Not What She Seems Like

Love In The Limelight || A YG Family and JYP Nation fanfic

Nami P.O.V

I sat in the black rolling chair of the recording studio. No one had found me yet but I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came in and gave me a lecture on being rude. My hand rested on the computer mouse, distractedly clicking on different synths and instruments. The mismatched sounds drummed against my ears in the headphones. Making a face I reset the track and started again. None of it sounded good. 

I thought back to Hyun Mi's performance and how well put together it was. Throughout the performance, I had paid more attention to the back up dancers than anything. They all looked so happy performing her choreography. And then all the compliments she got from everyone. I knew deep down I was being a bitter, jealous person but how come she got so many compliments and when I was putting together performances in my trainee days, all I got was criticism. 

Yang Hyun Suk had kept telling me it would make me a better performer, but all I wanted was just one "Good job, Nami!". I groaned and slouched in my chair, this tune wasn't working either. I reset it again. In the silence, I heard the door slide open and then click shut. Someone found me.

I rolled around in the chair just enough to see Hyun Mi walk in. I frowned slightly, not expecting her to the be the first to find me. Sitting up, I lowered the headphones so that they rested around my neck. Hyun Mi smiled and sat on the arm of the couch.

"Look," I started. "I'm, uh, sorry I just stormed out of there. I get all stressed when I'm assigned a new project and can't automatically get started." It wasn't a complete lie, but it also wasn't the full truth.

"No, I totally understand. I'm exactly the same." She smiled.

"Oh," I replied lamely. 

"We also seem to have something else in common," she said standing up and walking over to the desk. She leaned against that now, because of her new position I had to almost look straight up to meet her gaze.

"What's that?" I asked, not liking where this was going.

Hyun Mi smiled again, but it was no where near kind. "We both seem to have the same taste in men."

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to keep the scowl off my face. She just met Jackson and was already trying to pin herself to him. 

"And?"

"And, even though everyone seems to treat you two like a couple the reality is that you aren't. So as long as he's single, he's fair game. I don't intend for your school-girl crush to get in the way."

I frowned, trying to push away the anger building up. I was so angry, I didn't even know what to say. Hyun Mi smirked at my silence and stood up straight before making her way to the door again. She turned the knob but then stopped and looked over her shoulder at me.

"Oh, don't bother making a song. I already have one for the group and I'm sure when JYP hears it he'll choose it over your's anyway. Besides, your songs are mediocre and the only reason you're getting attention is because of who your brother is and the connections you have. If you thought it was because of your talent you're an idiot."

And with that she was gone. 

My face burned with rage, and my eyes clouded suddenly as hot tears filled them and then dripped down my cheeks. Who the hell did she think she was?! She just got here and she thinks she can call the shots? I ripped off the headphones from my neck and without turning anything off I exited the room only to run straight into someone.

My thoughts automatically jumped to Jackson based on the build of the person, but instead I met JB's gaze when I looked up. JB frowned when he took in my appearance.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

I took a step back. Quickly wiping my face I looked up and smiled. "Nothing! I'm fine. Promise."

JB wasn't stupid, I knew he didn't buy it but he must've seen the desperation in my eyes because he let it go. "Okay."

"Oh...and if anyone asks," I added, stepping around him. "You didn't see me."

"Where are you going?"

"I just...I need to see Hyunseung oppa for a while. But don't worry, I'll tell Jae Su. I gotta go. Bye!"

Before JB could say anything else, I ran off towards the stairs wanting to avoid accidentally meeting anyone in the elevator. When I reached the bottom floor, I snuck past the receptionist and ran down the street, the opposite direction of where Jae Su was sitting in the van waiting for us. 

---

JB P.O.V

I watched Nami run off down the hall with a frown. The image of her tears and red eyes still fresh. Sighing, I decided to find the rest of the group. After Nami left the dance studio we realized we couldn't find her anywhere and set off to look for her. Now, as I walked past a recording studio I caught a glimpse of the lights and computers still on. Clicking my tongue I entered the room and headed towards the computer. 

A new song was open but nothing was added in. My only guess was that Nami was in here but was having trouble. However I thought back to the Nami we all knew. She never cried unless something was really bothering her, or made her really mad. I shrugged it away, deciding I'd tell the others what I found. She'd run off before I could promise back so it wasn't completely breaking it. 

I shut everything off, and then left the studio. I found everyone on the next floor up in the dance studios again.

"Did you find her?" Jimin asked as soon as I entered the room. Everyone looked up and I caught Hyun Mi's bored look as she crossed her arms. She met my gaze and smirked, something out of the ordinary from her previous behavior. It also made me hesitate in telling the truth. Like she shouldn't know where Nami really is.

"No," I lied. "But I found a recording studio left on, I must've just missed her." Their shoulders sagged and I continued on. Knowing Nami would be with her brother and safe brought a reassuring confidence to my voice that I hoped calmed everyone down. "But I'm sure she's fine. Nami's smart, she knows not to just go running off by herself."

Everyone nodded and I smiled reasurringly. Gathering our things we left the dance studios for the second time.

---

Nami P.O.V

I stepped off the bus and weaved through the crowd trying to get on. I had no way to hide my face but I would just have to hope that no one knew me enough to recognize me. I walked down the block to the residential areas and followed the familiar path to Hyunseung's place. When I found the apartment I buzzed his unit. A moment later the intercom came on.

"Hello?"

"Oppa, it's me. Can I come up for a little while?"

"Nami? Sure. Is eveything okay?"

"I'll tell you upstairs," I replied. In response, Hyunseung buzzed open the door for me. I climbed up the three flights of stairs before reaching his front door where I found him waiting for me. He lifted his arm and let me in for hug.

"What's up kid, you okay?" 

We entered his apartment and made our way to the living room where I plopped back onto his couch, Hyunseung sat next to me. "JYP added a new member to KraZ." 

"How is she?"

"She's absolutely great, in the performance sense. She showed us this number she put together for her solo stage and its really good. But I'm all pissy becasue I don't want another member. This was supposed to be me and Jimin and Semi. The three of us as a group doing what we love."

"And I get that," Hyunseung said, his tone filled with understanding. "I'm sure you'll warm up to her."

I scoffed. "Yeah we'll see."

Hyunseung frowned. "She did something didn't she?"

"It's nothing. Just stupid girl feud stuff. I'll figure it out."

"C'mon. It's obviously bothering you. And you know you shouldn't bottle these things up."

"She...she's interested in Jackson..." I sighed, looking away. I was suddenly embarrassed by how petty it sounded out loud. Jackson was his own person and could decide who he wanted to be with. It wasn't up to me or Hyun Mi. Hyunseung only made a hum in acknowledgment and when I looked over he was looking straight ahead.

"Well, that part's up to Jackson," Hyunseung replied, practically repeating what I was just thinking. I nodded in agreement. 

"Still hurt, for some reason," I muttered.

Hyunseung only smiled and draped his arm over my shoulders before pulling me toward him for a hug. "Sounds like jealousy."

I frowned but didn't reply. I was jealous, but couldn't someone just say they agreed with me?

--

Jimin P.O.V

It was late in the afternoon when Nami came back home. The three of us were in the living room, when the maknae just walked past everyone and locked herself in her room. Semi looked back to the TV, laughing at the joke that had just been told. Hyun Mi stared at Nami's door for a moment longer before slowly turning away, a blank look on her face. 

"Don't worry," I told her. "She's always like that. Usually it means she just got inspiration for a song."

Hyun Mi looked up and smiled slightly in response before looking back at the TV. Getting up, I stretched out my neck and made my way towards Nami's door. When I opened it she was at her desk in front of her laptop, her attention completely taken by whatever she was doing. I could faintly hear the bass of the song through her earbuds. I must've caught her attention because she looked over and paused the song, dropping her earbuds.

"Where were you?" I asked nonchalantly, entering her and closing the door behind me. I sat down on her bed and leaned back on my hands.

Nami frowned slightly as if I should've known but answered anyway. "I was with Hyunseung oppa. I needed to talk to him."

"You should've told us," I said gently but sternly. Again she frowned but wiped it away quickly.

"I know..but uh it was super important. About our family," she said, looking away. Her foot started to tap quickly, a tell tale sign she was lying. It was my turn to frown now. Nami never lied to me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked playing along. 

"Yeah, everything's fine." Suddenly she stood up from the desk and started towards the door. "Sorry, I have to talk to JB about something real quick."

"JB?"

"Yeah it'll only take a moment." Then she was gone. I frowned and stood up, my eyes drifting to the computer. Pursing my lips, I wandered over and scanned the words visible on the screen

Your thirsty face starts sweating
And your flesh is on the tip of my sharp fingers

Not much to go on, I thought to myself. But I knew that when Nami was finished with it, it would be great. Feeling slightly bad for snooping I stood up and left the room.

Nami P.O.V

I exited the dorm and made my way to the GOT7 dorm. When I stood in front of their door I raised my fist and knocked. Luck must've been on my side and knew I didn't want to face anyone else at the moment because JB answered the door. 

"Can I talk to you?" I said quietly. I could hear the others in the background yelling and joking around. JB nodded and stepped out of the dorm and shut the door softly. "Why didn't you tell them I was with Hyunseung?"

JB scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "Sorry...it's kind of hard to explain. And you might think I'm crazy...but when I went to tell them I couldn't. There was something about Hyun Mi that made me feel like I shouldn't announce where you were to the room. She had this look on her face too. I don't know how to explain it."

I blinked, JB was more intuitive than I gave him credit for. After a moment, I nodded. "No I get it. And you're right about Hyun Mi. She's not entirely what she seems." 

"Did she say something to you?"

"Nothing of importance," I muttered. Suddenly the door opened and Jackson poked his head out.

"They sent me to see where you..." Jackson stopped when he saw me."Nami! You're back."

I smiled slightly. "Yeah sorry for disappearing. Family issue."

"Is everything okay?" 

"Everything's fine," I brushed it off. "Listen, I have to get back. I'll see you guys later."

Before the conversation could go on I waved and scurried back down the hall. I needed to finish this song and prove to Hyun Mi that it wasn't just my connections but that I could really write a good song.