Happy Times

Ego, Centric and Such

Mark was gone and Jr had invited Jackson and JB to celebrate Jackson's portfolio and recent employment. "Hey, hey. Don't be bashful", Jr teased as he pulled Jackson to sit beside him. JB took the seat facing them and sat down quietly. "We have been friends for so long and I am happy to do this for you Jackson". Jr had plans for a bigger party later on but for now, it was just this intimate circle. "No more living off your parents' credit card eh"  Jr teased some more.

This night was about Jackson so Jr ignored JB's taciturn behaviour and kept the fun going. He regretted inviting him now but it was force of habit, since childhood, to always call JB during happy occasions. Jackson went to talk to the waiter about his order leaving JB and Jr alone.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Jr. muttered angrily at JB. "Can't you fake it for a while at least?"

"I am happy for Jackson. I really am" JB promised and Jr could tell he was sincere but he still heard the bitterness in JB's voice. "OK, no  matter. You will it up and be more fun. Jackson does not show it but you have no idea what a great burden it was for him to be living the way he had been all along".

JB nodded and when Jackson returned, JB even managed a small smile. Jackson was simply happy to have a job  that could lead to a career. All three drank, ate, talked before Jr had to leave. Immediately he was gone, Jackson did not waste time. "Let's stop"

"Stop what?"

"Let's stop seeing each other"

JB's eyes narrowed, "So you think you are above it all now, huh?

"No JB. Obviously you are not interested anymore"

JB let a small laugh escape, "When did I ever say that?"

"You didn't need to. When we are together you are elsewhere. I didn't mind before, because at least, you never forgot I was the one with you in bed. But lately..."Jackson's voice trailed. Then he slipped a piece of paper toward JB across the table which JB picked up and looked at before crumpling in a fist. "So you have been communicating with Mark all this time?"

"Of course. He was my mentor"

Were you ing him too?"

"What?!"

"Is that the reason for this sudden 'break' between us?"

"Stop with the hand quotes and no. You are the reason"

"Convenient", JB muttered

"What did you say? Speak up!" Jackson snapped getting irritated with JB now. But JB kept silent with the crumpled paper still in his fist. Finally, he got up and left without a word. Jackson let him without a word either.