Episode: 05

Add Insult To Injury

"A smile could mean a lot of things."

"Evil can hide itself in the most innocent things."



              High school has always been hectic for me. Break time’s the craziest part of the day. If we’re lucky the outcasts like us would have a table all to ourselves. Otherwise there wouldn't be anywhere else to sit. It's either beside the trash cans or outside.

 

        And trust me, you don’t want to eat at a trash can, sitting there only makes you a target. You can get hit with all sorts of stuff. Eating outside is quiet and happier. Most tables for eating are labeled by the students.

         For example they would have a table for all the ually-active relationships so they can make out all they want during break time. Then they would have a table for the typical nerds/geeks.

 

How do they decide these matters you say?

 

         They judge according to looks. It’s not surprising anymore, everywhere I look I see cake-faced try-hards trying to look pretty, even on the media: woman and men with a wonderful v-line face and double eye-lids. Looks are everything, second to intellect and intelligence.

 

       Whenever I whine at my brother for taking so long in the bathroom, he always tells me people won’t see what you have to offer, if you don’t show any of your positive vibes. I do take care of myself, just not in a way where people can notice the shift in my attitude.

 

      The Queenka's and Kingka's would always have at least 3 tables to themselves. Believe it or not, there are a lot of them. Jong In’s at an Info-Tec meeting, and here I am sitting on a bench eating half of a club sandwich. I’ve always liked being alone, being in the crowd vacuums my energy away.

 

       Staring at the cotton candy clouds, I start to wander off into my own utopia without even finishing my club sandwich. Somewhere, and somehow there is a world where people don’t have to follow what everyone else is doing, where everyone can dress up without being laughed at. Where everyone can eat their food at their own table, and basically be friends with everyone.

 

But we’re humans-we’re animals, conflict is everywhere and there are barely enough people who want it to stop.

 

A figure passes the bench from behind. Clueless and off-guard the figure sat down beside me.

"Jong In? You're back already? Doesn't your meeting last for the whole entire break?"

I look to my right while I’m saying the sentence. The person beside me wasn't Jong In.

 

In fact, I have never seen this person before.

 

      Or maybe I have, his face is familiar. His brown hair is flat covering his forehead, a few hairs strike up at the back at his head. The boy’s chin is sharp and structured. Overall everything goes well, making him look lady-like. My palm covers my mouth immediately as I flush. I did it again, I embarrassed myself again.

"Well, you’re not Jong In." It take back what I just said.

The boy chuckles, "Do I look like a Jong In to you?" he beams.

"Yo’ the name's Luhan." he introduces himself with charisma. I bow my head.

"It’s nice to meet you." I say quizzically. An awkward silence comes between him and me.

"A-Are you new here?" I stutter; Luhan shakes his head.

"I've been attending this school since 10th grade just like you." Luhan said.

"How come I've never seen you before?" I tell him,

"You probably have. You just don't pay attention." Luhan teases me.

"Why are you eating lunch alone? Don't you have friends?" Luhan says curiously.

“I have friends who want to see me suffer." I grumble.

"They say I'm a really cold bad- boy. But to be honest, I'm not what they think I Am.",

"Its normal. It’s just the way our society is. “I emit out a sigh.

 

      Luhan must be a very kind person. The way his eyes sparkle with honesty, innocence and kindness its gift to have those attributes in a tormented world.

"Don't you have any friends?" Luhan nods,

"Of course I do. But they're either ratchet es or bastard jerk-faces." Luhan quirks an eyebrow.

"I guess we both have something in common." I acknowledge.

"Who's this Jong In guy?" Luhan poppes the question, I don’t really want to answer. Because it involves me speaking out another afflicted lie.  

"He's my boyfriend. The first I guess." I say inaudibly. Luhan grins warmly,

"Why the long face? Aren’t you supposed to be happy? Anyways, I hope he doesn't break your heart." he says.

 

Panic attacks, aiming at multiple places such as my complicated mind and heart. Possibly digging in holes that can spill the truth out.

"Hey! I finally found you." A voice chants my name from a distance.

 

        I stand up abruptly and a few meters away is Jong In displaying an overwhelmed look. Luhan didn't bother to see who it was. More like, he knows exactly who it is, and just doesn’t want to come face to face with Jongin. I walk towards him, burying my face in his chest.

"I have to go! Nice meeting you!" I yell to Luhan. He simply raises one hand and starts to wave backwards.

"Who’s that?" Jong In’s voice reeks of jealously.

"I guess he's a friend." I shrug my shoulders.

 

       Jong In's eyes fill with hurt and I realize that he’s sensitive.

"You shouldn't hang out with that boy. Listen to me." Jong In looks at me frantically.

"Why?" I demand an answer. "Because," Jong In mutters.

"What you’re jealous?" I snort, "No. Luhan is just really dangerous." He warns me. Wait.

 

       “You know who Luhan is?”, "Why wouldn't I? Everyone knows him." Wait. What? Everyone knows Luhan? "Luhan's the Kingka." Jong In whispers. "But he's a nice person. I could see it in his eyes." I argue with Jong In.

       Staring at me in disbelief, Jong In says nothing else and we both head to class.The bell rings and class starts right before my eyes. But something is off, it seemed like the teacher is about to introduce a new student.

 

“We have a student who transferred from Class 1 Division 2" Jong In’s head shoots right up looking at the door. Luhan stands there; waiting to be welcomed in.

“Come in, and introduce yourself” says the teacher.

"I'm Luhan" He says smiling directly at me, and no one else. 


 I really don't know what to believe. Jongin’s my boyfriend, I should trust him. But at the same time, I don’t have the right to judge someone who I just met, even though people mistreat me by doing just that.

         Luhan is kind; I have a gut feeling that goes with it. Yet other people around us say that there’s this this kind of monster lurking inside of his innocent face. Some even say that he is pure evil. 

Humans are evil in general, there’s nothing to hide about that.

 

         Jong In says he’s the person who caused the most pain in his life aside from his parents. Is he really a monster? Who seeks victims, and takes away their power? There’s got be a reason, there’s always one. Or maybe he's not. Like he had said to me during lunch time a few days ago,

 

"I'm not what I they think I am."  

 

       Walking around with a disoriented mind knocks every single day you wake up to. Like most people, you have to see it in order to believe it. Consequently Jong In’s trying his best not to notice my existence. 

 

       The damage you receive on your self-esteem when people ignore your existence hurts, but if it’s someone in whom you’ve developed feelings for or love its more than just pain, its torture. And it will do more than slice your self-esteem; it might even shed you to pieces if you don’t control it.

 

      Jongin’s doing this because of Luhan; nevertheless I supposedly befriended the person who caused his life to sinker even deeper than hell. How was I supposed to know? He just approached me while I was eating my lunch.

       Avoiding each other wouldn’t help the situation, and we both know that we couldn’t bypass each other like total strangers because we’re just not. It's similar to the way opposite charges can’t get away from each other; we're attached to each other.

 

        With a sudden jolt, I snap out of my daze. It’s funny how many thoughts I can have in a single minute. Luhan had been moving from desk to desk during the past few days.

 

      The teacher couldn’t find a spot where he couldn’t be bothered, couldn’t be attacked with rubbish, and couldn’t be distracted. His short attention span is jarring, to listening to the teacher to looking at a certain area on the ceiling. The teacher gestures for Luhan to sit beside me.

Jongin is to my right, and Luhan is to my left. It can’t get any worse than this.

 

         Worst of all, I have to give up my seat beside the window; it’s the last thing I want taken away from me. Being able to stare off into the distance and daydream about a better world-a better life. I can’t do that anymore. Jong In’s eyes are all over the place, clearly avoiding Luhan’s.

 

        Both of them paid no attention to each other. Just like mortal enemies. And I’m in the middle of it all. When it comes to choosing sides in conflicts, I’m always that one person who doesn’t know which side to believe.

 

Poor judgement is what they call it.

I want to believe Jong In but I just met this person and I cannot judge them according to what the people are saying. 

...

        It’s 12:30 PM and the doorbell rings at least 50 times. Opening the door, I come face to face with Luhan. Luhan is at my house-my house, he knows what my address is. Suho is still in the washroom, and I have to greet him. Luhan takes a step and leans on the frame of the door with his lips just a few inches from mine.

 

"What are you doing here?" Luhan says bluntly.

I hesitate, "Aren't I suppose to ask you that?" I shot back.

"Suho invited me here to play video games." Luhan scoffs.

By the look of his face, and the way he talks to me. He wasn't the same Luhan I met while sitting on the bench.

"Oh." I say, without any warning he enters my house.

 

I'm starting to see what he actually is. My brother comes out wearing a towel around his waist.

"Dude! Put some clothes on! You have a visitor" Covering my eyes, I yell at Suho.

He quickly runs into his room. Within a matter of seconds he came out; fully dressed.

"What the hell took you so long?" Luhan says,

"Well I-I took a shower?" My brother responds. I figure I should eavesdrop for a while.

 

      I'm only doing that because I want to know who this Luhan really is. So that I don’t automatically assume that he’s a bad guy. Right after I enter my room, I shut the door. Planting my ear to the wall, I’m hoping I could hear at least a few sentences.

 

"So, how’s that boy doing?" Suho asked Luhan.

"He's a jerk as he is." Luhan says,

“You're really having fun with this boy huh?" Suho snorts.

"I guess so. I don't want to talk about it here though." Luhan ends the conversation.

I burst out of my bedroom door, "I'm going to Jong In's!" I yell at the two of them. I quickly left and went to Jong In's home.

"Yo. What's up?" I say as he opens the door. Jong In quickly pulls me.

"Hi!" I raise my tippy-toes and give him a light kiss on the cheek. This time it’s real, I really meant it.

 

Dragging me into his living room, he pulls down an overheard and clicks a button on his remote.

"This is Luhan and I in 6th grade." Jong In says. A video of Jongin and Luhan laughing and playing around plays.

“Six Grade,” Jongin’s expression darkens.

"Haha! You're adopted!?" Luhan laughed and pointed at Jong In. Everyone turns their heads towards Luhan and Jong In.

"You told me, you would never reveal it!" Jong In started to cry.

 

"WELL TOO BAD. SO SAD. You're even acting like a baby." Luhan kept teasing Jong In.

Jong In throws a punch and it landed on Luhan. Luhan throws a punch back and it missed Jong In. Before I knew it, both of them were in the principal's office.

 

"Luhan's parents transferred him to a school in China" Jong In says, "I never saw him again until 10th grade". The video ends.

"I was bullied from 6th grade till today, all because of him." Jong In says bitterly.

 

I couldn’t generate a response. And then a thought hits me, that's from his side of the story, I haven't heard Luhan's side of the story.


*author's note

 New Character! Luhan the Kingka!

This is actually the first time I write a story with Luhan in it. LOL.

Hope you like this update!

EDITED(YES) -oasisgrounds]