Ninth Bloom

Late Bloomer
 

 

 ninth bloom

{where dreams could come true...partially}

 

 

Minseok's lips felt nice, Luhan thought as he pressed harder, taking the bottom lip between his, tugging it, it, having a taste of those blood-colored succulent lips. It was a total heavena ing A+ bunny mansion kind of paradise. And it was just lips alone. He just couldn't imagine what Minseok tasted like inside his mouth, or his cheeks, or his neck, or his pe

       "Wake up, you lazy !" Not expecting it, there's a pillow hitting him square in the face. He promptly sat up when the sound of gong just right beside his ear made him temporarily deaf. Luhan was ready to open his eyes to kill whoever was bringing him to this morning hell when he felt a cold gush of water being poured over him harshly. And what was that?! His head was also hit by huge chunks of ice. Damn, they didn't even use cubes. 

       "Leave me alone!" he shouted, causing the ice to land inside his mouth. "Go away, Chen! I'm going to kill you."

       "How did you know it was me?" Chen asked as he went down from standing on Luhan's bed, an empty bucket in his hand. Luhan just sent him a deathly glare. Chen put the bucket down before diving to his friend's already soaking wet bed, and give him a hug. "Anyhow, thanks for the gift! You're the best of all the best friends I have."

       "You only have one best friend," Luhan deadpanned. "And what gift? When did I send you a gift?"

       "This one: me pouring an ice bucket to wake you up. It's enough as a birthday gift. I love you," Chen cooed, enclosing Luhan in another bone crushing hug.

       'Birthday?' Luhan asked himself. He bit his lip. He forgot it was Chen's birthday about a week ago. No wonder why he almost killed Luhan with the icy cold wake up call. Next time, he'd make sure to set that date in an alarm. Otherwise, he'd never know what kind of death-defying thing Chen might do to him.

       "Ah..." He smiled nervously. "Happy birthday..."

       "You're welcome! So, are you coming to your family's party this weekend?"

       Luhan sank to his duvet, covering himself with the wet blanket before muttering, "No."

       "As expected, but you always ended up going anyway."

       Luhan abruptly sat up and looked at Chen and firmly declared, "Not this time. My grandfather will be there. There's no way I'll be able to face him. You know how scary he is. Besides..." Luhan hugged his knees, burying his head in between. "He doesn't approve of my ual orientation," was all Chen heard from his muffled voice.

       "But you said that you aren't homo anymore. Wasn't that the reason why you're modelling for your sister's brand? Being surrounded with all those tall y models..." Chen began daydreaming but Luhan sent him a jab right beneath his rib side. "Ouch!"

       "Do you think I'm happy with those girls surrounding me?" Luhan cried. "I hate it!"

       "So you mean you don't like girls?"

       "I don't know," Luhan shrugged, thinking of that day until someone's face flashed in his mind. That fair, soft, squishy face with round eyes, fluttering eyelashes, and those red... "No way!" He shook his head in disgust, catching Chen's attention.

       He raised his eyebrow, looking at Luhan suspiciously. "What?"

       "I said no way. I won't go to that party."

       "Okay. If that's what you want. Let's just play video games here." Chen said excitedly, unaware of Luhan's troubled mind.

 

##

 

"WHAT?"

       "Don't shout on me." Yifan warned Luhan as they both walked in the hallway. They could hear some of the girls squealing, well not because of Luhan which he entirely despised, but because some students apparently find their young tall professor attractive. In fact, despite months had already passed, no one still believed that Yifan and Luhan were brothers. Just their height alone wouldn't qualify the younger. Luhan almost wanted to change his color to pink to attrack attention but his grandfather got mad at him, stating how gay it was coloring someone's hair pink. He ended up sporting his natural hair color since middle school up to now. He just couldn't understand why his grandfather didn't accept him when the old man was a fashion designer as a profession. As far as reality was concerned, that job didn't sound masculine at all, too. Maybe, his grandfather just hated everything about him.

       "What do you mean I am obligated to attend?"

       Yifan turned, pushing Luhan towards his room before locking it. "All the influential families will be there. Besides," Yifan looked hesitant, avoiding Luhan's eyes. He only did that if he did something wrong.

       "What is it?" Luhan's eyebrows furrowed. 

       "I accidentally told grandfather that you're back to being straight."

       "What? Why?" Luhan's eyes widened. "No..."

       "I know you're still confused but I don't have a choice. He keeps on telling how ungrateful of a grandson you are. Of course, I have to prove him wrong." Unbelievable and disgusting it might sound but Yifan loved his brother, of course. And if there was anyone who knew his brother better than anyone else, it would be him. Not even their grandfather had the right to say bad things about this brat. Only him...and Chen.

       "What do you want me to do?" Luhan asked, frustration could be heard from his voice.

       "Just act like yourself. There's nothing wrong with you."

       "But..." Luhan knew it. Even Yifan knew it. That his brother was a coward who always ended up having his knees wobbling and voice stuttering in the presence of their grandfather. If he always ended up fainting in front of Minseok, he thought that was better and less painful than seeing his grandfather personally. It's frightening, like an A-list horror movie. In the end, his voice always ended up turning a few pitch higher, making him sound like a girl. Even more feminine than Minseok's disguise. 

       "I'll ask Chen to accompany you." 

       Luhan never said a word, worry and fear evident on his face. Yifan just sent him a pitiful look. Both of them knew there was nothing they could about the whole situation. Even their parents, who accepted Luhan's uality, had no control over the situation. 

       Just when his brother was about to leave the room, Yifan remembered something. "Wait, before I forgot." Luhan turned, looking at him with a grumpy expression. Yifan had no choice but show a stern expression. "I ask someone to help you."

       "Help? What kind of help do you ask him for?" Luhan said, cocking his head to the side. 

       "A help to make you look and act more masculine."

       "Are you ing serious?!"

       "Cursing," Yifan warned. "And you have to. Grandpa is very keen about these things." Yifan said but it sounded like he was already pleading. "You don't have to worry anyway. That person is an expert and very manly." As if by chance, there was a knock on the door. "It must be him. I ask him to meet you here at lunch."

       Without turning around, Luhan heard his brother talking to someone outside the door. It was his name was called that he turned around and faced another ice-chilling fear passing throughout his bodyworse than Chen's impromptu ice bucket morning call. 

       "I believed you already met him last time during Victoria's photoshoot. I asked Heecheol to be your mentor. He's a professional model, after all."

       Luhan's fist clenched on his side, whispering, "Oh, no you didn't."

 

##

 

"That ert?" Chen stood up with an exasperated look, directing them at Yifan. Both of them were sitting on the bleachers of the soccer field. Apparently, Heecheol choice of a runway was the soccer field. They didn't know what kind of lesson awaits Luhan. Nonetheless, Yifan was there to enjoy what he was about to see. He knew Chen would, too, that's why he invited him there. He just didn't expect the boy to get mad at him like this. "You hire Heecheol, Minseok's secret fanboy, to be Luhan's mentor? I can't believe it."

       "So what? We saved Minseok from being seen as a girl and that's about it. He doesn't have anything against Luhan."

       "Well, I don't know. Luhan doesn't like him. How did you coax your own brother to accept him as a mentor?"

       "That's simple."

(Yifan looked at his class. He already had  list of the groups for the students project and study partner for the rest of the semester.

"I NEVER EVER manipulated this grouping list. I drew lots just to make sure that everything happened by PURE chance. So, here's the list...And last group will be Luhan and Minseok. Congratulations!")

       Chen's eyes narrowed. "So they're stuck together till the end of this semester."

       "Yeah."

       "And Luhan agreed?"

       "He had no choice. After all, it's sheer dumb luck."

("What?" Luhan's eyes never left Yifan, praying his eyes would turn to lasers and kill his brother right then and there. Was this the promise of a gift his brother told him about earlier in exchange for Heecheol's 'masculinity' lesson? This didn't seem like a gift at all. This was a curse!

"Amazing!" He heard someone exclaimed beside him. "Woah," Minseok turned his head and grab Luhan's hands, clasping it with his own soft yet clammy ones. "I know it's pure chance but I'll make sure to be an efficient groupmate and partner for you," he said, nodding his head approvingly. 

Luhan felt the blood already rising, almost drowning his heart. If Minseok would remove his hands on him right now, he'd surely faint again. "Okay," he said, gradually pulling his hands away. 

One day, he'd outwit Yifan. One day...)

       "Well, I guess we have no choice but to watch them. Good thing I have chips right here. Want some?"

 

##

 

Luhan looked around him. They were at the middle of a soccer field. He didn't even know why and what did it have something to do with acting manly. Aside from that, he was wearing his favorite his chic all white leather jacket and his skinny pants. Not to mention his Russian made boots. This place was totally insufficient of red carpet for someone sophisticated like him to walk to. 

       "You look scrawny," Heecheol commented, squeezing Luhan's arms, making the younger flinched.

       (Damn! He pinched hard and painfully.)

       "Do you even eat?"

       "Of course, I do. Salad. Fat-free food. Low cholesterol. I only eat according to my nutritionist's advice. I have a strict diet," Luhan pointed boastfully, brushing off his sleeve where Heecheol formerly touched.  

       "Salad?" The said guy chuckled. "Are you a girl?" he mocked.

       Luhan was about to speak when he remembered that this guy was actually a sunbae. If only it wasn't disrespectful and if only he wasn't protecting the image of his family, especially the good reputation of his brother as an instructor in their university, he might have already sent this douche a punch the moment he entered Yifan's room.

       "I'm just joking," Heecheol chuckled, tapping Luhan's arm. The younger brushed that part off again.

       (This bastard!)

       "Anyhow, it won't be good if you don't have any meat in your body. I suggest we have to do an exercise routine to build up and awaken your sleeping muscles. You have to buff up those arms, that's if you call them that. They look like sticks to me." Heecheol laughed again as he walked away, leaving Luhan flushing red and seething in anger. He didn't know until when he could endure this kind of humiliation and Heecheol's sarcastic remarks. All he knew was that he would never lose, not against this bastard, his greatest enemy of all. 

       "This is war..."

 

##

 

It was near midnight when Luhan got home. Chen was sitting on his bed as the boy demanded for a sleepover as an extension of his 'forgotten birthday' wish. He was laughing while looking to what it seemed like a funny video in his camera.

       Pft! Even if Luhan wouldn't take a peek, he knew that it was his video that Chen took a while ago while he was tortured by Heecheol; the sunbae commanding him to complete a full hundred lapses around the field. Not only that, he was asked to have a hundred push-ups (which he had never done in his entire life) as well as two hundred crunches.

       It took Yifan and Chen to drag his almost dead body to the car to go home. 

       "I don't think I can go to uni tomorrow. I think I have ," he said lethargically, exhausted as he dived to his fluffy bed.  

       Yifan entered the room afterwards with a basket full of sore patches and bandages. As well as cold compress and their mother's special alphabet chicken soup, which was Luhan's only requested food if he's sick. He's not but he's acting like a baby again, affecting his mother so much, who welcomed him by the entrance door with a worried (almost teary) expression. His father, like Yifan, just took a peek before going back to the sports show he was watching on TV.

       "You're such a diva." Yifan scolded. "If mother didn't plead for me to bring you this, I might have been resting in my room now," the elder said, gritting his teeth. "What Heecheol made you to do, everyone with a healthy, active body can also do it. It's because you're such a and never work for your life that you're looking like a loser. Didn't you see how everyone in the field was amused by your incompetitiveness?"

       "You just don't know how hard it was," Luhan retaliated, sitting up, nose flaring as he faced Luhan. "Why? Do you think Chen can do that?"

       "Don't bring my name to your argument. For your information, I can do more than a hundred push-ups a day without ending up crying on the twenty-fourth count. Look at this!" Chen said, raising his video camera. Luhan's face was on the screen, crying like a little lost girl in the middle of the field. He heard the voice of Yifan saying 'I'm out,' as he covered his face and sneakily went far where no one could see him. 

       "If you continue to embarrass me or our family again, I might change the grouping in my math class. Your pure chance won't be pure anymore."

 

##

 

"Your last training will be a game?"

       "A game?"

       "A soccer match."

       Luhan just shrug. It wasn't like he cared who would win and who would lose. As long as a week of his hellish training would finally end, that's all that matters. In all fairness, he could already see his body having shape and tone. He never cared about this stuff before but it never felt to amaze him each time he looked into the mirror every morning how his muscles flexed whenever he posed in front of his dresser. Even when he lifted his tank top, he couldn't help but feel proud of his emerging abs. He wondered if he'd have a solo dance number in his family's party just to provoke his grandfather. That would be great.

       "Fine. It's a deal. So, who will be my teammates?"

 

##

 

"How much are we talking about?"

       "Really?" Luhan looked at Chen in disbelief. "I'm just asking you a small favor to play in my soccer team then you want payment? What kind of friend are you?"

       "First, I don't play sports. Second, my time is precious. I need motivation to win. So, how much?"

       "I'm not giving you any. I'm not aiming to win anyway. I just have to earn a goal then the game is over. All you have to do is to pass the ball to me."

       "Let me think of it first."

       "Just go or I'll tell Yifan about the credit"

       "Okay! Where's the rest of the team?"

 

##

 

"Who are they?" Heecheol asked, seeing Luhan's somewhat uncanny looking team.

       "That's my bestfriend, Chen; my brother, you know him; my driver; my brother's driver; and my brother's driver's friend," Luhan sent him a fleeting smile. As he had already noted, this wasn't anything competitive so he just brought whoever he managed to lure. As long as this day was over, he'd dive into his soft heavenly bed and sleep as long as he wanted. He didn't care of...

       "Okay. Meet my one and only teammate, Minseok."

       "What?" Yifan lifted to his head to look to another boy who was running to their direction. Chen immediately went to his bag to retrieve his eyeglass with built-in camera. There's no way he'd let this fateful event slide. Luhan, on the other hand, had his jaw dropped further and further and he felt his legs turning jelly as Minseok's clear smiling form approach the field.

       "Hello! Let's have a fair play. Fighting!"

       Luhan looked away, wiping the sweat from his temple as Minseok started stretching and doing warm-ups with Heecheol.

 

##

 

All Luhan needed was to shoot a goal and the game would be over. That one easy thing and yet, after half an hour since they started, he hadn't done what he needed to be done. Heck, they couldn't even steal the ball from Heecheol and Minseok. Speaking of the duo, Luhan couldn't explain the tight knot forming in his chest as he watched the two play harmoniously and perfectly well. Not only that, his ears felt like scorching whenever he would hear Minseok shouting 'hyung' or Heecheol shouting 'Minnie-ah'. It didn't sound right. No! 

       But Chen knew better and the ultimate reason why his friend couldn't get his head into the game without stumbling and bruising himself every minute was maybe the way Heecheol would give Minseok's a slap each time the elder hit a goal. He could just see Luhan's eyes widened and his nose flaring up. Each time Heecheol's hand hit Minseok's wobbly , his bestfriend would stop running, frozen in his place until one of their teammates or Yifan would run him over, making both of them to stumble to the grassy field. 

       "Why are you standing there?! Watch out!" Yifan would scold him.

       "I'm fine," Luhan would just mutter meekly and Yifan would watch his brother stand and walk away absentmindedly.

       "There's no way we will win this," the elder shouted but his Luhan never looked back.

       It was during their half time break that Chen decided to make a move.

 

"Hey," he nudged Luhan who obviously had his eyes fixed on the couple eating snacks happily on the sunny field, sharing one huge umbrella, laughing under the shades created by the hot and bright midday sun. "Do you want some juice?"

       "No, thanks. I'm fine."

       "You haven't drunk anything to rehydrate you body. Do you want to die?"

       "I'm fine." Luhan was about to leave Chen's side to look for a place to properly breathe and sort out his troubled mind when he heard Chen shouted Minseok's name.

       Luhan turned around to see Minseok running towards their bleacher. He didn't know why he was suddenly panicking. Perhaps, it's the way Minseok's skin glowed under the sun as he ran. Or maybe because Luhan was soaked in sweat and neither did he smell fine.

       "Why? It's a fun game by the way. Are you enjoying it?"

       (Fun? Pft! Or maybe you just enjoy the way Heecheol takes advantage of your...bum. Enjoy, my !)

       "Oh, you just don't know how much I am enjoying it," Chen smiled, surprising Luhan as he pulled the other closer to him. "But Luhan doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as we do. Maybe..." The two friends' eyes met. Luhan saw the sinister glint in Chen's eye. "Maybe you can give him some advice on how to enjoy a very friendly"

       "And full of skinship," Luhan mumbled.

       "What?"

       "Nothing."

       "A very friendly game. Give us some tips. Help Luhan score a goal, please." 

       Even if Chen already felt the hole in his skull created by Luhan's laserbeam stares, he still continued to pursue Minseok to do what needed to be done. If not, even Chen would die of exhaustion. No matter how much he enjoyed his friend's suffering, he, too was suffering himself. 

       "That's just easy," Minseok said, smiling.

       Luhan huffed, crossing his arms. 

       "What is it?" Chen asked. Yifan also drew his head closer to listen.

       "Just imagine how much food you can eat after a long tiring day!"

       Luhan should have expected this. He should've realized that he would fail no matter what. Maybe he should just raise the white flag and go home to sleep. He would never win this game. Never.

       "Don't you think it's quite hot," Minseok commented all of a sudden. Without a warning, he removed his jacket, revealing only his sleeveless top, revealing his fair yet very manly arms. "Just remember my advice. I know you're going to have your first goal soon. I believe in you. Fighting!" Minseok gestured his clenched fist in the air as he said it to Luhan before running to the field again. 

       Luhan took the bottle of water from Chen's hand and drank it all the way.

 

##

 

Nothing really happened for the next half an hour. Chen was almost on the brink of losing his mind. Yifan was already struggling to catch his breath. Their other companions could only run in a slow speed after an hour game. Luhan remained hopeless.

       "As expected of my partner!" Heecheol congratulated Minseok, enclosing him into a tight hug. But what made Luhan's senses awakened was the way the elder's hand sneakily traveled from Minseok's back downward until it reached his right cheek.

       (Did he just ing squeeze it?! Did he just! Oh no, he didn't.)

       In a speed of light, Luhan was gone from Chen's side to Heecheol's side, stealing the ball while the other wasn't looking. He didn't even pass the ball to any of his teammates even when Yifan told him so. Coming to his senses, Heecheol ran fast to go after Luhan but the other was faster, professionally keeping the ball with his unbelievable foot techniques.

       He was almost there, almost near to the goal. Just one kick away and...

       "Goal! Yes!" Chen shouted, running towards Luhan to give him a hug.

       Luhan turned to him, priceless expression upon his face as he ran to Chen's direction. The surrounding sound seemingly turned mute replaced by 'Chariots of Fire' playing in the background. It happened in slow motion as Luhan extended his hand. Chen copied his gesture. This was the happiest day of their lives and

       "I'm so happy," Luhan said, his voice was muffled as he buried his head to the other person's neck. He could feel the tears b his eyes. He was so happy that his hug got tighter and tighter. The person he was hugging was returning the same force of squeeze Luhan was sending him.

       He slightly lifted his head when he felt some flashing lights directed at him. Chen was at the back with his camera flicking continuously. Yifan was staring at him blankly. His arms started to loosen around the body he was hugging. 

       (If Chen's there then who's this...)

       "I'm happy for you, too," Minseok said to him, flashing his full gummy and toothy grin. 

 

##

 

Yifan was the one driving their car since their drivers went home in exhaustion and couldn't move their bodies to send them home. He was obligated to leave his car at the university while they used Luhan's. His brother was at the backseat, lying.

       "I'm sorry."

       Yifan looked at him from the rearview mirror, surprised. "What?"

       "I don't think I'll ever be straight the way grandpa wants me to be," he said before closing his eyes. Yifan didn't say a word all their way home.

 

##

 

The party was held as scheduled. The venue was one of Wu's traditional Korean house in Incheon. Despite its antiquity, the event planner turned it to a stunning fusion of contemporary and classic styles. Indeed, most of their family's friends and business partners are there. Unfortunately, Chen's parents were in France for an art show so Chen was the only one to go as he sat beside a handsome looking Yifan. Luhan was nowhere in sight.

       "Where's Luhan?" Chen asked, poking Yifan.

       "He's been preparing with my grandpa's trusted stylist."

       "What? But he never liked Ryeowook-shi's sense of style. He always ended up running to our house to hide whenever your grandpa's stylist worked with him."

       Yifan shrugged, taking a sip of his chardonnay. "I don't know. He's been acting strange since the soccer game with Heecheol ended. He always follows what our parents told him to do. Even the clothes his going to wear today was tailored by grandpa."

       "That's something to worry about. Aren't you worried? Why didn't you stop him?" Yifan could sense the seriousness in Chen's voice. They both knew what consequences it might bring if Luhan continued to follow his grandpa's orders. The day might come when the Luhan they knew wouldn't be the same anymore. 

       "Are you two busy?" They heard a woman spoke behind them. When they turned around, they saw Victoria and a familiar figure hiding behind her. "Where's Luhan?" she asked.

       "He's still changing. I see you brought Minseok with you," Yifan said. Minseok emerged from the back, bowing at them.

       "Well, I figured Chen might get bored since our family have to do a bit of socializing so I brought Minseok as his companion. And sorry if he has to dress as a girl again. Everyone knew him as my secretary. We have to remain consistent."

       "My god," was all Chen could say when Minseok walked behind him. Unlike his usual attire that looked like a popstar idol, now he was wearing something less flashy and more classy. Even his wig deviated from the colored ones to a natural look as his hair was tied in an elegent ponytail. If it's not a crime, Chen might have hugged him in front of these rich people. Minseok was just hard to resist. He couldn't wait to see Luhan's reaction.

 

After a while, there was a sound of a glass being tapped and a faint noise coming from a microphone.

       "Awaited guests, ladies and gentlemen, let's all stand up for the entrance of Chairman Wu Xi Che or better known for his Korean adapted name as Kim Heechul."

       All the guests stood up from their seats including a blank Minseok who Chen had to pull just to have him stood up. There's a lot of things to teach the beautiful lady man beside him. 

       Yifan and Victoria already went to the platform with their family as Chairman Heechul walked to the podium. He was old, obviously, but until now his face remained young that Chen, despite knowing Luhan for too long, couldn't still believe that the man was past the golden age of 50. He looked as if he's still in his forties or way younger than that. No wonder he was formerly called Cinderella when he was young. That's where Luhan probably get his baby face and feminine attributes. A short while, Luhan also emerged from the back, receiving lots of hush noises and whispers. Even Chen was surprised by the sudden changes in his friend's look.

       "Woah, I never thought Luhan has a blond twin," he heard Minseok commented.

       "That's Luhan, silly."

       "What?"

       This was what Chen was afraid of. Far from the black-haired Luhan that he knew, the man standing in front of them looked like a character pulled straight away from a well drawn shoujo manga. He looked like a prince so to say and less of the stinky, drenched in sweat Luhan he just saw two days ago. Painful for him to admit but he looked more handsome than Chen.

       "He looked beautiful," Minseok said.

 

##

 

Luhan took a shot of a drink he didn't even know what kind. But he didn't care even when his throat felt like burning as he could see from the corner of his eyes that his grandfather was approaching him.

       "Luhan."

       "Grandpa." He stood up, sending the old man a bow. 

       Observing his face, Luhan could see he's in good mood, perhaps because he's finally following all his orders. It's still sad to know that he wouldn't accept Luhan as he really was.

       "Are you enjoying the party?"

       "It's amazing as expected of your good taste, grandpa."

       His grandpa smiled but still rigid and distant. "I already know that but you still haven't answered my question. You should enjoy this party you know. I didn't even all these young ladies just for you to seat here and watch them."

       "What do you mean, grandpa?"

       "As Yifan told me days ago, I see that you're finally back to your senses again. I will tell you frankly now and I want you to listen carefully. These ladies here are all daughters of our family friends and I want you to choose among them to be your bride, Luhan. I've already talked to their families and the ladies already knew about it. They're just waiting for your choice."

       "What?" Luhan looked startled. Yifan, who happened to hear went beside his brother.

       "Isn't it too early for that, grandfather?" he said, seeing how Luhan cowered beside him.

       "Early or not, it will still end that way. And since your older brother here won't inherit the company given that he choose to be a teacher rather than the owner of huge respected company, I expect you, Luhan, to be my next heir. And I will only approve your marriage if the bride is among the ladies here."

       "Grandpa" Yifan said but Luhan interrupted him.

       "What if I don't want it?" Luhan's voice was quivering but he was trying to stay firm. "What if the person I like isn't one of them? What if I'm not the way you want me to be?"

       Yifan could see his grandfather's face hardened, eyes narrowed as he looked at Luhan with a fiery glare. "Don't you dare humiliate me in this party, Luhan. Just do what I told you. Before the night ends, I want a name and a face." With that, he stormed off, not looking back to see his grandson's quivering hands or the way Luhan tried to prevent the tears from flowing from his eyes.

       "Luhan..."

       "I need a break." 

       Luhan ran and disappear somewhere before Yifan could even catch him. Guilt slowly building inside him knowing it was him who lied to his grandfather about his younger brother. And it was also him who choose what he wanted to be in life without thinking of its consequences. If only Yifan could do something.

 

##

 

"Ah, that's a lot of food to digest but it's so delicious. I wonder if I can pack some home later."

       Minseok entered the loo, which until now, he couldn't believe that this and all of the rooms in this place were bigger than their house. The tiles were gleaming clean he could just them. The smell, too, was enticing enough that he could stay there longer if he wanted to. Plus, what kind of toilet would you find where there's a beautiful chandelier full of diamonds. This place was far from his imagination. Even his dream house was nothing.

       What he couldn't understand when he entered one of the stalls was that there's no tissue in sight. Not even inside the next stall, or the next, or the next, or...

       "Luhan?"

 

##

 

Luhan ended up seating in a furthest stall of an empty toilet since its the only place not reached by loud sound of the party hall. There, he cried like there's no tomorrow, like there's no happy event happening just a meter away from him, like he wasn't wearing any make-up at all. He cried without thinking that he had to face hundred of girls tonight and to choose among them as if it's just a matter of sorting out black and white. Unfortunately, his grandfather would never understand that Luhan had always and would always be stuck in a grey area. He would never understand that it wasn't gender that really matter to Luhan. It's a matter of who affected him the most, who's making his world looked more colorful than it already was, who's making his chest burst with colors he had never seen or felt before. 

       It wouldn't be any of the girls in the party. It was just one person and that person was...

       Luhan sank further to the toilet seat when a girl with a messy make-up opened his door without permission. As far as he could remember, this was men's room and not the other. He was about to shout when the girl talked.

       "Luhan? What are you doing here? Are you crying?"

       He wiped his eyes, adjusting his sight clearly when he noticed it wasn't just an ordinary girl with weird make-up. 

       "Minseok?"

       Minseok raised his hand. He looked like he was struggling with his arm holding his stomach and his body in a weird twisted form. "Wait a sec. Can I borrow that tissue first?"

       "O-kay..."

       "Thanks!" He was gone from his sight when he went back again. "I'll go back to you and we'll talk. Let me just go, you know, toilet..."

       "Okay, go!"

       "Okay! Thanks again!"

       Luhan slowly stood up from his seat, taking a peek outside of his stall when he heard a loud bang of another stall's door closing beside him. He couldn't tell what other kind of sounds he had heard after that.

 

##

 

"So you changed your look just because you want to please your grandfather?"

       Luhan nodded. He wasn't crying anymore but he felt like it when Minseok looked at him worried, holding his hand tightly. They were both perched on the marbled counter of the toilet room, leaning on the glass mirror behind them.

       "That's why I didn't recognize you earlier."

       "Do you think I look better now than before?"

       "You always look the same. It's your hair that made the difference. But any color suits you fine." 

       Luhan looked up. Although not surprised, a part of him was still pinched every time Minseok would say something. 

       "How about you? Why is your face like that? Was Krystal sick to make you look like that?"

       Minseok swayed his head, stifling his laughter. "No. It's my fault. I've eaten a lot and my make-up wore off. I tried retouching it with the make-up Victoria-noona gave me but I guess it's not my thing."

       "Right. You almost gave me a heart attack when you burst open my door. Are you aware of how scary you look right now?"

       "Sorry. I guess I'll just wash my face and hide here until the party ends. Then, I'll run away as fast I could to go home." Minseok laughed, creating a large bruise in Luhan's chest. The more he stayed here, the harder would be for him to go out there and do what he was told to do. He never felt more at ease and safe by Minseok's side. How he wished he could stay there, but he knew his grandfather would always find away to meet what he wanted. Luhan's afraid Minseok would be involved to this. He didn't want that to happen. 

       "How about I do your make-up?"

       "You can do that? Thank you!"

 

"You're lucky." Luhan was holding Minseok's face, gently wiping the colors away. It was only days ago when he ended up hugging him. Now, they were close in distance again, even had a chance to hold his velvety cheeks. It's far from what he imagined, far better. 

       "What do you mean?" Minseok asked him, eyes closed, unaware of Luhan closely scrutinizing every pores in his face.

       Who was he kidding? Looking closely, with Minseok's bare face, really it would be a waste to put make-up on it. Whether sporting as a girl or a boy, his bare face would fit any. It's beautiful enough to be as it is. Luhan could stare at it forever if only he could.

       Sensing no movement, Minseok opened his eyes to see Luhan's eyes fixed on him. The side of his eyes looked red, like he was about to cry again.

       "Are you alright?"

       "I'm fine. It's just...I suddenly feel small about myself."

       "You? Luhan? Feeling small? That doesn't seem like you at all," Minseok denied.

       "No. You don't understand. The reason why you saw me crying was because my grandpa wants me to be who I'm really not. You, you're just you."

       "What are you saying? Look at me, I'm disguising as a girl but you..."

       "That's only temporary. After work, you can just go and be yourself again but meI have to act differently forever. I have to be someone else."

       "Perhaps you're grandfather hasn't seen the real you yet. Perhaps he's not aware of how kind you are, of how you intelligent, of how beautiful you are inside and out. If you want, I can be a living testimony of your greatness. I'll tell him how you help me a lot of times. I can do that."

       Luhan looked at Minseok, looked at the sincerity in his eyes, the determination in his voice. It's so genuine and sincere. It hurt. If only he could tell him that there's nothing he could do about it.

       "It's not that, Minseok. I'm facing a different problem. My grandfather wants me to choose among the girls out there right now who I want to marry. The problem is I never like any of them. I never like girls." Luhan ducked his head, avoiding to look at Minseok, at his reaction to his reality, to his not-really-a-secret secret. He didn't want to know what Minseok thinks of him now. It would be painful for sure. 

       "I'm sorry. I have to go back there." He dropped the handkerchief in his hand as he ran away without bothering to hear a word Minseok was saying to him.

 

##

 

Chen saw Minseok with an agitated expression. He looked like he was in panic but at the same, he looked mad. Nonetheless, he was still beautiful even without make-up.

       "Yah, I've been looking for you. I thought you're lost."

       "Where's Luhan?" If was the first time Chen saw Minseok's eyebrows wrinkled furiously. It was scary to be honest.

       "II saw him talking to Hyuna of the Kim family and Yoona of the Im family just a minute ago. Whwhy?" he didn't even know why he was stuttering like this. If this was a math equation, angry Minseok was greater than angry Yifan by 10 to the infinite power. 

       "Can you I ask for your help?"

       "Huh?"

       Minseok removed the band holding his hair together, letting the long wavy wig to fall freely on his shoulder as he put the ribbon on Chen's palm. 

 

##

 

Another glass tap echoed inside the event hall, halting all the hush voices and loud talks of the guests, drunken or not. 

       "My dear guests, as this event is almost near to its end, I just want to say that my heir and youngest son of the Wu family will make a very important announcement." Chairman Heechul went down the podium as he and Luhan exchanged glances. He gave him a tight squeeze to the shoulder before whispering, "Choose one right now or I will disinherit you from the family. Forever."

       Luhan shakily went to the podium, almost stumbling on his way when Victoria lent him a hand. Even if he asked help from his family, none of them had the power to do anything. 

       He had already talked to a few girls but none of them really passed his taste even the tiniest bit. He even felt like vomiting just thinking about it.

       "My grandson Luhan has already made a choice for his bride to be."

       All the girls in the event stood in front with their families backing them up. But for Luhan who was standing on the stage, all of them looked like a sea of nightmare he'd surely drown once he dived in. He looked back to plead but his grandpa was glaring at him and he knew this was really the end. He scanned the audiences once again to at least have one last glance of the person he wanted to see and apologize to but there was no trace of Minseok anywhere. He took one deep breathe before...

       "Wait," a hand was raised among the sea of girls. A small man emerged from it.

       "Chen?"

       "Luhan is my bestfriend"

       What is this kid doing? Yifan thought to himself, wanting to pull Chen away from trouble if only he wasn't sitting with his family.

       "And as his bestfriend I knew everything about him, the good and the bad, and even his deepest and darkest secret." Chen looked serious as he spoke, making not only Luhan but also his grandfather nervous.

       Luhan sent him  glare saying, I swear if you're going to reveal my orientation, I'm going to kill you.

       "Luhan has never told anyone about this before. Only me because I know how afraid he would be if anyone finds out," Chen's voice croaked while wiping some invisible tears from his eyes.

       Yifan rolled his eyes.

       "But Luhan is...Luhan is..."

       Chairman Heechul stood up, almost near snatching the microphone to yell at Chen but Chen was fast to speak.

       "Luhan is already taken. His heart already belongs to someone else, a very beautiful and intelligent someone else. I want you all to meet Luhan's secret girlfriend, Princess Xiumin, heir to throne of Zibao kingdom."

       The wave of people separated, hearing the clanking sound of heels on the floor. A beautiful young lady looking differently from the rests of the girls in the room walked straight to the stage. 

       Luhan could only stare blankly. Yifan was covering Victoria's mouth. And Chen pulled a fan and aimed it straight to Minseok to give him a windy effect.

       Minseok right in front of Luhan and his grandfather, bending to a perfect right angle bow, before redeeming himself, showing a lenient smile. "Good afternoon, Chairman Heechul. Luhan's father, Luhan's mother, Luhan's family"

       Yifan avert his gaze when Minseok winked at him.

       "I'm sorry if I only present myself now. My name is Xiumin, Luhan's girlfriend." Minseok approach the frozen Luhan, holding his cold hand as he tiptoed to leave a chaste kiss to his cheek. "I love you, oppa."