Chapter 1

Nature's Bliss Is My Curse

Watched: Wreck-It-Ralph

 

Today's the day. It's the day Soo Nayoung turns eighteen. Most people her age were ecstatic for this day, because it signaled the supposedly 'amazing' day you go to the Matchers Clinic and get catalogued in order to find your other half, your soul mate.

Nayoung hates the idea of a soul mate, she hates the idea that her destiny has already been chosen out for her. That she couldn’t find love in a more constructive way, that she was programmed to love someone she doesn’t even know.

Almost everyone on the planet rejoices at the thought of finding their other half and visibly blanch whenever Nayoung express her feelings. No one ever understood her and thought she was crazy.

And that is why her best friend was currently dragging her down the street to the Matchers Clinic, very much against her will.

"This is so stupid," Nayoung groaned, fruitlessly pulling at Sunmi's tight grip.

"No, it's not!" the taller frowned. "It's the law. You have to be catalogued otherwise you can get jail time!"

She rolled her eyes. "I don't think anyone has gotten jail time from not getting written down."

"It happened in Finland!"

"Well this isn't Finland!" Nayoung groaned when the door to the clinic came into view. "I really hate you for this."

"I still don't understand why you're so reluctant to find your soul mate. It's your soul mate, your other half for Christ's sake! You should be happy you're one step closer to finding him… or her. I don't judge," Sunmi finished with a cheeky smile.

Pulling her friend into the Matchers Clinic, Sunmi grabbed the clipboard for Nayoung to fill out her information.

"So how long do these things usually take?" Nayoung drawled out towards the woman at the front counter.

"It depends on the person, sometimes it can take as little as a few hours. Others take years, it all depends on if the other soul has been catalogued yet," she answered, snapping her gum.

"Hear that? You could even find out today!" Sunmi squealed, jumping up and down.

"Soo Nayoung," a tall woman with a white doctors coat called out, standing in the doorway to the examination rooms.

With a deep breath, and a hwaiting from Sunmi, Nayoung followed the doctor through the short hallway. The eighteen-year-old was led into a small, heavily disinfected, room. Hopping up on the table, wincing at the irritating noise of the paper loudly crinkling underneath her weight, Nayoung waited for the doctor to say something.

"I'm Dr. Lee," the doctor greeted, gently smiling. "It says you’re here today to be catalogued. Very exciting." Nayoung didn’t reply. "These days it's been made much easier, thanks to technology, to find your other half. After being catalogued you are added to a world-wide database which is constantly updated to insure the least amount of time to find your soul mate. As soon as we are told of a match we will either send a letter to your residence or I will get in direct contact with you via telephone and make a meeting for you to meet. I must stress though that there have been faults in the past, there is a 99.9% chance that if you are given a meeting that it will be your soul mate. Now, where is your mark?"

Shrugging off her shirt Nayoung turned her back to the doctor, knowing that the solid black five-pointed star encircled in a twisted rope on the back of her left shoulder. She remembers when she first showed it to Sunmi that she laughed saying it resembled a pentagram. Jerk.

"Interesting," the doctor whispered to herself. "I haven't seen a mark with a circle shape ever before."

Nayoung looked over her shoulder, holding her hair in her right hand so it wouldn't obscure the mark, to ask, "What's so great about a circle?"

"I'm sure you've heard before that the marks not only show who your soul mate is, but reveals their souls relationship. A circle means 'eternal', 'infinite' and even 'original perfection'. Only extremely strong couples have this symbol, and that added with the fact it's a rope - which is tightly wound representing the strength of the bond - you young lady are a one in a billion. It'll truly be an amazing day when you find your match," the older woman finished with a pride-filled smile.

The girl just wrinkled her brow, not knowing how to feel about that.

"So when did the mark appear?"

Nayoung hummed in thought. "Honestly, I don't remember not having it. My mom said I wasn't born with it but it appeared within my first month of life."

After the doctor took the needed pictures, jotted down some notes and asked some more questions, Nayoung was free to go. The doctor wished her the best of luck and she was stuck with a hyper Sunmi.

"So what did she say?!"

"Something about being one in a billion?" Nayoung shrugged, really wanting some ice cream. "It has to do with the circle you always made fun of me for."

The others jaw dropped, eyes wide. "Of course you are the one that gets the most perfect match. I can't wait to be catalogued!"

"You shouldn't be," she grumbled, spotting an ice cream parlor a block away. "Just the word 'catalogued' makes me feel like cattle. The whole thing is stupid."

"No, you're stupid for saying that."

"You and I both know that it doesn't always end in true love. Don't you remember the story of the couple in Thailand that had such a loose bond one of them ended up killing the other?"

Sunmi grimaced at the memory, the story made international history. It was the one fear everyone in the world shared, that their mate and they wouldn’t have a strong bond. It rarely happens, but when it does the world feels like it turned upside down. It was absolutely horrifying to find out that someone's other half could possibly cause harm to them.

You may wonder why those couples just don't leave each other. See, it's not that easy when dealing with soul mates. No matter what the relation they are still half of your soul, but there are some souls that just can't connect the same way as others. It's these bonds that lead to obsession, you can't just leave the other half of your soul. Your entire being craves for that other person in a way that is unexplainable.

"What was their symbol again?" Nayoung wondered aloud, opening the door to the ice cream parlor for her best friend.

"An arrow," Sunmi giggled, hiding her smile behind her hand.

She rolled her eyes, walking up to the counter to order herself a birthday cake with gummy worms and hot fudge in a waffle cone.

When the duo collected their ice creams they sat at a table on the far wall. The cheery music and colors doing nothing to help Nayoung's mood.

"So what would you do if they find your other half?" Sunmi asked, taking a gracious scoop of cold ice cream from her bowl to plop it in .

"I don't know… I don't think I could just turn down a meeting. I guess I'd have to go, but I'll explain to them I want nothing," she shrugged, resting her chin on her fist.

"What if they don't take it well?"

"Well, if the relationship is the way the doctor made it sound I don't think they would be able to raise a fist to me."

"If the relationship is how she described I don't think you could just walk away," Sunmi smirked. The one thing she wanted to see most in the world was her best friend falling for her soul mate. It would be the best payback of all time, and she would be able to do her infamous 'haha I was right!' dance.

"Then I won't meet eyes," she scooped up some ice cream, picking up a cold gummy worm with her fingers to add it to the spoon.

"Do sunglasses help?"

"Maybe-" Nayoung was cut off when a CNBlue song cut into the air. Biting her spoon to keep it in , Nayoung patted at her school jacket to find her phone. Finally retrieving it, she put it up to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Is this Soo Nayoung?"

"This is she, who's this."

"Oh wonderful! This is Dr. Lee, we met not too long ago." Nayoung's eyes widened in shock at hearing the doctors voice, especially so soon. She couldn't have gotten results that fast could she? Not being able to find words the doctor took her silence as her to continue.

"I am ecstatic to tell you that we may have found your match!"

Nayoung would have dropped the phone if it wasn't for her best friends quick reflexes, holding the phone next to her ear.

"R-really?" she gulped, her heart pounding in a way she's never felt before.

"Yes! Would you like to set up a meeting? I've called you before I've contacted his doctor, I was just too excited to find your mate so quickly, so do you want me to get back to you afterwards? Or do you want to give me a general time now?"

Furiously blinking Nayoung shook her head, then remembering the doctor couldn’t see her she said, "Ah, no, whatever works for him."

With a few more words Nayoung hung up, blankly looking at her slowly melting ice cream.

"Who was it?" Sunmi asked, placing the phone on the table.

"The doctor… she said she found my mate."