Chapter 18

♚┇⊰ ゚《TWO SECONDS》 ▫ ▪

CHAPTER 18
♚ if you never try, you'll never know 
▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

I should probably start writing my will now. I’ll give my inheritance to Dongjin, of course. Maybe Yooyoung could have my notes and book collection – heaven knows she needs it. Jason could have my newspaper articles collection… Hm, with regards to my body, would I rather be buried or cremated? I certainly don’t want my body become infested with maggots as the years go by, but I do wish to remain whole-

There was another knock on the bathroom stall door.

I gulped and stared at the metal door, not willing – too scared – to stand up and open it. My eyes quickly shot down when I saw the guy bend down. Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no. Was he going to peer at me and say ‘I found you~’ in a creepy voice or-

But instead I saw a hand outstretch itself from the gap beneath the door, holding up a roll of tissue paper.

… Was he going to choke me with tissue paper?

“Hey, man. Since you’re using a cubicle, I’m guessing you’re taking a dump, right? I checked that one out earlier. There’s no tissue paper.”

I turned to my side and saw the empty roll of tissue paper. I remained completely quiet and strained my ears.

I heard the faint sound of classical music.

The man before me was using earphones, considerably of loud volume since I could hear it from my position. He heard nothing of what I said. With that knowledge, I let out a sigh of relief.

I held my hand out and took hold of the offered item. “Thanks… man,” I said in my deepest sounding voice.

“No problem. I know the feeling.” Then I heard his footsteps fade and the door to the bathroom open and close.

I let out a sigh of relief and replaced the empty roll with the full roll of tissue paper. I reached for my phone, that I had unknowingly hung up, and called my two accomplices again.

“Jinah! What happened?! Are you alright?!” I heard Aron’s frantic voice.

“Nothing happened,” I answered.

“Then why’d you hang up?! We were worried something happened to you!” I cringed at Aron’s yells and pulled my phone slightly away. “We’re running over to you-“

My eyes widened and I quickly stood up. “Who’s faster? You or Ren?”

I called both of them, but Ren hadn’t picked up.

“Ren-“

I left the bathroom in a hurry, only to stop short when someone’s back was in my way. I gulped and looked down, noting that his shoes were the ones from earlier. I peered to his side and saw Ren standing across him, eyes narrowed and arms crossed.

My feet refused to move as I stared at Ren’s expression, completely unfamiliar with it. It didn’t have the usual devious or joking smile he always had, or even the expression of superiority and power whenever he was in student council mode.

His impression was as threatening and ominous as the guy he was facing off.

The man in front of me removed one of his earphones. “Still as pretty as usual, huh?”

Ren rose an eyebrow, a small smirk on his lips. “What? Are you falling for me?”

I noticed how people had stopped what they were doing and had turned to face the two. They was just talking, but the atmosphere was still incredibly tense. Anyone could tell something was going to happen.

The one from another school took a step forward, and Ren quickly did the same. “We took care of your friends. You’re the only one left,” Ren quickly said.

The guy laughed. “I’m worth ten of them and you know it.”

“And I’m worth all of you and you know it,” Ren shot back.

He was bluffing. He had to be. That big-headed…

His opponent laughed. “I see going to a private school hasn’t humbled you down at all.”

Ren tilted his chin up, giving the appearance of looking down on the taller guy. His gaze was chilling and he suddenly felt very… frightening. “Leave,” he ordered, his tone final.

I felt a chill run through my spine. It was him that I felt more cautious of now than his enemy.

But the guy just laughed again. “Geez… shooing away guests from your festival just because you dislike them, not a very accommodating school, huh?” Ren made no reply. The man merely placed his earphone back in. “Aah… I get it, I get it... Well, I’m sure going to get an earful from her…” he mumbled as he left.

When he was out of sight, the onlookers began muttering and resumed what they were doing. I wonder what kind of rumors this would bring about. I turned to Ren-

And almost fell back when he tackled me with a hug.

The mutterings increased in volume. Nice one, Ren.

“Are you alright? He didn’t do anything, did he?” he asked in a hurry. His calm front disappeared and I could easily hear the panic in his voice. This was the Ren I was more familiar with.

“I’m fine! He was a… nice guy,” I said, patting him on the back in hopes of reassuring him.

“He isn’t ni-… I’m nicer!”

“So that guy is nice?!”

In reply, he just hugged me tighter.

I sighed. “I said I’m fine-“

“I bet you were terrified,” he whispered.

I could hear the smirk on his lips and I did not like it one bit. “… Which is a perfectly normal reaction. We’re not all great fighters like you that can order people around with a mere ‘leave’.”

“… Since when have you reacted normally?”

“Are you implying that I’m abnormal?” I said, not liking how he was making fun of and insulting me… while hugging me at the same time. Either make me angry or happy – don’t do both! I suddenly tensed when I felt his breath on the crook of my neck. “That’s enough hugging-“

A cough was heard. “U-Um… excuse me… but, people need to use the bathroom,” a familiar voice said.

I quickly pushed Ren away and glared at the one who had spoken. “As slow as ever, I see.”

Aron looked affronted at my insult. “I was a lot farther than him!”

Ren just laughed. “He’s the oldest in our group, Jinah. It’s natural that he isn’t as quick.”

Aron glared at us… before grinning and clapping his hands. What is he doing-? “Oh my God! Was that Ray? He still can’t get over you, Jin?! Seems you still got some stiff competition, huh, Ren?!” he said in a very loud voice. “But of course I bet Jin will always choose you, right? How sweet~!”

I looked around and noticed that many girls were talking to each other in hushed whispers, smiling madly.

I glared at Aron. “Shut. Up.”

Ren smiled and placed an arm over my shoulder. “I don’t mind!”

“I don’t want to be shipped with you as a guy,” I muttered, disgruntled.

His smile grew wider. “You’d rather be shipped with me as a girl then?”

Aron suddenly frowned. “… I’m out before I turn third wheel.”

“You were a third wheel the moment you joined us.”


“My grass needs cutting!”

Ren’s hold on my arm was firm and he didn’t look troubled in the slightest at my desperate attempts at escape. “Can’t your grass wait?”

“I want to go home. I’ve done way more than what I had planned for the school festival!”

“But I have something in plan for you! You must see it!” he said, dragging me back towards the school building. Even if I was forcing my feet to go in the opposite direction, he still led me the other way easily. He was just incredibly strong, right? It isn’t because I’m pathetically weak, right?...

“You said that ‘must-see’ will be at eight! That’s in four hours! What are we going to do for four hours-?”

“Ren!” He stopped pulling me and turned to the third-year that addressed him. “We really need some help. Our supplies went low and…” as he began explaining his class’ situation, I quickly retracted my hand when Ren began to intently listen.

Ren’s eyes widened and he focused his attention back on me. “Wait-!”

“Student council duty calls,” I said, trying to lower my voice in the presence of the upperclassman.

Ren glanced at the third-year then back at me, unsure of what to do.

The senior scratched the back of his neck and sighed. “I’m really sorry for interrupting you on your date, secretary. But… we really need help-“

“And help I will give. It’s nothing to apologize over,” Ren answered him, but was still facing me.

I smirked. Thank you, Ren’s responsible side-

He suddenly gripped the front of his uniform and stared at me, eyes glazing.

Oh no.

“Please stay,” he whispered.

“… Fine! I will!” I said, throwing up my hands in defeat. “Just call me when you’re done.” Ren’s pleaful and innocent gaze was gone in an instant and was replaced with a triumphant look. He then left, following after the senior.

Was he not tired of always pulling his puppy look on me?!

… Was I not tired of always falling for it?!


“… And you’re here, why?”

“You should be glad I’m in your company.”

Aron stared at me unenthusiastically. “I’m thrilled beyond belief.”

I hugged my knees and remained seated behind the box, staring at the dimly lit pathway in their classroom. I was inside their haunted house. After paying the initial entrance fee, I had no plans on coming out anytime soon.

“This is the last place Lime would ever go to,” I answered.

Last? This is her class’ booth! Heck, I’m still filling in for her shift!”

“You honestly think she’d come and do her job?”

“… Right…” Aron sat down next to me and also hugged his knees. He looked even more pitiful with that gore mask on his face.

There were no customers, so we stayed in silence for several minutes. His shoulders were brushing against mine and I could feel the slight shift whenever he breathed.

I smiled slightly, enjoying the quiet and calm company. Being with Ren earlier was great, but absolutely draining. He kept making me feel all flurries of emotions and while I loved being with him… well…

I nudged my knee towards Aron’s.

… My friends weren’t so bad either. I wonder what Jason and Yooyoung were doing.

“Hm?” he hummed. I could hear the drowsiness in his voice.

“You’re on the job,” I merely said. “Why are you sleeping?”

“Took care of some last minute council stuff last night,” he said, yawning. “Not to mention I’m drained from all that running around and-“ I suddenly tensed. He noticed. “… What happened?”

When he had run to Ren and I earlier, he was wearing his mask.

Why did I only notice now?

I reached towards his mask to remove it, but he took hold of my wrist easily. “I’m on the job,” he said, repeating my words. “Don’t go removing my costume!” he said with a laugh.

“You got hit,” I said. It wasn’t a question. I knew he got hurt. “In the face, didn’t you? Where else?” I said, using my other hand to reach for his chest and abdomen.

He quickly took hold of my other wrist with his other free hand. “What are you talking about? I didn’t get hit!”

I stared at him. My eyes met contact with his that were hidden by a see-through black cloth of his mask.

“… Only in the face, really! Those guys were mostly fodder – don’t underestimate me!”

“Then why are you keeping me from feeling you?” I said, wiggling my fingers towards his body trunk area.

His grip on my wrist tightened. “I bet you’re just trying to ually harass me!” he said, amusement in his voice.

I snickered at his assumption.

“… That sounded so mocking.”

“I’m glad you caught on,” I said, relaxing my arms. He understood my action and finally let go of my wrists. I went back to leaning against the wall. “You put ice, right?”

“For around fifteen minutes. That’s long enough,” he said, also leaning back and relaxing again. “… Ren didn’t get hit, I bet.” I nodded at his words. I would’ve noticed if he was acting off. “The guy has the weakest hit among us all, but he’s the quickest at dodging.”

I nodded at his description. I had a feeling he was the most agile among them.

After that, we lapsed into silence again. He would occasionally stand up and do his job when customers came in, but other than that, we continued to be in each other’s company in complete silence.

Until he said, “Those last two customers weren’t a couple. Close to becoming one, but not yet there.”

I tilted my head towards him and laughed. “What? They’re exes. Their touch with each other was too familiar. Did you see how the guy reached for the hand behind her back? That isn’t a common mannerism, he knows where she puts her hand – and knows where to reach for it appropriately.”

“What? He can’t know that if they were just friends?” Aron shot back, not believing my explanation. “There wasn’t any awkward air between them, how could they have been exes?”

“… Because I know them. They’re Kim Taeyung and Lee Soowin of 2-D-“

“That’s cheating!”

“Don’t be such a sore loser. You’re the one in the council – you should know about your student body more than me!”

“But what you just said was second-hand gossip!”

“It’s first-hand gossip, thank you very much!”

“Still gossip!”


“… Isn’t he Ren’s boyfriend?”

“Maybe they have a going on? I hear some gay marriage happened between three guys in Thailand.”

“… Whoah… But, kind of doubt it. Aron has a thing for that 2-A girl, right?… Should we wake them up?”

“Nah, even I could tell how spent Aron’s been. Let’s start cleaning up at the other side first.”

As their footsteps faded away, I opened my eyes, staring at the now lit up classroom. I felt the weight on my shoulder, but made no move to shift my position.

We spent the first two hours doing our game of ‘guess the customer’s life story’, to which I had won by a landslide of five points. He was considerably slow, owing to his none too alert and awake self. When business was getting slow as evening was approaching, Aron had begun to doze off.

His head was resting on my shoulder as he slept.

I had debated on shrugging him off, but my ‘reformed’ nice person self won out and let him doze.

But as I heard more people on the other side of the classroom begin packing up, I moved my shoulder a bit. The two guys from earlier saw us by chance, I don’t want more rumors to spread about the homouality of both Ren and Aron... But more for Ren.

Aron grunted at the movement… before wincing at the strain on his neck as he moved his head away. “Ow, ow, ow…”

“You’re the one who slept in such an uncomfortable position,” I said, moving my shoulder around to get the feeling back in.

“I’m surprised you let me,” he said. “… Thanks,” he added, removing the mask on his lap and placing it beside him as he stood up and stretched.

“Is it something to thank me for?” I asked, standing as well.

He turned to me… I frowned slightly when I saw the bruise on his cheek. He was no longer wearing his mask and the classroom’s lights were now . “Well… you aren’t the kind to grant things to others at your expense.”

I opened my mouth to tell him off, but stopped…

He was right.

“Yeah, I wouldn’t.”

“But you did for me-“

“Because you’re my friend.”

His grin fell and his eyes grew wide in shock.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Fix your expression, will you?”

“I’m just… surprised. Happy… but really surprised,” he said, beaming at me again. I just shrugged in reply, not wanting to say anything that’d earn another insulting reaction. “… Jinah,” he suddenly said.

I pulled out my phone when it suddenly vibrated. I saw Ren’s name on the screen. “Hold on,” I said before placing the phone to my ear.

“It’s seven in the evening!” Ren greeted.

“… Yes, I doubt my time varies from yours.”

“I was hoping to go around the festival with you-“

“We did. Earlier-“

“And enjoy!” I could hear the pout in his voice. I could almost imagine him stomping the ground petulantly. “Head to our classroom. You’re still here, right?”

“I’ll head there now,” I said, hanging up and turning to Aron. “What were you going to say?” I asked.

Aron stared at me for a moment… I found his unreadable expression foreign. I could usually always tell what he was thinking, what was different now? “Another time,” he said, smiling all of a sudden.

“That was incredibly suspicious.”

“Go~! Your boyfriend’s waiting for you!”

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀

END CHAPTER 18
 if you never try, you'll never know 

▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀

PREVIEW

Chapter 19

 I  U 


A/N... So I misjudged how much I'd type for this chapter, but the real fluff fluff romantic cheesy moment is definitely in the next chap! Promise! Aron just really needed some lovin' haha~ Feel free to comment below and susbscribe if you haven't!