Arch That Reveal The Truth

Shape of Happiness

"Yonghwa-shi,” she started. “Please don’t chase away people from our neighborhood. Even though you want to build your branch office there, but at least give us some time to move, don’t come and threatening us. They are all very nice people.”

 

Yonghwa frowned. "Excuse me? I don't understand a bit what you are talking about, Seohyun-shi."

 

Seohyun takes a deep breath before she speak. Actually she was scared; to confront a man in front of him is scary. He is man with power and wealth, and she is just an ordinary girl. But her conscience tells her to just go for it. That no power and wealth can step down her pride and her principle to do something right. Adding the fact that she already met the man in front of her once, trying to act good, but then act evil behind his power convince her more. Besides, she is not a coward to begin with.

 

“I know that Mr. Park already sold the land to you and you want to build your office there. It’s your rights indeed but please don’t use your power to step on nice people. I came here today to ask you not to bring your people and scare people in our neighborhood anymore. We have pride too though our circumstance is not as good as yours. And we will leave at the time we should leave. So stop wasting your people’s time to come and chase us away when what they do just slow down our move. I already said my point. I hope you get it. Excuse me.” With that she stood from her seat and tried to leave when Yonghwa catches her hand.

 

Seohyun turned back to see he is holding her wrist. "Yonghwa-shi?"

 

Yonghwa doesn't know why he did that. He just saw the woman in front of him try to walk away and suddenly his body move by himself. When he realized what he did, he released her hand. "Sorry, Seohyun-shi. You already said your point, but you never heard my point yet." He said.

 

"That's true that Mr. Park's land is now mine and I plan to make a new office there. But I hand over that case to my assistant so I really don't know what he did."

 

Yonghwa look she is a bit startled by what he just said so he continues. "And I never use my power to step on people. I’m sure my employee will give a good amount of compensation for your neighborhood people before they leave."

 

“You never use your power, but you use your money instead, eh? But you don’t understand that there is something your money can’t get. It’s not always about money, Jung Yong Hwa-shi. For them that place is their hometown, not just a house but a home. They were born, growing up, and working there for almost their whole life. “She stops for a while to take a breath and continue while sighing, “I’m not here to change your mind to build your office there, it is your rights, you owned the place, but I just want you not to disturb us with your man by scaring people away.”

 

Yonghwa was taken aback with what he just heard. This woman indeed different, another girl will try to seduce him knowing he is a chaebol but she seems to loathe his money. “I promise I will find out and tell them not to do anything to harm your neighborhood people.”

 

She nodded and ready to leave again so he quickly says, "How is your kids?"

 

"They are fine, thanks for asking. I hope you really mean what you said earlier, Yonghwa-shi." By then, she leaves.

 

Yonghwa felt the moment felt surreal. She was right in front of him though she was furious at him.

 

And that makes him remember, he should call Jungshin to ask what actually he do to her.

 

"yoboseo, hyung?" Jungshin said.

 

"Jungshin-ah, about Mr. Park's land, what did you do to the tenant that refuse to leave?"

 

"Ah, I assign manager Kim to ask them to leave. He said he brought some people there and ask them to leave personally. Why, hyung? "

 

"They must use violence to scare them." Yonghwa's hand raked his head feels frustrated.  "Tell them not to come again to that neighbor."

 

"Why, hyung?" jungshin voice full of curiosity.

 

"And do me a favor, search for a tenant in that neighbor named Seo Joo Hyun."

 

"Ahrasso, hyung." Jungshin already know his hyung so well so he doesn't ask more. Yonghwa will tell him himself when he wanted to tell him.

 

Yonghwa cut the phone and think if it's okay if he does some background check on her? But he is dying to know why she didn't wear any ring in her finger. Oh yea, he notice it. If he saw a ring in her finger he will back off immediately and he can back to his old self minus spacing out about her. But the ring was not there and that makes his heart full of curiosity and half of it hoping for a chance to be with her. Maybe she was divorce or her husband really fine with her wander around with no ring. But if he were the husband, he won't let her put off her wedding ring and be the target of another man. Never.

 

The next morning Yonghwa already stand by in the neighborhood. He wanted to see her of course. The neighborhood was a place of several building located in suburb of Seoul. It’s quite, not crowded by car and higher building like in the central city, but comfortable enough. It’s not far from his parent’s house too. Even though he practically lives here when he was small but his parents house is big and build in secluded area of the neighbor. He never go out and get to know people around here since he always play in his house mostly and go to the park where he met Seohyun sometimes when he was feeling down. He walk passed the small grocery shop, a toppokki stall, and small restaurant. People are busy working and he saw a couple of kids running around.

 

He imagines there is almost the time when the construction of his building is started and some people in this neighbor will move to another place soon. If he was not felt terrible before by his own decision, he is now. But of course the compensation he give is more than enough for them to find a new place and started a new life.

 

Suddenly her words crossed his mind.

 

For them that place is their hometown, not just a house but a home.

 

You don’t understand that there is something your money can’t get.

 

It really distracts him. Does he wrong if he was chasing away this people?

 

Finally he reached the destination, an old house with a beautiful garden. He saw the gate slightly open so he walks in. He is welcome by a girl, bowing her head and say, “Welcome to the Heart Orphanage, ahjussi. I’m In Hye, can I help you?” Which he answered with a nod. “Can I see around?” he asked.

 

“Of course, ahjussi.” She said. A big smile plastered her face, hoping he is coming to adopt one of the kids here.

 

When she open the door of the house he saw a couple of teen girl are busy arrange their things in to a big boxes. The girl named In Hye seems to understand his confusion and tried to explain the situation to him without knowing that he was the one behind all this ‘moving’ thing. “We are in the middle of packing up. We will move from this place. The new owner of the land want to build a new big office here.”

 

Yonghwa took a big gulps and sayd, “Where are you planning to move?”

 

“Unfortunately we don’t know ourself. Our Unnie still try to find a new place. It turns out not to be an easy job to find a house with good environment for the kids like here. Come here ahjussi, I will let you meet our kids.” In Hye walked to one door in the left side corridor. “Kids, come gather here, we have a visitor.” The kids run from all over the place to the room that looks like a function hall.

 

He was in front of the door when an old lady with a very warm smile approach him, “the kids here are all a nice kids.” She said.

 

“I’m sorry to say this, ommoni, but I’m not here to adopt the child.” He explained. Yonghwa afraid if the people in the orphanage already have high hopes by his visit.

 

“Oh, pardon me, son. I thought you want to adopt one of a child.” The old lady gaped and closed with her hand. She looked a bit disappointed but could hide it well to keep her politeness.

 

“It’s my fault not to inform you first by my sudden visit. But I’m here to find Seo Joo Hyun, Is she ..mmm.. Probably home?”

 

“Ah you are looking for Joohyun. Unfortunately she was out looking for a new place to rent. But, you are..?” If the first disappointment can be hiding by her, the second curiosity is openly showed.

 

When he wants to answer her, a little girl running to him and hug his legs. "Yonghwa ahjussi, you come.” She said. Yonghwa and the old lady got shocked but when Yonghwa saw who the little girl is, he smiles and bends his knee to hug her back. “Hey Luna, how are you today?” he asked.

 

“Great, ahjussi. Our unnie already out from the hospital and can play with us again.”

 

Yonghwa pats her hair, “Very good.”

 

Luna turns to the old lady and said, “Mi sun Halmoni, this is the ahjussi that Luna tell you.”

 

The old lady named Mi sun bends his body a little and smiles. “So this is the ahjussi that accompany you the other day when you run out from the house?” Luna excitedly nodded.

 

“Thank you, Son, for helping her. We all are in chaos when we can’t find her that day.”

 

“No, It’s nothing ommoni.” He said, felt shy by her sincerity. He really never used to hang around with kids and elder, knowing that he was the second and last child in his family and his grandparents already passed away since he could remember, but he doesn’t know why he feel comfortable here, like a home.

 

It’s an orphanage, Jung Yong Hwa, how can people feel comfortable here? He thought. But he did.

 

Then Luna dragged him to the center of the room and boasted to the other children about him. "Ahjussi wants to join our play" which he can't refuse. Mi sun just smile and laugh watching how the kids so excited with the visit. For a couple of months already, not much people come to the orphanage. It's like people neglected them and busy with their own life.

 

He was playing with the kids when suddenly the main door open, showing Seo Joo Hyun in her casual attire but still looks breathtakingly beautiful in Yonghwa’s eyes though her face obviously tired. She got frozen in her spot when she saw who is in the room. “What are you doing here?”

 

She is frowning, obviously not welcoming his sudden visit. “You said you won’t come again. So why are you here?”

 

“Seo Joo Hyun, be polite.” Mi sun ajhumma said.

 

The kids still oblivious by their surrounding, obviously still busy playing.

 

“Omma, he is the guy.” Seohyun reasoned. “The new owner.”

 

Mi sun ajhumma seems a bit startled by the sudden truth.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo ommoni, I’m sorry for my late introduction. My name is Jung Yong Hwa. It’s true I’m the new owner of the land but trust me, I have no intention to harm or threaten people here when I come. I just want to see the place.”

 

“And do what? See how bad we are for not moving immediately after your warning?” Maybe the exhaustion or maybe the rejection of many places that she ought to rent that makes her suddenly throwing tantrum to him, she doesn’t know. But she feels frustrated by her condition and she lost her calm. It’s rare for her who always calm and compose to lose her cool like this.

 

“Seo Joo Hyun.” Mi sun ajhumma said in a stern tone.

 

“I’m sorry, omma.” She said, sighed in frustration. But she doesn’t know why, everything related this man in front of him always makes her not being herself.

 

“Let’s talk in the other room.” Before she leave the room, Mi sun pats Seohyun in her shoulder and whispers, "I think he really mean what he said, Seohyun-ah, give him a chance to explain himself."

 

They come to a room beside the function hall. It looks like a head master office with a lot of books and documents in the table. "Have a seat please." Despite all the circumstance Mi sun ahjumma still very nice and warm. "You too Joohyun."

 

They sit side by side in an old and small couch with Mi sun ahjumma in the other couch. No one say anything until Mi sun ahjumma cleared and started the conversation first. "Son, you said earlier that you come to find Joohyun. May I know the reason why?"

 

"Just because.." It's the first time he lost his words and feeling shy. "..But I really have no bad intention, ommonim." He added quickly.

 

Mi sun ahjumma seems to understand what makes him that way and smile. "I believe in you, Son. I guess there is something you want to say to our Joohyun? She can be stubborn sometimes and our circumstance not so good right now so she is a bit pressured because she was the one we always rely on, so please understand her.” She said. “Ah it's time for the kids to eat lunch." Mi sun ahjumma stood up and walked to the door. “If both of you already finish talking, come join us to eat lunch.” She added.

 

When the door closed, he faces her. "So..Joohyun-shi, I thought people call you Seohyun?"

 

"My family calls me Joohyun, my friends call me Seohyun. But it's none of your business."

 

Good, she clearly hates me now.

 

"I’m really not coming here to harm anyone, Seohyun-shi."

 

She sighed, maybe her mother was right, he was sincere so at least she wanted to act civil with him.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry too, Yonghwa-shi for my sudden outburst.”

 

“Aniya.. So.. The kids here.. Not really your child, eh?” He asked.

 

Actually he already knows the truth by Jungshin last night. Jungshin told him that Seohyun open an orphanage with her mother. She was never married but the kids here called her omma that makes him assume that she was already married the first time they met. How ecstatic was he when he heard about it. His heart burst with happiness, and that night he finally can take a good rest for the first time after 3 days since he knows her.

 

“Practically they are my kids. I raised them with my mother.”

 

Then there is an uncomfortable silent in the room until both of them start to talk in unison.

 

“Why..” She said.

 

“You..” He said.

 

“Ah you talk first.” He said.

 

“Why you come here Yonghwa-shi?”

 

"What you said the other day conflict me..I want to see it myself.. the place that you cherish like your own hometown. I want to know what more than money for you. It makes me come here." And I want to see you.

 

"Then, what did you see after you came?”

 

“Well, actually I grew up in this neighborhood, too. Not as close as yours since my parents house live not so far from here but I never really got to know this people. So when I came, I mean really took notice to the place and people, I realize that they are so warm and friendly. It’s comfortable though. I get it why you defend this place so much.. Ah, and earlier I’m so hungry cause I skip breakfast to come here and eat the toppokki stall across the street, it’s the best.” He showed his thumbs up.

 

And for the first time that day, she sincerely smiles for him. “Yea right? Sae Mi ahjumma’s toppokki is the best.” She said excitedly.

 

He was in awe when he saw her smiling. He gaped and blinks his eyes once and twice and thrice times before he was really sure that it was real. She is smiling for him. Unconsciously, his mouth forming a smile too while his eyes keep locked in her face. Seohyun notice his eyes staring at her and feeling shy, rolling her eyes to the other side, trying not making any contact to his eyes. She coughes and that makes him awaken from his reverie.

 

“May I know, why you decided to build an orphanage?” he asked.

 

She hesitates for a moment whether she should tell the story to him or not. He is a man with power but never experience the hard reality so she decided to share the story to him though it really personal.

 

“When my father’s died in a car accident when I was 8 th years old, it was really a hard time for me and my mother. I love him so much and that makes me can’t accept the reality. I think God is unfair for me, but one day I met this girl, one of my classmates in school. She was an orphan, we became a close friend and she often come to my house. My mom loves her like her own child. And she said to me how she felt jealous because I have a very loving mother, but she doesn’t even know her own parents. I felt so bad a that time, I realize that I was a very ungrateful kid who can’t see the goodness around me and how bless am I and keep holding on to the bad things that happened in my life. Then, I promise to myself when I grow up I will help other kids who have been abandoned, alone and neglected to let them know how it feels to be loved to give love.”

 

He was fascinated by her words, how wonderful the thought of a young girl can be. In his world, the one with more power taking it all from the less power until it drain. But in her world the one with more love give love to the one with the less love.

 

“Is it hard.. to give love?”

 

“No, when you receiving love in return.”

 

“Is it hard for you to protect them? It’s tiring. Isn’t it, when my people come and chase you out?”

 

She looked at him in the eye and chuckled. “You know what, it’s weird to vent my feelings of how hard it is to you when the reason of it is happening is you.”

 

“Please tell me.” She saw that he is seriously asking not trying to insinuate her.

 

“It will be a lie if I said no, but I have the loved ones that I want to protect, so it give me strength.”

 

“If it’s that hard then don’t move.” He unconsciously said.

 

“What?” She asked in disbelief.

 

 

A.N: Actually I have no confidence in this chapter so I always delay updating it, so please tell me whether this story start to or not or there is something you find weird in the story. But please don't say the story is because of the grammar error, I really can't help it with that. English is hard for me. haha.. I hope you like the story tough, I intend to make it this way since the beginning, I bet many of you already can guess it right. The writer here having some problem to imaginating more exciting story, so pardon me. I hope you still want to read the rest of the story, more Yongseo in the next chapter.

And Happy Eid Mubarak for every Muslims in the world..Have a bless day..^^

Keep feedback whether it is subscribing, upvotes or commenting, because your feedback inspired me to do more. And thanks again for all the subscribers, upvoters and commenters, it really means a lot. Thank you. Until next update..

XOXO