Surprise

Hazy

               The brain holds so much power in the body, that even to this day I am surprised by the most vital organ in existence. Studying it for over ten years means nothing when I feel that shock of old memories. Like how familiar the smell was of the apartment building I was in or the creaking of the stairs I once walked up hundreds of times. How does the brain remember something like that? It felt as if I had never left this apartment despite having not been in it for over three years. The last time I saw this place was when my ex-fiancé broke off our engagement and I drove away with Sehun to never look back.

                Well at least the plan was to never look back, yet here I was standing in the shadows of the past. After walking up some four or five flights of stairs, I stood before the door that once belonged to me. This entire climb up the stairs, I hadn’t rehearsed what I was going to say, and I probably should have. Now I have cold feet and want to run away and hide. Instead, my closed fist knocked carefully against the wooden door, only for it to swing open gently.

                The apartment itself was pretty much empty, with the exception of boxes all taped up with labels describing the contents inside. It appeared that all items that were once inside this apartment were now packed away and ready to be moved somewhere else. In a way my heart sank to my stomach thinking that my ex would move away from a place he loved so dearly. A man’s voice, who was a bit on the louder side, sounded out from in the kitchen which was just around the corner.

“All the boxes that are left can go into the truck now. We need to get going now,” the man said walking around the wall finally revealing his face.

                I expected to see my ex, but instead, I saw a doctor I used to work with in Seoul University Hospital. He was in charge of the pediatric department that was just a floor below where I worked. Often he and I would take coffee breaks together to discuss our day or personal lives. More often than not, we would go to my ex-fiancé’s coffee shop and order something to keep us awake. He seemed so shocked to see me, and also extremely confused. Although it made perfect sense to be at a loss for words because I am supposed to be long gone.

“Doctor Park Chanyeol. I-I’m shocked to see you here… What brings you back to South Korea?”

“Hey there Jongdae,” I said scratching the back of my head. “I came back to South Korea for a few days for something… Um, why are you here in this apartment?”

                The air was extremely awkward between the two of us. Dr. Kim Jongdae was one of the best looking doctors Seoul University had within its walls, and all the ladies would swoon over him. My ex-fiancé would comment all the time how he was the Dr. McSteamy of the hospital, but now he stood in this apartment. It didn’t make sense to me at all, and I had this jealousy begin to grow inside me. Suddenly the apartment door opened again making the heavy air only heavier. Standing before me was Sehun somewhat out of breath in the arms of his best friend, or otherwise known as my ex-fiancé.

“Chanyeol, what the hell are you doing here?”

“Oh, hey Baekhyun. I see you found Sehun downstairs.”

“Yeah no ,” he said rolling his eyes sitting Sehun on a barstool. “Can you tell me why you’ve come to my apartment uninvited?”

“Love you don’t have to be so rude,” Jongdae spoke grabbing onto Baekhyun’s waist very tightly. “I’m sure Chanyeol has a reasonable explanation.”

                I had far too many emotions running through me to create an explanation on why I was back in South Korea. The simple thing to say would be that Sehun got into an accident that caused memory loss, but that sentence wouldn’t get past my lips. Instead, I stared at the couple in front of me, angry and jealous that another doctor I used to work with would steal Baekhyun. Well, he didn’t exactly steal him considering we broke up long ago. Sehun could see that I wasn’t going to speak anytime soon, so he hopped onto his unbroken foot and walked over to me. He leaned onto me for support before taking a deep breath.

“I’m not exactly sure about all the details of my accident,” Sehun sighed looking into Baekhyun’s eyes. “And I’m going to explain to the best of my abilities.”

“I don’t understand what’s going on. Why are you both here,” he said trying to shake off some of Jongdae’s strong grip.

“About four weeks ago or something more, I fell off a rooftop in New York. I think I had fallen a couple hundred feet, but it didn’t kill me. Instead I broke a bunch of bones, and had a severe head injury. When I woke up from my surgery, I thought I was in Seoul University Hospital and not the one in New York.”

“Please don’t tell me he lost his memory, Chanyeol…”

“Unfortunately during surgery, Sehun had heart failure which caused me to jump and slightly touch his brain while closing up the crack in his skull. My guess is that because I bumped it, he has partial memory loss. Sehun doesn’t remember anything from the past four years, but gets these flashbacks of memories when he sees certain things. I thought the two of us coming back would help him remember it all…”

                I could see the look in Baekhyun’s face that he truly felt sorry for me. Baekhyun knows more than anyone what I lost exactly when I decided I would be with Sehun. So for me to lose that all so fast, he must have some sympathy for me. We were all interrupted by a team of moving workers, who collected the remaining boxes. They walked out one by one, leaving the four of us in an unusual silence for several seconds. Jongdae stepped forward, letting go of Baekhyun’s waist roughly and resting a hand onto my shoulder.

“Honestly Chanyeol, I’m sad to hear that this has happened to you both. As much as Baekhyun and I want to continue to talk about it and help, we need to leave. There is closing on the house we’re purchasing together in a half hour and lateness will not be tolerated. Please call us if you want to talk,” Jongdae said coldly handing me a business card.

                Jongdae nearly pushed Sehun and I out the apartment before locking the door and heading down the stairs dragging his boyfriend behind. Baekhyun pulled away violently to stay for a second, and promised we would talk again before he ran to catch up with his partner. Sehun turned to me seeing the pain in my eyes. He hugged me and promised that his memory would come back in time, but I wasn’t so sure about that. I had one last idea that may bring us some hope.

                With a crumpled up business card in my pocket, Sehun and I drove our rental car down a couple blocks towards a playground settled near a river. It was a very calming place listening to all trees blow in the wind while the river sang loudly. We needed to rest up for a moment and talk about what we could try to get his memories back. The park is oddly enough not too far from where his old school should still be located. Sehun went there for almost a year so he could learn how to become an adult. That was no easy task seeing as he had the brain of a seven year old at nineteen years of age due to a fourteen year coma. His brain has been through more than I could ever explain.

                When we arrived at the park, Sehun walked to a bench farthest from the playground and stared out into the waters. I sat next to him, rubbing the sides of his face seeing that he was disappointed that this trip so far was turning out to be pointless. He removed his hood revealing those bleach blonde strands of hair perfectly spiked at the top of his head. The sides of his haircut were my favorite, since it was buzzed down revealing his natural dark brown color. Sehun rested his head against my shoulder showing visible exhaustion before he kissed my neck that was right next to his lips.

“Thank you for trying to help me remember,” he sighed. “I’m sure our past memories will come back to me soon enough. Chanyeol I know I love you and I’m attracted to you, but why is still a blur.”

“I hope you’re not just saying that, because I still love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. You can’t pretend to love a person forever…”

“…I’m not pretending,” Sehun whispered after a long silence.

“If you say so. Look I’m going to get us some coffee from the shop right over there. Stay here please.”

                He shook his head and let his body melt into the form of the bench in hopes of finding comfort. I walked inside the beautiful coffee shop just a couple feet away from the park only to be greeted with the delicious aromas. My order was very simple and what I used to get every morning back in New York. The only thing different was the language I asked for it in. Two coffees, around medium sized, and one had to be pure coffee while the other was light and sweet. Sehun appreciates a chocolate chip muffin along with his drink, so I ordered one of those as well.

                When it came time for me to pay, the man who made my coffees came over with the pastry stuck inside a paper bag and two piping hot drinks. He reread my order before finally looking up at me and stopping in his place. His face was very handsome and had bold features, like prominent eyes and rounded cheeks. At first I wasn’t sure who he was, until I saw a slight scar just above his ear going all the way to the back of his head. I remember saving this man’s life on one of the worst days of my own.

“Dr. Park it’s amazing to see you again,” he bowed. “I never get to thank you enough for all you have done for me.”

“Minseok it’s nice to see you as well. Please don’t thank me. It was only natural for me to help someone who needed it. How have you been?”

“I’ve been great actually,” Minseok smiled giving me back my change. “I heard you left South Korea awhile ago.”

“You’ve heard right. Are you allowed to step outside for a couple minutes? It’d be nice to catch up.”

“Of course I can. I actually own this shop so my employees can handle it.”

                It was unusual walking back to the park with someone I can remember saving perfectly. The fact that I sealed his head from a shot wound wasn’t what was unusual. It was the fact that he was involved in that love triangle or whatever someone would call it, that I was in. I was fighting to be together with Sehun while dating Baekhyun, all while Sehun was fighting to be with his ex-boyfriend Luhan. Minseok ended up swooping in and taking Luhan, which ended up being the best thing for me. When we got to the park, I saw Minseok’s eyes scanning where all the children ran around screaming with laughter. He spotted something that made him smile before we sat next to Sehun. At first, Minseok looked at my fiancé with regret and immediately bowed down to ask for forgiveness.

“Sehun I’d like to apologize right away for the actions I made several years ago.”

“What? I’m sorry I don’t know who you are or what you’re talking about.”

“What do you mean you don’t remember,” he said shocked. “It’s not something you can forget easily.”

“Minseok, Sehun was just in accident where he lost most of his memory. We’re actually back from New York to see if meeting people would help him remember, and clearly it’s not working.”

                While I talked to the man my age about what exactly happened, and how bad the injuries were, I saw Sehun staring at Minseok contently. He was observing the man’s face trying to see if any facial features would spark a memory, but nothing seemed to help. A quick breeze blew the hair off Minseok’s ear revealing the scar I had seen earlier to Sehun. His eyes widened and his mouth parted just enough to show that he was in shock. Yet again his breathing became heavy and his face changed to show fear. I was going to comfort him but a screaming child came running towards us on thick little legs. She was one of the cutest toddlers I had ever seen, maybe three years old at the most.

“Daddy,” she repeated running all wobbly.

“Hello my sunshine,” Minseok smiled grabbing the child into his arms.

                My eyes nearly popped out of my head because they had widened so fast. Minseok was a father to some child, and it had to have happened immediately after we left considering the age of the little girl. Sehun turned to me with his mouth still open from his last memory still horrified about what was in his head. I went to talk to him until I saw another man come running after the child. He was tall and very skinny with beautiful thick brown hair. This was a face I couldn’t forget and he clearly never forgot me. He looked defensive and eyed me up and down before attempting to wipe a smile on his face. The fake smile turned upside once he saw Sehun.

“Luhan,” I spoke getting up and shaking his hand. “Pleasure to see you again.”

 

-------------------

My apologizes on the late update! I have been swamped working two jobs so please understand! Hope this chapter was enjoyable! What do you think about this awkward sandwhich xP