Thirteenth Bloom

Late Bloomer
 

 

thirteenth bloom

{where once upon a time could be now and happily ever after could be just around the corner; part i}

 

 

It wasn't a good thing when Yifan's parents found out about what happened to Luhan and Minseok (who they still knew as a girl named Minyeo). His mother was the most affected, and it had been the first time that Yifan had saw her acting like a child as she had been in a fit of tantrum, constantly in bad mood all day which their father had to deal with the whole time up till their flight to China. She liked Princess Xiumin too much obviously; she insisted that it was alright even if she wasn't a princess as long as she and Luhan would end up together. Of course Yifan and Victoria could only watch as their grandfather closed the door of acceptance in their parents' faces without saying anything. They knew that the problem didn't end with Minyeo being a commoner alone. They knew that if their parents (and even their grandfather) found out that Minyeo didn't really exist but Minseok did, the reaction would be imaginable to worse.

       It was too bad Yifan and Victoria couldn't apologize to Minseok about everything that happened. Their grandfather had confiscated all their phones. They had no room for protest especially his brother, Luhan, who as of the moment...

       "He won't eat. He didn't even look at me."

       Yifan and Victoria both heaved a sigh of dismay as Yifan watched his sister closed the door to Luhan's room. Their younger brother never communicated to anyone after their argument with their grandfather. His room was always closed to anyone who wished to enter. Even eating wasn't an excuse for him to leave his room that Yifan had to think of ways such as offering steamed buns. However, he instantly regretted doing that as Luhan started tearing up seeing the baozi. It took him sedative dissolved in Luhan's drink to calm the younger down.

       "He will die if we don't do something."

       "Like there's a way out of this," Victoria pointed out. "Anything against grandpa's will is like facing death."

       "So are you just going to wait until our brother die then?"

       "Then think of a plan."

 

##

 

Chen was all set with one hardsided luggage his mum had gotten him from their last Europe tour. Minseok had his own too, yeah...

       "What are those?" In fact, this one question alone could apply to everything Minseok had in his hands right now. But he chose to shut up and pretended that he didn't notice the two bags in his hand were eco bags from a famous grocery store. He also pretended not having a glimpse of his messenger bag made from recycled pants (and the few flower-patterned patches in it). And definitely not his backpack which had (if Chen was seeing it right) an obvious rolled sleeping bag secured at the top. Oh, and that blue platypus with fedora hat stuff toy he was hugging? Chen didn't need to ask about that. He saw that strange toy being given to Minseok by a familiar kid with no front teeth and noticeable lisps when he went to pick him up from their house/abandoned coffeeshop/whatever it was. He wouldn't even forget what the kid shouted when they were about to leave that almost brought tears in his eyes.

(If thomething bad happenth, Perry will thpy on the enemy and I will go there to thave you! After a while, the kid ran to Minseok before he could enter the car and whispered, "Please don't forget Thehun...")

       In the end, Chen decided to settle on the suspicious thing in his hand wrapped in pink silk fabric. 

       "Oh these!" Minseok lifted and swayed it happily, bringing it closer to Chen's face. And the younger swore he smelled something peculiar. like literally. "These are containers. I bring three types of kimchione is radish; other is lettuce; another is squid. Then there's bean paste and chili paste. I also have ramyeon and a jar of pickled eggs in my bag. Wait, I think I forgot to bring rice." Seeing the troubled look in Minseok's face and Chen knew he was being serious about it. "I have to...I have to..."

       Chen grabbed Minseok's shoulder to stop him from pacing around. "Relax. Breathe in. Breathe out. Yeah, that's right. Do it again." He didn't know if it was just its imagination or there were other people who resembled steamed buns when they breathed just like Minseok. "You really don't have to bring that lot. There's enough food in our plane for the three-hour flight we have. Even if we crash landing on an island, there will be enough supply for a year. And I won't let you camp in freezing cold of the outside world. So there's no need for sleeping bag or cooking pot or rice..."

       "That's not a sleeping bag. It's a tent. The blankets are inside this bag." Minseok waved his eco bag. "Besides, my grandma always told me: it's better to be ready than sorry."

       "Are there any other things in your bags that I'm not aware of?"

       "You mean aside from the cooking pot and the chopping board?"

 

##

 

It wouldn't be hard to detect the Wu's resident house. They owned the sole Edwardian manor in Beijing. The clan's emblem in the middle of their frontal iron gates was another obvious indication. Even Chen's family couldn't afford such. (For one, his mum and dad never owned that much property in Korea except for the one he's currently residing in for the reason that his parents were always in overseas trips due to their concertsbeing opera singer and orchestra conductor respectively. So his parents invested more in their private planes that looked like luxurious penthouse apartments on the inside). 

       "Wait."

       They were both hiding beside the bushes in front with Minseok's cramped backpack peeking a little.

       "Are you ready?" Chen asked Minseok. Or maybe he shouldn't have asked that, seeing the elder's all prepared Minyeo look which solely consisted of the wig alone. The rest of his clothes were still very Minseokkie except for the bra underneath which they had to stuff with plastic wrapped marshmallows (that or pickled eggs or kimchieither of which smelled and felt pleasant at all).

       "We have to." Minseok rested his palm on the left side of his chest, staring at it so deeply. 

       It must be love, Chen thought but dismissed the idea fast.

       Minseok rubbed his nape; cheeks were blusing. "Do you think the marshmallows are still edible after this?"

 

##

 

Being severely devastated would be an understatement (if Luhan would explain it himself). Rather, it was like a pretty bad breakup from a person you thought you were going to marry for the rest of your life (Not that Luhan envisioned himself marrying Minseok or that Minseok and he had really been an item to have an official 'breakup' matter). Still, it was as if he was facing a terminal disease with no cure but death. Well, he was rushing to it by no eating, no human interaction, and no bathing. He felt like he was in the brink of dying with an angel escorting him out. He felt a nudge on his shoulder, and the moment he opened his eyes he was greeted by a blinding light.

       "I'm in heaven," he whispered with his dried, chapped lips and as-if-kissed-by-death breath.

       He stretched his arms wide to welcome his angel chaperone in a hug when he heard a familiar voice.

       "Don't you dare hug me smelling like sweat-soaked sock."

       Luhan's eyes narrowed, a deep scowl forming in his face. He squinted his eyes, rubbing them with the heels of his hand, when the mist from the door slowly faded away with the light and was replaced by an annoying grin of his brother.

       "My godhaven't you shaven for days?" Yifan fanned the remaining mist, coughing a little, until he closed the door. "And why do used too much incense?"

       "To drive away annoying people like you." Luhan snorted, diving back under the sheets of his bed. "Plus, like I have a reason to worry about how I look when I'd rather die than to marry someone I don't even know."

       "How about I'll give you one good reason for you to go back to the Luhan I used to know, cheesy at it may sound," he heard Yifan muttered. He peeked a little and saw his brother's permanent stern expression.

       "Whatever reason that is, it won't work. I am about to marry whoever grandpa chooses for me; Minseok's been fired from the company and he's probably enjoying working with Heecheol to god-knows-where their ski resort was; And I will grow old here miserably with the life I never like."

       "Aw," he could hear Yifan's fake sympathy beneath his pouting lips. "So Prince Charming here chooses to rot in his chamber while the princess, with his godmother, slay the evil dragon by themselves?"

       "What do you mean?"

       "You wouldn't know unless you clean yourself first?" Yifan took him by both hands and dragged him on the floor. "Come on. The glass slippers won't walk by itself to find its owner. You should do your part."

 

##

 

Luhan didn't understand why Yifan's in such a hurry. He almost cut himself while shaving. But his brother's persistence came into understanding by the time he was near the entrance of the dining hall. He asked his brother to stop as he leaned against the door. He could hear one familiar voice despite it being a few pitch higher than it used to be and the motivated tone that always eased Luhan's mind.

       "...came here to set things straight." He couldn't be mistaken. That was definitely Minseokor in this situation, Minyeowho was speaking.

       "And you dare go here and talk to us like that despite lying in front of a lot of people including me. Do you think I'll let you see my grandson after what you've done?"

       "I know lying was wrong but it's for the sake of my boyfriend because we love each other."

       He heard a snigger beside him. He turned his head to see Yifan's shoulder shaking, his face was twisted wryly. 

       "Very funny, Yifan. Very funny."

       "Very well. I can let that bestfriend of Luhan to stay here, but you have to go."

       "Father!" Yifan and Luhan looked at each other. It was the first time they heard their mother raised her voice in front of their grandfather. "You can let her stay outside. It's too cold."

       "She could find a place to stay on her own. It's not my problem anymore."

       "Father." It was their father, calm as ever. "The house is too big. I'm sure there's plenty of room for her here."

       "As long as she stays here Luhan won't follow my orders, so she has to go. I don't care what happens to her."

       "If that's your decision, sir, I respect it." Minseok sounded composed.

       (But of course, Luhan thought. He was just pretending anyway. There's no reason for him to feel the fear. There was no reason for Minseok to pursue something that wouldn't benefit him

       "Still, I will never give up even if I have to sleep outside"

       "No," Luhan whispered to the door.

       "Yes," Yifan jeered. "Now do something before he sleeps outside."

       His brother didn't have to push him just so he would end up stumbling on the supposedly close but unfortunately open door and roll forward until he knocked his head on the edge of the dining table.

       Yifan came in, rolling his eyes as he gave his brother a lift. "Can you act anything but clumsy whenever Minseok's involved?" he hissed closed to the other's ear. His brother's still clutching his head, sight hazed obviously.

       Yifan was met with a sneer and Luhan's gritting teeth. "You pushed me!" he hissed back, pulling himself back together as he straightened his collar before turning to the people who was surprised by his sudden presence. His grandfather, however, didn't seem amused. It had been four days since he avoided interacting with the outside world, and until now he still couldn't look straight to the older man's eyes without fear and anger. Nonetheless, his glare softened once it turned into the figure standing to his right. But unlike his usually neat appearance, Minseok looked disheveled from head to toe. One reason could be the lack of presence of a reliable stylist to help him dress (which clearly explained his obvious lack of tastea very boyish, very Minseok-like choice of clothing). But one apparent reason could be the two bulky mendefinitely members of his grandfather's bodyguards that were deployed all over their propertyholding his arms on both side. Not to mention the tangled baggages wrapped around his body. One thing hadn't changed nevertheless. Minseok smiled when their eyes met. He tried to return the favorable gesture with the same genuineness but his face twisted horribly.

       "What's wrong, honey? You look constipated." His mother sent him a worried look.

       "What?" he defended. But that wouldn't hide the rush of blood to his ears. Even Victoria was trying to suppress a smile. 

       But temporary smiles faded eventually, hearing their grandfather cold voice. "Why are you here?" especially directed to him. 

       "You've mistaken if you think I'm here because of" he looked briefly to Minseok who was still looking at him "Minyeo. In fact, I'm surprised to find out she's here. In fact..." He blinked uncontrollably before swallowing with difficulty (he hadn't eaten for days; it didn't pass smoothly). "In fact, we've already broken up," he said with a straight face to the old man. And he might or might not heard his brother muttering a curse beside him or his mother's loud gasp. "I'm just here to say that I am open to the dinner dates you will set for me from now on." His eyes were firmly set on his grandfather, afraid to tilt his head even for the slightest moment with the fear of seeing the rest of his family members' reactions (including Minseok, the one he felt most unease with). 

       His grandfather straightened up a bit; his hand curled more comfortably around the handle of his cane. "Very well. I will tell Ryeowook to set everything right away. And for you," he cocked his head to Minseok's direction. "For the sake of my daughter-in-law, I will let you stay here but not a condition."

       Luhan held his breath. He could feel everyone in the room tensed up. 

       "You will work here as a housemaid."

       Luhan was about to protest when Yifan gripped his hand. He wasn't able to do anything as he heard a resolute response.

       "It will be my pleasure to work for you."

       His grandfather did nothing but snort, still not lowering his stoic attitude. It only took an eye contact with the guards for them to take Minseok away from the room. His parents and their grandfather trailed behind with his mother shouting about how Minseok should be handled delicately like a fine piece of porcelain doll. But the boy didn't pass by him without giving him something he fished out from his eco bag.

       "I know how hard it must be for you now. I perfectly know how it feels." Hearing the old man cleared his throat, the guards hurriedly brought Minseok out of the room, almost lifting him from the floor. "That will help you ease the pain!" he heard the boy shouted from the hallway before the noisy footsteps faded away.

       "I don't understand. How did Minseok come here?" he asked, still struck by the events. One moment, he wished of seeing Minseok before facing his death by marriage. The next thing he knew, the people he so wanted to see and apologize to was right here in China, in the same house as where he was now.

       "Chen brought him here," Victoria answered.

       "Well. not really the one who brought him until our front door because by the time they climbed over the gates, your bestfriend fainted after he seeing grandpa's watch dogs. Minseok had to drag him, plus all their baggages, all the way to the door. Speaking of which, I should get the CCTV footage of that so I can finally blackmail that twit." Yifan left without second thoughts.

       His sister walked up to him and rubbed his back as if she had read his worried look. "Don't worry. I know that our parents won't let grandpa mistreat Minseok. Besides, he's a very very strong boy." Luhan never forgot that fact. "And he seems very determined to help you out. By the why, what's that thing he gave you?"

       Luhan opened his palm. A scowl formed in his face as he read the label. "A tea to stimulate digestive system and ease bowel movements..."

       Victoria shrugged as she smiled. "I won't blame him you know."

       "But I'm not constipated!"

 

##

 

"I think I know who grandpa tries to set up with Luhan," Yifan came into Chen's room, slamming a photo on the table.

       "I still believe that all guests of this house should be treated right and that includes knocking on the door," Chen said with knitted eyebrows. After eliciting no response from the elder, he left his bed with a huff. His glaring eyes turned to a stunned look when he lifted the photo to see who would be the impending rival of Minseok. "No way," he said; the photo slipping away from his hand.

       "It's definitely her."

       "Tall, long legs, double eyelids"

       "The very opposite of Minseok if that's what you're trying to say. I think grandpa chose carefully well. She's a breath of fire to the ice fortress that is Minseok."

       Chen looked at Yifan with a hanging mouth before slumping onto his bed. "She could instantly melt our Minyeo down," he muttered in defeat. Yifan had nothing more to say.

 

 


Commenting is not a crime unless it's 'update soon'.