Chapter 11

♚┇⊰ ゚《TWO SECONDS》 ▫ ▪

CHAPTER 11
♚ the more pure the chocolate, the more bitter it tastes 
▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

“Cookies, a cake, brownies, truffles, or just plain chocolate?”

Yooyoung sniffed.

I stared at her. “What?”

“I feel like a proud mom, hearing you talk about making Valentine’s day chocolate… Oh~! How time flies! It was as if it was only yesterday you were complaining about getting stuff on Ren wrong! But now…!” she blew into her handkerchief. “You children grow up so fast!”

Figuring she was a lost hope, I turned to Jason. “What about you? You got loads of gifts last Valentine’s day. What type of chocolate was your favorite?”

“I didn’t really have a favorite ‘type’. I liked what tasted the best,” he said with a shrug.

“What ‘best’? Be more specific, I’m competing with several other girls here!”

“Just know that you already beat more than half of them, since you’re actually going to make it,” Yooyoung said. “Homemade chocolate is a pretty serious business… Have you ever even made chocolate?”

“No. I don’t like nor make sweets,” I said, going back to the magazine filled with Valentine’s day ideas. “But I’m a master in the kitchen – it won’t be that hard.”


“Where the hell are your taste buds?” Yooyoung said with a frown. “This tastes so sweet I think I got diabetes on the first bite!”

I took a bite of the chocolate. “… I thought it was supposed to be this sweet?”

“Tone it down!”

I had settled for making plain chocolates. Seeing as how I wasn’t as good with sweet things as I thought I’d be, I went for the quickest and easiest. Making it edible and look pretty was a cinch, but the ‘sweetness’ level was hard to get.

I began mixing the ingredients in the bowl again. “This was harder than I thought it’d be…” I mused aloud.

“Master of the kitchen, she said,” Yooyoung muttered.

I glared at her. “Get out of my house.”

“Psh, you need me here. Your poor brother got a stomach ache from your first sugar-filled chocolate,” she said, flipping through my cookbook.

I stared at her for a moment. “I think he…”

She looked up at me. “He?”

“Dongjin’s a good kid, huh?”

“Huh? Uh, yeah. He’s a total gentleman. I bet the kid’s going to get loads of chocolate tomorrow!” Yooyoung said with a laugh.

I was about to ask her to give my brother some, but he’d probably get mad at me for dropping ‘hints’ in front of his crush. I saw her snort at something she found funny in the book… very unfeminine, she was.

How did my brother even like her?

“Noona!... I don’t like your face,” Dongjin suddenly said when he appeared in the kitchen.

I glared at him. “I make your food, you know? Don’t go insulting me so bluntly.”

“… You were thinking about something I don’t want you to think about.”

“Whoah~ Sibling telepathy!” Yooyoung said, amused. Dongjin grinned at her.

I ignored them and resumed my cooking.


“… Perfect!” the two chorused, giving me two thumbs up.

I took a bite of my latest chocolate. “… It doesn’t taste sweet at all,” I told them.

“Trust me, it’s perfect!” Yooyoung said, about to grab another.

I quickly swatted her hand away. “Then if it’s perfect, don’t finish it all!”

I had cooked a total of three batches of chocolate, the first two rejected because of being too sweet. They were all perfectly shaped into either hearts or perfect spheres. The hearts were obviously for Ren, and the circular ones would be for my friendship chocolate. I usually didn’t give any kind of chocolate during Valentine’s, but I figured – if I was going to make some, why not make a whole lot?

“Those are chocolates filled with your feelings for Ren!” Yooyoung suddenly said with a giggle. “Tastes pretty good!”

I put a few pieces of the circular chocolate into two plastic bags and handed them to my female friend and younger brother. “Advanced,” I merely said.

They looked at me in awe.

“You should fall in love more often, noona.”

“I love the things Ren makes you do, Jinah.”

“Stop acting so astonished or I’ll take them back.”


“… For me?” Jason said, eyes wide and smile huge. “Thanks, Jinah! I’m sure these’ll get me huge points on the exam later!”

It was finally Valentine’s day, which was on the last day of our exam week, and I had several plastics tied with red ribbons in my bag – all filled with the chocolates I had made yesterday. There was a small box specifically for Ren.

I smiled at Jason. “No problem. See, Yooyoung? This is the proper response when given chocolate!”

She ignored me and nudged Jason in the side with her elbow. “Can I have some-“

“No way. They’re Jinah’s homemade chocolate. I’m not sharing,” he said with a laugh. “I’m sure they taste great!”

“Of course, they do!”

“See? I’m sure her confidence is as great as her chocolate!”

“You are indeed a great friend!”

Yooyoung rolled her eyes. “If he’s so great, why didn’t you ask him to be your test-taster?”

“Because I didn’t want him to suffer through all my failed attempts-“

“So you didn’t mind if I suffered?!”

Jason went in between us put his arms around both our shoulders. “Happy Valentine’s day!”

“You think you’re some ladies’ man now, huh?”

“Don’t touch me for too long. People might get ideas.”

“I love you girls too!”


Aron pulled me into a hug.

“I’ve totally fallen for you!”

I pushed him away, not used to skinship from anyone besides those in my immediate circle of friends. I did like his words though. “Yes, well, everyone does at some point,” I said, nodding in agreement.

He just laughed and tugged at the ribbon on his bag of chocolates. “Thanks, Jinah! I honestly didn’t think you’d give me chocolates!”

“Of course I would. These are chocolates to poison you. I even planned on getting flowers for your grave.”

“I’ll be the one giving you flowers on White day – so it’s best you don’t!” he still said, happily.

“Did you not hear what I said properly?”

His eyes widened when he took a bite of the chocolate. “They taste really good!”

I glared at him. “Why are you so surprised at that? Did you doubt my skills?”

Aron laughed again and pulled me into a hug again. “Thanks!”

I sighed in exasperation. “What did I say about hugging me so much?!”

He pulled away and grinned widely at me. “You don’t like it?”

“… I never said that.”


“Here, Mr. Seoh. I’m sure you’ve been waiting for these, huh?” I said, handing him a small bag of the chocolates.

Mr. Seoh looked down at the bag, then back at me with a raised brow. “… These aren’t poisoned are they?”

Yooyoung was by my side. She glanced at it as well. “… You’re really gonna give Mr. Seoh friendship chocolate? Really?”

“Yeah, why not? I owe him,” I said.

He accepted the chocolate. “Thanks then, Ms. Park… exactly what do you owe me though?” he asked.

“For giving me detention.”

Yooyoung laughed and patted me on the back. “You sly… I’ll meet you at the cafeteria,” she said before leaving me behind. “Good day, Mr. Seoh!”

Mr. Seoh nodded at her in dismissal before focusing on me again. “Detention?”

“Yeah, back at November. The whole one month detention thing for talking back to you,” I clarified.

“Ah, yes, I remember. I’m not sure why you would be thankful for that though… but if you are, you owe the student council some thanks then,” he said with a smile.

I frowned. “Why?”

“They were the ones who suggested giving you detention to me should you talk back again.”

… What?


“Yes~! Last exams are over!” Yooyoung said, stretching her back. “Time to properly enjoy Valentine’s day! How about we go and eat some of Jason’s chocolate-… Jinah?”

I looked down at the box of chocolates in my hand.

“Those are Ren’s, right…? Why haven’t you given them yet? The guy’s just seated at the back! Don’t tell me you’re scared-“

“I’m not scared,” I said.

Yooyoung frowned. “… What happened? You looked a bit out of it after your talk with Mr. Seoh. Did the guy scold you again?”

“… Lime… she’s in section C, right?” I asked.

“Yeah-“

“You go on ahead,” I said, grabbing my bag and headed for the exit.

“Hey-Wait! Jinah!”

I ignored her and quickened my pace to the 2-C’s classroom. I looked in, trying to find the familiar mop of green hair among the students that were standing and ready to leave the school. Catching sight of it, I quickly went over to her.

“Lime,” I said in greeting.

The former ruler of the school glanced at me.  During our first year, she was the queen of the school. Back then, family power determined your status in school. The children of influential people were the leaders, while those of lower class were constantly ordered around. All of that changed though when the Nu’est party won the elections and reformed the school this second year.

They had gotten control of the school and easily toppled her reign. Her followers had been dealt with and her word was no longer absolute… Sometimes, I tend to wonder when she’ll make her comeback. Lime wasn’t the kind to go down so easily.

Her still green hair was chopped short, and her uniform was still against the rules. Despite the ruling of the student council, they couldn’t correct her entirely. While she may not have as much power in the school, she was still the daughter of the principal.

“Oh… Jinah? What is it?” she asked, her voice velvety and smooth. A mere question from her sounded like an order. It had been a while since I last spoke with her.

“I need to ask you about something.”


“Chocolate? For me?” she asked in disbelief, but accepted it anyway. “The last time we talked was when… during the first few weeks of second year?”

We were outside of the building, on its east side. She was leaning on the wall, regarding me cautiously.

“They were excess, just in case,” I merely said.

Lime stared blankly at me. “I appreciate our friendship.”

Back when she was still the ruler of the school, I had a… ‘deal’ with her of sorts. I planned some of her pranks and helped out in various ‘plans’ and she granted me protection. It was only a relationship of business, but even I could appreciate her leadership among the delinquents.

… She was a far cry from JR though, but I decided not to say that aloud.

“What is it you need? You wouldn’t have come to me otherwise… or paid me with pretty good chocolate,” she said, after popping one into .

 “… Your opinion on the council would be the most unbiased I’ll hear. So I want to hear it,” I said.

“What unbiased? I hate those little mother ers,” she said, her eyes setting into a harsh glare. Hearing her curse didn’t match her elite sounding tone of voice.

“Go on.”

She scoffed. “Fine. They’re a pale imitation of justice.”

“… Imitation?” I repeated.

“Yes… don’t tell me you believe their front of being all ‘nice’ and ‘virtuous’? You don’t beat me and my power fair and square – you resort to tricks, to power as well. That’s what they did. That’s why they’re ruling my school.” Lime sighed, recalling something. “And they’ve even gone around reforming my former followers. Daeho, Eun Mi, Ginjin… they’re all stuck being good students lest they get punished by the council like before.”

She placed another chocolate in before regarding me with a blank stare. “… Aren’t they reforming you too?”

I didn’t respond to her goading.

Lime noticed and smirked. “You got detention, right? So that girly secretary guy hung out with you. Did you change? Probably not... they only reform the violent ones in detention. Ugh, I swear, those were the worst weeks of our lives. I can’t believe you’re still hanging out with the council though,” she said with a frown. “I know they’re forcing themselves on you, but you’re lasting pretty long. I’m impressed.”

“Forcing themselves…?” I asked.

She turned to me with wide eyes and then she suddenly laughed. Her laugh sounded so mocking. “Don’t tell me you have no idea what’s going on?! I thought you were some genius or something?” She tried to stifle her laugh so she could sound more coherent.

I did not find it at all amusing.

“Think, Jinah. You’re smart. For a bunch of problem students, a good scolding from a teacher or a threat from the council would fix them up, but you’re different. You’re as bad as us in being stubborn and proud, so you got detention. But unlike delinquents, they couldn’t change you like they did us. You’re a different breed of problem student… which is probably why your reform gig lasted even beyond detention.”

Lime was waiting for a reaction, but I didn’t give her any… She deemed that was good enough though and continued.

“... You’re not violent, so they can’t exactly threaten you. But you’re way more proud than those other sissy rule breakers,” she added. “So those guys handled you differently... They sicked the girly dude on you, right? He can be pretty scary when mad... so I was surprised when I see him laughing with you like you were close. They did a whole different approach with you.”

“They became my friend,” I muttered.

“Bingo~” Lime said in a singsong voice. “You’re now a good kid. All hail Nu’est! Making sure gangsters are kept in line and changing problem students to model students! Woo~!” She let out a deep breath, and narrowed her eyes at me. “Little ers those guys are, huh?”

… A part of me almost spoke up in agreement.

She leaned back on the wall, giving me a blank look. “Them acting all friendly with you may seem normal, since it wasn’t exactly obvious. From detention buddies to school buddies... who would’ve thought it was all a ruse, huh? I gotta applaud them on this plan. Even you, the queen of planning and discovering hidden motives, hadn’t a clue.”


“You’re coming to school on time. You’re doing your schoolwork. You’re even helping the council out… Who are you?”

“Oh, really? Prove it then. It’s only been two weeks into the school term. You still have time to bring up your grades… if you can.”

“Ren said if I can’t show a cute side of me by today, I have to start doing my assignments for those subjects. He had initially wanted all subjects, but I managed to bargain.”

“I’m getting scolded by everyone now. First the teachers, then JR, now you? Is this a sign to start fixing my personality or something?”

“There would be no point if I were to allow you to be late again… So, no. Come on time tomorrow.”

“You’re the only one that was able to control my arrogance – and I really, really needed that. Thanks.”

“We’re not saying you were mean or anything before! I mean, that’s just how you are… who you were… Keep it up with the boyfriend, Park!”
“What boyfriend?”
“Well, your friends at the moment certainly didn’t cause a change in behavior, so we thought you got a boyfriend or something...”

“Ren-oppa is threatening you with a week of detention if you hit eighty lates, right?”

“That’s the student council for you! Always fixing problem students!”


She glanced at me briefly before looking forward and chuckling.

“... No... You did know, didn’t you? You were just too high on being friends with that two-faced to believe it,” she said with a smile on her lips. “I’m sure you loved the attention Ren was giving you, huh?”

“Why should I believe you?” I asked.

“You called me out here for a reason, didn’t you?” Lime asked. “You knew- heck, it seemed like you knew all along. But you played along, but now… You just want someone to affirm your fears. And I just did.”

She took a step forward and smiled.

“Ren never planned on becoming your friend. It was all just a mission, it was his job. You coming to school on time?”

Yes.

“You doing your schoolwork now?”

Yes.

“You no longer causing trouble?”

Yes.

I didn’t reply, but she already knew the answers anyway. “Dear girl, Ren’s reformed you – which was his goal all along!”

I stared at the ground.

“That’s why he became my friend.”

“Can you even call it friendship if it was forced?”

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀

END CHAPTER 11
 the more pure the chocolate, the more bitter it tastes 

▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀

PREVIEW

Chapter 12

I liked him because of such a stupid reason.


A/N:

Dramaaaaaa! And you thought I’d finally have Ren confess, huh? Sorry for disappointing you :3 And I know the preview can hardly be called a preview, haha~ Don't forget to comment and subsribe if you haven't.