Rain.

Wistful Thinking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

▍ ▎CHAPTER 4: Rain.

 

“ No matter how hard I run,  

 The sun was always overhead. “

-Escaping the Sun, Rain

 

 

 ○ ○ ○

 

[ Baekhyun ]

 

"Yah! Students!" I heard our PE teacher's whistle cut through the silent hallway in an attempt to make us stop. We didn't though. In fact, we increased our speed and ran all we can.

Bomi was behind me, struggling to catch up. When I noticed she was about to give up, I instantly grabbed her hand and pulled her along with me.

Thank God, Mr. Kang was a heavy guy. If it wasn't for that, we would have been caught and I would have been dead meat. I took a glance behind and saw him there, breathing so hard with his hands on his knees supporting himself. I laughed quietly. The adrenaline rushing through me felt hella good. I heard Mr. Kang's warnings once more. I would lie if I say I wasn't scared but it's Bomi's special day and I'll do just about everything to make her happy on this day.

As we safely passed through the school's gate and into the bustling streets, I started to slow down. I didn't let my guard down though. The possibility of getting into danger was higher now that we're off the school grounds and aren't in protection of the guards or any other faculty. Feeling responsible, I completely slowed down into a walking pace and held Bomi's hand tightly as ever. Which reminded me, I didn't even hear her complain all throughout. Without looking at her, I stopped on my track. When I noticed she did so too, I finally turned around and was greeted by her exhausted and beet red face. My face instantly scrunched up and I took a step forward to cup her face, examining it with much worry.

"Are you alright?"

She simply nodded. Her breathing was still unstable.

"Do you want to rest for awhile?"

She shook her head in response. "We'd be late for the concert. We can't miss that." Her voice was hoarse. It was as if she dried out from running.

I sighed. Then, rummaged through my backpack to get my water bottle. I pushed it onto her and ordered her to drink.

She didn't complain and quickly emptied the bottle. I guess my assumption was right after all. Letting out a relieved sigh, she wiped the beads of sweat cluttered on her forehead then gave me an appreciative smile. "Thank you." She tiptoed a bit to lightly smack the empty bottle on my head.

I glared at her but in a joking kind of way.

She laughed and I had the slightest bit of strength to stop myself from pinching her cheeks.

Determined to give her the best day she could ever have, I decided to give her a special treatment and crouched down. My back was positioned in front of her so she couldn't see my face, silently thankful by the fact as I was already feeling my cheeks heat up. I had to do it though. If we wanted to arrive on time, we should run as fast as we can. Bomi didn't look like she was in condition to do yet so this is basically why I'm giving the offer.

"Hop on." Needless to say more, I motioned her to do it with a reassuring smile.

She hesitated and frowned at me. "I'm heavy."

"I'm stronger than you think, Bbom. Trust me." When she was still glued on her spot, I made the initiative to pull her arms down and let it hang on my shoulders. Next, I positioned myself in between her legs and looped my arms on each. When I was ready enough, I stood up ever so carefully with her on my back. My bag hanging loosely in front and truthfully, it was hard but I got to do it. Or else, we'll be missing the train to Seoul.

They had to be there. He had to give Bomi the best day of her life. He had to make her happy. She deserves to be.

"Are you ready? I'm gonna run, Bbom. Hang on tight, yeah?" I slightly tossed her to position her better. When she rested her chin on my shoulder and loosely yet securely wrapped her arms around me, I took that as a go signal and immediately went for a run. The noisy streets seem to get a tad bit more noisier with Bomi's shrieks and laughs.

 

○ ○ ○

 

The trip to Seoul was pretty fast. We arrived in a matter of minutes or hours I actually didn't count for I slept all throughout in exhaustion. On the other hand, Bomi gathered her energy back and she was looking slightly better now than earlier. I found out she hadn't eaten anything since morning. She woke up late with all the celebration she and her family had right after midnight and was in a rush to even take breakfast. Lunch break didn't help too  as she was slumped with homework she should've done yesterday night.

I sighed. Typical Bomi. When will you ever change? When will you turn into a dazzling, grown up swan?

Too immersed in my thoughts, I was startled and brought to life by the sudden eruption of flames. For once I thought it would eat the whole stage up but for some reason, it didn't. I clutched my chest and breathed in heavily. The whole place was heated up though. Thousands of fans have gathered for Rain's concert and the whole arena was b with screaming and crying ladies and even gents, like myself of course. I had to cringe on my seat when finally the main star came out exquisitely on stage and kicked off with his famous song 'Escaping the Sun'.

Bomi was ecstatic. She jumped up and shrieked the moment she saw Rain. It was too loud that I actually think I broke my eardrums. I groaned, starting to feel dizzy with the loud, crazy atmosphere.

Luckily for me, I got used to it after a few moments and was able to survive until the end. I even sang along to his songs with Bomi dancing beside me. It was pretty much fun and entertaining. Not bad for a guy who doesn't enjoy stuff like this as much as a Girls' Generation concert.

"Had fun?" Walking out, I asked an extremely drenched yet happy Bomi.

She sighed dreamily. The smile she wore all throughout the concert was still on her face. She slowly nodded before speaking, "So much. This was the best day ever! Baekhyun-ah, thank you!"

Unexpectedly, she wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me into a tight hug. I was unable to return it with her arms restraining me so I simply patted her back, breaking into a huge grin. "Why are you thanking me though? It was your parents who bought the tickets."

"But it was you who did everything just so we could arrive at the supposed time." She broke the hug and for a second, I was surely slightly disappointed. "You have been really nice to me. Ah, how I wish everyday's my birthday." She joked while bringing her arms up to cross it on her chest.

I laughed and this time,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter