Chapter 2

Nature's Bliss Is My Curse

Watched: South Park

 

"I'm telling the truth! Soo Nayoung found her mate!" Sunmi yelled at the boy student that bravely approached a currently sweat dropping - well if people could she would be - Nayoung.

The boy, who was a year younger than Nayoung and Sunmi, boldly stared back at Sunmi with set determination on his features. "So what! She's preached before to the whole school how she doesn't care about that stuff! So she has the choice to go out on a date with me!"

Sunmi growled, eyes flashing. "You can't just hop in like that! She has a mate, that's just messed up!"

Nayoung decided it was best to keep quiet and slowly slip away from the arguing duo.

Ever since she received the call that her mate was found Sunmi had been going crazy. She's been constantly blathering on about how she was going meet the most perfect man - since now they know it's a male - and how there would be a spark even before they speak to each other, they kiss, and live happily ever after.

And she's been scaring off every boy that has approached Nayoung… Not that there were many. Just that one kid she was currently yelling at and another kid who was dared to by his friends (she's known for turning most people down).

Dr. Lee ended up calling her back the next day, saying that he has a very busy schedule and will be able to meet up Thursday around lunch time. Nayoung wasn't sure she would be able to, since she would have to leave school grounds and hopping the fence wasn't the most fun thing to do, but when the doctor added that it was his only free day for a long time she agreed.

She doesn't know why she was suddenly so accepting of meeting this man, maybe it was to prove a point to everyone - including herself - that she can easily turn down her mate. She already had it planned out what she was going to say to him. How she was going to tell him that she didn’t want to get into a relationship with him, but they could be friends. The thing she feared the most was that the other would be applaud by the idea and try to force a relationship between them.

Which was why she never wanted to be catalogued in the first place, even though it was the law. Stupid law…

"So it's today?" Sunmi asked after class, it was lunch and due to the meeting Nayoung was walking towards the schools entrance.

She nodded. "Sadly."

"Today's the best day of your life you know," her best friend smugly announced. "You get to meet the other half of your soul today. And judging by your tattoo, it looks like you'll have some intense bond."

"I don't care."

She huffed. "I'm telling you right now that you guys are going to end up together, and I'm going to be able to do my little dance." Sunmi struck a pose, with what was supposed to be a seductive expression on her face.

Nayoung rolled her eyes, stepping in front of the schools closed front gate. Placing her hands on the cold metal she looked back at her friend. "Gonna give me a lift?"

Happily smiling, Sunmi made a cradle with her clasped hands, bending down.

"1,2,3-" Nayoung stepped onto the offered hand, Sunmi pulling up at the same time.

Cleanly landing on the other side, Nayoung brushed the creases out of her deep red skirt. Pulling out her hands she barely grabbed the bag thrown over.

Sunmi sent her a sheepish look. "We haven't done this in a while, I'm getting rusty. Good luck!" With a wave goodbye and a hwaiting pose Nayoung began walking down the street to the closest bus stop.

She decided she would arrive at their meeting place five minutes early, so she could go to the bathroom and change out of her school uniform.

They would be meeting at a self-serve froyo place, of all places. Nayoung remembers thinking it was a weird place, but it was more original than meeting up at a café and it ensured that they would be in public. So if this man ended up being an old ert she could scream 'ert' and run.

She mentally groaned at the thought she could end up with a ert. Great. Just what she needs.

Quickly changing into a baby blue lace top, black tank underneath and dark jeans Nayoung sat at in one of the brightly colored chairs.

Tapping her long nails against the plastic pure white round table, she stared out the window, watching the people as they walked by. Every time a male walked by she couldn't help but wonder if they were her mate, but every one of them would continue walking.

"Are you going to get anything?" the tall woman behind the counter asked, resting her chin on her fist. "We don't let people just chill in here."

Looking up, Nayoung replied, "I'm having my meeting here."

The woman's previously dull expression turned bright, a smile etching its way onto her face. "You're meeting? Oh that's so cute! Take all the time you want sweetie."

The student just nodded at the now energetic cashier.

It was barely thirty seconds later when a tall thin figure emerged from the front door. Nayoung felt her heart stop when she saw him walking over towards her.

The man pulled back the seat opposite of Nayoung, sitting down.

"Are you…?" the student trailed off, staring at the white surgical mask he wore.

Wordlessly he pulled a photograph out of his pocket, sliding it across the table. It jostled Nayoung's memory making her pull out a similar photograph from her bag.

The two simultaneously looked at the others photograph, both of their eyes widening. The photographs were of both of their tattoo's, showing that indeed, they both were branded with the same one. Both on the back of their left shoulder.

"You're her," his voice was light, joy shining in his eyes.

Nayoung nodded, suddenly feeling very small. "And you're him… I'm Soo Nayoung."

The boy briefly looked around the froyo shop, seeming to deem it acceptable when he noticed the only other person there was the woman behind the counter - who was now in the back doing something to the machines since one of them was making a loud obnoxious noise.

Unhooking one of the ear loops from the surgical mask, his face was revealed. "I'm Lee Taemin." (AN: You don't know how tempted I was to end the chapter there haha)

Nayoung felt her jaw unhinge, looking at the bottom half of the man's face in disbelief. SHINee's maknae Lee Taemin is my mate?

"I did not expect that."

Taemin snorted, silent laughter rumbling through his shoulders. "I didn’t think you would. It's amazing that I finally got to meet you, I'm guessing you've just turned eighteen? I added an upgrade in the database so I would be alerted practically the second you were put in."

She nodded. "In my last year of high school."

"What do you plan to do after?"

She blinked, not expecting the question. "It's kind of embarrassing…"

"Go on," he smiled. "I won't judge you. I'm not even in College!"

Nayoung chuckled. "I don't know what I want to do. I've been looking into College's but I don't even know which to put down on a list of possible places since I don’t know what kind of major I'm looking for. Never mind thinking of a future career."

"You know, you don't have to think too much on it. You can be a housewife if you want to, as long as you're happy," Taemin's words were hesitant, not knowing how she would react to his words.

The shorter decided to take this as her chance to explain their relationship more fully. "About that… You see… I," she took a deep breath. "I don't believe in this whole soul mate thing."

He cocked an eyebrow. "What don't you believe?"

"That we have to be together, I find it kind of stupid. It's like my whole love life is already planned out for me. I don't like it. It's nothing personal against you, it's just that I don't like not having control of a huge aspect of my life… Do you understand?"

Nayoung cautiously watched the boys expressions, internally wincing when his face faced downwards.

She was about to ask if he was alright but she noticed his shoulders were moving. He was laughing!

Looking up, Taemin had a mischievous smile on his face. "Key-hyung told me today that it was going to be rather interested with how our tattoo's look like. Keep in mind Soo Nayoung, you will be mine. I'm always up for a challenge."