Chapter 4

Rain and Sun

The deafening silence that followed the departure of the boy did nothing to dampen Sungyeol’s overly cheerful mood. The sun peeking out and flooding into his apartment brought a wide grin to his face as he ate his breakfast. Most people would frown upon a grown man living off instant or simple dishes but Sungyeol was not one to care. He didn’t have the patience to learn to cook nor put the skills to good use; he settled for things that he couldn’t burn or otherwise ruin. Yet eating cereal out of the box, since the cabinet that held the bowls was “too far” from where he sat, brought his life into perspective. He had been living on his own for over two years but neglected to do simple chores, piles of untouched dishes, clothes thrown across the apartment, toys he hadn’t played with in years and the cat he sometimes forgot he owned. The feline in question sat before him meowing loudly and consistently. Sungyeol regretted getting the animal more than anything in his life even though he was bored of it he couldn’t simply stop playing with it; it was alive. He shuffled over to the cat and picked her up before shutting her in the bathroom after tossing her food in. He recalled the day he had bought the kitten with much excitement, promising his father he would take care of it and not get bored of it. Of course he father knew him too well and swear that if Sungyeol did get bored of the kitten he would still take responsibility for it. Sungyeol sighed as the cat’s mewls quieted only to realize he had to enter the bathroom himself to get ready for work.

After what felt like hours of chasing his cat around the bathroom, Sungyeol was able to get himself presentable and on his way to work. He reached the building in high spirits, watching the people bustling under the soft sunlight as he drove to his destination. He rode the elevator to his floor and stepped out only to be greeted by a very panicked looking woman.

“Mr. Lee!” she screeched, “You need to look over the proposal for the meeting.” Sungyeol smiled and nodded in response, taking the files for her hands as he walked farther into the office. He halted in front of a secretary’s desk. The secretary looked up at him with an unamused stare, before returning his eyes to the screen before him.

“You call in sick yesterday and then decide to come late the next day?” the question exited the secretary’s mouth and he looked toward Sungyeol once more. Sungyeol shrugged, still smiling. The secretary sighed as he stood up almost in an intimidating way. Sungyeol took a step back holding his arms up in defense, “Howon,” he chided, “don’t do anything you’ll regret.” The secretary smirked at this comment before simply turning and opening the door behind him. He stepped aside for Sungyeol to enter, giving the man a mock bow. Sungyeol stuck his tongue out at him only to retract it as Howon glared at him. Sungyeol quickly entered his office and the door slammed shut behind him courtesy of Howon.  

Sungyeol sat at his desk staring at the proposal in front of him yet nothing snuck in. Now that he was required to work his brain couldn’t concentrate, images of the boy kept flashing through his mind. The site of him fleeing replayed over and over again, he regretted not stopping the boy a second time as the moment continued to play. Sungyeol reached into his coat pocket pulling out the boy’s wallet and phone. Why he had brought such items with him was a mystery even to Sungyeol yet he had put them in his coat pocket before leaving, maybe he hoped to run into the boy again and have an incentive for him to stay or Sungyeol simply wanted to remember the events of the morning and the night before. Whatever the reason Sungyeol didn’t question it as he watched the screen on the phone blink with a notification. It was a reminded with the time and the address of which the boy worked. Sungyeol smiled as he glanced at his watch, it seemed like the world was going his way today.

Things were not going the way Myungsoo wanted. The café he worked at was overflowing with customers and employees alike. He had already had to ask a woman with a disruptive dog to leave as well as a very drunk old man. The dog had bit him and the old man had punched him, all he wanted was to go home and sleep the rest of the day off, yet he forged on. The café was almost empty, as he cleared a table, another employee walked by and accidently tripped him, causing him to land hard on the ground as the cups and plates from the table fell as well, creating a dangerous sea of ceramic all around him. He stood ready to get a broom when the door to the café opened letting the chilling outside wind enter the toasty shop. A man wearing a black tailored suit entered the shop, taking in the room before his eyes landed on Myungsoo, the man’s lips curled into a smirk he stared at the boy. Myungsoo stood frozen in his spot, he knew this man; it was the man from that very morning. His eyes widened as he took in the man’s unlikely appearance, he looked so refined yet the boy recalled his wondering hands and shook his head, quickly turning around and heading to the back for a broom.

Returning with the broom, Myungsoo began sweeping up his mess, completely ignoring the man’s eyes on his back yet he heard his clearly.

“What can I get you?” The employee at the counter asked. The man didn’t seem to answer almost like he was debating on what he wanted.

“I’ll have an Americano,” he finally responded, “but I want him,” another pause, “to make it.” Myungsoo knew the man had pointed at him when he paused, but choose to remain oblivious as he finished sweeping up the broken shards of dishware. Yet he couldn’t get off that simply.

“Myungsoo,” the employee at the register called, “this man wants an Americano prepared by you.” Myungsoo nodded avoiding eye contact with the man whose eyes continued to trail Myungsoo’s ever move. He quickly prepared the drink and brought it over the man who had taken a seat at a nearby table. The strange man stared at the steaming drink of a second before turning the boy who patiently stood, knowing he had to get his items back. The man cocked his head to the side and frowned slightly, Myungsoo feared the words that were about to emanate from his mouth but held it in for his possessions.

“Isn’t an Americano supposed to be cold?” Myungsoo jaw dropped and his eyes nearly bulged out of his head. Is he an idiot? He thought to himself as he continued to stare at the man in awe, No one can be that stupid, right? Myungsoo quickly composed himself for the sake of his job.

“That, sir, would be an Iced Americano.” Myungsoo stated.

“Oh,” the man seemed surprised as he spoke, “I want that.”

 “What about this one?” Myungsoo asked, pointing to the cup in front of him already. The man shrugged before smiling, “You can have it.” Myungsoo sighed, picking up the cup and walking back over the counter to make the man the correct drink. Myungsoo knew the day was far from over and could only get worse and he felt the man’s gaze fall upon him once more.

A/N

I did it! I finally got around to updating! :D

Um... I don't even know what this chapter is... but Howon is introduced...kinda...

Oh my God. Back. That song and video and dance. Everything was amazing. So many feels.

Also High School: Love On episode 2!

Thank you to everyone who even takes time out of their day to read this story. You are amazing.

Please comment and subscribe!