Part 5

Of Duizhang and Kung Fu Panda [discontinued]

I'm downstairs. The door buzzed seconds later and Tao entered. Floor 17, apartment 1709.


The door to the apartment opened before he could brace himself for Yifan's uneasy smile. They stared at each other for a long time, each unwilling to give in, as if looking away meant loosing some sort of mental battle. Yifan's lips pressed together in nervousness and Tao knew he had won.

" Hi back, aren't you going to let me in? "

Yifan nodded, moving backward. " Anything you want to drink? " He asked, showing him the way inside.

" Anything strong... " He answered as he sat on one of the stools near the counter separating the kitchen from the small living room. Yifan gave him a look before going around the kitchen, opening a cupboard and pulling two glasses. He grabbed two Chinese beers from the fridge with his other hand and Tao did not comment on the lack of alcohol the drinks countained.

" So... How have you been? " He asked nonchalantly, watching Yifan pour his drink and push the glass on the counter.

" Good, I've been good. " Yifan finally sat, playing with the rim of his own glass. " And you? I saw the news about your casting in Stephen Chow's movie, congratulations. "

Tao looked at him, waiting for the other to match his gaze. When Yifan finally met his eyes, he froze, he looked hesitating for a moment, then he sighed and diverted his eyes away.

" Look, I'm sorry for what you've been put through... "

" Are you indeed? " The older looked back, wounded. " Whose's fault Yifan? " His own fingers were slightly trembling around the glass. " I'm pretty sure it's yours. "

He was not sure what he was expecting from meeting Yifan, but it was not some half-assed excuse. The problem was he was not sure if he wanted to hear Yifan explains himself either.

" Tell me what you've been up to all those years. " He demanded instead, which had Yifan starting to fill in the emptiness that had been bottled up in a corner of Tao's heart.

He told him about the deal with his mother, about how he had to beg his father to help his mother so that he would have a stronger back up to file the lawsuit. In the three years they had spent together, somehow Tao had forgotten that Yifan's backgrounds were a lot more different than his. Again, the other had never openly talked about his family, staying criptic and vague each time someone asked him. He explained how he had to work in one of his mother's beauty institutes back in Canada and learned a bit about business and marketing. He had tried modelling here and there too but he had quickly given up on the idea when every one of his works had appeared on the internet. The number of Chinese people in Canada is no joke, he had added, amazed. He also explained how he had opened an online shopping mall to his own colors and how enthusiastic the answer had been and how the sales were doing fine. He complained about the fact that it was more difficult to get orders from the asian market, but he said he was trying a new strategy and had decided to sell semi-luxury goods in real shops. There was one in Beijing and one in Hong Kong so far, but he was looking into strategic locations to try and open one in Vancouver. At the moment, he was in Guangzhou to negociate contracts and find new designers to supply his shops. Along the way, he even had been imagining a new accessory line but he had not had the time to launch the brand yet, even if more than thirty rings and piecings were already waiting to come to life. Excited, he showed him some of the designs, explaining where the ideas came from and why he thought people would like it. If Yifan had seemed a bit out of reach back then, now he was way too far ahead, Tao thought as he observed him talk.

They were suddenly interrupted by the door of the apartment opening and the short man from Ystra entered, stopping in his track when he noticed the two men's closeness as they were bent over Yifan's tablet.

" I'm not sleeping here tonight Yifan, I just forgot to take some stuff with me when I went out earlier. " He shuffled past them, quickly coming back with a bag, waving at them awkwardly before going out the apartment.

" Hmm, that was Yen-Wen... "

He looked at Yifan, an incredulous look on his face. If the other lived with a man in such a small apartment, it could only mean one thing right? Tao did not like the funny jumps his heart was currently doing. " You live with him? " He eventually croaked out, hurt and jealousy spiking little jabs in his chest.

Yifan blinked, not sure of the implications behind the question. "Uhh, yes? ... We're not together ok?" He quickly added.

" Oh, uh, yeah, for a second I thought you were gay. "

Yifan blinked again, mind flooding with images of a younger Tao following him around too closely and looking up to him as if he were the most precious star in the sky. " There's nothing wrong with being gay, you know," he said, soothing.

" Yeah, right, nothing wrong. " Tao nodded and stood up. " I.. Hm, maybe it's time for me to go, I have work tomorrow. " He wanted to escape, something inside him was urging him to leave, telling him that if he stayed any longer, he would get hurt badly.

" Tao.. " Yifan caught his wrist. " Can we meet again? "

The younger turned to him, not understanding the knot in his throat. " I'll text you, ok? " He said, shooking his head and tugging his arm back to his sides.

Yifan looked at him, searching answers in his eyes. His other hand levelled to Tao's face and his thumb brushed briefly the gentlest touch under the corner of his eye. " I really missed you, you know. "

And Tao froze, tears slowly welling up in his eyes as he eventually broke down right in front of the other, blindly grabbing for his middle and bringing him closer. Yifan returned the embrace, both helpless and guilty to see how bad the younger was hurting. He patted his hair, telling him how sorry he was and how he had missed him, and how much he loved him. It took a long time for Tao to calm down, but when his breath evened out in the crook of Yifan's neck, the older one moved back, trying to detach himself from the other gently. Tao whined and brought him close once again. " Let's stay like that a bit longer, " he begged. Yifan sighed, but he complied, encircling his arms around the younger.

" I missed you too. " Tao's voice was muffled against his shirt. " So much, " he added as he nuzzled his way higher to his collarbone, sighing in contentment. When a soft kiss was pressed on his skin, Yifan froze, dreading the sudden change of atmosphere and the younger's next move. The pecks stayed chaste against his neck for about a minute before Tao tugged on his hair, trembling from inside out as he pushed their lips together. Yifan did not know how to respond, he did not want to push the younger man away when he was in such a fragile state, but he could not let this continue for too long either. Tao's kiss was insisting, urging him to respond. Please, please, he whined between each press and Yifan could see the tears starting to fall again from his closed eyes. When Yifan finally gave in to the kiss, Tao's thumb pressed lightly against his jaw, exhorting him silently to open his mouth. His tongue at Yifan's lips, only dipping slightly and trying to tease the other unresponsive tongue out.

Tao's grip on his hair was starting to hurt, but it was nothing compared to how the younger seemed to be feeling. Yifan could feel the other's heart pound frantically against his ribcage and his own insides were dying a little with each pulsing beat, he knew he could not let Tao down once again. So he opened his mouth wider, unable to hurt the other any longer, letting their tongues meet in his mouth. The first touch was shy and hesitant, but Yifan quickly took the lead, pushing past the open mouth kiss of Tao's pliant lips, the younger like clay in his hands. The fingers in his hair started to loosen as Tao relaxed into the kiss, and when they fell to his back, Yifan took it as a clue that he could put an end to the moment. He pulled his tongue out of the kiss, opting for gently pecking Tao repeatedly on the lips until he opened his eyes. When he finally did, Yifan's face was sad, and Tao gulped around the sudden feeling that the taller man had indulged into another of his whims.

He moved back, face falling as he let Yifan go. " I'll text you, " he whispered before quickly running out.