Last Hope

Hazy

                I arrived at the emergency entrance of the Seoul University Hospital with my fiancé in my arms and my ex-fiancé by my side. As we walked in, several nurses and doctors turned in shock seeing the sight of us all together. The last time they had seen me, was when I was leaving for a job transfer to New York City. My job here was becoming more like a high school rather than work place after Baekhyun and I broke up. Everyone loved Baekhyun and never understood how I could leave him for a younger man. And now, here we were all together looking for help.

                A nurse came over with a bed for Sehun to lie in, and Baekhyun walked with her to help bring him to a machine filled with wires. I went towards the front desk and requested to speak with the man who took over my job since I left. Within minutes Dr. Jung was standing next to me observing Sehun’s state. He seemed to be deeply concerned about the pain reoccurring now and instantly sent us up to the floor where all tests were run. They took Sehun into a room leaving both Baekhyun and I alone in the waiting room that was completely empty. It’s not often that there are people waiting for a loved one to finish a CAT scan at this time of night.

“Baekhyun it’s nice to see you,” Jongdae smiled walking up to him. “Wanted to rub it in my face that you’ve found your old lover again?”

“Jongdae get away from me. This isn’t even your floor so go back upstairs. I have nothing to say to you.”

“Really? You have no reason as to why you left today when we were about to buy a home together? Why you decided to break off our engagement and run all the way to Chanyeol?! Start explaining,” Jongdae yelled smacking Baekhyun across the face.

                I jumped up to my feet and swung my fist as hard as I possibly could against Jongdae’s face. Instantly blood began to pour from his nose, and he stood to his feet placing a tissue up to where my fist connected to his face. Baekhyun stood up and pushed me behind him, as if he were protecting me, but I couldn’t see him get hurt again. How long has he been allowing his own fiancé to physically abuse him? Baekhyun grabbed Jongdae by the arm and dragged him to a corner far away from me to the point where I couldn’t even hear them.

                Jongdae threw Baekhyun against a wall and smacked him again before he pointed fingers at him while yelling. The whole time Baek looked away with eyes shut as if he were trying to ignore the man in front of him. After about five minutes of the two going back and forth, Jongdae grabbed a handful of hair and slammed Baekhyun’s head into the wall behind him. Baekhyun pushed him off and removed his engagement ring before throwing it at Jongdae. He came back to me and instantly fell against my chest again. I could hear him crying silently, but I didn’t say a word. My eyes connected with Jongdae’s as I wrapped my arms around Baekhyun and kissed his forehead.

                Before I knew it, I felt a tap on my shoulder. My eyes felt heavy as if I had fallen asleep for a bit. Dr. Jung was standing before me with a somber face signaling me to get up and go with him. The watch on my wrist showed that it was now four in the morning. Baekhyun groaned as he too woke up and followed the doctor. We all went onto an elevator and headed towards an unknown floor without speaking a single word. When the doors opened, the Intensive Care walls greeted us with its horrifyingly sterile smell. We entered a room where Sehun was awake in bed with a face that looked exhausted from both pain and crying. I ran to him, grabbing his hand and kissing him. He smiled at me and waved at Baekhyun. Something was eerily wrong with him.

“What did the results show,” I asked looking at the doctor.

“I have the files here,” Dr. Jung spoke hanging me a manila folder. “I’ve talked to Sehun about it already, so all you have to do is read it. I’ll be outside if you need me.”

                The one thing I knew about Dr. Jung was that he doesn’t handle delivering bad news well. When it comes to telling a patient about anything that relates to them dying, or that they have some horrible disease, he’ll leave a nurse to do that job for him. Since I’m a doctor, he knows that I can read these scans and understand the outcome of whatever shows up. I opened the folder to see the photos from the tests to Sehun’s brain. All the colors indicated that the point of impact of his fall was beginning to bleed now, four weeks after the accident. It looked as if it was a mass amount of blood pouring out at one time. Sehun had a hematoma that would eventually cause a brain hemorrhage within hours of this moment, which only results in one outcome; death. I instantly ran out to Dr. Jung nearly grabbing him by his lab jacket.

“Why isn’t he in surgery right now,” I screamed. “If you let him sit like this long enough he is going to have a or die! Do you realize Sehun is dying right now and you’re not doing a thing about it?!”

“Dr. Park I know that, but we can’t do the surgery here in South Korea. Your hospital used a special kind of procedure to seal up his wound that we cannot undo. If you want to save his life, you need to go back to New York now.”

                It took me every bone in my body to not slam my fist into this man’s face. With a situation like this, he can’t take his precious time delivering news and doing tests. Sehun and I need to get back onto a plane to New York, and that takes fourteen hours in itself to get from one country to the other. We haven’t even been here a day and already we need to go home. I ran back into Sehun’s room and removed all the wires from his body carefully. He looked scared as I frantically dressed him without saying a word. My heart was racing and my throat was dry with fear.

“Chanyeol what are you doing,” Sehun asked. “You’re scaring me.”

“Seriously Yeol this is freaky. What the hell is going on?”

“I need to get him back to New York now! We have no time to waste! Let’s go we need to get to the airport!”

                One day is all it took. I had one day to be in South Korea before I was back on a plane heading home. Except now I understand what home is. Home is where Chanyeol and I moved three years ago to escape all the pain and suffering, yet now it’s begun all over again. I’m in pain and suffering from my injuries weeks after an accident. My doctor back in Seoul told me that the only thing that could have possibly triggered a rupture to my brain would be the altitude of the plane I traveled in from. The attempt at trying to regain my memory may actually be the death of me. If I hadn’t gotten on that plane, I would’ve been clueless to what my life was prior to when I woke up. But since I chose to let Chanyeol take me here, I may have signed my death certificate.

                The entire drive to the airport has been nothing but me screaming in pain and throwing up into a bag, even having slurred speech at times. My brain was actually having mini and it scared Chanyeol to near tears. Baekhyun was in the back seat buying two tickets back to New York while Chanyeol drove like a maniac. He failed to tell my best friend in the car what exactly was wrong with me, and I was too busy vomiting to even explain. Dr. Jung told me that I needed to get into a surgery within the next twenty four hours to remove the blood filling my skull. If nothing was removed, I would die of a brain hemorrhage, cardiac arrest, or a massive . As of right now, it’s been eight hours since the pain started, and we had another fourteen to go before I even landed in Newark, New Jersey. That’s twenty-two hours out of twenty-four. My chances of dying are growing more and more.

                We finally arrived at the airport, and Baekhyun quickly gave us the information to the flight we would be taking, which was leaving in a half hour. Time was not on our side. Before we could run off I hugged Baekhyun tight, completely aware of the fact that this maybe the last time he sees me alive.

“Baekkie thank you for everything,” I smiled holding back my emotions. “You’ve been the greatest friend I could have ever asked for, and I’m going to miss you so much. I love you.”

“Hey,” he spoke hugging me. “Don’t talk to me like you’re dying. I’ll see you soon, okay? I love you too my little nugget. Now both of you hurry up before you miss the flight!”

                Chanyeol lifted me into his arms before taking off to the gate our plane sat waiting. It took about twenty minutes to get through security and to get our tickets in a hard copy, but soon enough I was sitting in a well cushioned seat. Chanyeol looked exhausted and nearly ready to fall over in fear. I let my fingers intertwine with his before I kissed him gently on the lips. He needed to know that I was better, well at least that my memory was back. Leave it to me only remember my life thanks to a brain hemorrhage.

“I think this brain bleeding has been good for me,” I joked trying to lighten the mood.

“What do you mean? You’re literally dying on me,” Chanyeol whispered crying hysterically. “If we don’t get home fast enough I’m going to lose my fiancé! Do you understand how lost I am going to be if I don’t have my Sehun by my side?”

“You’d be fine without me! I’ve done nothing but cause stress in your life… Look if it makes you feel any better, I can remember everything now. So I know that I’ve attempted suicide a million times, I know that you’ve saved me, and I know it’s been nothing but stress since we’ve met.”

“Don’t say things like that. You’ve made me a happy man since the moment we locked eyes. I have watched you grow up to be someone I love with every piece of me. We’re going to get through this, I promise.”

                The whole flight I attempted to hide that pain I was in so I didn’t scare Chanyeol or any of the other passengers for that reason. It felt as if my life was escaping me, like my soul didn’t want to stay in my body and suffer anymore. Rather than staying awake and pretending that everything was okay, I chose to sleep for most of the flight. It’s easier for me to accept the fact that I’m dying than to stay up and fight a battle I know I can never win. This isn’t the way I want to go, but how many times can I knock on deaths door before he finally opens it?