5

Unknowingly Living With My Boss

Jessica was never a morning person. She hated mornings ever since she was a kid. However, Taeyeon was the complete opposite. She was a morning person. Always waking early to have a proper breakfast, getting to work early and always greeting her colleagues. And today was no different for the two new roommates.

Taeyeon had just finished making pancakes for herself and her roommate. She placed the plate of pancakes on the dining table and set up the table for the two of them.

Taeyeon looked at the clock on the wall. It’s 7:30 am and work starts at 9 am. Jessica was nowhere to be seen and Taeyeon was starting to wonder if she should give her new roommate a wake up call.

She stood there contemplating. Taeyeon had never had a roommate before and she hardly has to wake someone up in the morning so she wasn’t sure what should she do to wake the blonde up.

“How do I wake her up? Should I gently shake her? Tap her? Should I knock on her door? What if she’s ? Omo omo omo! Aish! Byuntae!”

Without realizing it, Taeyeon was already outside Jessica’s door.

“Eh screw this,” Taeyeon thought before knocking on Jessica’s door.

There wasn’t any response and it scared Taeyeon even more.

“What if she’s dead? What if she’s too tired? What if she was murdered??” Before her thoughts could run any wilder, she quickly barged into Jessica’s room.

The room was still dark because the curtains were closed. Taeyeon panicked. She had night blindness and it was impossible for her to see anything in that room. She tried to look for the switch of the lights on the walls but it was pointless.

Taeyeon carefully took a step forward. She felt something, like a piece of clothing on the floor but thought nothing of it. She took another careful step forward and a few more till the most unexpected thing happened.

She slipped over a piece of clothing and landed on something soft. She felt around and tried to figure out what was the lump of softness she was on. Taeyeon assumed it was the bed because of the softness but fate was playing some sick game on her.

Taeyeon grabbed a bunch of what she assumed was the blanket and then she heard it, a moan. Taeyeon froze. She knew it wasn’t her who made that sound. She grabbed at the “blanket” again. Another moan.

“That sounds y.” Taeyeon thought before again, giving a quick squeeze at the “blanket”, causing another moan to be emitted.

“Wait, if it’s not me and I’m in Jessica’s room… HOLY THAT’S JESSICA !!!” Taeyeon said in her mind.

She panicked and tried to stand up but was suddenly pulled down again. Jessica had pulled her down and now instead of Taeyeon being on top of Jessica, she was now next to Jessica.

“How am I supposed to wake her up now?” The shorter one thought.

Taeyeon lifted her arm and tried to feel around for Jessica’s face. She felt warm breath on her neck (which was incredibly arousing) and assumed that Jessica’s face was probably on her neck. Without hesitating, Taeyeon gently tapped on Jessica’s cheeks.

Getting no response, she tried again but slightly harder, no response, still. Taeyeon was getting a little annoyed because she never thought that waking someone up would be this difficult.

Taeyeon decided it was now or never. She muttered a soft sorry and quickly gave Jessica a hard smack on her forehead (well, Taeyeon assumed it was her forehead).

“OUCH! YAH JUNG SOOJUNG! DO YOU WANNA DIE?” Jessica kicked the blankets aside, got up and started yelling with her eyes still close. Hearing no response, she decided to go back to sleep again.

“Jessica, I’m your roommate, Yuri.” Upon hearing that, Jessica’s eyes shot wide open and they were now as wide as saucers.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM? ERT!!” Jessica quickly tried to reach out for the blanket that she had tossed aside moments ago. Then she reached over to the switch for the lamp on the nightstand.

Finally Taeyeon was able to see and she instantly blushed. The sight in front of her was beyond adorable. Jessica was wrapped up in her blanket like a kimbap.

“Huh? ert?” Jessica was so pissed with her roommate she threw a pillow towards Taeyeon.

“Get out! Get out!”

Seeing that her presence was not welcomed, Taeyeon quickly got out of the bed and made her way to the door. She looked down at the floor and saw clothes that Jessica had worn last night scattered on the floor. She was near the door but she turned around wanting to tell Jessica that breakfast was ready until something bright red caught her eyes. It was a pair of undies. It was nearby the bed too and that could possibly be the item that she had slipped on.

Her eyes widen and her face was starting to heat up. She quickly got out of the room and when she was finally out, she let out a breath that she didn’t even know she was holding.

Taeyeon thought about the situation she was in earlier on, “Wait. If that’s her clothes and undies on the floor, does that mean she was ?”

Taeyeon had a horrified look on her face. Her.Roommate.Sleeps..

 

*

 

The two girls were now awkwardly having breakfast. Jessica had come out of her room after putting on some clothes.

“Umm,” Taeyeon hesitated for a while before continuing, “I’m sorry about earlier on.”

“It’s ok.”

“I was trying to wake you up but I have night blindness so I accidentally tripped and fell on your bed.” She didn’t want to be honest about the, “I must have also accidentally grabbed your and I find your moans y as hell” part.

“Oh. I’m sorry for calling you a ert.” Jessica apologized before continuing, “It’s just that I’m not used to having a roommate and I usually um, don’t really wear anything to sleep.”

The girl opposite her who was chewing on her pancake suddenly started coughing so badly. Jessica quickly handed her a glass of orange juice. Taeyeon took big gulps after swallowing the piece of pancake.

“Uh, I shouldn’t have entered then. I’m sorry.”

“No no! It’s ok. If you hadn’t woken me up, I would be late for work. I’m very difficult to wake up.” Taeyeon could only nod in agreement.

 

*

 

After breakfast, the two of them showered and got read for work. The drive was pretty short and before long, they were already at the parking lot. Taeyeon was extremely worried and nervous for today.

One mistake and her identity would be exposed.

The receptionists at the lobby gave a small bow to the executive editor as soon as Taeyeon and Jessica walked into the building. Jessica was beyond excited for her first day at work. Yes, she may have worked at ELLE before but she has been a huge fan of NEON ever since its first publication.

They entered the lift and Taeyeon pressed the number 5 and 6.

“Why are we going to two different floors?”

“Oh. Level 5 is the writers’ office. Level 6 is for the executive editor and her two assistants, Sooyoung and I.”

Jessica made a cute “o” with her lips and within seconds, they were already at the 5th level. Jessica had a tiny bit of hope that Taeyeon would give her a tour of the building but the latter seems to be in a hurry.

Before the doors of the elevator closed shut, Taeyeon pressed the ‘open’ button.

“I’ll give you a tour of the building after you’re done with work, ok? Fighting!” Taeyeon did a small fist pump. Jessica smiled at the cute gesture and gave a small bow.

Yoona who was waiting for her new colleague saw this.

“I see you have met Yuri.”

Jessica was surprised to see someone else in the office.

“How rude of me. Hello, I’m Im Yoona. I’m 24. I’m a writer.” Yoona gave a slight bow. Jessica in turn bowed also and introduced herself.

“Wow. Tae- I mean Yuri was right. You’re really pretty.” Jessica blushed at the compliment and thanked the younger girl.

“Thank you.”

“Let me show you to your table!”

 

*

 

It was lunchtime and so far, there weren’t any problems. A few of Taeyeon’s close friends who were also her subordinates know of the roommate situation and agreed to help Taeyeon keep her identity a secret.

The people who were in it (besides YoonYul) were:

  • Sooyoung (Taeyeon’s second assistant)
  • Sunny (Writer)
  • Seohyun (Writer)
  • Hyoyeon (Receptionist on Taeyeon’s level)

The reason why these few people were aware of the situation was because they interact the most with Taeyeon amongst the other workers in NEON magazine.

“Tae, you want me to get you lunch or are you gonna go grab lunch with Tiffany?” Sooyoung asked.

“I’m planning to meet Jessica for lunch at the cafeteria.”

“What?? Are you crazy??” Yuri who overheard the conversation had to interrupt.

“Why? There’s nothing wrong with meeting her for lunch!”

“Taeyeon-ah, it’s gonna be a bit weird for the other workers to see you have lunch at the cafeteria with a rookie. You rarely even go there!” Yuri explained.

“Besides, they still don’t know about the identity switch and you know how rumours will spread like wildfire.” Sooyoung elaborated.

Taeyeon leaned back on her chair. What her two assistants mentioned were true.

“I guess I can only meet her after working hours.” Taeyeon thought.

“Ok, I’m getting you lunch. You sit in here and don’t move an inch.” Sooyoung warned the editor before walking out of Taeyeon’s office.

 

*

 

It was already 6 pm but Jessica was still not done with her work. She leaned back in her chair and started stretching her arms. Her shoulder and neck was starting to strain from sitting for too long.

She had been busy the whole day. Her first assignment was to research on clothing for the fall/winter season.

“Tired?” Yoona popped by Jessica’s desk to check on her.

“A little.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s my job.” Jessica said with a smile and Yoona couldn’t help but to smile back. She then gave Jessica a gentle pat on her shoulder before making her way back to her desk.

Jessica was starting to zone out when she felt her phone vibrating. It was a text message from an unknown number.

 

Yuri
Hey Jessica. Yuri here. Are you done with work?
Umm not really? I still have tons to finish.
Aww. Are they bullying you?
HAHAHA! No. They’re nice to me.
Well, how long more are you gonna take?
An hour or two? You know you can go home first.
But I promised to give you a tour. ):
Oh the tour!! I forgot! Some other time? Unless you’re willing to stay? ;)

 

Taeyeon had a wide grin on her face. Did Jessica really just sent her a wink?

 

I can wait. I have tons of work to finish too.
Great! ^^ Text me when you’re done.

 

It wasn’t till 8 pm that the two roommates decided that it was enough for today and for them to head home considering there’s barely anyone else in the building except the two of them and Sooyoung.

 

I’m done. Are you?
Yup yup. Was about to text you.
Great. I’ll be there in 5 minutes.

 

Jessica didn’t know why but she quickly shut down her laptop and took out her makeup bag and started checking her reflection in the mirror.

Taeyeon approached Jessica from behind. “You’re beautiful. Now stop staring and let’s get the tour started.”

Jessica smiled and grabbed her bag. The two of them made their way to the elevator.

“Do you wanna go up or down?” Taeyeon asked.

“Down.”

So Taeyeon pressed the number 2 button.

 

*

 

“Welcome to food paradise!” Taeyeon proudly announced.

On this level, there’s a large cafeteria that provides food for the workers for free on a daily basis. Nearby it there’s a bubble teashop that sells the best milk tea. 

For those with sweet tooth, there’s a candy store that sells different kinds of candies and chocolates. There was also different kinds of vending machines that dispensed drinks, snacks etc.

“Do I have to pay for all these?”

“Well yeah. Except the food from the cafeteria and selected vending machines.”

“Cool.”

 

*

 

On level 3 was where all the magic happens as Taeyeon had put it. Level 3 was the printing centre. Samples for upcoming issues are usually printed here before being submitted to the executive editor for approval.

Also, this was the level of the designers’ office. Designers work here because having easy access to the printer is a blessing.

On this floor, there was a small pantry at the back.

What surprised Jessica was the amount of alcoholic beverages in the pantry.

“You can drink here?”

“Oh yeah. Taeyeon likes to drink and she knows that the workers are usually under a lot of pressure and stress. Besides, we advertise for a few of the alcohol brands. So we get free booze all the time.”

 

*

 

Level 4 was where photo shoots were done. The whole level was a dedicated studio for photography. There was also a pantry hidden behind the studio. Compared to the pantry on level 3, this pantry was bigger and filled with more varieties of snacks and drinks. There was also a small table for people to sit and eat.

 

*

 

“I’m sure you’re pretty familiar with this level.”

Jessica nodded.

“But you don’t know the secrets do you?”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a confused look.

“Let’s explore Narnia!” Taeyeon yelled and dragged Jessica to the back of the writers’ room.

They were now standing in front of a brick wall. Taeyeon pressed on a brick. Jessica was about to move away because she thought Taeyeon was playing with her. That was until part of the brick wall swung open. 

“What the hell?”

“Come on, there’s plenty to see.”

There were 5 nap pods and two huge TVs in that room.

“Some of the writers come here to rest. Majority still don’t know of the existence but I’m sure Yoona, Sunny and Seohyun are aware of this little corner.”

“So you just nap and watch TV here?”

“No silly. You can play games too.” Taeyeon pushed the side of a drawer and it opened by itself, revealing the different game consoles.

Taeyeon had wanted to tell Jessica that this was also one of YoonYul’s favourite places for their capades but she doesn’t need to know that, yet.

 

*

 

“And we’re finally here. Level 6, the lair of the tigress.”

Jessica chuckled at Taeyeon’s joke.

“Not everyone is allowed inside the office of the executive editor. Writers and designers usually just leave the things for approval on this counter.” Taeyeon pointed to the counter that Hyoyeon would usually be in.

“Why not?”

“Taeyeon doesn’t like to be disturbed when she’s working. She’s usually a messy worker.” Taeyeon honestly explained the reason.

“But for today, you’re gonna be allowed in.”

“What? I don’t want to be fired, Yuri-ah.”

“Don’t worry. We’re not going in to Taeyeon’s office. Only my side of the room.”

So they entered the room. It was huge.

“Alright. So there are two sides to this room. One side is where Sooyoung and I work.” Taeyeon pointed to the part of the room that had two tables. One had snacks on it and the other was clean and neat.

“And the other side is Taeyeon’s office.” She pointed to a white door.

“I see you guys have your own pantry too.” Jessica eyed the corner of the room.

“Yeah. Mainly because Sooyoung is a shikshin and she eats so much we had to have a separate pantry.”

Jessica laughed at the comment. “Thank you for showing me around, Yuri-ah. You’re the best.”

“No problem. Since it’s your first day, let’s go out and celebrate?”

“Sounds like a great idea.”

 


Hey there! Been ages since I last updated huh? 

I'm sorry for the long wait.

Honestly, I didn't really like the second half of this chapter (the tour part).

Felt that it was a little too boring but it's necessary. 

So comments? What do you like? 

Do you not like the second half of this chapter?

Anyway, recently, I have been thinking of writing a one-shot but the idea has in it.

And believe me, I'm not a pro at writing s. 

So should I still write that one-shot? 

Anyone willing to write the scene for me? :D