Reminisce.

Wistful Thinking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

▍ ▎CHAPTER 5: Reminisce.

 

“ You gave me the happiest heart rush in my life,  

 Even now those times are beautifully painful. “

-Memories, Infinite

 

 

 ○ ○ ○

 

[ Baekhyun ]

"What?! You're in Seoul?" A flabbergasted Bomi screamed through the phone and I couldn't hold my laughter in.

"Oh." I answered while rubbing my nape, suddenly feeling embarrassed. All people have their eyes on me now. Either because of my weird dialect or Bomi's loud shrieking. "Yah. Keep it low, will you?" I whispered as I turned myself away from their judging stares.

"How can I keep it low?!" She screamed once more and I had to pull the phone away from me. "You didn't tell me you'd audition! I thought we're all in this together, Baek! Why are you leaving me behind?" She let out dramatic sobs and sniffs but judging by the intensity and loudness of her voice, I knew she was faking it. After all these years, I've somehow known her from head to toe. I know what her every action or word means. Sometimes, I can even tell what she was thinking. With just one single meeting of our eyes, I immediately know what to do.

I rolled my eyes then brought the phone back close to my ear. "Stop faking it. I'll buy you ice cream on my way back."

She squealed, probably delighted. "You are the best, Baekhyun-ah! Good luck! I have a feeling you'll nail it. You'll get in! Don't forget about me when you become an idol, alright?"

I laughed loudly and when realization hit that I was in a public place, stiffened, shut my mouth, and awkwardly cleared my throat while stealing side glances. "Don't be silly, Bbom. It's not that easy. Anyway, I have to go now. It's almost my turn." I whiffed a smell of strong perfume as I took in a shaky breath and it got me more nauseated.

On the other line, Bomi briefly silenced herself. When she spoke again, her tone was suprisingly calmer. "Do your best, mm? I believe in you. Fighting!"

I can imagine her fist pumping from Gyeonggi-do and the thought made me smile in an instant. My worries were all replaced by her smiling, cute figure. "Thank you, Bbom-ah. Will do! You do your best in listening too, okay? Don't fall asleep in class!"

"Says the one who's skipping school!" She retorted, snorting and I once again laughed.

Feeling more at ease, I silently thanked her for the last time then dropped the call to fall back on the auditionees' line.

The girl who I asked to save my place smiled at me and I returned it with my own. She looked really young but as what I've heard during her practice introductions, she was a year older. She was pretty too, with slightly chubby cheeks, long hair, side fringe, and round, dark colored eyes. 

For a moment, I thought she slightly resembles Bomi. They probably had the same weight and height. Her habit was that one of hers too: picking hands. She seemed simple and approachable with a casual outfit, a green shirt paired with sweatpants and rubber shoes. If Bomi was only here, I'm pretty sure they'd be mistaken as twins. They pretty much share the same fashion style after all.

I sighed, suddenly feeling homesick. I wanted to go back as soon as I can and spend time with Bomi. As annoying as she may get, I still somehow feel comfortable and calm around her. She just has that special effect, making people feel at home.

"Your girlfriend?" Out of a sudden, the girl from earlier stirred in her position and looked at me. The curiousity and innocence in her eyes were visible. Though she had pretty young visual, her voice was slightly raspy and I had to lean closer to hear her. "Was that your girlfriend?"

I dug my mind for possible people she might have seen coming with me on my way here but I couldn't think of anyone. My family was back in Gyeonggi-do and even so, isn't my Mom and Grandma too old to be my girlfriend? I tipped my head to the side, furrowing my eyebrows as I couldn't comprehend what she actually meant.

She giggled, her eyes disappearing into tiny slits. "The one who called you just now?"

"Ah," I slapped my forehead and she giggled once more. "No, she isn't." This time, It was my turn to break into a soft laugh.

She hummed and bobbed her head in response. Her lips were pursed when she did so and she had this judging look as if she wasn't convinced. "But you like her, right?"

"Huh? How can you say so?" I challenged.

"Well..." She trailed off while tilting her head. She was probably giving it a serious thought. "Your wallpaper's a picture of you with a girl. I'm guessing that's her, right? I would have mistaken her as your sister but then, her nameplate was pretty visible. 'Yoon' and 'Byun' are of course different surnames. Besides, I can tell that picture was cropped. There was an arm hanging on her shoulder. It couldn't have been yours because you had both on your sides and she clung on one of it. The way you laughed on the phone earlier was different too. It was hearty. Pretty much showing how you enjoy the person on the other line's company. And the fact that you took the phone call even if your number is about to be called gives it."

Wow. I didn't expect her to be this observant and logical. If she's lucky enough to get in, she'd probably make into a great leader.

"I nailed it, didn't I?" Her shoulders shook as she laughed and I swore I felt my cheeks burn with that. She probably felt how I was getting uncomfortable so she stopped. "I'm sorry." She flashed me a sheepish smile before continuing, "But that's really cute. Did you confess?"

Seriously.

She says something but does otherwise.

Aren't you feeling sorry? If you are, then you should stop making me feel uncomfortable with your personal questions!

Fortunately, the voice blaring through the speakers saved me from the sticky situation. It caught everyone's attention. They were now calling out the numbers for the next batch. I waited for mine to be called but it stopped right after the number before me. I breathed out the air I was holding in and slumped back on my seat.

All the people occupying the seats before me stood up. Along with the girl I was talking to a few seconds ago. She deeply inhaled. Then exhaled with a nod, mumbling encouragements to herself. I would have cheered her on but she beat me to it. "Fighting!" She pumped her fist and grinned at me before starting to walk off. However, she stopped mid-way.

Confused, I straightened myself. My eyebrows were furrowing. "You forgot something?"

She turned around and rather beamed at me. "Mm, I forgot to clear something. That 'fighting' wasn't for the audition."

"Huh?"

"It was for your confession. Good luck!" And with that, she left to follow the others.

I stayed on my seat, dumbfounded but mostly amused.

 

 ○ ○ ○

 

[ Bomi ]

"Bbom-ah, you don't really want to talk to him?" I heard Chorong-unnie inquire from the kitchen. The sound of pouring water followed right after and I silently hoped her question would just flow along with it to the sink, to the pipes and to wherever the currents go.

I didn't answer and pretended to not hear. I know how unnie hates to be ignored but I seriously just didn't feel like answering. It's not like I know what I actually want too.

I heaved out a sigh and dropped my head to the table when out of nowhere, a banana peel came flying towards me and hit the back of my head with a loud slap. I groaned from the contact, immediately raising my head and glared to the direction where I felt it came from.

Chorong-unnie was now standing a few meters away. Her chin proudly tilted upwards and her hands propped onto her sides. As if she was challenging me into a fight, she rolled up her sleeves and cracked her knuckles. 

I scoffed in disbelief and though I was slightly frightened, mustered all my courage to raise my chin up high and push my hair onto my back. "Why? Huh? What did I do?"

"Yah." She was now walking towards me and my tough act instantly crashed down into small fragments. My reflex failed me as I started crawling backwards, kicking the carpet and all things my feet would pass into just to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter