Lily of Valley

Knights

As soon as Sanggyun was closer, he swang his dagger toward the man, and then a bright light suddenly shone behind Aelena.

 

Everyone shielded their eyes with their arm.

 

"What was that?" Yooncheol asked as soon as the light disappeared.

 

And before any could answer his question, Sanggyun noticed that the man disappeared, too. He ran beside Aelena’s side and helped her up on her feet. "And where did that man go?"

 

"Look!" Hansol shouted pointing where moonlight illuminated. A flower that wasn’t there before was showered by moonlight. Small white flowers that looked like tiny raindrops budded into flowers. It’s sweet scent overpowering the wet stench of the cave. The flower looked fragile and divine.

 

"Is that what I think it is?" Yooncheol said.

 

"Lily of Valley," Aelena whispered in astonishment. "It is real."

 

"But how? It wasn’t there earlier," the youngest asked surprised.

 

Yooncheol walked toward it. "Does it matter? We’ve found it. Now we’ve got to return with it to the King." When Yooncheol reached for it, his hands went right through it. Everyone was surprised. "What the," he tried to grab it once again, but it just went through again. "What the, it’s fake!"

 

"It can’t be," the rest murmured.

 

"I can very much assure you that this is real," a man appeared from the shadows. He was the same man that was just holding Aelena with a knife. However, this time he was wearing all white from head to toe, and he wasn’t armed threatening someone’s life.

 

"Who really are you?" Yooncheol said holding his dagger.

 

"I am the guardian of Lily of Valley. As you all know, this flower is a special flower and holds an extraordinary power. Many folks have tried to look for it. Many tried to find it with the intent of selling for high prices. However, none had ever passed my tests. Only the righteous one that had passed my tests would be able to claim this flower."

 

"Test? But I don’t think we’ve ever taken one," Hansol said confused.

 

"You did. If I know correctly, you all must know that you would encounter three test before you get to the flower. First, I have tested you on your consideration with the elderly passing by with his loads. More than half of the people who met the man passed, and you all passed that test."

 

"What’s the second test?"

 

"The second one was to asses you of your temptation with the Aichas, the beasts under those beautiful ladies, which most of you passed."

 

"It was you who did that? That was dangerous. Many of our friends were hurt because of it."

 

"That was part of the test."

 

"Test? You could’ve gotten us killed!" Yooncheol raised his voice.

 

"That would still be part of the test. I would not just hand this flower to anyone who does not deserve it. You should have known the dangers associated with such important flower."

 

Yooncheol didn’t say anything else. He knew that the man was right. A flower with special capabilities wouldn’t as easily be as unguarded.

 

"What was the last one?" Hansol asked.

 

"The third and final one was to prove your faithfulness, which only one person passed."

 

"Who would that be?"

 

"Him," the man pointed at Sanggyun.

 

"Me? Why? I didn’t do anything special," Sanggyun furrowed his eyebrows.

 

"You proved your faith for Aelena. You knew the how essential the flower is. The flower that the King had wished for. The flower that heals any sickness. The flower that treats darkness. And you earned it, Sanggyun. You have a pure heart suitable to claim Lily of Valley," the man gestured for Sanggyun to come and have the flower.

 

Sanggyun slowly came up looking at the man cautiously and thinking that it might be a trap. He stood in front of the flower and the man, and the man nodded for him to take the flower. Sanggun hesitantly reached for the flower. He remembered how Yooncheol reached for it and went through it. Gently he felt the touch of the flower on his fingers. Surprised, he smiled for joy, but quickly dropped his smile. He thought he shouldn’t be happy yet; he thought anything can happen next.

 

Sanggyun grabbed the flower by the stem and pulled it from the ground with care. Just like that, the flower was off the ground. He gasped. Is this real? We really have Lily of Valley in our hand? We really did it? He looked at the man, he was smiling. His smile was genuine, it didn’t feel like it was hiding anything unpleasant.

 

We.. really.. did it? Sanggyun thought to himself. As if the man could read his mind, he nodded.

 

Sanggyun slowly grinned and turned around to his friends. "We did it..," he whispered. They gasped and smiled.

 

"No way. We really have the real flower," Yooncheol grinned. He was happy that he couldn’t believe it.

 

"Waa! We did it!" Hansol laughed. He was delighted that after all those horrible things that happened, they succeeded in getting the flower.

 

Sanggyun was relieved. They could finally go home and leave all the things they went through behind. They all finished this journey still alive and in one piece. All he could think of was going home with all of the members.

 

Then he turned to Aelena to show her their accomplishment. "Aelena-noona! Look! We did it!"

 

Aelena smiled. "I am very proud of you, Sanggyun, and everyone. We would not have found it, if it was not for everyone’s help. And I thank you, too, for trusting in me till the end."

 

"What are you talking about, it was nothing. That’s what’s friends for, right?"

 

Aelena looked surprised. No one had told her that before. She was glad and felt pleased.

 

"Now, let’s just all go home!" Everyone headed to the exit. "I wonder what will happen next, and what will the King say."

 

"I don’t really care what will happen, I just want to go home!" Yooncheol exclaimed.

 

Hansol laughed clinging onto Yooncheol’s arm.

 

"What do you say, Aelena-noona? Maybe a free trip to an amusement park here!"

 

"There’s no amusement park here!" Yooncheol said.

 

Sanggyun frowned. "Aelena-noona?" he looked behind and he gasped when he saw Aelena lying on the ground. "Noona!"