Unfamiliar Place

Knights

"What the.. Where am I?" he said kneeling on the ground and with his head spinning.

 

The last time he remembered he was at the dorm just got home from the company, Stardom. Usually, he would be himself being cute with the other members as the second youngest of their group, Topp Dogg. Sanggyun would sit by the older members, lean comfortably on their shoulder with his knees on his chest, and rock himself back and forth. However, he wasn't at the mood to do his usual things. He lied down straight to bed exhausted. They spent the whole day practising and preparing for their upcoming second mini album.

 

To produce music and performances that people would like, especially Topp Klass, the group spent from early morning to late midnight in the company preparing. But, they pushed themselves too hard on that day. They practised non-stop that they can feel muscles forming on their body. With that  thought in mind, Sanggyun got up again and slowly went to their dorm's changeroom. He went up to a mirror on the closet door. He looked at himself wearing only a tank top and sweat pants and turning side to side to see the muscles in his arms.

 

"Ah my body.." he said tightening his arm muscles and defining them. Then loosening his muscles as his body started to ache from exhaustion. Holding onto the mirror, Sanggyun inhaled a deep breath and said, "Ah I want to go somewhere relaxing." Then he saw a small glint on the mirror.

 

Sanggyun standing in the changeroom was his last memory before he came into this place. A place where he couldn't see rows of their clothes hanging and dirty piles on the floor; where the place wasn't lit by a single fluorescent light; and where the place didn't have the smell of sweat. Instead, hard ground under his feet, trees on every corner of his eyes, broad daylight above him, and a smell of fresh cool breeze.

 

"What the.. Where am I?" He looked around, and the ground, trees and fresh air were still there. "I must be dreaming.. That's it! Just a dream. I must've been really exhausted that I got knocked out after going home." Sanggyun closed his eyes and took deep breaths thinking that exhaustion was making him delusional. He pinched his arms and shook his body awake. Yet, he was still there.

 

With his failed attempt, Sanggyun decided to wander around. He figured if he wasn’t waking up anytime soon, might as well enjoy this dream. Then a sudden heat hit him. He felt a burn on the back of his shoulder blades. A heat like someone was firing a blow dryer on his back. He patted his back, but he didn't feel anything rough or something. He looked around him, but there wasn't anything or anyone there that could cause it. Just as the pain suddenly appeared, it went away right away. Sanggyun crunched his eyebrows in confusion and continued wandering.

 

Sanggyun was taking in the scene with amazement. He was waving his hand in the air for how clear and pollution free it felt; touching the bushes and trees for how well they've grown and for the real feeling they give for a dream; hearing carefully of the rustling trees from the wind and sounds from types of animals he didn't know what name; and smiling for the sunny weather.

 

"Hm, for a dream, this feels real! I can see, hear, smell and feel everything like it's real. The pain earlier felt real, too," he said and thought for a second. "Now that I think I about it, I still feel exhausted like when I got back to dorm." The feeling of tiredness was coming back to him, so he decided to sit under a tall tree. He looked up for awhile and look back down. The tree was very tall that looking up made it feel as if the room was spinning.

 

Sanggyun sat there for a few minutes still amused and eventually fell asleep.

 

Deep in his slumber, Sanggyun slept for five hours draining all his exhaustion away. He would've sleep more if it weren't for the sweet aroma and voices of people. He opened his eyes and saw an old lady and an old man. They must be a couple. They were wearing ragged historic-like clothings like ones in movies portraying people living in a small faraway town in a country. They were talking to each other while looking at him. Sanggyun couldn't make up anything they were saying with unfamiliar accent and language. He definitely knew it wasn't English.

 

The couple came close to him and tried to converse with him.

 

"Is there something wrong young man? Are you lost, sonny? What happened to your clothes?"

 

"Ah.. Uhm.. Wha.. I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about."

 

"What is he saying? Is he speaking another language? The night is getting rough this time and unusual animals pop up. Come with us and we'll give you proper clothing and shelter for the night. " The old man extended his hand to Sanggyun.

 

"Ah it's ok. I'm fine here," he said waving his hands smiling.

 

"What a grateful young man!" the old woman smiled. "Ok!" the old man took both of Sanggyun's hands and hauled him up.

 

"Eh?" He didn't know that the couple took his gestures as an appreciation for their help. Not knowing what to do, he just went with them.

 

While they were walking, Sanggyun noticed how late it has gotten. The sun has just set and the only source of light was the lamp the old man was holding. He stared at the couples back being wary that something might happen. He knew that he shouldn't be coming with strangers, but he still believed he’s still dreaming. Just like in his other dreams, he wanted to know what would happen on this dream; though he would appreciate this dream more if he can understand them. They started talking to him again.

 

"Hey there, I know you might be thinking if it's a good idea to come with strangers, but we're not bad people. You look like you can use some help," the old man said.

 

Sanggyun replied with a confused look.

 

The old man chuckled. "My name is Sadon, and this is my wife, Edna," he gestured to himself and his wife and repeated their names again.

 

Those must be their names. "I'm Sanggyun. Sanggyun," he put his hand on his chest.

 

"Sanggyun is your name? Is that right? Sanggyun. Nice to meet you, Sanggyun," the couple smiled.

 

"Earlier you were speaking another language. I knew some other languages, but I don't think I've heard your language before. Well, I guess you learn something new everyday," Sadon said.

 

Even though they wouldn't understand, Sanggyun asked, "Where are we going?"

 

"We're sorry we can't understand, but I hope once we get to town  someone can understand or speak your language," Edna apologised. "I have some questions of my own like what were you doing at the forest, why you have little clothing, and what is that black thing on your back. Well, maybe we'll find out soon."

 

The three of them walked in silence. Occasionally the couple would look back if Sanggyun was still with them, and he would just give them a smile. After walking for half an hour, they reached the town. It was a calm town; the people looked relaxed, and the street wasn't noisy and it was dimly lit by street lamps.

 

"We're almost the the town square. We'll see if someone there can understand you," Edna said.

 

They kept walking. Fascinated, Sanggyun walked like a tourist looking left and right in amazement. He was dazed by the unfamiliar sight that he didn't see someone come out of the dark alley. Someone placed its hand on Sanggyun's mouth and dragged him in the dark.