Falling in love

Saving Ms. Lee Chaerin

 

• Dara •

 

"chae, where are we!" I squealed as chaerin drags me up the side some pier, a picnic basket clutched in her free hand. When I woke this morning, her limo was already waiting outside for me. I got dressed and skipped breakfast, a part of me happy that chaerin was acting like her real self around me.

 

"I don't like heights." I whine as she brings me to a stop at the tip of the pier. It's not THAT high, but high enough to cause death if you slip and tumble down. I can hear the waves crashing agains the giant rock and the wind whistling around us.

 

"Calm down." chaerin tells me. "You're safe with me." sHe smiles.

 

I heave a sigh and flip onto the cold ground, not really feeling like below at the roaring, deadly waters. "Why is this place to memorable?" I decide to ask her, trying to get my mind off what would happened if I ever tripped up here. chaerin flops down beside me, prying open her picnic basket and taking out a pretty big, beach towel for us to sit on. sHe spreads it out and slides onto it, motioning for me to do the same.

 

"It's not memorable," sHe says honestly. "I lied. I don't have a memorable spot. But..." sHe kinda blushes. "It's memorable now." I open my mouth to respond but close it again, a slight blush rising in my cheeks.

 

"Do you like grilled cheese sandwiches?" chaerin blurts, changing the subject. I quickly nod. "Definitely."

 

chaerin grins. "Great. Mine's are killer." sHe flashes me a lopsided smile as she takes her homemade sandwiches out of the basket.

 

"What did you bring to drink? Vodka?" I tease. sHe frowns while she pulls out two small cans of coke. "No. I'm done with the drinking." My eyes widen. "Really?" I exclaim, my voice sounded a little more excited than I was going for. sHe was changing.

 

chaerin chuckles. "Yeah. I really don't want you to think I'm someone who I'm not." I smile and watch her place a medium-sized plate of strawberries between us.

 

"I'm not sure if you like strawberries," sHe said. "But I brought whip cream anyways." sHe emptied the basket, the only thing left a can of whip cream.

 

"I love strawberries," I inform her. "And with whip cream, even better." I snatch a strawberry and prop it into my mouth, making a face of delight.

 

chaerin laughs softly and takes a large bite out of her sandwich. "Hey, Dara-ssi?" sHe says once she's swallowed her bite of sandwich. "What really happened at the hospital yesterday? You seemed tense."

 

I grab my sandwich and twirl it around in my fingers. "To be honest, I don't know." I sigh. "Dr.Gong told me something I never knew about my mother."

 

"What is it?" chaerin looks at me, her eyes caring and trustworthy. I close my eyes for a second, letting the breeze blow through my hair. "He told me she had AIDs." I mutter. "Dont you think I should have known? There's so many questions and secrets in family all the sudden and I have no idea how to react."

 

chaerin throws me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, dara." When she said it, I could tell she really was sorry.

 

"What about your grandfather?" I ask her, changing the topic. "How's he doing?" chaerin smiles, the expression on her face becoming a happy one. "He's doing way better. The doctor says he's responding to the treatment very well."

 

I grin and reach over, absentmindly giving chaerin's hand a squeeze. "That's good news." chaerin nods and looks down at my hand that's still on her . When she looks up again, there's a smile clearly written on her face.

 

I look away, trying hard to blush. My eyes fall on the whip cream can. I take my hand away from chaerin's and grab the whip cream.

 

"You know," I say. "This is my favorite thing about the whip cream." I stifle a laugh and lean over, taking chaerin off guard when I spray a dot of whip cream in her nose. she widen and she curves her lip into a mischievious smile. "I cant believe you just did that."

 

"I did!" I chirp, smearing the dot of whip cream all over her face. "It's on!" sHe laughs and makes a grab for the whip cream can. I fall back and try my best to keep the can away from her clutches, all though an outroar of laughter.

 

"chaerin!" I squeal. sHe's on top of me now which causes me to go out of focus. The can is snatched out of my hands and she begins to smother whip cream all over my face.

 

I giggle, trying to block my face with my hands. "chae!" I say again. I fight back for the whip cream, trying with all my might to at least knock it out of her hands. I succeed...but the can begins to roll...falling straight down the pier and onto the roaring waters below. chaerin's still on top of me. We're both covered in whip cream, me more than her. We can't seem to stop laughing, unaware of the position we were in.

 

When our laughter decreases, chaerin's eyes bore into mine. I'm breathing hard now, feeling lost in her hazel, brown eyes.

 

"You have a little bit of whip cream on your face." sHe chuckles.

 

"Do I? I didn't-" I begin to reply using one of my smartass comments, but her face is now inching closer to mine.

 

I close my eyes, actually wanting her to kiss me. I can feel her breath of my lips now. Why does it seem like everything's suddenly in slow motion? Just kiss me already, I wanted to say. Suddenly someone's phone begins to blast I open my eyes and chaerin sighs, slipping off me and sitting up. I do the same.

 

"Who is it?" I ask her.

 

sHe shrugs and slips her phone out of her pocket. All the sudden, all the color drains from her face.

 

"chae?" I lean over and look at her phone's screen.

 

It reads: Incoming Call. Tiffany.

 

"I'm not going to answer." chaerin mutters.

 

"She's been calling me every friggin' day. What does she want?"

 

"I don't know." I take the phone away from her and set it aside. "Forget about it."

 

I grab a strawberry and pull the leaves of the top, sticking the berry in my mouth, half of it sticking out.

 

Before I can react, chaerin's arms are around my waist and she pulls me to her, her lips on mine, half of my strawberry now gone. We pull away, chewing on a different half of the strawberry. There's a smile on her face while I smile too, blushing deeply. Once we swallow, her lips find themselves on mine again.

 

sHe kisses me and I kiss her back, feeling my heart skip too many beats to count. And that's when I realize that I just might be falling in love with chaerin like she's falling in love with me.