Bittersweet.

Wistful Thinking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

▍ ▎CHAPTER 9: Bittersweet.

 

“ Our first date was sweet

like Caramel Macchiato...

...Those feelings went down
like dripping Espresso. “

-Coffee, BTS

 

○ ○ ○

 

[ Bomi ]

I stretched out my arms and let out a yawn. It was already past midnight and we've been brainstorming ideas for straight three hours now.

"Why do you have to go to Japan?" I grunted then gave Ilhoon a glare.

He laughed. "I'm sorry, okay. Blame the company not me, noona."

This was basically the reason why The Weekly Idol staff, including us: me, Ilhoon and Hayoung, were gathered at the Cube's Café tonight. We were trying to form ideas on how to make up for Ilhoon's absence. I personally recommend Hayoung to be his replacement and gratefully, they agreed. That was the reason why Hayoung was here. She was reading the script and Ilhoon was helping her out. Meanwhile, me and the other staffs were trying to formulate stuff to make the show more fun. I suggested I dress up as Ilhoon for a day—not overdoing things though—just tying my hair up into a bun and wearing boyish clothes. They thought the idea was cute so they once again agreed.

I slumped back on my seat, starting to feel drowsy. Coffee wasn't helping at all. I probably had more than two cups now and it still wasn't kicking in. I downed another cup and got more unsatisfied. "Ah, who wants coffee?" I raised my hand and looked around. Everyone did after me. I stifled a laugh then nodded once before standing up. "Alright. Coffee for everyone coming right up!"

Some staffs laughed a bit. Some stayed focused on work.

I noticed Hayoung stand up and I immediately ordered her to sat down.

"But unnie..." She started with her suggestion. "Can you carry all those cups of coffee? It'll be heavy. I can help you out."

Good point. "But I can handle it myself. I'm stronger than how I look, Hayoung-ah. Besides, focus on your script will you? We have until morning to memorize."

She hesitated. Still, followed her older sister's orders.

I smiled at her then reached out to ruffle her hair.

She pouted cutely and I couldn't stop myself from pinching her cheeks. "Aigoo. Ilhoon-ah, help her out 'kay? I'll be back."

"Aye, aye Captain!" Ilhoon gave me a playful salute and as crazy as I, I straightened my body and returned it before marching towards the door.

I could hear Hayoung laugh but I held mine in until I closed the door behind me. We were situated on a special meeting room that only the Cube staffs and workers could use so it was private. At least someone wouldn't see me laughing in there and think I'm completely out of my mind.

When my laughter finally died down, I sauntered towards the Café. The relaxing smell of coffee warmly greeted me and I couldn't help but inhale more of the scent through my nostrils. I skipped through the rest of the way, stopping just right in front of the counter. I propped my chin with my hands, my elbows rested onto the counter's table.

"Let me guess, Iced Americano for three?" The female barista with the name Eunhee came in front of me with a sarcastic smile on her face. She was busily wiping off a wet cup with her hands.

I giggled then shook my head.

"Then what?" She immediately stopped from what she was doing. The sarcasm was replaced with straight forward annoyance.

"For eight. Iced Americano for eight." I answered with a wide grin.

Her shoulders dropped as she heaved out a heavy huff. "Seriously—"

I let out all aegyo I had reserved for that day and she groaned, almost throwing the cup at me. In reflex, I quickly lowered myself down, shielding the lower half of my head with the table.

When she finally composed herself, she went back to preparing all Iced Americano I ordered.

I immediately relaxed, straightening myself back up and waited on my spot. You might think that this Eunhee hates me but seriously, she's just too denial to admit that she loves me. I'm a regular at the Café. Of course all Cube artists are but I came too often on Eunhee's shift that we somehow grew close to each other. She never treated idols like us special. It was the same for everyone. And that was what I liked the most about her. She was just honest and open. Though some may find that rude, I, on the otherhand, find that admirable. People these days are just too deceitful to be honest. When they see you had such high rank on the society, they'd use that fact to hoist theirselves. You'd think they were being nice to you but the truth is, they are just using you. And when you're of no use to them anymore, they'd simply bash you and throw you out. Believe me. I had such experience.

Preparing the coffee must be taking so long that I started to get bored. I turned myself away from Eunhee's busy hands and leaned on the counter. I studied my surroundings. Like usual, the Café was nearly empty tonight. There wasn't much to see except for the symmetrically arranged chairs and tables, walls decored with framed artists' signatures and Cube's memoranda, and four or more customers lounging inside. They were all busy tinkering with their laptops and smartphones and I was slightly thankful. If they were to notice me, things might get pretty ugly and disturbing so it's best to keep things this way.

There was this one customer who caught my attention though. He seemed lifeless, almost not breathing if you won't squint your eyes enough to see his back moving in an upward and downward rhythm. He was probably sleeping. His arms were spread tiredly onto the table and his cap, it was placed on his face to cover it up.

"He's a regular." Suddenly, Eunhee leaned over the table. Her head appearing on my side.

"Who is?" I gave her a confused look, tilting my head to look at her.

"That guy over there." She pointed the guy I was looking at earlier.

"He is? Why don't I see him everytime I'm here?" I furrowed my eyebrows, scanning my mind for possible instances I might have seen him.

"Oh, he was missing for awhile. I heard on the news that he and his group went for a Concert Tour." She casually answered, even shrugging her shoulders. Then, she went back to preparing the coffee. A few already done and placed on the tray.

"Concert Tour?" My eyes doubled in size and I unconsciously gulped. "He's an idol?"

Eunhee stared back at me and gave me a weird look, as if I should know who that guy she was talking about. "Uh-huh? He's from a popular boy group duh."

I blinked furiously, trying to process everything she have said.

"He's a friend of Taemin's." She paused real quick, "I've seen him hanging out with Taemin and Naeun last time."

"Really? But Naeun doesn't have guy friends..."

She lightly smacked my head with a teaspoon and I glared up at her. "I said he's Taemin's. Not Naeun's. What more did you not understand, pabo?"

I hissed, my mouth twitching in distaste.

"Why don't you get to know him yourself? Approach. Go!" She pushed me off the counter and I stumbled forward.

However, my feet scrambled back in opposition. My mouth soon opened to take its part. "Why would I?"

"Because... he's been asking questions about you lately." She teasingly wiggled her eyebrows and I leaned away, scrunching my face in disgust. "At first, he would try to act so cool and casually ask if you're here but as time passed, he would ask questions more than that. Like, how do you like your coffee or who do you usually come with when you're here... you know, stuff like that."

I blinked. This was supposed to make me feel fluttery but why was I feeling weird? "Yah." I snapped at her as an idea struck me. "What if he's just a sasaeng disguised as an idol? Did you not consider that?!"

"He's too good looking to be a sasaeng." She snapped back. "Besides," She carried the tray with cups of Iced Americano and placed it on the counter, pushing it towards me. "Did you forgot the fact that he's friends with Taemin and he met Naeun? How many times do I have to remind you, Yoon Bomi?!" She shouted at me with equal intensity and I could clearly see she was starting to get infuriated.

I inwardly smacked my head. Stupid. Then, reached through my pocket to give my payment.

She snatched the bills from my hand and punched a few keys on the cash register. "Now go. I made an extra drink in there. Give it to him. I forgot. He actually asked for you earlier and I may have told him you're here so he waited. Sorry." She raised one hand while giving me a tight, apologetic smile.

I scoffed. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I said I forgot." She lazily answered then lifted the tray to pass it onto my hands. "Now go."

Taking in a deep breath, I carefully made my way towards. If he is an idol, meeting him here would clearly be a very bad idea. Especially if he's from a popular idol group. I can imagine the fans' rude comments on the internet and I silently let out a sigh.

"Excuse me." It would be rude to just take one of his seats so I tried waking him up first. I cleared my throat loudly when he didn't give any response and I felt the other customers snap their heads in my direction. I immediately hid my face from them.

Since when did the Cafe become a library?

Trying out once more, I called out for him again but this time, with a gentle kick on his foot. "Excuse me."

He finally stirred, yawning before removing the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter