Good News?

To The Top!

Minah and Sue walked to the cafeteria for dinner exited to share their good news.

 

Minah dropped her tray and sat down with a big grin on her face.

L.Joe laughed “Why are you in such a good mood?”

Ricky in “Ooh ooh! I know! I know! You got an A on a test.”

Minah shook her head no.

“It’s your birthday!” Ricky guessed.

“Guess again”

“You got the last piece of pizza”

Minah couldn’t hold in her excitement any longer “I made the competitive tennis team!”

“That’s amazing!” Ricky replied.

“Good job Minah” The group all congratulated her.

Changjo sat down at the table “What’s all the commotion about?”

“Minah made the team!” Chunji proudly said.

Changjo looked Minah right in the eyes. “So? Is that supposed to be hard?”

Minah’s expression dropped.

“Changjo!” Niel yelled at him.

Changjo ignored him and ate his pizza.

Minah stared at Changjo. Why did he hate her so much?

“Just ignore him Minah, He doesn’t know what he’s talking about” Niel patted Minah’s back.

Minah pushed away her pizza. “I’m going to head back, I’m really tired.” Minah got up and left the cafeteria.

Everyone stared at Changjo. Niel pushed him out of his chair and pointed at the door. “Go fix it”

Changjo stared at him wide eyed “I didn’t do anything”

Niel stared at him intensely “I said fix it!”

Changjo got up off the floor “Alright alright, you don’t have to tell me twice.”

 

Changjo ran outside and searched for Minah. After looking for a while he found her sitting on a bench by the soccer field.

He took a deep breath and fixed his hair before sitting next to her. “Beautiful night huh?”

Minah looked over at him “You don’t have to cheer me up Changjo. I’m fine”

Changjo sighed. “I’m not trying to cheer you up. It’s just a nice night”

Minah got up and walked away. Changjo started waking behind her.

“Are you following me?” Minah called out.

“Why would I be following you? It’s just a perfect night for a walk.”

Minah rolled her eyes and kept walking.

Changjo caught up to her “Seeing as though you’re walking too, we might as well walk together”

Minah tried to walk faster but Changjo kept catching up. Minah tripped on her own feet and rolled over in the grass. Changjo, being right behind her, tripped over her into the grass.

Minah and Changjo locked eyes for a moment and then burst out into laughter.

“You’re so clumsy! Tripping on your own feet like that”

Minah punched his shoulder and then layed down in the grass. Changjo followed her lead and they both looked up at the stars.

After a few moments Minah spoke up “I don’t get you Changjo. You never speak to me and on the rare occasion that you do speak to me it’s an insult. Do you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you Minah”

Minah sat up “Then why act so cold around me?”

Changjo shrugged.  “I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve been jealous”

Minah got up and brushed the grass off her. “We better get back to our friends. “

Changjo jumped up “Minah wait”

Minah turned around.

“I’m sorry that I’ve been such a jerk to you.”

Minah smiled “It’s okay”

“No it’s not. Congratulations on making the tennis team, you deserve it.”

“Thanks Changjo”

 

Minah entered her room and shut the door behind her. “Anna are you here?”

Anna was at her desk working on something. “A package came for you. I left it on the table.”

There was a large box on the table labeled “fragile”

Minah grabbed some scissors and opened it.

“What is it?” Anna asked.

Minah’s face lit up “Just an old friend”