Chapter 5: Secrets

In Too Deep

I stood there, frozen at what Kris said. Was it true, did he really love me? Just then my phone beeped; it was a text from Luhan. It read, “Hey Baby, I was just checking up on you. Is anything wrong? How is Eun Soo? I hope nothing happened to her!” I started to smile, how could I have such a wonderful boyfriend?

Kris coughed again. I snapped back to reality. He was looking at me with eyes full of concern and anger. Did he know that Luhan was the one that texted me?

I remembered everything Kris had done to me. He drugged me and then slept with me! But what was worse was the fact that he left me the next day! He just left a note saying that it was just a one night stand! A one night stand, can you believe that! How could I love a man like that? He didn’t even call or text me afterwards, but then again that’s probably how one night stands were. I looked up at him and angrily pushed him, “get out Kris! Are you even human?!?! You love me! Me the girl you drugged so that you could sleep with me! You even left a note saying that it was a one night stand! I loved you, you know! You turned out to be a-”

I was cut short by Kris’s lips. I tried to fight back, but it was no use. It was like the first kiss I had with him, but it felt much more romantic. I snapped back to reality and I pushed him. To my surprise he tumbled to the ground.

I heard a knock on the front door. Kris pulled my hand, “Don’t go! Please, I’m begging you, don’t trust him! He’s not who you think he is, he’ll hurt both of you! You only met him!” I pulled his hand away from mine with ease, “You have no right to say that! I only met you that week and you were far worse than him! At least to him I won’t be a one night stand! At least to him-” Kris interrupted me by saying, “I know I’m her father! You can’t hide her from me! Do you want to hear the real reason why I left?” I stood there staring at Kris, how did he know? When Kris was about to speak I heard the knocks on my door intensify. A familiar voice shouted, “Hey Baby! Are you sleeping? I’m back!”

Snapping back to reality, I pushed Kris away. I was surprised at how weak he was. I ran downstairs and reached the front doors. When I opened the door I saw the familiar angelic smile on Luhan’s face. His smile made me forget what Kris had said. He hugged me and kissed me, but for some reason I was feeling empty. It didn’t feel like the kiss I had with Kris.

Luhan seemed to sense how I was feeling because his eyes seemed to darken. That’s when I took a closer look at him. He still looked a like an angel, but his hair color had changed. It was light grey, almost white. I realized that what Kris said about Luhan was a lie. Kris made it seem like the guy that was holding Eun Soo was Luhan! But that guy had dark hair, while Luhan has light hair right now.

Luhan looked me in my eyes; he put his hand around my waist and pulled me towards him. He then kissed me again, but this time it was different. It felt perfect! I felt like I was flying. Luhan then grabbed me by my hands and led me to the couch. His eyes looked worried, “I just got the call from the babysitter, and how is Eun Soo? I was so worried!” How did Luhan know that Eun Soo was home, whatever I didn’t care. All I cared about was Luhan at the moment.

Eun Soo started to cry again and I ran up to her room. Luhan followed me. I was a little hesitant to open the door because Luhan warned me against Kris. I didn’t want Luhan to think I was cheating on him with Kris. As I opened the door I was shocked to see that Kris had disappeared. I picked Eun Soo up and tried my best to calm her.

.

.

.

(The next day)

I realized that I haven’t gone to class that whole week.

It was finally Saturday so I decided to take Eun Soo on a walk around the neighborhood. I dressed up in a summer dress and went to get Eun Soo. My heart started to beat fast when I saw Luhan sleeping next to her crib. He actually looked like a father watching over his child. As I approached the crib Luhan awoke, “Hey baby, sorry I didn’t know you were awake. Why are you dressed so beautifully this morning?” I blushed at his last words, “I- uh… wanted to take a stroll with Eun Soo, do you care to join?” Luhan smiled back, “Sure, just let me get changed! I’ll meet you down in about an hour!” I looked at him confused, “ An hour>?” He smiled again, “Well I can’t go looking like a slob when you look this beautiful!” I blushed again and he walked towards me and grabbed my waist and pulled me close. I could feel his heartbeat and his sweet breath. To my surprise he did not have morning breath. He bent his neck and kissed me on my head. Then he left to the bathroom to get ready.

.

.

.

(An Hour Later)

Luhan looked like a Louie Vuitton model as he greeted me downstairs. He even changed his clothes somehow. He took Eun Soo out of my hands and I locked the doors up. I had a wonderful time with Luhan!  He took me to the amusement park and then we took a stroll on the beach. It was getting dark fast and Luhan walked me home. He kissed me on my head again because he didn’t want to wake Eun Soo up. I smiled and waited until he was out of sight.

I sighed and took my eyes out. It was such a wonderful day. I never thought I could fall in love again after Kris, but I did and it was surreal. Eun Soo started to wake up so I rushed into her room. I placed her on her crib, but something caught my attention. It was a book.

I picked it up and looked around for an author, but there was none. When I opened the front cover I saw the same picture I saw in Kris’s house. It was the picture of what I assumed was Kris and Luhan’s grandparents. I must have accidently picked it up when I left Kris’s house. I had nothing to do so I sat down on the bed next to Eun Soo’s crib and decided to read it.

                First page:

I have finally arrived with my older brother. The date is January 5, 1887. This is the first time we have traveled. Luhan continues to worry me and my heart is broken upon the news of his beloved’s passing. He still blames me, because I was at the scene where it happened. As his younger brother I would do anything to help him stay happy, but misfortunes do happen. They are a way of life in this strange place. If we were back home this would not have happened, but people here call what happened to us fate. To them, no one can escape fate. What is fate? Such an odd term these people use.

Luhan and I have decided to  settle here until we can return home. Hopefully we find the hidden secrets of this place. However, if Luhan and I do not work together it may be impossible:

               Second Page:

It has been a year since we have been here, but the sudden disappearance of Luhan frightens me.  There was a terrible fire and I’m afraid that all the research we have gathered has perished.

                Third Page:

What I have feared has finally come true, Luhan has disappeared! I believe he still blames me for his misfortune.

                Fourth Page:

Luhan has come to visit me. He was angry. He destroyed my home. For what I can see his powers have increased. I must return him home soon or he might destroy us all.

                (Many pages were ripped out of the book)

                Last Page:

I fear that I have come to love her, but I know that I must hide her from him. He has sworn to take away everyone that I love.  I know what I did to her was wrong. I should not have done it, but I love her too much. I want her to be mine! She is the only one that makes my heart beat. I know I should not have made her drink it, but that was the only way I could keep her. If she has my child she will not ignore me. How can she when I’m her child’s father? But I fear that he will know. If he finds out about her, he will try to kill her because he still blames me for his beloved’s death. I had to leave her thinking that I was a jerk. She probably hates me by now and I do not blame her. She has all the right in the world to hate me! But this is the only way I can save her and my child from him! Luhan is set on hurting her, I know! I have sensed his presence for a few days now.

.

.

.

(Present)

I felt like my stomach had fallen when I read the last page. Why does it feel like what was written on the last page was about me? Who was the author? I flipped the book over, but there was nothing. Just then I heard a loud bang downstairs!

Following the load noise I heard voices. One of the voices said, “Yeah men, I think the kid is his! You heard what the boss said, we need to get them both and alive!” I heard them running around, and as I feared I heard them run upstairs.

There was a secret staircase that led outside on the opposite side of the stairs, but how could I get there? I heard the footsteps coming closer, I grabbed Eun Soo and hid chest that kept her toys. Just then I heard the door open and a couple of footsteps enter.  I heard a man say, “Boss said they would be here, check every corner!”

They continued to search for what seemed to be an eternity and finally I heard them close the door behind them. As I heard the descending footsteps I opened the top of the chest to peek outside. There seemed to be no one in the room so I slowly got out of the chest with Eun Soo. I slowly crept to the closed door. I began to open it slowly in order to see if the men had left. The hallway seemed to be empty, but I still heard the voices downstairs.

I wrapped Eun Soo in a warm blanket and tiptoed to the other side of the hall way. Just as I opened the door to the secret stairs I heard some footsteps coming upstairs.  I turned and I saw a man coming, “She’s over here, get her men!” My heartbeat quickened and I ran out the door as fast as I can.

Just then I lost my footing and stumbled down the last few steps, but that didn’t matter as long as Eun Soo was safe. I opened the other door that  led outside. The men were still following me. They were chasing me all the way to the forest.

I was near the gates of the mansion, when I saw more people appearing in front of me. I was trapped!

.

.

.

(Present)

I awoke to the smell of ash. Where am I? What happened? I heard footsteps nearby. I looked up and saw a man with only his eyes showing. He seemed to smirk. He sat down in front of me and I could see the other men behind him gather. He touched my face and said, “You’re a pretty one aren’t you? It’s a shame to scar that beautiful body of yours so I hope you cooperate with us.” The men in the back started to laugh.  The man that sat in front of me raised his hand and snapped, just then another man arrived carrying a bundle. It was Eun Soo! I tried to get up, but it was no use, I was chained to a poll. I could hear the men laugh, I got angry and continued to struggle but it was no use. The man in front of me continued to stare at me, I then spit on his face. The man just smirked and got up.

I thought that I was finally going to be left alone when the man returned with a pole. Just then he swung the pole and hit me on my left arm. The pain was excruciating! The man threw the pole on the ground, “I told you baby, you should cooperate with me. Now if you don’t want that little girl to get hurt you need to answer my simple question. Ok?” I looked at my baby in the hands of one of the men and I nodded.

“That’s a good girl. Now tell me, who’s the father?” Could it be them? The men that attacked Luhan? The man seemed to be getting impatient and slapped me in my face,  “Answer me!” The slap was painful, it was as if I was hit by that metal poll again. I basically screamed in his face, “It’s not Luhan’s daughter so please let us go! He only takes care of us because he feels bad for me. I’m a single mother who had a child because of a one night stand!”

The men started to laugh again, just then I heard a loud banging noise at a distance. That’s when I realized that we were in a warehouse. I heard the man in front of me stand up, “What’s going on? Chen, go and check it out! They couldn’t have found this place!” I saw a man get a gun and run towards the door, but before he could open it the door burst. Chen flew to the other side of the room!

The man in front of me looked tense, “Get them! Don’t let them get the kid and her mom!  Hurry!” The men nodded and in a few seconds another group of people entered. They were also covering most of their faces.

There was a lot of commotion going on in a few seconds. I saw the man that was in front of me come behind me and unlock the chain. Just then I punched the man’s face. He stumbled in surprise and I ran towards the man holding Eun Soo. Just then I felt something hard hit my head. I stumbled to the ground and I saw the man I just punched run up to me. He started to kick me everywhere. I had no time to react, it was too painful. Just then another man appeared and pushed the man that was kicking me.

I saw this as a chance for me to find Eun Soo so I stood up, but just as fast as I stood up I fell to the ground. There was a painful throbbing on my feet. The kicks had done a lot of damaged, but Eun Soo was in danger! I tried my best and took the wooden plank that was on the floor. Using it as a crutch, I tried to find Eun Soo.

I saw the man carrying her run through another door in the corner of the warehouse. I chased after him. I turned around and saw that more men where following me. I quickened my pace and to my surprise my feet were feeling a lot better.

I followed the man all the way to the end of the hallway. He turned to me and smirked. He then looked at Eun Soo and lifted her up! I knew what he was going to do! He dropped her! I ran after her and to my relief she landed in my arms. As soon as I got up I saw the man. He was holding a gun! He smirked, “The Boss and all of us know it’s not Luhan’s kid. We would never hurt Luhan’s bloodline! But, you! I don’t like you! Boss might favor you, but as soon as he finds out who that kid belongs to he will get rid of you! So why won’t I-“  

His speech was cut short by the arrival of more men. I saw him start to smile, but it soon faded. I turned around to see when had happened and I saw another man holding a gun!

Wait, could it be! What was he doing here! Kris!

He grabbed me by my shoulder and pushed me behind him. He looked at the man in front, “How dare you touch her!” Just then another pair of hands grabbed me! I screamed and that made Kris turn. He fought with the man that had grabbed me. Eun Soo started to cry, I tried to calm her down and I saw that Kris had the guy on the ground.

Just then I saw the man that had Eun Soo raise his gun. He was pointing it at Kris! I saw his eyes measuring the distance between Kris and him. Kris was too busy to notice! I knew what I had to do! I put Eun Soo down and ran towards Kris to push him. But just at the moment I pushed him I heard a loud boom!

There was a painful throbbing in my head again followed by another pain. This time the pain was in my back and chest. It was too hard to bear and I saw the ground rising. I heard voices and crying in the distance. It was Kris and Eun Soo! I felt someone hold me, but it was hard to tell who. Everything began to look hazy. The room started to spin and everything was turning black. I could see Eun Soo crying on the floor in a distance. Just then I saw Kris’s face, but everything started to spin faster and get darker and darker ~

.

.

.

《Too be continued. ..》