Eleventh Bloom

Late Bloomer
 

 

 eleventh bloom

{where the winter the wind blew harshly on Luhan's face; part i}

 

 

It was abrupt, sudden, impromptuwhatever they might call it. All they were sure of, it was unexpected. And by unexpected, it meant his grandfather just thought in a whoosh of visiting the universitybecause heck he was the one who donated a billion won used to construct the very building where Luhan and Minseok were currently listening to Yifan's lecture (actually none of the two had been listening because, duh, Luhan was in the state of neverland, had his head propped up with his hand, at the sight of Minseok whose eyes were closed but mouth ajar as he drooled over his notebook). If that wasn't considered beautiful, Luhan didn't know which was. Well, at least Minseok had the right to enter dreamland given he had already finished the problem set, but Luhan...

       "Class dismissed."

       He scrambled on his seat after seeing Minseok slowly waking up, unconsciously (flawlessly, in Luhan's eyes) wiping the wet side of his face with the back of his hand. Luhan was supposed to offer him his hankyalthough he was having second thoughts because it was Burberrywhen the door burst open and Chen entered, panting. Not to mention he was only clad in skin tone spandex. He gave all the passing students a bashful smile as they walked out the door.

       "I expected the sound of the bell ringing to shock me and not an amateur star." Yifan cocked an eyebrow to his direction, not even slightly amused especially when they always shared the same lunch table.

       "Oh you wouldn't believe!" Chen exclaimed, eyes wide opened and voice echoing seriousness. Still, Yifan couldn't take anything about him seriously especially now, with that look.

       "Do you want me to send you to the counsellor's office for disciplinary action?"

       "What?" Chen looked scandalized. "I didn't do anything! I just came from"

       "I know!" Minseok raised his hand, smiling ever so bright like he was in the middle of recitation in a preschool class. "You just came from an art class!"

       "Uhm no. Actually, it's from the ballet class. I just performed my version of Chandelier." Chen heard a gagging sound coming from Yifan. 

       "Oh." Minseok's hand slowly fell the same way as his lips. "I thought from the painting class."

       Luhan turned to Minseok as he asked curiously, "Are you taking painting class?" Because he never pegged the other to be that kind of interested to wellMinseok was justhe's too innocent-looking. He couldn't be craving for some skins.

       "No, no, no." The other swayed his head, smiling. Luhan heaved a sigh of relief until Minseok spoke again, "But I modeled for them once but without the spandex, of course!" he declared with pride and confidence and another blinding smile. 

       Chen had forgotten what he was there for.

 

##

 

"Why didn't you tell us immediately?" Yifan walked briskly. Actually, he could run if he wanted to but having to deal with this kind of situation now--an unconscious Luhan on his back, staining his shirt due to incessant bleeding from his nosehe had no choice but to take thing painfully slow.

       "I was trying to," Chen defended himself. "If I wasn't, I wouldn't run four buildings away looking like a lost exhibitionist!"

       "Is Luhan alright?" Minseok was also brisk walking with them, carrying his and Luhan's bags. "Is he dying? God, it must be the upcoming winter that's why his nose is bleeding."

       Yifan rolled his eyes. Why are you so naive?

       "He will be fine," Chen reassured, caressing Minseok's arm.

       "Well, he should be fine!" Yifan's anger seeped through his voice as he kicked the clinic's door, waking up the only attending doctor. Well technically, he wasn't really asleep. He was just always in a stupor. That was why Yifan never trusted him, but he had no choice now. They had to find a way to bring his brother's soul back to earth before their grandfather finds them.

       "Mr. Wu!" the doctor greeted as he smiled, visible dent appearing on his cheek.

       "I have no time, Yixing," Yifan irritably explained. "Just revive my brother back."

       "Use electric shock if necessary," Chen remarked on the side, earning him a glare from the elder. 

       "Just tell me if I can do anything to help," Minseok said.

       Despite his cluelessness about being the root of Luhan's struggle, Yifan was still grateful seeing the boy's genuine concern for his brother. He started to have high hopes that Minseok pretending to be his brother's girlfriend would be Luhan's only salvation from his grandfather. 

       "No need. Leave it all to me!" said the doctor cheerfully. A noise from a very hard slap echoed not only inside the room but also across the hall. 

 

##

 

"Grandpa!" Luhan skipped merrily towards his grandpa, plastering a huge fake smile on his face even though a part of his cheek still felt numb after waking up from his brief unconciousness. Luckily, Chen always had with him a tube of concealer which was already half empty by now. The doctor's hand print occupied almost half of his face.

       His grandfather only snorted, not even batting an eyelash to his direction. He was sitting legs crossed in an armchair of the university's VIP lounge, right hand holding his golden cane while the other was holding the newspaper. "I asked Yifan to send you and your girlfriend here," he said monotonously, eyes still glued on whatever he was reading. "Where is she?"

       "Ah..." Luhan immediately hide his fidgeting hands behind his back. "She will be here soon. She's justuhmbusy." And by busy he meant that Chen was probably pulling someone's hair out in case there's a student who was secretly wearing a wig that Minseok could borrow, or Yifan sneakily rummaging through his co-faculty's locker to see if there's a decent dress lost somewhere. 

       What he didn't expect, however, after ten more minutes of waiting, was to see a person clad in white coat, hair net and surgical mask, running towards their direction. Luhan and his grandfather stared agape as Minseok went closer and panting heavily. 

       Yifan, who was hiding behind a post from afar, was tempted to pull Chen's hair out (and by hair he meant his chest hair because the culprit was still in spandex, too proud of his quote god-like unquote body). It was all the younger's idea after seeing a spare gown in Yixing's office. Taking the opportunity, he also borrowed a mask and hair net. They had no choice anyway because: first, they had no time to look anywhere else for a wig; and second, none of them owned lipstick and eyeliner. Neither they knew how to put make-up on.

       "Luhan," Minseok said his name happily, all disguised under a feminine tone, before tip-toeing (just like the last time) and kissed his cheek (again, like last time). He was trying not to pass out or bleed again, but he could his knees becoming wobbly and his sight wavered.

       Minseok turned to his grandpa and bowed politely. Nonetheless, his grandpa's attention wasn't directed on his face but particularly on his sneakers—all dirty and worn-out—which they all forgot to change. Luhan saw the old man's face wrinkled more than they already were. 

       "Grandpa, it was—I can explain—"

       Just haunted by a horrid realization, Minseok's eyes darted on his shoes; he anxiously wiped them at the back of his pants as he cowered a little, hopeful that he could hide them with the long white coat. Thinking fast for an excuse, he explained, "I'm sorry. I"

       "I didn't expect that you have a taste for vintage fashion. I like that."

       Minseok and Luhan glanced at each other before looking at the old man warily. As if by a miracle, there was a smile gracing his face, all wrinkles smoothened out.

       "So, what are you going to explain again, Luhan?"

       "Ah...it's...I was just going to say that MinXiumin just came from hi--her Chemistry class. That's why heshe's dressed like that."

       "Oh, so your major is Chemistry?"

       "Yes," Minseok replied though he and Luhan could clearly hear the obvious question mark at the end of his answer.

       "Unfortunately, I know nothing about Chemistry," then the old man laughed. Minseok and Luhan mirrored his reaction, hiding the buckets of sweat from their heated necks.

       They continued laughing like that which made Yifan finally breathed in relief.

 

##

 

The next time they grandfather paid them a visit, Minseok was all ready. They informed Victoria beforehand of the possible need for a dress in case the old man surprises them again, and it happened. This time, it was during lunchtime that he came, inviting the two to eat with him in a nearby restaurant. Minseok had to run metres from his last class to the parking lot where he could change his clothes at the back of Chen's car. Chen wasn't there of course as he was held tightly on the neck by Yifan outside. The elder didn't have trust left of him especially when he found out that Chen searched all over the Fine Arts Department for of paintings where Minseok modeled in and planned to put it in an online auction. Luckily, he wasn't able to find what he was expecting for because, apparently, they never included the face of their models in their painting. And some unexpected informant (under the incognito, Lay) told Yifan that there was a familiar-looking student trying to extract information from him about how to evaluate beheaded bodies. In the end, he was able to stop Chen before the boy could attach a printed cut-out of Minseok's head to each painting to find out which body perfectly fits to it.

       They had to scan the whole area, making sure no students would see, as Minseokcurrently in Xiumin's formwent out from the back of the car wearing a smart-looking trench coat with Victoria's hand-picked boots. 

       "I am thankful you stopped me from finding the painting," Chen muttered beside him. 

       "Bet you do."

       Minseok was rubbing his hands to warm them. The winter was already whispering, albeit slightly, in the past days as the last days of autumn was about to bid its goodbye. His cheeks was blushing that they felt no need to put any make-up on them. He still had to put a little lipgloss on to make his already pink-tinted lips more plump.

       "Do I look fine?"

       More than fine actually as evident on their grandfather's (and as usual, no exception, Luhan's) enamored faces. It was also not an exception to have the boy tip-toeing each time he reached Luhan's side, smearing lipgloss on the other's cheek as his lips pressed on it. Luhan was still not used to though, still making him swoon.

       It was when they were all about to sit that the doors of the restaurant opened. Heecheol was on his way to a table when he stopped on his tracks to have a proper glance of the familiar people sitting on the table beside his, politely bowing to the old man first and foremost. He, then, turned to Luhan and gave his arm a playful (still painful) pat. His eyes slowed down, however, as they landed on the beautiful lady beside Luhan, who he could only conclude as the girlfriend introduced in the party. Her head hung low probably because she's shy and all. But then he remembered that she was a princess so she must be accustomed to greeting different people from different walks of life.

       "Oh why hello...uh...Princess Xiumin, was it?" He extended a hand, thinking it might be the safest of gesture since he didn't know how people from (where was that again?) Zibao kingdom greet each other. 

       The princess still wasn't sparing him a glance, only extending a little of his hand, just merely brushing their fingers when Luhan locked an arm on her shoulder, particularly squeezing the side of her arm. 

       "I'm sorry. She's not used in talking to other people yet. I mean not someone outside the family."

       "Oh." Heecheol retracted his hand together with the familiar feeling that brushed on it. It might just be a coincidence but her hands were as soft as Minseok's. Maybe he was just missing the boy, that's why.

       "I hope you don't mind. We have to eat. My grandfather only has limited time."

       "Yeah, sure. Take your time. I don't want to disturb your family get-together." He bowed again to the old man, sending the couple one final look before Heecheol went back to his table. Yet, he couldn't help to take a glance once in a while to them, to her. But each time he did, Luhan's eyes were on him and his hand was once again protectively snaking on her girlfriend's waist or rubbing a small of her back. 

       Heecheol could only smile on his plate. Again, he didn't like girls even if they were a princess of a rich kingdom faraway. He only liked one person anyway and that's final.

       He wouldn't be jealous even she cutely squeaked when they had eskimo kisses publicly.

 

##

 

Their grandfather's visits never repeated after that given the season's temperature was already reaching below ten or even lower than that. Luhan still had a problem though, had not yet dropped the his grandfather's plan to Minseokor Xiumin, the alternate girlfriend egoabout the upcoming winter holiday. Hell, he didn't even know if the other would agree for him to stay with them for more than three weeks dressed as a girl 24/7. Just the surprise visit made them all agitated, he wondered what more they would be going through if they were under close surveillance for a month. 

       "What are you thinking?" Luhan blinked before muffling a squawk almost closely escaping his mouth. Minseok's face was too close to his, like literally, with their noses slightly rubbing before he leaned against his chair. Good thing they were at the part of the library least gone to. Minseok settled beside him; both of them sitting at the carpeted floor, side of their arms and thighs brushing against each other. Minseok made a surprised sound beside him before he leaned forward on the book on Luhan's lap. The strand of the other's vanilla-scented hair tickled his nose. "I didn't know you like reading fairy tales."

       Still floating in a mild stupor of vanilla-scented sea, Luhan only replied with a hum.

       "Me, too! I like The Snow Queen the most. How about you?"

       "Snow White," he replied in a dreamy voice, watching Minseok smile and talk animatedly with small but terribly adorable gestures backing up his stories. He didn't even notice the passing of time, and he thought maybe he didn't mind being with Minseok longer like this. Just a simple telling of tales or even if just stay put and listen and let Minseok do all the talking by himself, he didn't mind at all. He liked the pleasantness of it, of them. "Minseok, do you like to stay with meuh, with us, I meanfor the rest of the winter vacation? If it's okay with you..." He pressed his lips together, waiting for the other to speak.

       But Minseok was gaping at him, probably surprised or couldn't comprehend the situation.

       "You see my grandfather is..."

       "I'm sorry." Luhan tasted the blood as he accidentally bit his bottom lip hard. Minseok wasn't looking at him but on the floor, tugging the lace of his shoe. "I already accepted the part-time job that Heecheol-sunbae offered to me in their ski resort. II'm really sorry."

 

 


Thanks to those who upvoted last time. We're able to won the ad bid (although yuu-san contributed almost 80% of the share, she's  just amazing). To the new (overwhelming number of) subs and new upvotes, thanks! Upvotes are fine but comments are utmost love as always.