Just Met

Ego, Centric and Such

The club was overcrowded, noisy as a club should be and hot. JB really did not want to be here but it was Jr's day. Yet, that did not stop him from voicing his opinion as he pushed his eye glasses up his nose. "Really Jr. Why didn't you let me treat you to something better for your promoion, where we can at least hear each other speak without straining?"

"Because this is what I like", Jr, replied while bopping his head to the music as he found them a table. Both had just settled when JB felt his hackles rise and he turned toward the dance floor. Then swiveled back to Jr who was dancing to the music.

"I thought it was going to be just us. What is he doing here?" JB demanded as he indicated with a thumb over his shoulder.

Jr. closed his eyes a moment for patience then opened them and replied, "He is also my friend and you will get along tonight for me".

"I do try to get along, he does not, making things impossible", JB was saying when an arm came around his shoulders with familiarity and a voice yelled, "Hey JB and congratulations Jr."

JB shrugged the arm off frowning as he looked up at the newcomer, "Jackson, there is no need to yell and what have I said about you being that close to me?"

Jackson backed away, palms up in peace but his words were not as he said, still smiling, "Remind me again. I can't remember" and he brought his ear to JB's mouth who frowned some more and looked pointedly at Jr.   Jr. stepped in. "Come on Jackson, leave him alone and sit beside me".

All settled, Jr. said, "JB wanted a less crowded place"

"I agree" Jackson surprised the other two by saying. Jr protested, "But all of us love dancing. That is why I chose here".

"Yeah but I had a long day Jr. It was tougher today and I won't  have minded a quieter place. Hell, even his brother's joint would have been good" Jackson said nodding at JB. Jr's face fell and both JB and Jackson rushed to reassure him.

"No, no. We are still glad to be here with you Jr. It is your day, don't let us spoil it for you" JB said then Jackson, "See what you did?"

"We are going to have a good time", Jackson promised, ignoring JB, as he spoke to Jr and the drinks they had ordered arrived in time.

They were watching the crowd as they drank when JB asked Jackson, "What is wrong with my brother's place?"

"It's alright, just that it can get really rowdy when he and his friends get together"

JB rolled his eyes, "That is rich considering you both like the same kind of entertainment"..

Jackson only shrugged, "True. I even got him a few things like CDs"

"I would thank you to hang out less with my brother, Jackson. I don't care for your influence on him". 

At that, Jackson got serious and he was about to retort when Jr put his hand on his arm and said, "Let's go else where". All 3 looked at each other a moment, then agreed. The atmosphere there, was not working for them. They were getting up when Jackson stopped and JB turned to see why. One of the most gorgeous beings either had ever seen had just walked in. He was of average height but the rest of him was anything but average. JB had already taken an unconscious  step foward, when the guy looked staright at them and smiled. JB's breath caught. Before he could speak, the guy walked towards them. But he passed them and made his way straight to Jr.and hugged him, "Congratulations Jr. You deserved this. I am so glad for you".

Jr returned the hug warmly, "Thank you Mark. It was your doing. You guided me well"

"I did, didn't I ?" Mark laughed, only looking at Jr.

The other two were still staring when Jr pulled out of Mark's arms, "Mark, these are my friends, JB and Jackson"

"Hi" Mark said smiling, stll not letting go completely of Jr.

"Hi" the other two replied stars still in their eyes and Jr. spoke, "We were gonna go elsewhere. Come with us Mark".

"Sure", Mark replied and the other two released breaths they had not known they were even holding.

Jr. allowed Mark to choose the next place and JB approved, "Good food, good music, good company" JB was saying when they arrived and got settled. Jackson asked how Mark and Jr knew each other.

"He interned with me for a loooooooong time, and he was good" Mark quickly added when Jr shot him a look at the long part. "I was very tempted not to let him go" Mark finished as he drew Jr closer and nuzzled him. JB raised an eyebrow at that which he did not know Jackson saw. Jr laughed as he pushed Mark away and said, "You did right in letting me go, look how proud I am making you".

"Not let him go?" Jackson asked, referring to what Mark said before and Mark explained he had to sign off on same papers to end Jr's internship. Nothing very complicated. Then Mark asked how they knew Jr.

"Childhood friend", JB answered promptly

"School mates", Jackson followed. Conversation flowed onward as Jackson entertained them with very funny stories.

"You have truly lived", Mark commented at one point when he could catch his breath from all the laughing, "You have been through so much. It is hard to believe you went through all that".

"Isn't it?" JB muttered as he had his glass to his lips and Jr pinched him under the table. Besides the occasional snide comments from JB, the night was a good one and well spent but soon it had to end. Mark was the first to leave, saying he hoped to see them all again. JB was next in wanting to leave and Jackson asked, "Why? Let's stay a while longer".

"Not all of us can bum around like you", JB retorted and Jr murmured, "Cool it JB". But for some reason, JB was riled. "Why Jr? You know it is true. I don't know why you hang out with him", JB finished as he threw up his hands in frustration.

"He is a good friend to me" Jr defended, now also getting worked up and Jackson held his hand up. "You don't need to defend me to him, Jr"

"And he should not have to, Jackson" JB snapped. "All you do is rest on Jr's laurels. You have no ambition and you persist in hanging around with us. Jr allows this only because he feels sorry for you". JB was not done when Jr was up and furious, "Shut up, JB" he turned to Jackson who was still sitting down and had said nothing so far, "and that is not true Jackson".

Jackson's smile never lost his charm as he said, "I know that, don't worry about it". Then he looked at JB and said quietly, "I feel sorry for that stick lodged so far up your ". He turned back to Jr., "I am really glad about your promotion, man. Now let me leave before I do something bad". Jr had noticed how much Jackson had been containing himself through out JB's tirade, when he saw Jackson's hands were fisted, so he simply nodded in agreement. It was now only JB and Jr. and JB could not resist saying, "I bet he left without paying. Just so you know, I am not paying for him". Jr was exasperated, "Mark payed for all of us before he left".

JB paused, "He did?! What style". JB was impressed but Jr was still very angry. "I don't like how you treat Jackson"

JB looked genuinely surprised, "Why? It's not as if he is in our league"

"What?!"

"Well, it's true. We all have stability and all he does is putter around all day"

"You don't know that JB. You don't know what he does. You know how hard things have been for him since his last fencing competition"

"Pshaw. How long will he milk that one?"

"JB, you can be so unfeeling, there are times I am not sure I even like you".

JB curbed himself, "I am sorry Jr. I will try to do better next time I around Jackson"

"Thank you", Jr replied, "and now that is settled, "buy me this pastry to take home"

JB just shook his head fondly as he complied.