Sixteenth Bloom

Late Bloomer

Guess this is the right chapter to say my apology for the lack of crack. Also, not proofread. 


 

 

sixteenth bloom

{where once upon a time could be now and happily ever after could be just around the corner; part iv}

 

 

Luhan couldn't sleep at all that night like the world wasn't capable of producing rainbows or baozi was already endangered that he couldn't get a taste of anymore. To sum it all up, it felt like the end of the world for him with his brother, his own blood, turning his back on him. But the worst could be Minseok's hostility towards him. Not even once since he'd met the boy that he treated him like thatavoided and ignored him as if he was simply a dust in the air being blown off.

       So it wouldn't be surprising for him to wake up with a heavy feeling in his chest, a series of forced decisions and another day of not talking to Minseok. One minute his eyes were fixed on the boy who helped on putting their ski gear in their car. The next minute he was standing at the top of a slope, dizzy and freezing. That and an annoying grin close to his face.

       "What the hell?" He immediately backed away until he slided forward and close to the brim. One lost balance and he came rolling downhill, accumulating snow into a huge ball.

       "I'm so sorry, oppa!" he heard Chanyeon apologized but her voice seemed amused rather than worried.

       He cursed one after the other but nothing escaped his mouth as he felt the snow slid down his throat.

       Chanyeon was at the top before sliding flawlessly with her bright gleaming teeth blinding him. Sometimes Luhan wondered if the clumsy girl they saw on the first day was just a kind of cover up. He still couldn't comprehend the girl's real intention.

       "Why did you push me?" he confronted her once she reached where he had landed.

       "I didn't push you. I was just standing next to you and then you turned your head to me. The next thing I saw was you going down the hill. You know what? As hard as I try to comprehend, you're nothing attractive or likeable at all. I don't see what Minyeo-unnie has seen in youa nincompoop."

       "A what?" Luhan tried to pull himself up with the ski poles. He turned to look at Chanyeon again to confront her for her nonsense and unwanted presence. But when he looked at the girl again, the grin already faded from her face and was replaced with an incomprehensible look borderline worrying.

       "Wha-wha" she stuttered. The usual confidence in her voice was gone. "What happened to us in your grandpa's office, what was Minyeo-unnie's reaction to that?" She sounded so sincere as she looked at him. "I noticed how she ignored you the whole day yesterday. Is she mad? Upset?"

       Luhan's eyes narrowed, his whole expression showcased disbelief and a little doubt. Chanyeon was acting strange. Why would she care about his relationship with Minseok? And why did she seem like worried all of a sudden when the last thing that Luhan remembered was her continuous intervention, trying to be close to him? "What is it to you?"

       "She wasn't hurt, was she?"

       Like Luhan really knew the answer to her question. Minseok was hurt obviously but it wasn't because he was jealous, but it was deeper than that. Just with Yifan and Chen's words to him the other day about Minseok feeling betrayed, it was as if he created a huge rift between them.

       "Your silence means she was." A huge sigh escaped her lips. "She still harbours affection towards you." Chanyeon pressed her lips together tightly.

       He would like to laugh because that would be the good and more precise reaction to Chanyeon's very 'funny' deduction. Affection towards you...ha! Instead, Luhan snorted. Few air roughly escaped his nostrils. It hurt.

       He caught the slight frown that graced upon Chanyeon's face but was swept immediately with a grin she always had. "Too bad you broke up with her to marry me." she said with undeniable taunt.  

 

##

 

"What happened?"

       Everyone in the house was startle by Chen's loud shriek. Even the chairman came down to the maids' chamber, walking briskly with his cane. Ryeowook tailed behind him as always.

       "Why? What happened to Minyeo?"

       Yifan saw everyone exchanging glances. It seemed like no one had believed the tone of panic in the chairman's words as he spoke. And to hear him calling the maid using his name with concern rather than the usual overbearing undertone, it was an instance worth noting. 

       "She fled, father. She asked Chen for a glass water and when he came back, she's gone."

       Her mother had her hands over with Victoria soothing her back. The chairman almost lost his balance if not for his secretary standing beside him and came to his rescue. And Chanyeonthe girl was awake with eyes as wide as saucers looking at themwas leaning against the wall, massaging her temples.

       There was a pregnant pause until the chairman broke the silence. His tone was back to being authorative. "Send a rescue team. Use air surveillance if necessary. We can't let bad things happened to the two of them."

       "But father we can't."

       Heechul quickly sent Yifan's father a glare. "What are you saying? Will you let your son die out there? And that...that stubborn girl. She just doesn't know how to follow instructionsalways doing whatever she wants even though she's sick."

       "As much as I want to go there myself, we really can't take actions now. There's snowsquall. It is nearly impossible to see through the thick snowfall. The use of helicopter would bring more danger than benefit."

       "Are you serious?" It was the first time Yifan saw his grandpa lose his cool, eyes glowering. Nonetheless, there was a hint of fear in the way his grip loosened around his cane.

       "We'll send our men right away if we're capable," his father reassured. "The only thing we can do now is to wait until the snowstorm subsided."

       "Or," Chen popped out from nowhere, clutching the platypus toy close to his chest. His eyes were puffy as he cried silently in the corner. He seemed calmer now. "Or believe in the power of love."

       Really, Chen? Really?

 

##

 

Luhan couldn't recall what happened. The last thing he could remember was seeing snowdrops lining the left side of the trail they were taking. He thought of picking up some. And even if knowing that Minseok's a boy and not most boys actually enjoyed receiving flowers as a gift, he considered it might be a nice apologyand a kind of reunitinggift for him. All he imagined was Minseok's smile when he received it, a bit of sorry from Luhan's part and probably a compromising hug in return. The next thing he saw when he reached for the flower were a mirage of twirling vision and a blunt yet painful collision with something before he was met with darkness.

       Now, he found himself lying on the blanket of snow and the flowers were above him, out of reach. And there was something slick and crimson dripping near his peripheral. He might have broken a rib or two but the cold made his body numb from pain.

       Everywhere was dark except the little patches where the moonlight hit. He could sense no presence. Help would simply echoed and bounced off the trees and death could be trusted to hungry wild beasts lurking behind the shadows or the suffocating embrace of the cold. 

       It was then when memories of his family, his friends, of Minseok backtracked inside his head. In fact he could already hear his brother sniggering probably about his overdramaticness and exaggeration of his current sufferings. There was Chen who would always and most possibly side with him, defending him against Yifan. Then there would be Minseok. Honestly, he could construct a lot of scenarioslovely, elating, dreamy, and all that would make him happywhen it was Minseok as the other presence in his mind room. But right now, Luhan just wanted not to be seen by Minseok with his situation like this. He already felt hapless being dragged into a marriage arrangement he couldn't even got a word to save himself. Being physically helpless was another. He knew his heart wouldn't take the load if even at this moment Minseok would come to save him. That would be too much. An absolute miracle if ever. 

       Luhan sighed, white wisps of air puffed out of his lungs into the cold frozen air. He tried to wriggle, and perhaps crawl from where he was now to wherever his last life would take him, yet he couldn't move an inch from his place. There's nothing left to be done but welcome death in its most untimely and unexpected way. 

       But before that, he should do one more thing, say one more thing he should've done and said if only he knew...

 

##

 

"Stop that. It's odd."

       It was tolerable when Chen was only clutching Minseok's stuff toy, but seeing him talking to it was another story.

       "Then how do I suppose to make myself feel better? I brought him here and it's my responsibility to bring him home whole and safe."

       Yifan's expression softened. Chen's right but he wasn't the only one responsible for Minseok or the situation they were in. He, too, held the blame if ever, though he hardly wanted to think of anything worse that could happen.

       "Smelling his pillow won't bring him back. And you should know you're not the only one. I won't let Minseok die in the cold nor will my brother."

       "And what are we going to do? You heard what your father have said."

       Yifan was about to say something when he felt the vibration in his pants. "Who would text me in this"

       "What?" Chen asked when Yifan gasped, jaw almost got detached from his face. The elder held his phone close for him to see what was on the screen. "Seriously?"

       The messages came consecutively one...

       i giv u the permission 2 lyk minseok - Luhan

       ...after another.

       only if i don't come bck alive! - Luhan

       "I don't know if I'm supposed to cry about his idiocy or not," Chen sobbed.

 

##

 

       i want u 2 kno ive never been proud 2 hav a brother lyk u - Yifan

       Luhan's breathless laughter escaped from his dry throat, but the smile on his face didn't stay for too long.

       ur idiocy makes me stand out more - Yifan

       What the

       nd don't ever think of dying bcoz Minseok went out 2 look 4 u - Yifan

       hell?

       "No!"

       "Yes!" his brother shouted as he answered Luhan's call. "Where the bloody hell are you? You make us all worried and there you are leisurely calling me! Do you even know the commotion you bring?"

       "I'm not leisurely calling you! I fell off the hill and lose my consciousness and now I'm half buried in the snow and I can't pull myself up!" Luhan whined.

       "Then dig your body, pull yourself up and bring Minseok back here!"

       "You don't" Luhan shoved the pile the covered his lower limbs. "need to tell me that." He pulled his upped body up as he tried to move his legs. "Aw, bollocks!"

       "What? What happened? Luhan? Hey!" his brother's and Chen's frantic voices overlapped.

       Luhan tried to breathe through the pain as he twisted his ankle. "Itit's fine. II just...placed my joints back into place."

       "You alright?"

       "Yeah, yeah. Easy as pie," he said leaving the part where his lip bled for biting it too hard, and the tear that escape his eye. "I may be gay but I'm manlier than you."

       "Right...you tell me that if you bring Minseok back here."

       "Hell I will."

 

##

 

He felt warmth cupping his face. He didn't expect the winter to have hands with soft and affectionate touches. Nor he expected to be enclosed in a tight hug when he opened his eyes to see whoever it was doing these to him.

       When the mysterious stranger pulled away, he didn't expect to be met with large eyes.

       "Chanyeon?"

       "Minyeo-unnie!"

       "What?"

       "I followed your footprints."

       "You can't be serious."

 

##

 

Chanyeon almost fainted when she heard Luhan's father declared that Minyeo was missing. If it wasn't particularly obvious, he would happily declare to Minyeo that she had a girl crush on her. Who wouldn't anyway? Minyeo was kind, soft-spoken, and has an appeal Chanyeon couldn't precisely point out. She was terribly enchanted with a beauty that was downright simple in first glance but hotly magnetic in its subtlest ways. Minyeo was endearing at its most fatal. And when Chanyeon find out Minyeo went to fight the cold while she was sick just to look for her not really worthy ex-boyfriend, she knew her reason to crush on her had escalated more. 

       It would be a lie if she would say she didn't felt like dying, walking almost half a kilometre with almost zero visibility just to trace the elder. And it would be an utter lie again if she didn't feel like crying when she finally saw her (or saw a large walking bag and a small body attached to it) trudging on the piling snow. 

       "I am serious. You're the one who can't be serious going out in this biting cold just to look for Luhan-oppa."

       "I couldn't..." Minyeo was breathing heavily, white wisps blew from his nose and mouth as she exhaled. "...just leave Luhan."

       "You should let me help you at least."

       "Thank you but you might get hurt. I can help myself."

       "But!" Chanyeon frowned, marching to her, overshadowing the elder with her taller figure. She didn't know what kind of reasoning she should give the elder but had taken over . "I'm going to be Luhan's wife. How are we going to marry if he's gone?" She watched as Minyeo's eyes widened as she spoke. She didn't want to hurt her by imposing their engagement but Minyeo just looked at her, mouth forming an 'o'. Then she smiled. How could she smile like that and looked unaffected?

       "Well." she said, nodding her head. "I'm sorry. You're right."

       Minyeo clasped the shoulder strap of her backpack, that looked more like a hiking bag, closed to her. She started walking again in a slower pace. Chanyeon took it as sign of the elder permission to let her follow.

       "Where do you get all that stuff? You seem like ready to camp anytime."

       "I brought this just in case we have to camp out if Luhan's grandpa wouldn't let us in."

       "We?" Chanyeon asked, skipping the part about Chairman Wu not letting her in, or the fact that Minyeo was willing to sleep in the cold just to get Luhan back. She couldn't fathom why the chairman wouldn't want Minyeo as her granddaughter-in-law. Such a waste to let her go like that.

       "Oh, I mean Chen and I. We went here together hoping that we'll get Luhan back..."

       "Why are you doing this?" Chanyeon asked "I know you've dated before," she said, fiddling with the strings of her winter hat.

       "Oh," Minyeo sounded surprised given that she almost tripped. She admitted with a yes but the word sounded more like a question rather than an affirmation. "Luhan's still a friend so. In fact, he's the first friend I made when I entered the university." The dark wouldn't hide the hues of pink tinting her unnie's cheeks. "I don't normally have someone I could really call friend except the acquaintances I made at my part-time jobs. And the fact that most of them are mothers and ahjummas..."

       Again Chanyeon let the fact slipped, pretending she wasn't as much affected hearing Minyeo's friendless life or the fact the she worked and had part-time jobs with an 's'. Chanyeon had been modelling but the job wasn't a big of a hustle to him as her parents and trusted managers had been giving her all she needed to pose that perfect smile on camera. But Minyeo, she seemed to have more work experiences than any other teenagers out there. She recalled Ryeowook's choice of word. Commoner.

       "Luhan's one of the few same-aged friends I have. And one of the kindest."

       If that was the case, Chanyeon deemed, then maybe the rest of Minyeo's friends were spawn of evil. Luhan: one of the kindesthuh?

       "Unnie, are you still blindly in love with Luhan-oppa?"

 

##

 

Except for the soccer practices he had, Luhan was never the physically fit ones. He didn't usually walk miles, never walked miles like this. And the fact that he was only walking with one foot while he dragged the other and balanced himself with a stick he got on the way, he wished his brother and best friend would see his effort. Yet, to say that he put 'effort' only carried half truth. He closed his eyes thinking of a melodramatic reunion with Minseok (running blithely in a seemingly timeless state with 'Chariots of Fire' playing in the background), there would be him with his wide open arms catching Minseok who, in return, would bury his head on his neck before whispering, "I miss you" in a breathy, teary tone. That image alone was enough to drive his motivation and clear all the icy obstacles ahead of him.

       Too bad he had missed a twig that caused him to stumble downwards in another roll leaving him unconscious for the second time of the day. 

 

##

 

The first thing he had noted was the lack of moon and the stars above him, not even clouds or falling snow or the harsh cold breeze that prickled his skin. There was none but a large fabric that shaped like a tent sheltering him. The second thing he noticed was the soft ground he was lying on as well as the warm blanket draping over him. Third when he pulled himself up was the neatly wrapped gauze around his ankle and his head. And lastly was the person smiling at him with marble white teeth and a face that resembled, "Chanyeon?!" He stared, gaping.

       "You one lucky brat."

       "What?" he asked because Chanyeon's teeth never separated when he heard those words and he was sure she just spoke in some sort of ventriloquist kind of way.

       "I said: did you miss me, oppa?"

       "I swear I heard something different." The girl was just looking at her, swaying her head. "So you saved me? You did these?"

       "Well the marriage won't continue if you're dead, wouldn't it?" she replied, zipping about how they saw him splayed on the snow with his mouth open and tongue out; or the fact that Minyeo made her carry her bag while her unnie carried Luhan (still caught on the disbelief that she had witnessed a small, petite girl turned into superhuman). 

       "Chanyeon, are you talking?" Luhan glanced over Chanyeon's shoulder towards the direction of the voice outside. He was about to ask who it was when the tent was zipped open and Minseok's head peeked in between the slit. "Is Luhan awake?" 

       "Unfortunately yes." He turned his head to Chanyeon who cocked her head to the side, lashes fluttering innocently. He couldn't have been mistaken when he perfectly knew the girl just said something not right. Then she spoke againthe obvious one, "Oh he is perfectly awake. Thank goodness!" 

       Minseok eventually entered the tent. Luhan's ideal reunion was washed away as the boy merely approached him especially when the giant girl was completely blocking the only space left beside him. No hugs or miss yous just exchanged of awkward glances and brief appearance of Luhan's 'oh look, that's my high school crush! I have to look good' smile and Minseok's adorable toothy grin. 

       Luhan never missed the way Chanyeon rolled her eyes or her grimace even when she said, "Take care of yourself, oppa. We still have to get married after this," and pressed her lips on his cheek with a loud smooch. "I'll just warm my hands by the fire. I'll leave you with Minyeo-unnie." She left with a noticeable huff of dismay.

       Luhan's mouth automatically open for a whatever explanation about the sudden kiss given that the last time the similar instance happened was also when Minseok avoided and ignored him like a deathly plague. It's not worth remembering and definitely shouldn't be repeated. But the only thing that came out of his mouth was a loud 'ompf!' as Minseok unexpectedly jump on him and hugged him tightly.

       If only he hadn't been given a chance to live by being saved by the person in front of him, he could've and ready to die right there and then. He only realized then that his imagined reunion was far from ideal.

       "I almost miss you."

       On second thought, nothing could beat the real deal.

 

##

 

"His phone couldn't be reached." Yifan's hand with his phone dropped to his side. Not only that he couldn't contact his brother anymore, he and Chen was just informed by Victoria that Chanyeon was nowhere to be found. And there's a huge possibility that the girl trailed after Minseok. 

       "I can't believe that girl followed Minseok. What if she does something bad to him? What if Minseok fainted on the road and Chanyeon just left him to let him die in the cold or be devoured by wild animals? What if"

       "I must say you have a great talent in making the situation worse than it already seems. Stop your negative what ifs, Chen. It doesn't help."

       "Then give me a good reason why she would go after my baby." Yifan's eyes narrowed with Chen's term of endearment.

       "Maybe she just wanted to help?"

       "Why are you suddenly positive about her? She tries to steal Luhan away."

       "Like I said, it was Luhan who kissed her. And we don't know the whole story. Just stop stressing about her. I'm going to call Yixing."

       "Who's Yixing?"

       "The doctor in the university. The one who slapped Luhan." 

       Chen peered at him. "Why do you know his number?" he asked with a brow raised. "Are you close to the clinic doctor? Are you bending?"

       Yifan only glared but not enough to remove the curiosity embedded on Chen's face. "He used to be my classmate, alright?" Chen frowned deeper. Yifan rolled his eyes. "Okay. He's like what Minseok was to Luhan."

       "I knew it! You like men. Ha!"

       "No! Not the 'I like Minseok' kind of Luhan. It's more of 'I hate Minseok because he steals all the spotlight from me' kind of Luhan."

       The younger gaped at his honesty. "Wow. So you two, brothers, are bunch of insecures. And you of all people?"

       "Shut up. Why are you so inquisitive all of a sudden? The only reason I'm calling him is we have to make sure no other doctor would touch Minseok. I already predict that my father would insist the three, especially Minseok, to be brought to the hospital once they are found. That's the protocol. If that happens, there's a chance that Minseok has to go for a body check-up."

       Chen gasped. "No way."

       "I know. I just hope Yixing's in China and in Beijing. Otherwise, all of Minseok's effort will end in a disaster."

 

##

 

Surprisingly, Luhan's nose didn't bleed when Minseok hugged him. He might get used to it if he managed to control his self. There was just something peculiar when their bodies touched. (And nope, no if that's what Yifan or Chen would suspect.) There was a spark, definitely. But more than that was the unusual warmth radiating from Minseok's body as the boy held him close. In fact, he was hotter than the usual body temperature. It was odd especially when it was expected to have their temperatures at least dropped due to the cold. If only he wasn't smiling as he stared at him, Luhan would think the boy had a very high fever.

       "I am happy to see you all well. Are you hurt? Are there any other wounds or bruises not accounted for?" Minseok surveyed him as he spoke. His eyes were full of worries, his head never stopped from moving or his hands from roaming around his arms and legs and even unwanted places. He was lucky he was able to stop Minseok when his hand was dangerously close around his crotch. He wouldn't want blood to gush out of his nose again, would he?

       "I'm fine," he said. "Thanks to you."

       "Oh no. I didn't do the bandages. It was Chanyeon. I only helped in changing your clothes."

       Luhan immediately scan his body to realized that he was wearing different set of clothes. The only thing that remained was his jacket. 

       "Your pants was bloody and wet so I have to change them." Then Minseok leaned closely to whisper, "Don't worry. I told Chanyeon that I already saw you so I have the reason to do it." The smile on Minseok's face faded as he looked at him, wide eye. "Did you hit your head somewhere? Your nose is bleeding."

       "Why did you tell her that?" Luhan cried in horror.

 

##

 

Chanyeon stomped her way as he plopped down near the fire. She crossed her arms like the girl she used to be if she didn't get what she wanted. But what could she do? Even if it was a half-hearted decision to leave the two alone inside the tent and god knows what kind of bloody activity they might be doing there right now, she knew it was the right decision. After all, even if Minyeo didn't push her away, she already felt out of place being in the center between those two. There was something, an unexplainable aura around Minyeo and Luhan, like a huge magnetic field when they were brought close together like that. It was as if the first time she saw them talking with each other in the hallway of the Wu mansion. It was like there was a huge explosion and instead of grey ashes were rainbow-colored ones scattering everywhere.

       They just looked like they were really meant to be together. As if they were tied with red strings even before they were born. Even if Chanyeon still couldn't come up with at least one reasonable reason why would Minyeo like Luhan, she couldn't ignore the obvious chemistry of the two. And how she wished she heard it wrong when Minyeo said to her that she had already seen Luhan because that only led her to one horrendous, nightmarish and sickening deduction. It could only mean that they already did the deed! And that Minyeo wasn't as innocent as she deemed her to be.

       She prodded the fire while looking back at the tent to observe if there were any unusual activity happening inside. So far, only the sound of the howling owl was heard.

 

##

 

Luhan watched silently as Minseok wiped away the blood from his nose.

       "Are you sure you didn't hit your head or nose?"

       "No," he said, trying to avert his eyes anywhere but the boy in front of him. "Minseok, I'm sorry. Really, truly sorry for everything."

       Minseok's hand stop mid-air, trying to catch Luhan's wandering eyes but the other kept avoiding him, looking down on his fidgeting hands. 

       "Why the sudden apology? I already told you since day one that I'm helping you in my own accord and that includes this."

       "I know but I am also aware that you were avoiding and ignoring me yesterday. And I know it's my fault so I'm really sorry." This time Luhan finally looked at him with the same earnestness as his voice.

       He saw how Minseok twitched, the boy's hand gradually fell down on his lap. "Your fault? I thought, and Yifan hyung told me, it was part of the plan."

       Luhan frowned to think that his brother was the caused of his agony. He didn't sleep soundly last night because he thought Minseok didn't want to talk to him anymore just to find out that it was all because of Yifan. "What plan?"

       "Plan to show your grandpa that we really broke up so he won't be suspicious."

       "So you were avoiding me because of that and not because of the kiss?"

       "Kiss? What kiss?"

       If only Minseok's eyes weren't round in curiosity he would think he was just in denial and had probably suppressed that unwanted memory in the recesses of his mind because he's jealous (or was betrayed as Yifan and Chen reasoned out). 

       "Ah! I remember now."

       "You remember?"

       "Yeah. The kiss. Although I don't see why I would be mad at you because of it. I don't really see anything wrong. If two people really like each other then it's fine."

       "You were...fine with it?"

       "Sure! It's no big deal." Minseok said it straight to him, eye level, with a sincere smile. "If Chen and Yifan-hyung really like each other then they just deserve the kiss, right?"

       Luhan's eyebrows quirked, muffling the gag that almost escaped his lips. "Chen and my brother?"

       "Isn't that the kiss you're talking about? I heard them talking about outside my door yesterday. I might have even heard Chen say that he would kiss Yifan-hyung. Isn't that it?"

       Apparently, Minseok's not only an expert in making his nose bleed. He could also make him puke his guts out. "Yeah...that's the kiss."

       Minseok patted his shoulder before standing up to the tent. "And Luhan," he said, turning around. "I don't think I'll ever be mad at you. You're one of the nicest people I know."

 

##

 

Chanyeon tried to cower hoping that it would stop the sound to come out. But her stomach grumbled nonetheless and her other two companions had the obvious look of hunger in the way they looked at her with sympathy.

       "Chen and Yifan-hyung already ate all the ramyeon packs I brought with me."

       "I'm fine unnie. I'm on a very restrictive diet," Chanyeon reassured her but luck must not be on her side when her stomach protested loudly. This time Luhan joined her in a duet.

       "Uhm...I wonder if you like marshmallow?"

       Luhan didn't understand why Minseok suddenly turned red when he asked them that question. Still, they had no choice but to agree with a nod.

 

##

 

If only they knew they would end up to this, they shouldn't have a huge argument in the first placeor should they say, a huge argument between Chanyeon and Luhan about who would sleep in the tent and who wouldn't.

       At first, Minseok and Luhan already agreed by themselves that Chanyeon better stayed in the tent as she was the youngest and the only girl of the three. But the problem came when Chanyeon argued that her unnie (Luhan wanted to laugh at the address but muffled the amusement by himself) also deserved to sleep inside the tent since she was also a girl, and let Luhan stay alone in the outside cold. Luhan disagreed of course even when Chanyeon glared at him and was surprised by his lacking gentlemanly characteristic. He thought he heard the girl muttered the question about how her unnie fell in love with such a prat as she looked at him with a grimace. As if by cue, it was the perfect time that Minseok intervened and suggested that they all sleep together. 

       That befitted the best suggestion actually until Chanyeon raised another question that rose up to another minute of an argument. 

("Who would sleep in the middle?" she said.

"I will," Luhan said as soon as the most curious inquiry was dropped. 

Chanyeon disagreed with a loud snort. "I know we will get married someday, oppa, but until then we shouldn't sleep together," she said with a straight face. Luhan wanted to gouge her large eyes out or pull out all her front teeth especially when another suggestion came out of . "How about we arranged it like this: Minyeo-unnie then me then"

"I thought you don't want to sleep beside me?" Luhan inquired with a mock.

Chanyeon threw the derision back with a grin. "I'm not done yet. Let me finish first. It will be unnie, me, unnie's bag, then oppa! How's that brilliant idea?"

"That's the most horrible, unfounded ideas I ever encounter in my entire life."

Chanyeon stared intensely at him though her eyes started to get glassy. What? Did she intend to cry?

"I'll sleep in the middle," Minseok said, yawning. The bags were already visible under his eyes. The two all felt sorry for him.)

       So here they were: Chanyeon, a sleeping Minseok and a very wide awake Luhan. He just sat in the corner, hugging his knees close to his chest while his eyes were fondly fixed on Minseok's sleeping figure. Chanyeon sat up, feeling the rise of curiosity up . She couldn't take it anymore.

       "Are you just going to watch her sleep?" she asked Luhan.

       Luhan never left his eyes on the boy as he simply answered, "Yes." His eyes were droopy but Chanyeon knew he was fighting the urge to sleep.

       "Do you still love her?" she asked again.

       Luhan broke his gaze briefly as he glanced up to look at Chanyeon. The girl's expression were serious, eyes fixed on him. He looked back down again, observing the way Minseok's chest heaved steadily. He didn't know if he was just used in seeing him with fake s but the longer he stared at him, it seemed like they were gone. Then he remembered he was being ask with a question that he knew could only be answered hypothetically. It's not like he and Minseok really loved each other in the first place or had any romantic attachment whatsoever. But he still paused, took a deep encouraging breath before saying, "Yes, I do. Yes."

       Chanyeon snorted before lying back down again, bringing the blanket up the tip of her nose. "Funny that you both answered similarly." 

       Luhan's eyes widened as he looked at her. was covered with the blanket so he wasn't sure if he heard things right but he was sure he heard her say something. "What did you say?"

       Chanyeon lowered down the blanket under her chin. "I said I'll turn around and pretend that you won't hug her as you sleep." The girl then turned her back on them, bringing the blanket up until her whole body was covered by it. 

       He was thinking hard, thinking of taking Chanyeon's suggestion by heart and do it. First, the girl already suggested she wouldn't care. Second, Minseok was in deep sleep. Third, since Chanyeon already knew his hypothetical remaining love for Minseok might as well pretend all the way. Luhan's eyes darted between Chanyeon's back and Minseok. When he was sure he was hearing the faint snore coming from Chanyeon, he lay down carefully then quietly draped his arm around Minseok. As if by chance, it was then that Minseok its side to face him. His eyes were still closed as he unconsciously snuggled close to Luhan's chest. Luhan closed his eyes, tried to count as many sheep as possible to calm himself. Because if not, Minseok might woke up by the erratic drumming of his heart. 

       But he eventually regained his composure, smiling as he welcomed sleep. Minseok had his arm wrapped around his waist.

 

##

 

Luhan woke up by hushed sounds of someone talking outside the tent. He sat up immediately as he attempted to wake up the two. Chanyeon was the only one who stirred awake by his nudging. They squinted as by the sudden intrusion of light when their tent was zipped open. It was already morning.

       "Luhan?"

       "Chen."

       "They're here!" his friend shouted. Suddenly there were sounds of steps coming over.

       Luhan turned to Minseok again to wake him up but the boy wouldn't move the slightest. "Minseok..." Even when he called his name or poke his cheeks or shook him hard enough. The worry was already getting the best of him when the slight touch of the boy's skin felt colder than usual. "Min? He won't wake up."

       Chanyeon looked at him then at Minseok, not noticing Luhan's choice of name or pronoun. "She wasn't feeling yesterday before we got here."

       "What?" It was what led Luhan to lift Minseok's upper body by his shoulder, yet he stayed limp in his arms. "Chen? Chen! I need help here right now! Minseok!"

 

##

 

As Yifan predicted, the protocol was to bring them to the hospital for check-up. What he didn't expect was to witness something worse as his brother came out of the tent, crying for help, with an unconscious Minseok in his arms. He and his father had to pull him away from the boy as the door of the ambulance closed with Yixing, who thankfully answered his call and responsed immediately, took the lead. 

He had never seen his brother cried publicly like that. It took his mother and Chen to help him calm down and be brought to the car to follow them to the hospital.

His grandfather was there to witness it all. Yifan just hoped it would be enough to let the old man have a change of heart.

 

##

 

Unfortunately, it was only the chairman that was able to talk Dr. Zhang when the doctor finally announced Minseok's current decision. As per Yifan's request, the doctor loyally did his utmost control to conceal what was supposed to be concealed. Yixing reassuringly smiled at the three (Yifan, Chen and Luhan) from afar; the dent on his cheek subtly surfaced.

       Ryeowook came to the lobby of the hospital later that day to announce what the chairman had told him. The stress of last night had its visible effect on his stressed expression. But there was something about the lack of the usual energy in his eyes that made everyone stood up. 

       "First of all," a slight smile was appearing on his face but it appeared strained, "relax because Minyeo-shi's condition is already stable. Her temperature have gone down but she's still unconscious and needed more rest."

       Yifan saw his brother sighed a relief but he still looked uneasy. Chanyeon's tensed expression also seemed to relax better. 

       "Miss Park and Luhan are given clean bill of health so you are free to go back to the mansion with us."

       He stopped, lips curled uneasily as he pulled something from the inside pocket of his coat. An envelope, Yifan saw. The secretary handed the envelope to Chen who looked at him with questioning eyes.

       "What"

       "The chairman would also like to say that Minyeo's service is no longer required in the mansion and that," pointing at the envelope, "is her payment for the serving us. Chairman Wu also said that once Minyeo wakes up, she will be immediately sent back to Korea."

       Everyone but Luhan let out loud gasps of frustration. 

       "The tickets and her hospital bill will be paid by the chairman. That's all for today."

       His brother, not even once, lifted his head to look at them. 

 

 


Thanks for the comments last time, and also the upvotes. Next chap is last installment for this arc. Comments won't kill and what doesn't kill me makes  me stronger.