The Tennis Match

To The Top!

The girls on the tennis team were intense; they all had muscular thighs and looked like they would crush you with their bare hands.

Minah walked onto the court and was stopped by the coach. “Hey newbie, go get dressed and meet me back here in 5 minutes.”

Minah ran into the locker room and changed into her old pink tennis uniform.  She ran back out to the coach.

“Alright newbie listen up. Just because you got into the school does not mean you are on the team. It’s time for your tryout.”

Minah suddenly became nervous. What if she failed the tryout, would she be able to stay at the school?

“Sue” Coach yelled. A girl with black straight hair ran over to them. “This is Sue; she is the captain of the team. For your tryout you will go against her in a match. We don’t expect you to win; we’re just testing to see how bad you lose. If you put up a good fight then you make the team.”

Sue smirked “Try to win at least one game.”

Minah gulped. Sue wasn’t like the other girls on the team. She didn’t look overly muscular; instead she looked small and skinny. But Minah could tell by looking in her eyes that this wasn’t going to be easy.

“Are you ready?” Sue asked.

-

Back at the soccer field Niel, Ricky, L.joe and Chanjo were in the locker room changing into their uniforms.

“We have to go!” Niel pleaded.

“It’s just a practice, why should we leave ours just to watch hers” Changjo was not up for missing a practice.

“C’mon it’s her first practice, she needs support” Niel whined.

“Coach would never let us leave” L.Joe responded.

Ricky brightened as if a light bulb had appeared above his head. “Hey guys, I got an idea”

The coach waited until all the players entered the field. “Alright men let’s start with laps”

Everyone groaned. Then coach’s phone rang.

He answered it. “Hello, yes, um no…what! My Refrigerator is running! Alright thank you, I’ll be right there.” Coach hung up the phone.

“Sorry guys. Just run laps until I’m back.”

When the coach left they all cheered “I can’t believe that worked” Niel applauded Ricky.

“Okay guys let’s go!” Niel and the gang headed to the tennis courts.

-

“Are you ready?” Sue asked.

Minah took a deep breath “Game on”

The game began with Sue’s serve. She threw up the ball with excellent form and smacked it down. Minah didn’t even see the ball until it was behind her.

“Sorry, I’ll go a bit easier on you” Sue yelled.

Minah was insulted. “No need”

“You sure?” Sue asked.

“Just serve”

Sue threw up the ball and Minah moved to the back of the court. This time she was ready, she hit it back into Sue’s court. They rallied a bit before Minah took the next point. “15-all!” the Coach yelled.

Minah was already sweating. She ran but couldn’t keep up with the ball. She had lost the first game to Sue and it was her turn to serve.

She bounced the ball. Sue was fast she could be any where on the court in seconds. Minah wasn’t feeling motivated, she served the ball and before she knew it the ball was behind her. “15-love”

But just when Minah was about to give up she heard cheering. “Minah! Minah! Minah!” The soccer team came to cheer her on. That was just what she needed to hear, with the next serve she took a point. “15-all”

Minah was feeling recharged. She took the next game no problem. “Switch courts!”

Minah and Sue switched courts.

“Hey Minah you’re not too bad. I’m not going easy on you anymore.” Sue was smiling.

The next game was over before Minah knew it. Sue was no longer holding back and Minah could see why she was the captain.

Minah went to the bench and drank some water. She was covered in sweat and breathing heavy.

-

“She looks exhausted” Ricky commented. “I hope she’s okay”

“She is versing the captain. It really isn’t fair of them to make her do this on the first day” Niel said.

Changjo clenched his fists.

“I guess they have to test her strength and endurance. How many games are there anyway?” L.joe asked

“Three in women’s tennis, But you have to win by two games, so if the score is 2 to 2 then they have to go to four.” Chunji replied.

“When did you get there and how do you know so much about tennis?” Ricky asked.

“I heard Minah was having practice so I headed over and I just googled the tennis stuff”

-

“Hey Sue!” Minah called.

Sue looked over at her.

“I’m gonna stop going easy on you now” Minah yelled.

Sue laughed. She had to admit Minah had a fighting spirit.

Then next game was Minah’s serve and she was ready. With her new found spirit she took the game 15-40.

Sue won the next match leaving the score at 3-2 with Minah losing. But Minah still didn’t give up she gave her best until the last second.

“Match point” Sue smacked the ball in one corner and then to the other. She moved in position to make a volley. Minah saw her and move into position to return it, but just when she did Sue hit a dunk instead of a volley. Minah ran as fast as she could to get it but she missed and rolled onto the ground.

“Game Set Match. Sue wins 4-2”

 

“Minah!!!” Ricky yelled!

L.Joe moved to go get her when Niel moved his arm in front of him.

 

Sue held her hand out for Minah “Good game” Minah smiled and let Sue pick her up.

Coach started clapping and everyone else joined in. “Minah, You made the team”

Minah’s eyes lit up “Really!”

Sue laughed “Most people never even win one game against me.”

Minah headed to the locker room with the coach and Sue. “Here you go” Coach handed her a key. ”This is the key to your locker; if you leave your uniform inside it will get washed. You can call me Coach Roseau.”  

When Coach Roseau left Minah showered and got dressed. She walked out of the locker room to see her friends waiting for her.

“There’s our tennis star!” Niel yelled.

“It’s time to celebrate! Pizza on me!”

“Can I come?” Sue asked.

Minah laughed “Of course you can”