Slipping Away

Hazy

                My hands were shaking uncontrollably the moment I saw the Kimberly Hotel standing before me. The building was tall, but not nearly comparable to your average skyscraper found in the heart of New York City. It had a gold plated archway where several well dressed people stood talking and laughing as if they didn’t have a care in the world. Each woman looked like she had spent hours getting ready while they complemented each other on the gowns they wore. Men were by their sides dressed in black, white, and gray suits with shoes shining against the outdoor lights. Most of the men had a matching black leather bag, which I myself have at home. Inside were emergency items needed just in case someone were to get hurt. Scalpels, bandages, a neck brace, and a breathing pump are just some of the items tucked away in that bag. Hopefully tonight we won’t be in need of that.

                Sehun smiled as he saw all the people dressed to perfection. I’ve come to notice that my boyfriend loves events that require dressing up or meeting people he never had a chance to talk to. I could feel him trying to wiggle his fingers apart from mine and let his hand get free, but I squeezed him tighter so he wouldn’t let go. Sometimes I think he forgets where we live. Every person in this amazing city is so different from one another. We embrace individuality, so in turn, we embrace those who are gay. Our relationship is something to celebrate, and I’m not going to hide it in front of my co-workers.

“Dr. Park it’s great to see you,” a bald headed man spoke slipping away from his wife.

“Dr. Winston it’s nice to see you too,” I replied in English. “This is my boyfriend Sehun.”

“It’s nice to meet you Sehun. I’d show you my wife, but as you can see, she and some of the ladies are off in conversation.”

“She’s very beautiful. You’re a really lucky man. Are we allowed to go inside yet? Sehun has been dying to see the rooftop.”

“Of course, of course! I’d love to join you both on upstairs, but I’m just stuck out here thanks to my wife. Tonight’s festivities are starting soon if you’d like to head up early to get a table.”

                After saying goodbye to one of the first doctors I ever worked with, Sehun and I entered the building. More finely dressed people stood together in groups talking and drinking champagne. Sehun was suddenly becoming more and more nervous the farther we walked into the building. He ripped his hand out from mine and walked along side me until we got to the elevator. I knew he was nervous because it was one of the first times he has ever met my co-workers. When we lived back in South Korea, he was at the hospital everyday for most of the day whether he was in my office, or lying in bed from a suicide attempt. At least there he was able to get to know everyone I worked with. The only problem was no one liked him because they looked at him as a home wrecker, seeing as Baekhyun and I had broken up thanks to my lust for him.

                Before we entered the elevator, a bellhop stopped us and directed us towards the front desk. Apparently, the hospital was generous enough to give each of the doctors attending tonight’s party a private hotel room. I was given a golden key and then sent back onto the elevator. Just so I could calm my growing nerves over asking Sehun’s hand in marriage, I told the man in the elevator to bring us to our room. He brought us to some level not too far from the rooftop, and then directed us towards the room. When I unlocked the door and swung it open gently, a beautiful room shined before us. Sehun ran in smiling checking all the corners and fabrics that were perfectly in place.

“This is awesome Yeollie,” he smiled sitting on the bed. “Can we stay here tonight?”

“We can stay if you want to. Are you alright tonight? You keep tearing our hands apart and standing far from me.”

“Oh, I’m sorry… I just don’t know if everyone is okay with us being together. Not everyone likes seeing two men arm in arm.”

“I don’t care what they think babe. I love you so much and I want everyone to see that. You’re the love of my life.”

                I saw the pink in Sehun’s cheeks brighten as he bit down a smile. I felt the moment to ask his hand in marriage was nearing, and I wasn’t exactly sure how I wanted to do it. My hands lifted my boyfriend to his feet and walked us towards the balcony over looking the city. Since the building wasn’t nearly as tall as the one’s surrounding it, it felt as if we were standing in the middle of flashing lights and a pink sunset. The yellow lights of office buildings and apartments warmed our faces with color. My arms wrapped around Sehun’s waist as he looked out at the city that we lived in. As if it was timed, lights that were wrapped around the balcony’s fence flicked on, creating a subtle romantic light. I took that as my sign from an angel to finally ask Sehun the question I’ve been thinking about for months. My arms unwrapped from his waist, and I got down on one knee, grabbing the velvet box out of my suit pocket.

“What are you doing silly,” Sehun giggled seeing my stance.

“Sehun, I love you so much. We have been through hell and back in the past four years, and still are together right now. Nothing in this world and get me to stop loving you.”

“I love you too Chanyeol.”

“Please don’t ever leave my side,” I said taking his left hand. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to have children and watch them grow up with you. Oh Sehun, will you marry me?”

                The tears in Sehun’s eyes began to form and glisten against the light browns of his eyes. His smile shook as he watched my hands open the velvet box. It revealed a thin silver band that had its entire surface covered in circular diamonds. The lights from the balcony bounced off the diamonds making it look glorious as I slid it onto Sehun’s fingers. His hands were shaking against my own, and he bent down kissing me weakly. All the emotions from the past four years melted out into his kiss and he fell against me.

“Chanyeol, I love you. I love you so much,” he cried. “I will marry you.”

                I lifted Sehun to his feet and kissed him until his tears stopped running. His tongue slipped into my mouth as he pressed me up against the sliding door. As much as I would like to celebrate our love in this room right now, we are still here because of the party probably already started upstairs. After about another five minutes of kissing, Sehun and I cleaned up and headed out the door. In the elevator, I watched him stare at his ring the whole time. His mouth was muttering numbers as if he was counting how many diamonds graced the band on his finger.

                The elevator door opened revealing the most beautiful rooftop in all of New York. Lights that matched the ones on my balcony, shined up above the building on strings. The furniture matched the browns and tans of the floors and walls that sparkled in the city light. A bar was crowded with doctors and nurses all happy and free being away from their hectic work lives. Several nurses and doctors came up to Sehun and I, grabbing us to a free table with champagne all over it. They all began talking to us about how amazing this party was, until one of the women saw Sehun’s ring. She told him how she wished it was her own for the longest time. Everyone seemed to be getting along so well, except the doctor I was talking to.

                Dr. Johnson works in the emergency room, and we never had much of an opportunity to speak on a personal level. Up until now, he seemed to really enjoy my company and getting chances to know me. Once I told the nurses that I had just given Sehun that ring, Dr. Johnson looked disgusted in me and Sehun. He told me he would be back later and was going to check on his wife. There was a lot of emphasis on the word wife. Before I knew it, the time for speeches had arrived. Sehun fixed my suit jacket and tie before I stood close to the stage. He stayed back by the table which was resting up against the fence the stopped anyone from falling over.

                He waved and wished me luck the whole time I waited to give my speech. It took much longer than I had expected to go up there, because who ever was introducing me, made a speech that was far too lengthy. After five minutes, I turned to look at Sehun one more time only to see Dr. Johnson stand next to him and shake his hand.

“Everyone please welcome Dr. Park Chanyeol,” the man over the microphone said.

“Thank you very much,” I replied in the best English I could speak. “I’d really like to say how honored I am to be here tonight. It may have been hard for me at first since I came from South Korea and there was a large language barrier. But we all worked hard together trying to help me fit in as much as possible. No matter what, I wanted to prove to you all that I am a great doctor and I take my work very seriously. This promotion will only make my drive to be the best surgeon stronger, and I won’t let anyone down.”

                During my speech I was so focused on pronouncing each word as clear as I possibly could. After awhile my eyes kept flickering over to Sehun who was clearly in a misunderstanding with Dr. Johnson. They were talking back and forth as the doctor kept pointing his finger at my fiancé who was shaking his head in disagreement. My worry was clearly affecting my speech because I kept slowing down and losing my train of thought. To everyone else it looked like my language barrier was getting in the way yet again, but it was only my worry for Sehun. Once I saw Dr. Johnson pushing Sehun’s chest hard towards the fence, I had lost any care I had left over the speech in front of me. Just as Sehun went to push the man back, one powerful shove is all it took for Sehun to lose his balance and crash against the fence. His back curved around the fence and his feet flew up into the air. Everything went in slow motion as I watched the fear on Sehun’s face as his body flipped over the fence.

“Sehun,” I screamed seeing my fiancé fall past the only protection he had from the concrete stories below.

                Everyone turned in fear, and it felt as if my body had turned to noodles as I darted towards the fence Sehun just fell over. Dr. Johnson was out of sight and probably fleeing the scene. If my fiancé really did fall over this fence, then there was no way he was going to live such a drastic fall. While running towards the edge, I could here the impact of his body along with a scream of pain. With fear consuming every inch of me, I looked over to see Sehun crashed against a balcony some hundred feet below me. Thank god something had stopped his body from meeting with the sidewalk much farther down. There was blood pouring from his head and his right leg was completely twisted in the opposite direction. All the doctors and their spouses screamed in horror, but I was the only one who would do anything in my expensive suit. Hearing Sehun’s screams of pain, I grabbed someone’s emergency leather bag and ran to the stairs to find which balcony he laid on.

                I knew it was on the East side of the hotel, and I guessed two wrong floors before I figured out where he was lying. It was easy to find because there was a couple screaming in their hall that someone had fallen onto their balcony. Without even looking at their faces, I ran into their room and ripped open the sliding door. Sehun’s blood was beginning to pour off the sides of the balcony while his body shook in pain. His voice was very coarse from screaming so loudly, and at this point he had no voice left to give to express the pain he was feeling. He was wide awake and looking at me with tears quickly pouring out of those brown eyes. The right side of Sehun’s face was completely covered in open flesh and blood since that was where he landed. I straightened his neck with the brace in the emergency bag with tears falling from my eyes.

“C-Chanyeol,” Sehun groaned with wide crying eyes. “I-It…hurts…”

“I know baby, I know. Stay with me okay? Keep talking to me.”

“Don’t…let…me die…”

                With that he closed his eyes, and let his bleeding head fall back. His pale blonde hair was now turning red while the hand he extended towards me went limp. I could now get a good look at his injuries and saw that it was more than just a broken neck and leg. Sehun had broken his collar bones, a couple ribs, and his arm as well. The pain his body is feeling probably knocked him out, but if he doesn’t get to a hospital soon, he will die. Other doctors came running behind me pulling me away from my fiancé since I was too distraught to work on him, or that’s what they thought. Before I knew it, I was in an ambulance with Dr. Winston on the way to our hospital. I can’t lose Sehun… Not like this…

 

 

---------

To my readers who I have read this prior to this update (July 6th, 2014) I changed the intro to Hazy. I thought I should let you all know because it's going to give you some in sight on what to expect. Please enjoy <3