A Midnight Ocean

The different colored eye girl.

The past few days have been blissful for Yongguk and if it were possible Yongguk would stop time then and there. Somehow, Araciel has opened up more to Yongguk, yet Yongguk knows that she hasn’t opened up to him entirely but he knows it won’t be too long. Yongguk wants to make her his, and he knows too well Araciel feels something for him because the way she smiles when she sees him denotes that there is a fraction of hope building up.

Since the time, they both went to the convenience store together, Araciel has felt like she could trust Yongguk. She knows that Yongguk will protect her, but she is scared because it is all foreign to her.

Araciel doesn’t know anything about love; she doesn’t know how to trust, let alone, love or be loved. She has been in the dark far too long or more like; she was born in the dark. Like a fish trapped in the aphotic zone; vulnerable in the dark and without being able to see what comes her way, until she saw a flicker of light in the distance. A small radiant dot of light far and out of her reach but she won’t swim near it; she won’t dare to. Araciel is afraid to swim near that dot of light because she doesn’t know what’s behind it and she doesn’t know if she will even be able to reach it. What if it’s an illusion in her head? What if that dot of light is a mere hoax? Or even worse, what if that speck of light will hurt her?

In all honesty, she still hopes that it is real. She hopes that if she were to swim towards it, it would get bigger and brighter, taking over every fragment of her darkness because the temperature is so cold down in a midnight ocean. She wants Yongguk to be her bioluminescence; her light generated by a living thing. A knock on the front door echoed throughout the walls and empty spaces of the living room. No one answered. Another knock, this time louder. Yongguk ran down the hallway as annoyance radiated from him. Another knock was about to go through when Yongguk violently opened the door revealing a flustered Daehyun.

“What could you possibly want so late at night for god’s sake Daehyun!” Yongguk half yelled half whispered. Being 1:30 in the morning, Yongguk should have been asleep by now, but his thoughts were holding him prisoner and Daehyun’s knocks broke his reverie. He looked at Yongguk who just stared at him with wide eyes, not even blinking. “You’re lucky my parents went on a trip to Venice, or my dad would have scolded you.” Yongguk stepped aside denoting that it was alright for Daehyun to enter. Daehyun scurried in without giving it a second thought, after all, he needed to talk to Yongguk. He needed to let out the frustration that bottled up since that day he was with Youngjae. Daehyun needed to tell Yongguk of his best friend and what had happened that day. Daehyun didn't know how to process it, and he sure did not know how to talk to Youngjae again.

“I’m concern,” Yongguk said heading towards the light switch. “You haven’t said anything and knowing how loquacious you are I have to say, it makes me worry. What’s wrong?” Daehyun looked at him, not sure how to start. Not sure if he should start from the beginning or just go straight to the point.

“I – uh…” Daehyun paused feeling overwhelmed.

“What is it? You’re scaring me damn it,” Yongguk stepped closer to him.

“It’s about Youngjae,” Yongguk panicked thinking something terrible must have happened to Youngjae.

“Did something happen?” His heart raced higher. “Is he hurt?”

“No, he’s fine. It’s just that, he…” Daehyun felt guilty. He thought of it as talking behind his back, something he never did. Then again, Youngjae had never kissed him before. Well, to be more precise he didn't even know Youngjae had those sorts of feelings for him. They have been friends since they were in second grade and they have shared everything and experience everything together. They have seen each other get stepped on by their now ex-lovers and they have seen each other heartbroken over those ex-lovers, but they were all…females. Daehyun never knew Youngjae to be into men. He was just so confused. “I don’t know how to say it, so I’ll just say it and just get it done with it.”

Daehyun didn't say anything; the lump on his throat widen, and it became painful.

“Say it damn it!” Yongguk grew impatient, sleep finally landing on him slowly.

“Youngjae kissed me…” Daehyun finally said pouring out the heavy burden he was carrying. Letting it float in the air as both Yongguk and Daehyun kept silent, Yongguk at a loss for words.

Yongguk could not take the awkward silence, he decided to speak, “What do you mean he kissed you? As a joke?”

“No, he kissed me in my sleep…”

“You have to tell me what you mean. I’m not following here.”

“Well, I went to his house, we watched a movie, I fell asleep, and he kissed me,” he breathed out quickly trying to get it over with.

“When did this happen exactly?” Yongguk asked intrigued taking hold of Daehyuns forearm towards the living room; Yongguk sat next to him.

“It happened two days ago,” he bit the tip of his thumb.

Yongguk didn't know what exactly he should say. He never thought of Youngjae like that and certainly not liking Daehyun but then again sometimes Youngjae made him wonder and now thinking back, it all makes sense. There were times Youngjae would do the littlest things that poured a trillion of emotions. The way he would cling to Daehyun when he felt tired, sad, scared, and just basically whenever he would feel any negative feeling. Youngjae didn't ever let Daehyun go, he would manipulate him into staying over, or he would make him drop everything he was doing, whether essential or not, and bring him food because “he wasn't feeling well.” Yongguk never put much thought to them; “they are like brothers, they’ve known each other for years,” was what Yongguk once told Himchan. Now that this whole ordeal has risen to the light, Yongguk wouldn’t mind if they ever dated. He isn’t one to judge others by the way they love or by who they love.

“I don’t mind if you two…”

“I’m not into him like that,” Daehyun cut him off. He didn't want to talk about that. He just simply didn't want to have a talk where it meant that Daehyun would be into Youngjae. Daehyun can’t help but see Youngjae with different lenses, and he knew that he shouldn’t be this way; they have known each other for years. Sometimes you don’t know anyone, doesn’t matter how close you are to people, whether you grew up with them or not. That feeling itself gave Daehyun a sting in the heart because during the time he knew Youngjae, Youngjae portrayed someone whom he never was. He felt hurt and deceived, Youngjae hid his true self behind a mask daubed with lies and suppressed emotions.

Yongguk knew them well enough, and even though this might be a difficult time for them, even more so than their previous one, he knew it would be ok in the end. They just needed time.

 

Yongguk woke up, seeing Daehyun next to him, he didn't want to wake him up; he seemed exhausted. Last night was something new for Yongguk, and it was evident that it was new for Daehyun as well. What Yongguk couldn’t grasp this whole situation was that, how could Youngjae hide his secret his entire life? That was beside the point now, right now he needed to just listen to both and just be there for them.

It seemed to be very late in the afternoon; the sunlight that was shining in through the window looked too saturated with reds and oranges. Placing his feet on the floor, Yongguk rose from bed heading into the bathroom in his room.

Before Yongguk could turn the shower head on his phone rang. He scurried his way across the room in hopes that Daehyun would not wake up from the noise, but it evidently didn't work. Daehyun groans before opening his eyelids; he was faced with Yongguk on the phone heading to the bathroom. All he heard before he the shower was his muffled chattering with whoever was on the other side of the line.

“Yeah, he’s here with me. He was sleeping, but the phone ringing woke him up. Hopefully, he doesn’t get in a bad mood. You know how he gets,” Yongguk chuckled.

“I didn't mean to wake him up. Were you asleep too?”

“I was up before you called.”

“I was just worried about him. He hasn’t talked to me in a few days, and I couldn’t get a hold of him at all yesterday. His parents told me he wasn't home all day and I didn't know what to do.”

“He is fine Youngjae, don’t worry much ok?” Yongguk assured him. Youngjae became curious; he wanted to know if Daehyun had told Yongguk anything about what happened that night. He was not sure how he should approach him about that matter or even if he should mention it. If he didn't know, Yongguk would be suspicious, but if he did know then it would be embarrassing for Youngjae; he was in a dilemma.

“What was he there for? If you don’t mind me asking,” Youngjae asked trying to figure out why Daehyun went to see Yongguk so late.

“He came to…” Yongguk didn't know if he should lie or tell the truth. Youngjae heard the hesitation in Yongguk’s voice, and he knew.

“It was about me, wasn't it?”

“Yeah, it was about you,” Yongguk sighed. He didn't want to make Youngjae uncomfortable.

“I’ll talk to you later then. Can you tell Daehyun to please call me back,” Youngjae groaned in annoyance. He just didn't want to lose his friend again; this time because of him.

“Yeah, I’ll let him know. Don’t worry too much. He will come through.” When Youngjae hung up a second call came in, and Yongguk immediately answered the call; it was Araciel.

“Hey, Ciel.” Yongguk smiled widely, showing this gummy smile. Though, he didn't expect what came next. His smile faded, his eyebrows crunched into a frown, every trace of happiness now gone and replaced with a worry and anxious sensation. “What’s wrong, why are you crying…?”

“Can you please come pick me up?” She pleaded. Araciel kept sobbing and could barely get any words out.

“Yes, where are you? Are at your house?”

“…No. I’ll text you the address,” Araciel said before finishing the call leaving Yongguk confused and worried. Within a minute or two, Yongguk received a text message from Araciel. Yongguk looked at the address, and he recognized the location which made him frown in confusion. He just woke up which meant he could be reading the address wrong but he couldn’t be wrong. He turned off the shower head before heading out the door of the restroom. Inside his room, Daehyun had awakened fully and sat at the edge of the bed indulging on this phone. Yongguk easily detected his smile, and it radiated with a profound glow that could be contagious, but Yongguk had other matters to worry about.

Daehyun’s smile was ephemeral the moment Yongguk stepped out from the bathroom; a worried look planted on his face. Yongguk didn't have the time to look at Daehyun; he had other things to worry about rather than why Daehyun was smiling like when the sun coruscates onto the earth. More importantly, why is Araciel in the dangerous parts of town?

“Hey. Where are you going?” Daehyun lowered his phone and stood up simultaneously. He saw the anxious look on Yongguk’s face, and he knew he had to pry. Yongguk didn't answer. “Yongguk?”

“I got a call from Ciel, she sounded bad. Apparently, she’s in the South Colony,” he tried to elude the idea of anything wrong happening with Araciel. It is incredibly impossible for Yongguk to distract himself from his stygian thoughts.

“The South Colony? What the hell is she doing at a dangerous place like that?”

“I have no idea, I'm concerned.” Yongguk lifted his keys from the nightstand next to his bed. “Will you accompany me?”

“Yes, I will. We should get there quick.”

 

Yongguk had no mind for anything else but Araciel; the way she sounded during their phone call made him anxious.

The façade that Yongguk tried to keep intact couldn’t fool Daehyun in no way. He knew that Yongguk was having a hard time and he couldn’t blame him. He only hoped for good things at the end.

It took Yongguk and Daehyun 20 minutes to get from their home to the South Colony; it was noticeable when the houses began to change in size and quality. The South Colony is known as a place of the unfortunate or in other words the poor and middle poor class. It is a place with no future for the good but a place for crime and gangs that will only lead to a stygian future.

Yongguk approached the location Araciel sent him about an hour ago, and it did not look pleasant what so ever. They arrived at a warehouse next to a construction site. Yongguk stopped the car and opened the door to this vehicle, setting foot on the damp darken soil underneath him. Making sure to lock his car with his hand remote the smell from a mixture of cigarettes, burnt wood, and earth entered his nostrils. He paused and looked at Daehyun; he wasn't sure if they were at the correct place. Yongguk took out his phone from his pocket to dial Araciel. After the second ring Araciel picked up, but silence filled both their ears.

“Ciel?” Yongguk spoke. The silence didn't break, and it made him anxious. “Ciel, where are you?” he insisted once more.

“I'm inside,” she quivered, barely audible. Yongguk did not think twice before running towards the entrance, and Daehyun was quick to follow. He placed two hands on the handle to the large wooden door and opened it. Dust spread out from the wood of the door making the air surrounding them cloudy. Daehyun swayed his hand's side to side in front of his face to spread the dust away from his nose. Inside, Yongguk and Daehyun found themselves in darkness, except for streams of light coruscating from the outside. Yongguk was utterly confused; he couldn’t pinpoint the reason why Araciel could be in a terrible place such as this warehouse.

He took out his phone to turn on the flashlight for it was difficult for them to see. Yongguk wasn’t sure if he should yell out for Araciel, but he knew he had to locate her some way or another. Daehyun, on the other hand, couldn’t help but feel a tad bit of fright. Dark and unknown places weren’t his thing and even worse not when that location is in the South Colony. He did not want Yongguk to know of his fright. Therefore, he acted in a way that does not define him. Daehyun tried to act tough and cool. But surely Yongguk couldn’t be fooled; Daehyun was afraid.

“Sh-should we start looking for her?” Daehyun mentally slapped himself for stuttering. It isn’t his fault; he simply couldn’t help being such a scaredy-cat.

“No, that isn’t necessary. I’ll give her a call.” Before Yongguk could dial her number there came a loud scream from the far left corner of the warehouse. The loudness of the cry reached the walls bouncing off and going straight into Yongguk’s and Daehyun’s ear alarming them; it is evident that Araciel is not far from them. Yongguk, from instinct, ran towards the sound of the scream, his blood raging within his veins and heart beating at maximum speed. Daehyun only followed behind hoping she would be alright.

“Ciel! Where are you?” Yongguk ran, dodging the multiple objects in his way. At the far end, where the scream originated from, he saw Araciel next to a couple of shelves. Sitting on the floor, knees pressed against her chest, Araciel could be heard in a crying state. “Ciel!” Yongguk reached her. The moment he touched her shoulder, Araciel hysterically jolted from the touch. She screamed trying to fight back; she simultaneously kicked and tried to push Yongguk away from her.

“No! GO AWAY!” She persisted.

“It’s me. It’s okay,” Yongguk tried to calm her down. It was only then that Araciel looked up meeting Yongguk’s gaze. Her eyes watered at the sight of Yongguk. He got lost in her eyes, the eyes that had their color; he could drown in them. Yongguk lifted his hand, and he moved her hair behind her ears, away from her face. A few strands lingered on her lips and cheeks from the previous and fresh tears. Yongguk raked his fingers through her hair, stopping at the side where his thumb rested on her cheek, he wiped her remaining tears away from her cheek. “I’m here,’ he whispered. Araciel closed her eyes to the touch, his voice being mellifluous to her ears.

Yongguk noticed her wrist with ligature marks. He saw her face: her lip cut, her cheek red and bruised in a light purple and red color. His mind went blank; he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

“Ciel, who did this to you?”

 

 

________

It's been long since I've updated. I'm sorry.