Chapter 3

Friends, Lovers or Nothing

 

 

[Dara’s POV]

 

I think the luck is on our side. We found a cheap rent-to-own studio type place near at Myeongdong. It will be better if it’s within Myeongdong but who am I kidding. That’s the shopping district. Renting a place there will really cost us a lot. Ahhh I should be thankful for having this place. It’s perfect!

 

We did some re-building of the place. Did some re-painting and put up designs here and there. It’s huge enough to have a little photo shoot area that we put in one corner of the unit. At the far end corner beside the photo shoot area, we put up a vanity mirror for the make-up artist to do her magic. We decided to hire Minzy, mine and Bom’s common friend. She is still a college student but she’s doing some freelance to support her studies. We put up tables in the other corner of the unit what will serve as our working stations. Set up some shelves for the materials and cloths that we will be using. I insisted on buying a huge cork board so I can use it for brain storming and put up my designs. We bought few mannequins too. We also have the receiving area where we can entertain our customers. It’s separated by a removable wall panels but you’ll be able to see what’s happening behind the scenes of the fashion world.

 

“This so exciting!” I enthusiastically said.

 

“You bet partner!” Bom agreed.

 

Both of us admiring our own cozy studio. This will be our second home. The fruit of sweats and hard work. This is so heart warming that I want to cry.

 

“Both of you are such a drama queen.”

 

*Click* *Click*

 

You don’t need to guess who arrived. Me and Bom turned around to see Jiyong with beers and take-home ordered chicken. He wants to celebrate. Thanks to this guy’s brilliant idea we came up with this own business.

 

I heard the door shut indicating someone has arrived. I wonder who it is. Did Bom told someone already about our soon to operate business?

 

“Annyeong!” We were greeted by the bubbly Nana. You know Jiyong’s girlfriend.

 

She’s so beautiful. No wonder Jiyong fell for her. Despite being 3 years younger than Ji – so that makes me and Nana 7 years apart, her body built is much of a full grown woman. You know what I mean by FULL grown woman right?

 

“Annyeong Nana-ssi!” Me and Bom greeted her with delight. Even though we wanted to hate her for always dragging Jiyong when we are hanging out, we can’t. She’s his girlfriend and we have to respect that. But sometimes she’s really a party pooper!

 

I remember last year, it was my birthday. Me, Bom and Ji promised to hang out at the R&B club that night. Bom and I waited for Ji at the club and both of us started drinking and even dance because Ji is taking too long. Its way past midnight and my birthday is over so me and Bom decided to go home. That’s the only time the great Jiyong decided to call us. Me and Bom are both tipsy so I didn’t really get to understand what Jiyong is trying to say. What I understand that time was ‘Nana’ ‘important’ ‘can’t go’. And those are enough for me to understand that she is important than me his best friend.

 

He just met that Nana girl last year! Bom and I are surprised to see her with Jiyong. We asked them if they are together and no one admit nor deny. Youngsters this day, tsssk are they up for a no strings attach thing? But she’s so clingy for that set up. She’s always with Jiyong that time and that irks the hell out of me. She’s stealing my best friend!

 

“Dara-ssi, have some chicken, here.” Nana offered me a piece of chicken part that she put on a plate which I gladly accepted. We were in the corner in front of the photo shoot area in our unit. We put up spare table here in case of times like this.

 

“So grumpy Dara, are your designs ready?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Yeah. I just finished earlier before going here. I didn’t even get to sleep!” I’m pretty good at complaining about how I love to procrastinate.

 

“Told you, you should’ve just focused on that. You really love procrastinating do you?” He knows me too well. I hate him.

 

“Yeah! Yeah! You know me, inspiration pours when time calls.”

 

“You better go home early and get some rest. Leave your designs here and Bom can start working on them.” Jiyong suggested. Wait, more like instructed.

 

“What?! Yah Jiyong! That’s unfair. Me alone?” Bom complained.

 

“Yeah, it’s quite unfair. I’ll stay for a little longer.” I suggested.

 

“No! Nana will help her.” Ji insisted.

 

“I will?” Nana who’s amused at our argument suddenly got surprised at Jiyong’s orders.

 

“Yes you will.” Finality can be heard in his voice.

 

What’s up with that guy ordering us around? As much as I know, it is me and Bom who owns this business. And even though I’m not fond of his girlfriend, why does he need to drag the poor girl in this?

 

“Ji, Nana might be busy. And maybe she doesn’t know what to do.” I said.

 

“Nana is good at following instructions and orders. She do know something about fashion because she was once a fashion student.” Tsssk he really knows his girlfriend. But this is the first time I’m hearing this. Nana was once a fashion student.

 

“Was once?” I asked. Hey I’m curious you know.

 

“Yeah.” Nana sheepishly smiled. Aww she’s getting shy.

 

“I took up fashion designing but I couldn’t afford to continue. I tried working while studying but my grades are dropping so I just stopped.” She explained. So young to give up for her dreams.

 

“So what are you doing now if you’re not studying?” This might be the chance to get to know her more.

 

“I’m working as..”

 

“She’s working as a part time waitress. She sometimes comes with me to assist me on some photo shoots.” Jiyong butted in.

 

“And this conversation is over. And you need to go home. Let’s go.”

 

Jiyong stood up and so did I. There’s no use in arguing. I’m also tired so might as well take this chance to rest. We were heading towards the door when we heard Nana.

 

“Jiyong! Don’t forget later at 8. You and I need to go somewhere.” Nana reminded Jiyong.

 

Must be a date. I thought to myself.

 

“Yeah! I know. You keep on reminding me that for about 4 times now.”

 

“Just making sure you won’t ditch me this time. Take care on your way. Text me once you dropped her home safely.” Nana said energetically.

 

“Annyeong Dara-ssi. Take care! Oh! Can I ask you a favor?” asked Nana. What is it this time?

 

“Sure! What is it?” Can I be a drama actress? Her bubbliness is draining my energy.

 

“Can you make sure our Jiyong here will leave your place in time so he won’t be late for later.” Nana said smiling. Such a sweet girl. Jiyong is sure lucky to have her.

 

“Yeah sure! Once he dropped me at my place I’ll shoo him away like a chicken.” I joked.

 

“You’re really funny Dara-ssi. I like you. I hope we can be friends. Bye!”

 

Nana returned to where Bom is. What makes her think we weren’t friends yet? Am I that obvious? Did Jiyong told her that I hated her last year and I can’t bring myself to like her? Well not until now. I think I like her as Jiyong’s girlfriend.

 

“You and Nana did a pretty good job talking about me as if I’m not there.” Jiyong said as we are walking out to where his car is.

 

“Oh! You were there?” I joked

 

“Haha! Funny.”

 

Jiyong went to the passenger’s side to open the door for me. He is such a gentleman despite being a jerk most of the time.

 

“Gentleman as always.” I complimented.

 

He walked to the other side and settled himself in the driver’s seat.

 

“You picking up Nana later after you drop me off?”

 

“Maybe. Maybe not. It actually depends.”

 

“Depends on what?” I looked at him. How could he? Not a gentleman at all.

 

“Depends if I’ll be leaving your place early.” He looked back smiling then turned back on the road.

 

Jiyong and I are becoming too close. It’s natural coz we’re best friends. But I think Nana is not comfortable with this kind of set up. She’s the one who’s supposed to be in this passenger’s seat not me. What am I doing here? What are you doing here Dara?

 

“Yah!” Jiyong tapped my knees to get my attention.

 

“You scared me! What?!”

 

“What are you thinking D?”

 

“Nothing.” I dismissed not liking where my thoughts are going.

 

Luckily Jiyong let it passed. And surprisingly the whole drive way home is quiet. Not awkwardly quiet but more of comforting.

 


 

We arrived at my place and he with his very usual and bad habit, he went up with me to my unit.

 

“Tsssk. You and your bad habits. Don’t you wait for any invitation before coming into someone’s place?” I jokingly said.

 

“Believe me when I say every girl’s home is very much open for me to crash in.”

 

“Go away! Take your cockiness with you.” I shoooo him away to the door.

 

“I’m just joking D! Move aside I’m hungry. What’s for dinner?” Jiyong said as he made himself feel at home.

 

“Since you’re very much feel at home, why not use that brain of yours and come up with a dinner for the both of us while I go to my room and change?” Since he’s here why not make use of him. Hahahaha!

 

“Wow! You’re sounding like a boss now.”

 

“I am a boss mind you!”

 

I entered my room and I heard sounds coming from the kitchen. My unit is not big at all. Suited for one person and its cheap too. I’m so practical.

 

I took my time and took a quick shower to remove the dirt and hoping to remove my stress too. I went straight to the kitchen thinking the dinner is ready. I settled myself in my small table and waited for Jiyong.

 

“Ta-dah!” He said as he opened the casserole.

 

“With that brain of yours, I’m not surprised that it’s ramen.” I sarcastically said.

 

“Yah! Just be thankful. Let’s eat!”

 

We ate our dinner and no it doesn’t went peacefully. Ji is eating too much taking up some of my portion of that ‘dinner’.

 

“I still can’t believe you ate my remaining ramen! I just left to answer some call and as the call ended my dinner too!” I shouted at his face. We are watching TV this time. He’s laying at my couch, his head on my lap. It’s always been like this. Our usual routine when he hangs out here on weekends.

 

“Shut up! I already bought you chips so eat!” He retorted as he get a piece of chips and shoving it to my mouth.

 

“Yah! Iumtoing” I said as I munched the chip in my mouth.

 

“What? Don’t talk when you’re eating.”

 

“I said I’m talking! Why did you suddenly shove a chip in my mouth?”

 

“That’s because you’re talking. You’re too noisy.” He replied as he got up, turning off the TV at the same time.

 

“Where are you going? You going home already?” I asked.

 

“I need to put you to bed if I don’t want to hear another set of nagging from Nana later.”

 

Oh yeah I forgot. He and Nana have a date later.

 

“Come on. Let’s go to bed.”

 

“I’m not a child anymore. In fact I’m older than you. You can go now.” I said while pouting.

 

“How can I leave if my best friend is pulling off a pout on me? Come on.” He pulled me inside my room to my bed.

 

He lay down beside me and his side to face me.  I keep looking up like the ceiling is the most interesting scenery right now. When did we became this close? I thought to myself.

 

“What are you thinking now D?” He asked.

 

“Nothing.” I said and faked a yawn.

 

“Come here. Sleep.” He said as he pull me closer to him trapping me in his arms. Too comforting yet too frightening. I shouldn’t feel this way.

 

“Sleep now little tokki.” He my hair making me sleepier.

 

“Thanks Ji, thanks for being my best friend.” I said as I scooted closer to him. Feeling his warm. How I loathed the word best friend right now.

 

“You’re always welcome D.” He answered as he placed a light kiss on my forehead.

 

It feels so right yet it feels so wrong.

 

“I hope we can stay like this forever.”

 

I heard him say before exhaustion and sleep consumed me.

 

He wanted to be best friends forever.

 


 

So how was it?

Do you like the update?

Promote this story juseyo~ ^________^

Please keep reading and drop some comments too!

Share your thoughts.. 

Thanks

-- unknownkwon