lee Young : Our former number second hostess. She left the club for the Gorgeous Flames. Jin Ah... has betrayed us.

Kahi : In reality, it's a little more complicated. As you all know, lots of club are managed by mafia and Yakuza. We are one of the rare clubs free and managed by a woman outside of the gangland. Whe she agreed to leave for our rival, Jin Ah agreed to do everything she could to put us on our knees. The boss owning the Gorgeous Flames wanted my club. He has offered me a lot of money to buy it. But I have refused. Ever since, he has swore our loss and that's what he's doing.

 

They all are feeling not reassured at all, glancing at each other, uneasy.

 

Jae Seop : Earlier, Ki Seop has talked about bad reputation... What did he mean?

Bekah :

Jin Ah and our former colleagues are spreading rumors about our hostesses towards the rich bosses and the celebrities visiting their club. The worst of disgraces for a club like ours, it's when the staff agrees to seel their bodies against money. Hostesses are the modern twins of Geishas, they're not met to sleep with... However, the smart thing about Jin Ah is that she's herself using her body to convince those for who sleeping with hostesses is the ultimate goal.

 

They're going back to silence for a few seconds. It's an important part of the story they didn't know, enlighting new details of the situation, which is worse than what they tought it was.

 

Kahi :

Ga Eun-ah, you hae said something right earlier. Talking will never make anyone come. Since we almost got nothing else to lose, let's use a good old technique. Who needs so many kurofukus with no costumers? Jae Seop, Hoon, Kevin... (she's giving them professional cards) Go outside with those cards and offer it to each passers by on your way. There are not many women in this aread but maybe it could work.

Kevin : Shall we have to approach girls?

Kahi : Yes. Still worrying about your girlfriend? Don't you fear about that. You don't have to seduce them, just to convince them to come inside.

Kevin : But I...

Kahi : I don't want to hear any "but". You won't disobey your boss, will you? Come on... Out, now!

 

Sulking, he's following the others outside. Even if he knows Lizzy won't ever learn about it, he was feeling bad twoards her. As if he was trying to betray her... Outside, the weather's windy and there are only a few women in the area, except hostesses with their costumers.

 

Kevin : Why didn't Mama send Kyung Jae instead? Or Soohyun, I don't know... They are the hosts. They should be the one trying to get costumers.

Jae Seop : People would know if that was the way it was. I heard that in Kabuki-Cho, every host clubs got staff outside the doors just to get new costumers.

Kevin : Rightly. I don't want to do that. Plus there are no women here. All I can see are dudes!

Hoon : Come on, stop complaining. You are paid 15 000 yens doing nothing but giving cards. Try to see things from a positive angle.

 

Afar, Hoon sees a lovely young girl. He doesn't hesitate and goes her way.

 

Hoon : Excuse me, Miss. Sorry to bother you. Do you often come to Ginza? Would you like to take a look at our club? The Heaven's Gate is now a co-ed club, we also have male hosts...

Girl : Really? I didn't know that kind of club could exist.

Hoon : It's an unique kind of concept, we're the only one to do that. Come in a little while. You won't be disappointed.

Girl : Today, I can't.

Hoon : It's not a problem, come tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow, even. I'll remember you.

Girl : Do hosts from your club look as good as you?

Hoon : Come and visit us one of these days. I promise you will find anything you desire. If you have friends as pretty as you are, tell them about us too. Bring them with you, even.

 

A few minutes latter, he's back next to his friends, proud of himself. Kevin is full of admiration.

 

Kevin : Damn, Hoon, you're gifted. Feels like you always done that.AMN, HOON, YOU'RE GIFTED. FEELS LIKE YOU ALWAYS DONE THAT.

Jae Seop : Yeah I didn't know you were an expert in soliticing.

Hoon : Stop with bull! I have ben trained, you know. Don't remember? The stall with the Japanese pool and the cuddly toys to win, back in the High School's festival...

Jae Seop : I do remember. You lost at Shifumi and had to find girls to come and play.

Kevin : It's true, I remember too. That's how I met Lizzy!

Hoon : Yes. I was the one who approchad her to ask her to play at our stall. How could you even forgot? Thanks to me, you have met your girlfriend.

Jae Seop : I'm sure he never forgot. But he doesn't want to think you could have tried to get his Lizzy.

 

For sure, he remembered. He remembered very well. He could never forget it...