Brothers

Ego, Centric and Such

JB was in the living room, studying some files when he heard his brother yell.

"Bam, be quiet" he yelled too, "I can't concentrate!" But Bam kept yelling and he could not make out what had his brother so excited, so he got up to go see. It was Bam holding a case of CDs in front of Jackson. Bam was trying to get him to come in but Jackson was saying he could not because he had to be somewhere. Bam looked so crestfallen and JB sent him in. When it was only JB and Jackson, JB came closer and asked, "Where do you have to be anyway?"

"Not that it is any of your affair, but  a  job interview"

"Hmm", JB stepped back to look Jackson over, "Dressed like that?"

"Yeah. Jr said this was good"

"Hm"

Jackson did not reply and JB continued, "I am glad my speech motivated you"

"Don't flatter yourself JB. It wasn't you and anyway, I had this interview lined up way before you shot your mouth off"

"Who was it?" JB demanded

"Mark" Jackson answered

"Mark? Why? You barely know him." JB said as he pushed his glasses up and crossed his arms.

"Maybe so, but I plan to get to know him more" Jackson said with resolve and JB frowned. "Jackson, Mark is not at your level, if you even have one. He is smart, intelligent, sophisticated, stylish and mature. You are not these things"

Usually, Jackson let JB's words slide right off him but for some reason, today, JB's words rubbed him raw and he asked, "You really look down on me don't you?"

"I don't", JB lied, "I just think you aim too high some times, that's all".

Jackson could not even find the right words to reply to that so all he said was, "Tell Bam, I hope he likes the music" and he left.

When JB, went in after shutting the door behind Jackson, his little brother was waiting for him. "Why do you always talk to Jackson like that? He has never been rude to you but you always go out of your way to treat him so".

"I am simply reminding him of his place, Bam".

Bam could not reply because he saw that his brother really believed in his elitist words.

"I don't like it JB and I want you to stop talking to him like that".

But JB shook his head. "I will if he needs reminding Bam. I mean, I really don't see what you and your band of merry friends and Jr! see in him to always want to hang out with him",  JB finished saying before leaving Bam. He truly did not understand.

   That evening, Jr was waiting for Jackson's phone call but nada. Finally he called him and it was picked up after several rings. "How was it?" Jr asked without preamble.

"I didn't get it"

Jr did not say anything. Jackson sounded so dejected as he continued. "I am not being filial, Jr. I cannot keep living off my parents' credit cards. It has to stop at some point Jr. I can't go back home empty handed Jr. I just can't".

"Then stop refusing my help Jackson. Let me talk to Mark!"

"No, no no. Let's talk  later ok? I am tired" and Jackson hung up.

On Jr's end, he cradled the phone slowly, still thinking. He felt bad for his friend. A voice behind him spoke making him jump. He had forgotten about him.

"He didn't get it did he?" JB asked

"Nah", Jr sighed

"As expected"

"What does that mean?"

"Come on Jr. You saw his get up which I still can't believe you approved of. The way he carried himself, no confidence what so ever. And his background, pfft. Plus, I have seen that weak resume of his. That job was way above his qualificatios".

"Excuse me?" Jr said softly but JB was warming up and did not heed the warning sign, "And do you believe he actually thinks he could be friends with someone like Mark?!" JB burst out laughing.

Jr had had it, "Get out JB"

"What?"

"I said leave. I don't want to see you right now"

"We still need to..."

But Jr got up and started pushing JB out. He shut the door firmly when he succeeded. What an , he thought as he went to get a drink.

         "You are home early", Bam commented on seeing his brother coming in. "I thought you and Jr had a whole bunch of briefs to study".

"We did" JB said, throwing his keys on the coffee table, "Until Jr spoke with Jackson which soured his mood. Jr started acting irrational". Bam suspected it was his brother who gave Jr reason but he kept quiet.

"Anyway", JB was saying, "I will call Yugyeom tomorrow to get me the rest of what I need on those briefs". After JB left, Bam went to his room to call Jackson. He had already figured out what had happened.

"I am so sorry Jackson"

"It's ok. I will just keep looking" Jackson said. Both spoke for a while before hanging up.

Bam came out of his room and saw his brother at the dining table studying. Nothing new in that. His brother had always been hard working. A glass of water, celery and peanut butter accompanied JB.  Bam went back to his room knowing JB would be there till very late and he wondered how someone so successful at life could so much at being a person.