Chapter 9

♚┇⊰ ゚《TWO SECONDS》 ▫ ▪

CHAPTER 9
they told me that to make him fall in love - i had to make him laugh  
▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

“Reindeer!”

“Bingo!”

“Damn it! I haven’t gotten a single point yet!”

“… Why is one of your Christmas words ‘Precipitation’?”

“Where do you think snow comes from?”

The main program was already mostly done, the dinner was over, and at the moment, it was the free time of the party itself. The buffet tables were littered with light foods and snacks, some students were just hanging out and loitering, but the main activities were the various different events that were sectioned into different areas of the auditorium. Each was headed by either a student council member or a president of a specific club. They were games, music gigs, and other leisure activities.

I was in the Bingo area that was headed by the vice-president of the council, Baekho. He handed a small gift to the winner that had shouted earlier. “Only three prizes left!” he announced.

I looked down at my card that had yet a single stamp. We were told to write down words that we automatically associate with Christmas in the blanks provided. I had written down words like ‘Hosiery’, ‘Sales’, and ‘Fat-guys-in-red’. None of them were getting called.

“Presents!”

“Bingo!”

Another prize gone! “Why such elementary school terms?” I said, irritated. A few of the students around me glanced at me in annoyance at my insult on their intelligence. I didn’t care.

Jason laughed and just back down at my card. “No… I’d say those were all normal terms.”

“I give up,” I muttered as I bagged the card. “You still sticking around?”

“Just need one more. I’ll look for you after I win!” he said with a grin.

I nodded and waved. I wandered aimlessly around the auditorium for a moment, trying to find something that could catch my interest. The literature club president was heading some event centering around A Christmas Carol, Aron and Minhyun were heading some group games, the cooking club president had a small table with gingerbread cookies and various toppings to decorate it with, over there…

My gaze lingered on the section Ren was heading. Like the other student council members, it was also a game. Basically it was a ‘guess what song this is’ kind of thing for Christmas songs, where they’d answer the title of the song as well as sing a few lyrics.

… I don’t like games like those, but a part of me wanted to go just to talk with Ren… No. I’ve had enough shameful and contradicting behavior for tonight.

I went to a buffet table instead and filled my plate with fingerfood. I went beside another student who was drinking some juice. “… Why are you idle?” I asked before eating again.

JR glanced at me from the corner of his eye before focusing his gaze back on the party. “Just a small break,” he said.

I scoffed. “Uh-huh.”

“… Aron took my job and forced me to loiter,” he said instead.

“Being too much of a busybody?”

“I would’ve preferred another term, but yes, technically. He said I needed to rest.” He took the effort to glance at me. I felt somewhat touched. “… Why are you here?”

“Because I want to be. Can’t I enjoy a school activity?” I said with a raised brow.

He scoffed. “Uh-huh.”

“… Lost a bet with Aron.”

“… We should definitely deal with that guy soon.”

“Agreed.”

We were quiet again for a few more minutes, both of us just observing everyone doing their own thing… I caught sight of Jason over at the mahjong club’s place and Yooyoung doing a game headed by Minhyun… I was too lazy to join them. I focused my gaze then on other students. There was this girl with a stunning blue dress, made of fine silk and was embroidered remarkably well. It must have a cost a lot or her family was in the fashion industry. I noted how one male student’s bowtie was slightly crooked, two centimeters higher on the left-

“In ten minutes, the exchange gift will begin.”

Remembering who I stood next to, I nodded briefly. “Yeah… I brought a gift, don’t worry. I’m not leaving early.”

“I wasn’t implying you were unprepared,” he said with a small smile.

I stared warily at him. “Riiight,” I drawled out.

“… I’ll do you a favor, seeing as, compared to our past encounters, you’re a bit more amiable today-“

“I am?”

“… Well, I am.” I laughed at that. He just smirked in response and pointed at the table Yooyoung and I were seated at. “You’re seated there, right?” I nodded. “Make sure to sit in that same place later, understood?”

“I understand, but why should I comply?”

“You’ll thank me for it later.”

“… but I don’t want to thank you.”

“JR! Let’s start getting ready for that exchange-!” Aron had come over to us, and his eyes bulged out when he saw me. “You came!”

I glared at him. “Do I look like someone who’d go back on their word?”

“You look absolutely gorgeous!” he said with a whistle, ignoring my question. “… But why didn’t you get rid of the glasses?”

“I know I’m gorgeous,” I merely said. “And I wear glasses so I can see where I’m going, obviously.”

“This is why I didn’t compliment her,” JR said, facing Aron. “She doesn’t need one.”

“Oh come on, JR! It doesn’t always have to be a need! It doesn’t hurt to give a girl something she wants. Speaking of wants…” He wiggled his eyebrows at me. “Did Ren see you?”

I really wanted to hit him, just because he was that annoying… Wait. He wasn’t Ren. Why was I even hesitating? I slapped him hard on the shoulder. He just laughed at my pitiful effort. Damn it, why am I so weak?!

“I thought you had to start getting ready for that exchange gift segment?” I said instead.

“So did you buy him a gift-?”

Leave.”


43-A

I stared at the small sticker on one of the petals of the white rose by my glass. How could I have not noticed this before? It was hidden well, and no one else noticed the numbers on their own, but this is me. I should’ve caught sight it from the moment I sat down at the table and noticed the flowers!

I was too irritated at my inadequacy to bother looking for the person with the 43-B that I would exchange gifts with. The girls seated at my table had already stood up, their roses in hand, and were looking for their exchange partner… I had a small inkling whom my partner would be, seeing as JR had specifically told me stay in this seat that had that number.

My eyes widened when I saw a rose with an exposed petal, showing me 43-B, suddenly appear in front of me. I gulped.

He was behind me, his arms resting on my shoulders, and his long fingers twirling his white flower around, bumping its bud onto my own.

“… I found it kind of weird how JR insisted I take his seat, but now I’m certainly not complaining!” Ren said with a chuckle, his breath hot against my ear.

Too close, too close, too close, too close! I quickly leaned forward, farther away from him, and turned to face him properly.

Ren was smiling innocently at me, not at all bothered by our close contact.

Was skinship normal for him?! I remember how he kept pulling away when the other SC members do it with him, so why is he always initiating it when it’s between us?!

It gave me false hope and I do not want that.

“He probably doesn’t want a gift from me, don’t look too much into it,” I said.

He took a seat next to me. We were the only ones at the table. “Why wouldn’t he? I certainly want a gift from you! Didn’t you plan on giving me one especially?”

Why are you bringing that up?! I glared at him. “You never gave me a straight answer, so I didn’t bother.”

Is he acting dense? Does he think that recounting something about that day wouldn’t make me remember his rejection? Why is he so insensitive-?!

I noticed his slight shock at my harsh tone.

… I inwardly grimaced. The reason he’s saying it so freely is because he thinks I’m not sensitive about the topic at all. I had given no sign that I was hurt, so why would he think otherwise?

Everyone knows how brutally honest I am. And since I had said I was perfectly fine with his response, there would be no reason for him not to believe me. My mere personality would be enough for him to think I was fine – even I was surprised at how weak I really was at the face of rejection.

He pouted at me. That expression pulled me out of my thoughts and quickly made my resolve weaken. “I was hoping to get something especially for me,” he admitted.

No matter what state our relationship is at, his aegyo will always win. “I kind of… sort of… bought this with you in mind,” I whispered almost inaudibly, but I knew he heard it.

He beamed at me. “Really?!” he said in excitement as he took hold of my outstretched gift. “Can I open it now?” he said, pulling at the ribbon of my perfectly wrapped present. “Too late, I’m already opening it!”

I laughed at his words, but it died down when I noticed how he was opening my present. Ren was opening it incredibly carefully, not tearing at the wrapper and he had even set the ribbon safely on the table. He knew how much effort I put into things like that, and he was appreciating it.

Stop making me like you more! It has to be the other way around, darn it!

Finally done, he pulled out a blue piece of clothing. “What is this?” he muttered, unfolding it. “A one piece? Pajamas? …” He saw the hood part of it. “… Elephant?”

 “He wants a plane ticket to America and a VIP pass for Lady Gaga’s concert, complete with a five-star hotel package.”

“Did you ask him to be a little more realistic?”

“His first answer was an elephant.”

“Aron told me what you wanted for Christmas… this was the closest thing I could get-”

He pulled me into a hug.

… What was I saying again?

“Thank you!” he beamed. “You’re the best, Jinah!”

“It isn’t that great,” I muttered once I realized he was talking to me and he was expecting a reply and I should really answer and he was still hugging me oh my God- “It just barely passed the minimum price for exchange gifts.”

“It’s the thought that counts, right? And you were thinking of me when buying it, ri~ight?” he said, finally letting go of me and grinning proudly.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “You’ve gotten incredibly smug.”

Ren just laughed and handed me a small box. “Here’s mine.”

I looked down at the ribbon wrapped box in my hands. “… Can’t I open it at home?”

“Open it now,” he merely said.

Demanding, little…! I pulled at the ribbon lightly, wondering why I was obeying him anyway. I then lifted the lid and removed a small, glass bottle that was in the shape of a butterfly.

“… Perfume?” I said, examining the bottle in my hands.

You smell of women’s perfume.”

“This is Minyun’s perfume actually… Sprayed some on me by accident.”

“Remember that time you smelled perfume on me? Other people also noticed, but you were the only one that knew it was women’s perfume… So I sort of… ah, concluded that you’d be into this kind of stuff. Am I wrong? You never wear perfume at all, so…?” he said, a bit hesitant at my answer.

I looked up at him. “No, you’re right… I don’t really buy stuff like this – never found the occasion to… so…”

He grinned, obviously pleased with himself.

I smiled, touched at how he had noticed something so simple in our past conversations. “Thanks.” I suddenly frowned. “… Did this cost more?”

“I didn’t hit the max,” he answered.

I looked at the beautiful bottle again. “… Really?”

“My mom loves perfume – we have a small room filled with different perfume scents. The bottle was the only thing I bought. Is that enough to appease you?” he said jokingly.

“… Somewhat,” I muttered. “Wait… So you made this?” I asked in awe.

“Yup! Spray some on!” he quickly said.

I complied and sprayed some on my wrist. The first whiff of it was a bit citrus and zesty – a spark for a first impression. But then it suddenly turned into an explosive mixture of patchouli, rose and amber smoothed by soothing vanilla. The rose of it was not mild at all, but a dominant sweet and powdery rose. The general scent of it seemed to be overwhelmed by dark, woodsy undertones and exotic spices.

It’s a scent you’d associate with a woman that was confident to portray herself, yet maintain a mysterious gait, a mistress that is aware how regal she is compared to anyone that dares cross her path.

“Fits you perfectly, huh?”

I nodded, dumbstruck at the beautiful smell. How could this fit me? I knew I had the confidence and superiority complex to fit the scent but I felt that it was an aroma… above me.

“… What if you hadn’t gotten me as your exchange gift partner?” I asked instead. This perfume wasn’t meant for quiet or cheery girls.

He laughed. “Even if JR hadn’t forced me to his seat, I would’ve stolen the seat plan anyway to know what spot would be exchanging gifts with you.”

This guy…

He had planned on giving me a present all along.

He had made it especially for me.

I looked up at him, my eyes boring directly into his own. “… You do know that I like you, right? So you doing this… makes me hope.”

“Whether you like me or not, I would’ve given it to you anyway,” he said with a smile.

My eyes widened and I could feel my heart pounding in my ears.

“I’ve never really had female friends to give gifts to – so this one is extra special compared to the rest of the guys!”

Friends.

I groaned and leaned back on my chair. “… What if I don’t want to be your friend?”

Ren tilted his head in confusion. “Why? You don’t have to think too much into this gift giving – the rest of the guys don’t. Aron got me a Barbie brush – the loser. So your gift is by far among the best I’ve gotten for Christmas!”

That’s not what I meant! Why is he so unbelievably dense?!

“A lovely Christmas again to you all,” the principal announced. He was back on the stage, microphone in hand.

As he continued with his message, Ren put my gift for him back in the box and placed it in his bag. Seems the council would be doing something now- My eyes widened when he also put his own gift for me in my handbag. “What-?”

He took hold of my wrist and stood up, leading me towards the entrance of the gym and pass several other students. “Let’s go!”

“Where?”

“Out. The next few parts are just a bunch of farewell and closing remarks – boring stuff,” he said offhandly.

“But you’re part of the council – isn’t it your job to see it till the end-“

“JR’s big enough to deal with it!” he said with a grin. A few meters away from the exit, he suddenly stopped in front of someone. I checked to see who it was, and winced upon realizing who. “Yooyoung, right?” he asked with a smile.

Yooyoung nodded, slightly surprised… but then a smirk graced her face when she saw me. “I take it Jinah won’t be coming home with me tonight?” she said, already getting straight to the point.

Ren grinned. “Don’t worry! I’ll bring her home safely!”

She winked at us. “Make sure to be safe!”

Ren frowned. “What-?”

I glared at her. “Shut up, Yooyoung!”

I could her airy laugh as we continued towards the exit. While I was impressed at how Ren didn’t get the joke… I was also a little ashamed that I did.

Once we were out, I quickly buttoned up my jacket and pocketed my hands. It was late in the evening and even colder than earlier, some snow falling. “… What do you want to do outside where it’s freezing and not inside where it’s warm?” I asked, a white cloud leaving my mouth as I did. So cold!

“Too many people inside,” he said, not at all affected by the change in temperature. “And I want to show you something!” He was about to reach for my hand, but frowned when he saw that they were deep in my jacket. “No gloves?”

“I didn’t think I’d be leaving the warm confines of a heated room,” I snapped. I disliked extreme temperatures.

He reached into his bag and pulled out his black gloves. He put one on and handed me the other one, “Put this on your left.”

I complied. “Well, that’s one hand safe from frost-“

With his ungloved left hand, he took hold of my ungloved right and shoved it into his own jacket pocket. “More warmer, right?” he said with a smile.

His hand was colder than my own, but our hands being together in his pocket warmed them both up considerably.

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

As I walked beside him, I couldn’t help the huge smile from gracing my face. I was holding his hand. Why was something so simple making me so stupidly happy?

“You know that lake between the middle and high school buildings?” he asked suddenly.

I noted how we were nearing the said lake. “Yes… It should be frozen by now. Why?”

“So, I had this idea for the Christmas party, but I wasn’t so sure it’d work so I didn’t tell JR. If it does, I’ll probably have it done next year,” he said at first, not really answering my question yet.

I laughed. “Because you’re so sure that you guys will still win the elections for next year.”

“Of course, we will!” he said, turning to me in shock. “No one would dare run against us, let alone beat us!”

“… Stop hanging around me,” I said at his smug tone.

Ren just laughed and quickened his pace, forcing me to follow suite. “So, I wanted to check out my idea tonight. And I want to see your reaction to it!”

“Still not gonna tell me what ‘idea’ that is?” I asked. He only grinned in reply.

We finally arrived by the lake. Ren went to a nearby bench and bent down, getting something that was tied under it. He stood back up and showed me a small remote control.

I rose an eyebrow. “… Okay.”

Ren just grinned and went beside me again. He gestured to the lake, and I turned to face it. With a press of a button, my breath got stuck in my throat as I saw what happened.

The area was dark, with only a few outdoor lights. But now, a bright blue light came from the lake, casting a soft glow around the entire area. With other presses on the remote, the blue light was now accompanied by green, then red, then yellow.

The lake was practically glowing rainbow.

Ren took a careful step on the ice, walking towards the center. “… Ah… seems it doesn’t work that well,” he suddenly said, looking down. He turned to face me. “… Jinah?” he asked with a raised brow.

I stood there, my gaze on him unwavering. The various colors of light shone on him. It cast a colorful glow on his profile.

He looked so… magical.

“Jinah!” he called out again.

A fairy was calling my name.

I saw him roll his eyes before steadily walking towards me, settling with sliding on the ice as he neared the edge. He took hold of my bare hand again. “It’s the coldest time of winter. I’m sure the ice is thick enough to support your weight!”

This mystical being was holding my hand and was leading me towards the center of his fairy world. Am I dreaming?

I followed him carefully to the center and looked down at the yellow ray of light he was pointing at. “… That was supposed to be a square,” Ren said.

“… You can’t really tell,” I replied, trying to bring my mind back from fairy land.

He pointed at a green spot. “That was supposed to be a star.”

“… Looks the same as this wannabe square.”

“Exactly. I was thinking of putting a ‘Merry Christmas’ light under the lake to have it shine on the ice, but I didn’t think the water would distort the light this much…” Ren said, somewhat disappointed.

“Wait… did you just dump a bunch of lights into the lake before winter?” I asked.

“I did. Oh, don’t worry. They’re the kind you see in swimming pools and stuff, just a lot bigger. I have them all attached to ropes, so I could just pulled them out once the ice thaws,” he said, pointing at the edge of a lake where all the rope ends probably were.

I nodded in response and looked around the colorful lake again. “… Even if your idea didn’t work, this still looks incredibly beautiful.”

“Yup!” he said. I turned to him, shocked when I saw him staring right at me. By agreeing to my beautiful compliment, did he mean me? “All these colors kind of gives you a magical feeling – you look like a fairy!” he said with a laugh.

I froze at his words and recalled my own thoughts minutes ago.

… Why was he even more honest and earnest than me?

I clenched tightly onto his hand. He tilted his head in confusion at my action.

“… I like you.”

He smiled.

“I know.”

… and that’s it?

I sighed and let go of his hand. I sat down on the ice before laying back down at it. The colors surrounded me as I looked up at the dark sky.

I heard Ren take a few steps until he was by my head. He looked down at me. “… What are you doing?”

“You’re always looking down on me,” I said aloud. “It really pisses me off.” I recalled the first time we met… my confession… even up till now… Always.

Everyone had said how I always looked down on people, yet for him it was the other way around. I saw him raise an eyebrow. My eyes widened at his next action though.

He lay down next to me and turned his head to meet my gaze. “I’m going to lie down too. There, now we’re eye-level.” He looked up at the night sky. “You know, you could have just got up if you didn’t want to be looked down upon.”

This guy was always surprising me… It was rare to find anyone that can actually do that, and yet he can almost daily… Ugh, I don’t know anymore.

I didn’t respond and we spent a few minutes in the rainbow glow.

He suddenly sat up. “… It’s freezing.”

“We are on ice,” I said. “And it is still snowing.”

Ren stood up and patted at his back to get rid of the snow on it. “I thought you hated this cold temperature? Why are you still down?”

“I’ve become numb,” I merely said. I my side, my back to him. “Let me freeze to death in this beautiful place, fairy prince.”

“Jinah-“

“Wait…” When I had my head, my hands were in front of me… my left wrist was exposed and I could smell the base notes of Ren’s perfume from earlier.

It still retained the same sweet - spicy - woody character. But this time, it felt like the rose was just oozing out – fleetingly. What was apparent now was the sweet and soft amber, a bit of rich spice in it as well.

From a regal queen, the perfume was now like a kind and spirited princess.

“… The base notes…” I muttered.

I heard him laugh. “Like I said, it fits you perfectly, right?”

I curled into a fetal position. “Go away.”

“What-?”

“Stop making me like you more!”

I heard him sigh loudly at my behavior. He took hold of my arm and forced me to sit up. “You’re going to get sick if you don’t stand up now.”… I scoffed and stood up. He nodded, obviously in victory. “Good. Anyway, I’ll walk you home, okay?”

“Did you not hear what I just said?” I asked as he took hold of my hand and we cautiously walked off the ice.

“I’m going to walk you home, no matter what you say,” he merely replied.

“Not that… I meant… you’re not going to respond or anything?”

We finally arrived on the solid ground. He turned to me and again pocketed both our hands into his jacket. “… What do you want me to say?” he asked.

“That’s… a really mean question,” I whispered.

His eyes slightly widened. “I didn’t… I mean… I’m sorry,” he finally said, honestly regretting his words.

“No, it’s fine. You’re a pretty slow and dense guy – what was I expecting?” I said with a small laugh.

Ren pouted. “Eh? Why are you insulting me?”

His aegyo again-!

“I thought you liked me?”

I froze at his words. I quickly pulled back my hand and took a few steps away from him. “… I’m going home with Yooyoung.”

He quickly took hold of my hand again to keep me from leaving. “What? No! I’m sorry-“

“Stop!” I said, looking down at the snow-covered floor. “Stop saying you’re sorry… It’s fine. You’re doing nothing wrong. You’re just unaffected by all this – it doesn’t matter to you, so much that you can even joke about it. That’s fine…”

“Jinah…”

I pulled my hand back and grasped it to my chest, willing myself to look at him in the eye again.

“I’m going to change that though.”

His eyes slightly widened. “… What…?”

“I’m going to make you fall for me! You may not like me now, but you most definitely will!” I said in a smug tone.

Ren did not look amused. “Your words sound confident… but why does it look like you’re about to cry?”

I narrowed my completely dry eyes at him. “I don’t cry.”

It was a lie, but he didn’t need to know that.

Ren suddenly reached for his phone and dialed a number. “Hey, Baekho. You know that girl on the basketball team – Yooyoung? Yeah. She still there?”

Don’t betray me! We’ve only been gone for like half an hour – you have to be there!

“Oh? Went out with some friends a few minutes ago? Then how about Jason? Aron’s classmate with red hair?”

I suddenly frowned at that. I had never spoken about Jason to him – how did he know he was my friend?

“No where to be seen? Alright, thanks.” He hung up and raised a brow at me. “I’ll be walking you home then.”

Why do I have so little friends?! Wait, no! There was still one! My last resort!... That sounded a little sad.

I reached for my own phone and quickly dialed my most recently added number. I placed it to my ear and grimaced when he had yet to answer. “Why aren’t you picking up? You should still be at the party, it’s your job for goodness-“

I frowned when Ren suddenly took hold of my hand and lowered it, so he could see the name on my phone. I noticed his sudden glare. “You have Aron’s number,” he said.

I tried to get my hand back, but his grip was tight. “So?”

“You don’t have my number yet,” he suddenly said, looking up at me again. “Why do you have his before mine?”

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was jealous of Aron. But I do know better – it keeps me from clinging onto false hope… wait, no it doesn’t.

I know better, but that doesn’t mean I’ll act better. Even if he isn’t really jealous, I’ll think he is – suddenly brightened up my mood!

“We exchanged numbers so that I could tell him my make-up exam results when it came out. Why are you so mad about that?” I asked as he began inputting his own number onto my phone.

“I was your friend first,” he merely said, handing me my phone before handing his own as well for me to put in my number.

“… Well, maybe that’s what makes it different.”

“What?”

“I don’t want to be your friend,” I told him.

The look he gave me was like I told him to go die.

“No! I don’t mean- I meant I want you more than a friend…” I quickly looked down. “Stop acting so cute, damn it.”

“Do I have to pull an aegyo on you for you to agree on me walking you home?” he asked.

“… Save yourself the trouble,” I mumbled out.

Ren smiled brightly and took hold of my hand again, shoving both our hands into his jacket pocket again.

“This is so unfair,” I said aloud as we began headed towards the school gates. “I was supposed to be mad at you for a little longer.”

“That was long enough!”

“No, it wasn’t…”

Nothing I ever do was enough when it came to him. Confessing to him wasn’t enough. Becoming friends with him wasn’t enough.

Call me greedy, but I wanted more.

“I’m going to work hard,” I said suddenly.

Ren smiled but didn’t reply.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀

END CHAPTER 9
 but everytime he laughts- i'm the one who falls in love 

▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀

PREVIEW

Chapter 10

“Hey, want me to help you out in your struggle to find love?”
“… You call that jealousy?”
“I was Jinah’s friend first, I don’t see why you get to eat lunch with her alone before me.”

“Then how about we make a bet?”
 “Then if I do get into the top – which I will – you’ll…”
“I’ll…?”
“You’ll go on a date with me.”
“Deal.”

 “You’re coming to school on time. You’re doing your schoolwork. You’re even helping the council out… Who are you?”


A/N:

Still no development in their relationship?... Still no development. IT WILL GET THERE THOUGH, PROMISE :D..... just maybe not so soon. Haha. Don't forget to comment and suscribe~