seoul's biggest player

Saving Ms. Lee Chaerin

 

- CHAERIN -

 

I yawn and sit up, rubbing at my eyes. My vision is blurry and I have a horrible headache. Where was I? I look around. It looks like some sort of restraunt.

 

Something suddenly falls onto my lap. I glance down, startled. It's a girl. Her head's now on my lap and she's asleep. I frown, all memory from last night fuzzy. How did I get here?

 

The girl moans and sits up, yawning and stretching. She looks over at me and her eyes widen. For a second there I expect her to scream and be all like "IT'S LEE CHAERIN!" but instead she blurts: "We spent the night here?!"

 

Now it's my eyes that widen. "Wait...what? We...did we...how...we didn't..."

 

She quickly shakes her head. "What? No! No, no, no! Nothing happened! What did you-no!" Her face is horrified.

 

I raise my hands in defense. "Hey! Sorry! I just thought..." I run a hand through my hair.

 

"Nevermind."

 

The girl sighs. She has straight black hair and clear black eyes. Her skin is luminous...flawless. All in all...she's sorta cute.

 

"Why am I here?" I ask her.

 

"You were drunk. I brought you here. We fell asleep." She raises an eyebrow. "Remember?"

 

I frown. "No..." A pain ripples through my head and I wince. I place my hand to my forehead.

 

"I see you still have a headache" The girls murmers.

 

I nod. "Who are you anyways?"

 

"Dara." She tells me.

 

"You should have left me alone." I mumble.

 

"Now my mother's going to kill me."

 

dara's smirks. "She was going to kill you anyways."

 

"Not if I snuck back into my house!" I snap. dara rolls her eyes just as some older chick appears. She was short black hair and too many piercings.

 

"why?'all spent the night here?" She looks between us. "I knew I should have woken y'all up." She sighs.

 

"Y'all better get going before the manager arrives. sHe'll only think the worst."

 

"Thanks, Yoona." dara smiles politely and turns back to me.

 

"Let's get out of here." I groan and grab my leather jacket which is laying beside me, pull it on, and slide out of the booth after dara.

 

I try to keep up with her as we exit the restraunt and start down the sidewalk.

 

"What's today?" I ask her. "july 4th." She tells me. She looks both ways and begins to cross the street. I follow.

 

"july 4th!" I exclaim. "I have to go live on talk show! I'm late!"

 

dara reaches the other sidewalk and turns to glare at me. "Well maybe if you wouldn't have gotten drunk, you wouldn't be here right now." She snaps.

 

"I never needed your help in the first place!" I snarl.

 

She rolls her eyes. "I just want to get home."

 

"I'm supposed to be at talk show!" I groan and pull my cellphone out of my pocket. I quickly send my driver a text with the address so he can come pick me up.

 

I can feel dara looking over my shoulder. "How am I supposed to get home?" She adds.

 

I sigh. "A cab?"

 

She frowns. "I have no money on me."

 

"Call someone." I suggest.

 

"No cellphone!" She crosses her arms.

 

"This is your fault. You get me home."

 

I gasp. "How is this my fault?!"

 

"You got drunk!"

 

"You should have left me alone!"

 

"Maybe I should have!" She turns her back to me and taps her toe impatiently.

 

"Fine!" I snap. "I'll have my driver drop you off after he drops me off at the talk show."

 

"Fine!"

 

"Good!"

 

"Good!"

 

Suddenly my limo pulls up, the tinted window rolling down to reveal my driver.

 

"Goodmorning, ms.Lee!" He greets me in his thick Italian accent. "Your mother is worried sick! To talk show, right?"

 

I pry open the back door and let dara slide in first.

 

"Yes, sir." I respond.

 

"I see we have guests." He winks.

 

"She just needs a ride. Drop me off and then take her home." I tell him and roll up the privacy window between us. I look over at dara who's looking around the limo with awe.

 

"This thing is huge." She gapes. I chuckle and prop my legs up on the small leather table in the center of the limo. "It's a limo."

 

"I know what it is!" She snaps. "I've just never been in one."

 

dara bites her bottom lip leans back on the seat, looking at me curiously as if inspecting me.

 

I raise an eyebrow. "What?"

 

She inches closer to me and her hand moves to my hair. "Your hair's messed up." She mutters and combs her fingers through it, fixing it. I don't say anything as she pulls back akwardly. Her cheeks are suddenly rosy. She was blushing.

 

I smile to myself just as my phone begins to vibrate in my pocket. I slide it out and press it to my ear.

 

"Hello?"

 

● DARA ●

 

I stare at the floor, shocked by my own actions. Why did I just do that? her hair was soft... I look over at her.chaerin mumbling into the phone, a smile on her lips.

 

"Yeah. I miss you, Gramps." I hear her say. chaerin face suddenly goes cold, expressionless. "No. We're not...together anymore."

 

I crinkle my forehead. I wondered who she was talking about.

 

"Say hi to minzy for me." sHe smiles again.

 

"Love you. Hang in there, old man. Bye, Grandpa."

 

chaerin hangs up and sighs. sHe buries her face in her hand and doesn't say anything.

 

I slide over to her and place my hand on her shoulder. "Hey. You ok?"

 

He sighs again and looks up at me, her hair once again messed up. "No."

 

"What's wrong?" I ask her, feeling slightly sympathetic.

 

"He was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago." chaerin closes her eyes for a second and then opens them again. "I'm worried about him."

 

"Your grandpa?" chaerin nods. "He's been there for me all my life. I don't want to lose him." Her voice cracks but she's able to control herself, not letting the emotion take over.

 

"I'm sure he's strong. He'll get through this." I tell her.

 

"He's the strongest man I know." sHe mutters. "I never get to see him anymore. I've got so many interviews, concerts, appearances..." sHe exhales.

 

"I'm sick of my life."

 

"Things will get better." I whisper. Suddenly the limo comes to a stop.

 

"Here we are!" The driver calls.

 

"Thanks, uh, sir!"chaerin calls back.

 

"Do you even know his name?" I ask chaerin with a frown.

 

chaerin shrugs. "Is it nessecary?"

 

I purse my lips. "He's your driver. You should at least know his name."

 

chaerin shrugs again and prys open the door. "Bye, uh, dara-ssi." sHe begins to leave but pauses. "And...thank you."

 

I smile. "No problem."

 

sHe smiles back and shuts the limo's door, leaving me alone. I run a hand through my hair and roll down the window between me and the driver.

 

"Address?" He asks me in a rich italtian accent. I give it to him and he drives me home. On the way, I learn his name is Jeff and that all his family lives in Italy, including his son and wife. I feel sympathy towards him. He seems to have a rough life. He was a very nice man. Even offered to give me a ride any place when I needed. Gave me his number and all. Not that I'll be needing a ride anytime soon.

 

"Bye, dara!" Jeff waves as I exit the limo. "It was a pleasure meeting you!"

 

"You too, Jeff." I wave back and head up to my porch. What a day. I run into the house only to be embraced by my Aunt .

 

"Dear, dara! Where have you been?! I was worried sick!" She crys, her brown hair making it's way into my mouth. I gag and pull away from her.

 

"It's ok, Aunt . I'm fine. Nothing happened." I chuckle.

 

bom unnie appears, her blonde hair up in a ponytail. She's still in her pjs.

 

"What the hell, dara?!" She crosses her arms and purses her lips. "I thought something happened to you! I came home thinking that maybe you'd decided to leave only to find you missing! Aunt said it was best to wait instead of calling the police! We were so worried!"

 

I roll my eyes. "Guys, just chill! I'm fine! I can take care of myself!"

 

"Your mother would have been just as worried." Aunt adds.

 

"My mother isn't here!" I snap back. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to my room." I run past them and down the hall, making it to my room and slamming the door.

 

I hated any mention of my mother. It brought back emotions...memories that I want to keep inside.

 

I miss her though. My mom, I mean. I just don't want to talk...or even think about it. I flop down on my bed and snatch my tv remote off my nightstand. I scan the channels until I land on The talk Show.(no need to mention what's the name of that talk show) chaerin should be going on soon. I don't know why I care. I just do.

 

I pull my legs to my chest and watch patiently.

 

the host smiles into the camera. "Now, please welcome The One And Only Baddest Female . Lee Chaerin !"

 

chaerin appears. sHe's wearing a whole different outfit: jeans and an plaid, button-up shirt. sHe flashes the camera a smile and flicks her hair out of her eyes as she takes a seat opposite of the host.

 

"Nice to see you again, CL." the host grins. "You've been all over the news lately. There's a rumor that you and Kwon Yuri have something going on. What do you have to say about that?"

 

chaerin laughs akwardly. "I can assure you there's nothing between Yuri and I."

 

the host smiles back at her , looking unconvinced.

 

"But there was, wasn't there?" thehost winks at the camera.

 

chaerin purses her lips. "Can we talk about something else?"

 

the host chuckles. "Sure, baby CL. Now tell us, any new music coming soon?"

 

"Well," Chaerin flicks her hair again. "I haven't been as inspired lately but hopefully soon."

 

"Can't wait to see what you come up with." the host says. "People are starting to call you Seoul's biggest player. Do you agree?"

 

chaerin smiles innocently and shrugs. Suddenly she crinkles her forehead and reaches into her jean's pocket, pulling out her cellphone. Any sign of light leaves her eyes.

 

"I've got to take this." sHe tells the host as she stands up and disappears, her phone to her ear. the host frowns. "We'll be back with CL after this commercial break."

 

The tv changes to some Cover Girl commercial. I chew on my bottom lip. Why did chaerin stop the show to answer her phone? All I could think about was what the host had said. sHe was being labeled as Seoul's biggest player. Was it true? The signs were all there, weren't they? Players are known to sneak out and party and get drunk at clubs where they hook up with girls. I purse my lips. sHe was just like all the other kpop idols. That's something I realized ever since last night. sHe was no different. Or maybe she was.

 

Maybe she had a heart after all. I had seen a slightly different side of her in the limo. sHe cared about her Grandfather. I roll over and reach down beneath my bed, grabbing my laptop and throwing it onto my lap. I open it up and log in. I quickly go to google and type in "Lee Chaerin player". Many different options pop up. I click the first one. It's an article with a picture of her with a familiar girl. They're kissing, ignoring the camera. I read the article.

 

- Lee Chaerin, the one and only baddest female and most down-to-earth hearttrob, takes the world by surprise. Not long after her break up with longtime girlfiend, Tiffany hwang, CL is seen drunk at clubs. Pictures have been leaked of her kissing unknown girls. People close to her claim that she's suddenly taking advantage of her fame in "spoiled" ways. So what happened to that kind, friendly kid we first met back in 2009? Some people blame tiffany since this all started after their breakup. Others say she was just another victim. People are also saying that fame has finally gotten around to her. What's the truth? When we asked CL, she simply shrugged it off, dodging the subject. What's going on? Will CL go back to being that sweet kid she used to be? Or will she stay the way she is now? Other celebrities who have also changed due to fame have never changed back. Will CL end up in their category? -

 

I slam my laptop shut. What had happened to Chaerin? It couldn't have been the fame...could it? I was convinced of one thing: that she had a heart. Behind that girl who people are calling a player is still the same kind, down-to-earth kid she first was. And I was determined to prove the world that she could change. I don't why...but even though I met her just last night...I cared. About her, I mean. sHe's somehow...special. And I wanted to become that friend he very desperatly needed. The friend who would change her ...for the better.

 

"Welcome back," the host exclaims on my television, startling me. "I'm sorry to announce that Lee Chaerin has some family issues and will not be able to continue on with today's show. But of course we still have Lee Minho -"

 

I shut off the tv, falling back onto my pillow. Family issues? I couldn't help but wonder what was going on. I remember what she'd told me earlier, that her grandfather had cancer. If it has anything to do with that, I can't imagine what chaerin going through.

 

Then I remember. Jeff had given me his number. He probably knows where chaerin lives by heart. I dive for my cellphone which is laying on a corner of my bed and slide a piece of paper with Jeff's number out of my pocket. I stab at the keyboard, typing in his number, and then slam the phone to my ear.

 

"Jeff Hammond, how may I help you?" Jeff's familiar Italian accent answers.

 

"Jeff, it's dara. I know you dropped me off not long ago but I need you to drive me to wherever chaerin is right now."

 

"chaerin happens to be right here in the limo. I'm driving her home." He informs me. "I'll hand him the phone."

 

I sigh with relief. I can hear murmering in the background and suddenly chaerin's voice rings through the phone.

 

"I thought I was done with you." sHe answers coldly.

 

I frown. "So did I. But, chae..." I pause. "Can I take you somewhere?"

 

sHe doesn't say anything at first. "...Where?" sHe says finally.

 

"Somewhere." I glance out my window. The sky is clearly blue. "Please?"

 

I hear her sigh. "If you're only trying to be friend to me because I'm famous-"

 

"chaerin," I frown again. "This has nothing to do with your fame. I had no idea who you even were at first. Trust me?"

 

sHe sighs again. "Fine." sHe snaps. "I'll go anywhere right now." sHe murmers, barely audible.

 

I tug at my bedsheets. "See ya, CL." "Yeah...bye." sHe hangs up. I groan and roll over on my bed, face down on the pillow. How can this kid go from jerk to caring and back to jerk in a matter of hours? Right now, I had one mission:

 

To find a way into her heart.

 

To save the kind, down-to-earth girl inside her.

 

No matter what it takes.