Chapter 4

Nature's Bliss Is My Curse

Watched: Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

 

"That's not happening," Nayoung's growl intensified when she saw the happy look on Taemin's face.

"We should!" he bounced over, eagerly grabbing her tiny hands in his own.

Nayoung was surprised when she felt a jolt rush through her body at the simple touch. Confused, she pulled away only to grab his hands again. She felt the jolt again. And so she did it again… and again… and aga-

"You felt that too?" Taemin's brown eyes were wide.

"No," she yanked her hands out of his grasp, hiding them behind her back. "I felt nothing."

His lips curved into a grin. "Are you lying to me Nayoungie?"

"Don't call me that! We're not friends!"

"No, but we're soul mates."

Nayoung blew him a raspberry. "Stop with the soul mate crap, it doesn’t work on me and you know it."

"So you won't go on a date with me?"

Before she could answer Sunmi literally jumped in. "She will!" Nayoung opened to retaliate but Sunmi jabbed her in the ribs. "When and where?"

Taemin brightly smiled. "Tomorrow, it's a Saturday so you don't have to worry about classes the next day. And I know the perfect place."

 

"Lotte World?"

The very next day Nayoung found herself on a date with Lee Taemin. Once again she had to be forcefully dragged by Sunmi, who also picked out her outfit. Originally she tried to get her in a brightly colored dress but at her expression Sunmi traded it for a navy sweater shirt, a pair of light blue jean shorts and white tennis shoes.

"I've always wanted to go, but it's difficult since I'm an idol," Taemin explained, the two getting in line to buy their tickets. "Since it's for you I decided what the hell and do it."

The tall boy wore a brown knitted beanie, a surgical mask, a tan long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans. Nayoung could practically feel the excitement oozing off of him, especially since he was hopping up and down in his converse sneakers.

"Wouldn't your label be upset with you?" she shivered at the thought of being involved in a scandal with him. There goes her privacy.

"You're my soul mate," he gently said. "My label can be harsh but even they understand the importance of finding your other half."

"Even if the other half doesn't want to?" she snorted.

Taemin dryly chuckled at the comment, but nodded. "That too."

When they reached the ticket counter, Taemin paid for two full-day tickets. Nayoung tried to pay for her own but Taemin was too fast. She settled with glaring at him, but Taemin was too proud of himself for being swift.

"So what do you want to ride first?" he slipped his hand into Nayoung's own. Usually she would have pulled away, but his hand just felt too nice and the jolt was pleasant.

"We should start outside first," she would never admit it, but Nayoung was really excited. She hasn't been to an amusement park in a very long time, and never Lotte World.

"Magic Island here we come!" Taemin happily pulled Nayoung behind him as he all but sprinted towards the exit.

Thanks to the idols rushing they were able to be towards the front of the line for Gyro Spin. "Do you like spinning rides?"

"I have no preference."

Taemin just smiled, at least she was replying to his questions. Soon, the two were strapped down into the large circle-shaped ride, being hurtled and spun simultaneously.

Most of the day became a blur for Nayoung, everything was going by so fast and she was actually enjoying herself. The lines were long but she was easily entertained by Taemin's antics. The boy was actually funny and easy to get along with. She hadn't been able to find someone so easy to talk to since Sunmi.

"You know…" Nayoung began as they walked through the exit of Lotte World. Taemin was surprised to hear her begin a conversation, eagerly listening in as he hoped she would say something positive about their date.

"I didn't expect it, but I enjoyed myself today." When Taemin beamed in response she quickly added, "Not that this is changing my thoughts on us being together. But I would like… for us to be friends."

"Friends," the idol repeated. He looked down in contemplation. After a minute he looked back up, a small smile on his face. "I'll accept that, for now."

Nayoung shook her head at the last two words. "You really aren't giving up are you?"

"Hell no."

The student couldn't help but chuckle at his words, swiftly hiding her growing smile behind her hand.

"I made you laugh~" Taemin sung, immensely proud of himself.

"Just this once!" she retorted.

"So what do you want to have for dinner?"

"Dinner?" Nayoung didn't even realize how late it was, the sky was rapidly darkening and her belly felt empty. There wasn't any good food at the amusement park, so they only ate a few snacks throughout their time there.

"I can't let my date go home hungry now can I?"

"It would be very ungentle men like of you," she smirked. "Surprise me."

Taemin's hand tightening on Nayoung's, who also didn't realize they were still holding hands, pulling her faster down the sidewalk. It wasn't that long of a walk until they entered a hot pot restaurant.

Luckily for Taemin it was the type of place you had to be seated, so he asked the hostess to put them in a booth that made it difficult for people to see them. After all, he couldn’t eat with a mask on.

After sitting down and ordering their meats the two made small talk.

"You never told me what school you go to," Taemin said, placing the cotton napkin on his lap.

"And you'll never find out, I know you're games. You'll unexpectedly show up and embarrass me."

Taemin faked a shock look, a hand over his heart. "I would never embarrass my soul mate!"

"Taemin-ssi, you're the master at embarrassing others."

"Stop with the -ssi," he wrinkled his nose. "We should be informal."

"Fine."

His eyes widened when she didn't put up a fight.

"What? I prefer being informal, it's less stressful."

Their waitress came back with the plate filled with raw thinly sliced meat and multiple vegetables, quickly leaving the two be without giving a second look to Taemin's now unmasked face. "This place is really good."

Nayoung didn't respond, instead pulling a slice of raw meat from the plate and holding it under the boiling pot in the center of the table, too eager to wait for the flavor filling vegetables.

Their conversation was comfortable, especially now since both felt free to use informalities. It was when Nayoung received a text message from her best friend that she noticed how late it was getting. Sunmi, upon hearing the date was going to happen, decided they would have a sleepover that night to give her all the dirty details. Sunmi's words not Nayoung's.

"I should be getting home," Nayoung spoke up, placing her chopsticks on top of the glass covered table.

"I'll bring you back, it wouldn't be right to have you take the bus alone at night."

Nayoung agreed, secretly hating to take public transportation alone.

"How long have you and Sunmi known each other?" Taemin asked, silently debating if he should wrap his arm around the shorter girls waist.

"Since Kindergarten," she replied, softly smiling at the thought of her best friend. "We've been through everything together really. She's my best friend and I would never trade her for anyone else, even if she is a bit much sometimes."

"But she cares for you," Taemin grinned.

"That she does," Nayoung softly giggled at a memory when the girls were seven years old. "But I still love her for it. It's what makes her so… her."

The idol nodded, understanding. "Sometimes my hyungs can be over bearing too. I debuted when I was really young so they still see me as a baby. It's hard for me to prove to them I've grown up, because I'll always be younger than them ya' know?"

"Sunmi says something like that about her and her older siblings," Nayoung pursed her lips. "I never really had any close oppa's or unnie's, and my siblings weren't home often."

"Really? You seem like the type to have a lot of them."

She shook her head, black hair billowing in the wind. "No, I stick to friends my age. But I do like talking with younger people, the respect is a nice change from the idiots in my class." She finished with a chuckle.

Taemin's arm abruptly shot out, stopping Nayoung in her tracks. She opened to ask him what he was doing but he shushed her, eyes zeroed in on a spot a few yards away from the duo. Nayoung caught a flicked in the darkness, her eyes widening when she realized what - or who - it was.

"Do we run?" Nayoung breathed, her heart clenching in fear.

"As fast as you possibly can."

Without warning, Taemin grabbed Nayoung's hand and sprinted down the street they just came down.

Behind them Nayoung heard a rush and high pitched screams along with multiple feet pounding on the ground.

"Don't look back!" Taemin yelled, looking over to see Nayoung was ready to turn her head. "If they get pictures of you, you're identity is compromised!"

Terrified, Nayoung ran as fast as her legs could carry her. Her hand holding onto Taemin's own with a death grip.