Twelfth Bloom

Late Bloomer
not proofread (when did I ever?)
 

 

twelfth bloom

{where the winter the wind blew harshly on Luhan's face; part ii}

 

 

It wasn't only Yifan. Even Victoria noticed...

       "Something's not right."

       "Do you? Yeah..." Yifan placed the two cups of coffee on the remaining spot on the table as his sister scanned the latest fashion magazine released in autumn. It would be a week before the winter officially enters but something was definitely not right as early as now. 

       "I thought I was the only who noticed it. I mean the mess and the clumsiness..."

       "And failing the exams. Luhan's been acting pretty strange."

       Victoria placed the magazine on her lap to look at her brother, couldn't hide her intrigued expression. "Wait, are we talking about Luhan?"

       "Aren't we? The mess and the clumsiness..."

       "No. I was talking 'bout Minseok. He looked like he's out of his mind lately, constantly making mistakes on the orders. And his emails..."

(Even Victoria couldn't believe it when more than three of their clients gave her a call about the e-mails they had been receiving. Instead of the usual purchase invoices or product catalogues, they reported to have been receiving chain letters or kittens. Well, kittens would have been cute but that wasn't what they were supposed to receive. So when she went to the front desk to confront Minseok about, he saw the boy staring blankly to his computer, in the middle of composing an e-mail. That was it she could call it as such:

 

From: VW Fashion <[email protected]>
To: Fashion Department, Park Shopping Centre <[email protected]>
Subject: Order Confirmation

Manager Seo: 

I have received your call regarding your order. I would just like to confirm if everything has been included in our list:

1. Three sets of cross monogramed silver satan scarves. 

2. Five sets of gold embroidered handkerchief.

3. 16 carrot gold encrusted IPad sleeve.

end of order

If any of the orders are wrong or if you want to add more, please reply immediately to this e-mail so we can correct them as soon as possible to avoid future problems.

Also, our company will be holding a FOR KIDS pubic auction before the season ends. This will include:

1. A mini passion show featuring our bare costumes.

2. Discounted products from our royalty collection which includes queen gowns for girls and kink toys for boys.

3. And there will be a section for your early Christmas gifts for FREE!

The venue is going to be held on Monday at the Wu's Palace Mansion. We hope to see you there!

 

Thank you,

Kim Minyeo
Frontdesk Officer
VW Fashion, Wu Corporation

 

She had to handle the e-mail job to Luna while she calmly reprimanded Minseok and made sure he wouldn't do the same mistakes again. For three days, Victoria gave him an early work dismissal, which if Minseok was in his normal state would surely decline the offer as he seemed to enjoy working overtime. Yet this time, the boy absentmindedly followed her orders and went home in his usual blank state (which included but not limited to forgetting to change back to his boy clothes; not forgetting to change his clothes but forgetting to remove his wig and makeup; not forgetting to remove everything except his stilettos; and an obvious obliviousness of bumping his head to the glass door thrice in a row without the normal pained reaction, instead he would walk straight out even if there's blood gushing from his head). 

The symptoms weren't too obvious, were they?)

       "Wait." Victoria leaned forward to face Yifan closer. "Luhan's also acting weird?"

       Yifan took a sip of his coffee before grabbing one of the magazine without having real intention of reading it. He stopped right where his brother and Heecheol had a whole page for themselves. It amazed him to see them have some sort of chemistry on camera, though the truth, he knew, was far from it. "Kind of. He failed his quizzes twice in a row just in my subject alone. I heard he's been spacing out a lot that his professors often barged in my room to ask me what's wrong..."

(Yifan would never forget it. That one surprising instance of seeing Luhan seating between two (obviously flirtatious) girls in class as he happily chatted with them. He tripped on his way to the podium. Luhan didn't even pay heed to his obvious humiliation despite seeing the rests of his students muffling their grins. His brother and the two girls (plus other more jealous ones) continued chatting (and it might not be an acting of flirting but it could be as he saw Luhan letting one of the girls caress his hand). It was only when Minseok entered the room and the boy helped him that he caught Luhan sparing them a glance. After that, he stopped talking to anyone, even to Minseok who surprisingly passed by him without his usual lively greeting. The boy tried to wave a hand but dismissed it when Luhan averted his eyes away.

You intolerable brat! He and Yifan exchanged glares.)

       "And he never ate with us during lunch. He said he hates cafeteria food which isn't doubtful, but he never complained ever since Minseok has been manning the counter. It could be..."

       Victoria gasped which made Yifan almost dropped the coffee on the magazine. "Do you think it might concern the two of them, like a fight?"

       "A fight?" Kris forehead furrowed, narrowing his eyes. "And the reason?"

 

##

 

"The reason is I just wanna have fun."

       "I don't know." Chen put down his game console and looked at Luhan, doubtful. "What happened?" he asked, crossing his arms. Luhan's been acting strange lately, and he thought it might be just the result of winter blues or whatever epidemic loneliness that had gotten to him. But seeing him climbing his balcony so he could play his latest ordered games online when he could just enter through the front door, well, wasn't that strange enough?  

       Luhan never spared him a glance, biting his lip, concentrating hard on the screen as he pressed the jump and shoot buttons, with occasional cursing here and there. 

       "Do I really have to say the same reason again? I. Just. Want. To. Have. !" The music indicating that it was already game over played in the background.

       "You want to ?" Chen asked, horrified.

       Luhan looked at him, not really offended. He's relaxed actually—too far relaxed and bordering emotionless which one way or another was already creeping the hell out of Chen. "I mean fun," he deadpanned, patting Chen's shoulder. Chen flinched with the touch, moving backwards one beat at a time. "What's wrong with me coming over to your house so we can play video games together? Don't you love me anymore?" 

       "It's not like that. It's just that..."

       Luhan looked at him, boggled in disbelief before it softened, a smile creeping his face. "Oh I know. I'm sorry if I forced you to play. You don't want to play video games anymore, is that it?" Luhan said, putting his console on the floor. "How about we watch ?"

       "What?!" Chen never moved in his place; neither he removed his wide eyes on Luhan. His hands, however, found its way sneakily in his pocket to fish his phone out. Even if he had hidden collection somewhere under a plank of his old wooden closet, it's not like Luhan watched , or was it even comfortable to watch them with another person in the room.

       "Do you have gay ?"

       That's it. He's done for. He freakingly needed to press the panic button now, a.k.a. "Yifan-hyung!"

 

##

 

Luhan ended up at the backseat of Yifan's car, squirming because Yifan just tied his hands together. 

       "There's really something wrong with you but you won't say a thing. How do you expect us to help you?"

       "Get me out of this bind. And where the hell do you plan to bring me?" the younger said in a panicky tone.

       "Well," Chen started without an obvious glint in his eyes. Just a while ago, he looked so freaked out but after seeing Luhan being tied like a mummy at the back, the smile was back on his face. "Since my bestfriend is obviously possessed by a demon of some sort, might as well use a very effective and undisputed way of exorcism."

       "And what is that?"

 

##

 

"I fancy him y'know," Luhan whined before quaffing his third bottle of soju; the bottle rolling empty on the floor as his head dropped on the table, tears started to create muddles under him. Yifan and Chen shared grins before chugging down their own shots; the glasses created a loud thud as they put them down on the table before Chen refilled them again, the good maknae that he was. Somehow, their plan seemed to be fruitful as the old men in the same street food stall were now looking at Luhan, sending him a toss for his 'failed love story' which the younger quickly and defensively waved off. "Don't get me wrong," Luhan continued again. Yifan offered his hanky to wipe the tears away from the sodden-looking face of his brother which the latter repaid with a sloppy, wet kiss on his cheek. "Thank you," Luhan said, giggling. He heard a click somewhere and saw Chen capturing that moment. He immediately grabbed the phone from the younger and tossed it in the bowl of oden they ordered. 

       What the?! the younger groaned but never continued when Yifan sent him glare of impending death (or in Chen's eyes 'stop it or pay your debt' kind of glare). He raised his hands in defeat before fishing out his poor poor phone.

       "So ya say yur not in love with ya mate, ey?" An old man, who was already pissed when they got there but still continued drinking, managed to ask before falling from his chair. No one helped him though as the rest of the patrons waited for Luhan to continue his story.

       Luhan raised a glass, waving it. "No. Y'got it all wrong sir. Ya see, he's a very kind human being. The kindest I ever encounter in me life. It's impossible for anyone not to like him."

       Yifan nodded as he took a bite of the grilled pig skin. 

       "What's your problem then if he's so kind?" another, more sober man asked. 

       Luhan stared at his bottle for a while, swirling the liquid inside of it. "That's the problem init? He's too kind to ev'ryone. He's always ready to say yes to everyone. He's just too good." The soju continued to overflow from his mouth as he turned down the bottle, emptying it in his mouth.

       Yifan and Chen exchanged looks, this time, with a sad looks on their faces.

 

##

 

"Ah ah, steady, steady," Chen warned, unhooking Luhan's arm from his shoulder before settling down the younger on a clean bench near the bus stop sign. Good thing, he only drank enough not to qualify him from drunk driving. Yifan somehow managed to walk in wobbly manner, but Chen knew he was reaching his passing out point so he decided to help the giant to their car while he was still conscious. It was easier for him to carry Luhan in cased he passed out, unlike Yifan who had hidden mass of fat under his skin (he's just lucky there's a lot of room in his long limbs for extra weight). Anyway, it's not like Luhan would cross the street to kill himself. He looked all passed out, curling in the cold bench. He could be robbed though but that's the least of Chen's concerns. He was filthy rich anyway; if someone stole his shoes away, he could just ask his mum for an instant replacement. "Wait here while Yifan-hyung and I get the car."

       Chen only heard a grunt from his friend, and a few mumbling about steamed bun. But his eyes were closed. Yeah, he would be fine.

 

##

 

There was a wave of pain that crash down on him once he opened his eyes. But instead of his usual soft bed and pillows meeting him, the place he was lying at was as hard and as cold as ice. The wind was also icy cold, too cold and too windy for him to be in his room. Boggled, his eyes shut open, only to be greeted by an adult-sized teddy bear looking down at him. 

       "What the !"

       The bear cupped its big head as if appalled by the profanity that left his mouth. The bear, then, gestured a disapproving waved of its moveable paw.

       "Sorry..." Luhan muttered before clutching his head, another wave of pain came crushing in. "Where the f—fudge are my company?" he asked himself before his eyes widened again. "Did they just fu—" He stopped seeing the bear's steady eyes on him (it's not like they ever moved but he could feel the person behind that costume was glaring at him with his over cursing). "Did they just freakin' ditch me?" With a dramatic sigh, he buried his head on his palms, creating muffled (and fake) sobbing sound. "I know they don't love me. No one loves me!"

       He felt a poke on his shoulder. Lifting his head, he saw the bear swaying its head, its arms forming a huge 'x'. The next thing he knew the bear was gesturing different kinds of movement as he tried and guessed what they meant—a bear and human charade, great. He saw some bystanders laughing their way. 

       "Two..."

       The bear sent him a thumbs-up. What could he do, he's too intelligent for this (not that he wanted to acknowledge the bear's great acting skills). 

       "...running...Two running men!" The bear agreed again as it did its final gesture as if he was driving a car. "Two running men? Car? Ah! Did they leave to get the car?"

       The bear nodded furiously, holding its big head as it almost fell off due to excitement. As if by instinct, they did a high five, his palm slapping the furry yet soft paws of the bear. Luhan didn't notice the first genuine smile he had after a week of brooding. After a while, the bear looked as if he was about to leave giving Luhan another stabbing pain in his chest. But the bear gestured him to relax and just wait where he was sitting. He watched the running honey-colored massive size of cuteness ran in the corner and came back in a flash with a coffee in his hand. The bear knelt on one knee in front of him, offering him the warm cup so elegantly.

       "For me?" he asked even though by the looks of it, it seemed like the bear needed something to drink more than he did given the obvious rise and fall of its chest and its muffled quick breaths. There were also some evident wet patches on his onesie. He was obviously sweating under the thick heavy costume. "You can remove your head you know so you can breathe properly. Besides, I think you need the coffee more than I do."

       The bear looked surprised, moving away a little as it held its head costume defensively; its other hand was still holding the cup close to Luhan's face. Luhan stayed still, raising a brow. The bear's shoulders dropped heavily. It raised its arm to cover his forever wide-opened eyes. Its shoulders started shaking. 

       Luhan closed his eyes feeling the irritation started to simmer inside of him because not only that this bear (who didn't want to reveal itself) was too persistent, its actions were also too cute for his inner child not to be touched. The coffee was closer to his face as he could see the smiling eye slowly peeking from the furry arm that covered it. 

       "Alright!" he groaned in frustrated defeat. "Might as well drink something to sober me up. Thanks." The raised the coffee cup before drinking it. The bear clapped happily. Luhan smiled in return but it fell when the bear started dancing. "Okay, that's enough. You're embarrassing me." He, then, pulled the surprisingly light creature to sit beside him.

 

He sipped with an uneasy feeling when he felt and could see from the corner of his eyes that the bear's eyes were locked on him, observing him as he finished the cup of coffee.

       "Will you stop that? It's...it irks me." It's not that he hated it (and he was thankful somehow offered him a drink). It just felt weird especially when he had no idea about the identity of the person inside the deceptively cute disguise. But then again, he seemed to want to retreat what he had said when the bear dropped his shoulders ever so dramatically (and if his senses were still strong despite being pissed, he might have heard a sigh from inside). Luhan was immediately on denial, waving his hands. "No, no. I didn't mean it to be offensive. It's that I don't know who you are or what kind of person are you. And if I didn't taste the strong bitterness of this coffee, I might think this is just a dream. It isn't, is it?"

       The bear swayed his head. It still acting sullen despite Luhan's apology that made him think what he did wrong to make the bear react like that. 

       "What's the problem?" And then, they were on for another round of charades.

 

"You want to know why am I here, pissed?"

       The bear nodded softly, his huge foot started kicking pebbles on the street. 

       "Uhm..." Luhan pursed his lips as he thought of weighing his options. First, there was a bear beside him. Second, it wasn't like the teddy bear he had at home where he could speak to or punch if he had problems. Third, this bear was a human, a human stranger. Fourth, and since it was a stranger then there might be nothing wrong telling him his problems, but then again...fifth and final thing, it was a stranger—a double-edged sword of confusion.

       He heaved a sigh, catching the bear's attention back to him. It was looking at him with its smiling eyes yet he could feel the inquisitiveness of its gaze from the inside. "Fine, I'll tell you but it's a secret."

       The bear stared, no immediate answer from him. Only a faint nod. Luhan's eyes narrowed but there's nothing wrong if he spilled his not-so-secret problem anymore. After all, there were more than ten pissed old men left at the stall who knew about it and even sent him full support to his love quest in which he defended himself for the umpteenth time that it wasn't a quest and never about love!

       "I'm just mad at myself for being mad at a friend." He shifted from his seat, trying to catch a glimpse of the bear's reaction despite knowing he wouldn't get anything. "It was really disappointing. He didn't deserve the hostile attitude I gave him this past week. He's too good to me. Even lying for my sake. I think I am just taking advantage of his kindness without giving something in return."

       He heard a raspy gasped from the inside as the bear swayed its head in manner like it wanted to detach its head away from his body if only he wasn't holding the costume securely. He crossed his arms again, forming a big fat 'x' in the air. 

       Luhan stared. "What do you mean?" He flinched he felt the warm, fuzzy fabric of the paws wrapped around his own hands. The bear was swaying his head once more. "You don't think I'm right?" He felt the small fingers beneath the costume squeezed his hands tightly; the bear nodding in return. Before he knew, he was engulfed in a soft yet bone-crushing hug. Not that he wanted it. In fact, the two of them just perfectly fit in each others arms. If he'd close his eyes, he'd surely fell asleep with the comfort it was bringing him. 

       Then he heard a familiar undertone, "It's fine."

       He quickly pulled back, quirking his eyebrows. His nostrils had gone wide in confusion. "Did you just speak?"

       The bear covered its mouth, denying. 

       "I just heard you. Don't deny it. Do I know you?"

       Same reaction. It was as if he could get more reaction aside from nodding or swaying of head.

       Luhan opened his mouth to ask again when he heard a loud honk. "I know you're pissed but it's not an excuse for you to hook up with a bear!" Chen shouted from the driver's seat. 

       Luhan rolled his eyes when he noticed that his hands were still s around the bear. He quickly drew them back before swiftly standing up. "Ah, the car..." his thumb pointing to the said. "Gotta go."

       The bear stood up, saluting him. 

       Luhan chuckled before it subsided in a smile. His hand caressing the back of his nape bashfully. "Thanks, I guess."

 

##

 

"Who are you waving at?" Luna asked, seeing the familiar figure she was looking for since an hour ago. 

       There was a huge popping sound as the bear head dangled on his side. He breathed heavily, trying to catch as much fresh air as possible though he wouldn't help but shudder when the cold breeze hit his once warm face. "A friend?"

       "O—okay. Anyway, thanks for wearing this costume, Minseok-shi. I think we've promoted enough for the event. Let's go back so we can take you off that suit."

       "Alright."

       "By the way, why are you blushing so hard. Was it too hot inside?"

       "Ahh...yes?"

 

##

 

"What is this?"

       Waking up while dealing with hangover was already unbearable. But coupling it with Luhan being called to his grandfather's office with Yifan and Victoria already there sending him wary glances and he knew he was facing far greater and more unbearable doom.

       He approached the table to see what his grandfather was talking about. He felt his mouth gone dry and his hands gone cold.

       "There's no such place a Zibao kingdom and no such princess named Xiumin. Why did you lie to me?!"

       "I...it's not..."

       "And you two!"

       Victoria and Yifan looked frozen in their seat, ducking their heads. "How dare you let your brother date a commoner, much more an employee in our company?"

       "I'll take responsibility, grandpa," said Yifan, lifting his head to met his grandfather's fiery gaze and avoiding Luhan's.

       "No," Victoria said firmly. "She's my employee and since I'm the eldest, I'll take all the responsibility."

       Luhan ran to his grandfather's side, clutching his hand. "It's not their fault."

       "Enough! From now on, Kim Minyeo will no longer be an employee of my company and will never be. As for you—" The old man turned to him, shrugging his hand from his grip. "You will go with us for the winter vacation as plan where your wedding will be held with your new —and my choice—  fiancée."

       "No..."

       Yifan lowered his head, clutching his fists tightly, avoiding the horror etched on his brother's face.

       "Yes and my decision is absolute and final."

 

##

 

If it wasn't for Minseok calling him in a frantic voice, Chen might have been happily surfing in Hawaii ten hours from now. But the good friend that he was (unlike Luhan or Yifan who never called him after their drinking night—Chen thought they might have gone to vacation already, but it's very unlikely of them, especially Luhan, not to bid him goodbye), he went to meet Minseok without second thoughts.

       He saw Minseok rubbing his hands together, white wisps of his breath hovering over his face. If only he wasn't driving, he might have noticed the huge bag lying beside the boy's feet.

 

##

 

"What do you mean you were fired?

       Minseok nodded. His cheeks were puffed and flushed. Chen might have captured few stolen shots if only Yifan didn't drop his phone in a soup bowl, damaging the camera function.

       "Luhan's grandfather..."

       Chen's eyes widened as he held his breathe.

       "He found out I wasn't a princess and there's no such place as the Zibao kingdom." Minseok's voice went closer to whisper the more he spoke. "He got mad when he found out I was just an employee in their company so..."

       "That's cruel. Did he find out that you were a boy then?"

       "No. He knew me as Kim Minyeo."

       "What about Luhan?"

       Chen was surprised when Minseok scrambled in his seat and clasped their hands together. "That's why I called you. He's in trouble."

       "WHY? Please don't tell me they send Luhan far away from here. I know he may be a nuisance and an less intelligent than what other people thought he was but he's still my friend."

       "I know. The truth is Victoria-noona told me that their grandfather is trying to set him up again with another girl and...they might get married before the winter break ends."

       Chen fell back to his seat, felt a little dizzy. The other night, when he came to pick Luhan from where he left him near the bus stop, his friend looked okay, smiling even, telling them that he'd call Minseok to apologize to him. The poor man had that satisfied and confident smile etched on his face. It looked like an angel painted it on him. 

       "We have to help him. We have to do something for Luhan."

       Chen was despondent when he replied. "But his grandfather..." Because he knew how unstoppable and supercilious that old man was. Once he said something, nothing could be changed or done. It was absolute and final. 

       "I have a plan." He could see the determination in Minseok's face.

       "What plan?"

       "Since their grandfather still thinks of me as a girl and as Luhan's girlfriend, I will use that for our advantage."

       "And that is?"

       "I will do what a real girlfriend should do when her boyfriend's in peril. I will steal my boyfriend back!" All the people in the cafe looked at them when Minseok's fist hit the table hard. He even heard some of the girls (and other boys) muttering their dismay that he was already taken. "But Luhan's family is currently in China and..." Minseok beckoned Chen to lean closer. "I only have enough money for domestic flight," he whispered, face flustered. "I wonder if I can...you know...I'll pay you back, don't worry!"

       Minseok's eyes widened; he looked offended as Chen laughed loudly before someone threw a bread at him from somewhere. "Ouch! Who did that?"

       "Why are laughing?" Minseok huffed, crossing his arms. "Are you mocking my inability to pay you back?"

       "Of course not!" the younger replied, rubbing his head. (Damn, the bread was tough as a rock!). "Wait a sec." He fished his phone out of pocket as Minseok watched him dial a number. "Hello?" He sent Minseok a smile. The other smiled back, picking up the bread that landed on their table, dusting it off before taking a little bite. 

       "This is a plastic bread!" he complained before throwing the bread back to the direction where it came from. A man was instantly knocked out from his seat after muttering his apology.

(Note to self, according to Chen, never give Minseok fake food for everyone's safety.)

       "Hello, mum? Are you in your overseas concert? Yes? No? Great! Can I borrow it? Yeah? No, I won't bring a girl!" Chen gritted his teeth. Once in a while, sending Minseok a smile before turning to his phone again, his jaws tensed up. "No. I am telling you, there are no tapes under my bed. For heaven's sake, tapes were so 90s. We have internet now, mum. No! Are you sure they're mine? Have you asked dad?" The next thing Minseok heard were exchange of shouts and profanities on the other line before Chen clicked the end button.

       "Your parents?"

       Chen nodded. "They love each other, I know," he said before clearing his throat. "Anyway, the bad news is I can't lend you some money. The good news is, however, we're going to use our private plane to go to China!"

       Instead of an expected hug, Chen didn't expect a coffee spat out straight to his face as Minseok's way of showing his gratitude.

       "You're welcome."

 


Comments are nice. I hope your eyes were keen to notice the misspelled words in the email.