Part 3

Of Duizhang and Kung Fu Panda [discontinued]

Tao searched for Yifan for about half an hour before giving up. There was no use running around observing every face crossing the junction, he had lost Yifan, once again, and he started doubting he ever saw him. He called for a taxi and soon collapsed of exhaustion in his hotel room.

When he woke up, the night before seemed to have been a dream. A pretty dream where his heart fluttered over elegant features and graceful fingers turning to him, for him, encircling his own in soothing reassurance. An ugly little lie truly, which knotted his insides and burned the corners of his eyes.

A part of him still did not believe what he saw. Because Kris had totally disappeared after he filed the lawsuit. He did not come to the verdict announcing the nullification of his contract with SMent months later. Photos of him posing as a model in some Canadian fashion magazines were posted on the internet at some point, but nothing else had surfaced during the following two years. He had evaporated into thin air and never came back to Korea. It was easier to convince himself that the person he saw was only a lookalike, that he had imposed his own memories on a pale comparison of the reality and lost his mind for a moment. Yifan was gone, and it was high time he accepted the truth. He was not coming back. Not now, not ever. He had taken off as he said he would years before.

Unless Tao thought the final landing would be somewhere high enough for him to still admire the other.


 

Why did you choose that career Tao ?

I guess I like making people smile.

Do you really like it ? It's not like you know them.

Who cares that I don't personnaly know them if I can make them happy nonetheless ?

He stayed silent for a long time, finally settling with a contemplating So social interaction's your answer to the lack of sense behind life...

Tao stared, speechless. Are you high ? 

Yifan smiled, gently ruffling the younger's hair. I believe feeling emotions comes first.

An uncomfortable stir invaded his chest as he looked at the older, and he wordlessly tugged him in a hug, Yifan's lonely laugh ringing in his ear.


 

"Ok, cut! Everyone, stop, 10 minutes."

If he was honest to his self, Tao was relieved to have lost the opportunity to confront the ex-idol. And now that he thought about it, he was not sure there ever was an opportunity, he had not see his face so clearly, and last he knew, Yifan was in Canada.

"Tao! Are you listening to me?!" The movie director was shaking his arm. "I don't know what you've been thinking about, but get yourself together. You're supposed to act an and smirk, not be a heartbroken teenager, what's with your expression today?!"

"I'm sorry" Tao mumbled, head hanging low and tone guitly, before his brows knotted with determination and the promise to himself to focus back on his acting.


 

*.*.*


 

Two days later, Tao found himself begging his manager and coordi to go out shopping because he had heard about an underground fashion designer shop during the last Hong Kong fashion week and he finally had the time to check it for himself. But really, it was more him and his coordi against his manager. One insisting smile from the petite woman and they were leaving.

The shop was actually almost hidden and Tao was surprised to discover how close it was to the universities and vibrant night life areas. A bell rang when they pushed the door open and they were lively greeted by a small man sitting in a corner. When they approached, they could see he was working on a piece of clothing, nimbly sewing strips and ribbons in intricate patterns on a dress.

"Welcome to Ystra" he said with a smile and bowed his head slightly. "Are you looking for something in particular?"

"Hmm, we came to have a look, you do ready-to-wear, right ?" Tao asked.

"Please enjoy your look then, most of the ready-to-wear pieces are upstairs" he explained as his eyes fell on Tao's hands. "The accessories are right there though" he added, gesturing to a large glass counter on the other side of the room. "I am almost done with the row I'm working on, please wait for me if you want to try something, I'll join you in a minute."


At that moment, the bell rang and the door opened to let a tall frame enter. Tao's face became livid when he turned around to cast a glance to the newcomer.

"Hi" the other greeted, quickly ducking his head low before giving his attention to the seated designer. "I forgot to take the pearls with me, sorry." He looked around apologetically, acknowledging their group of three when suddenly, his eyes enlarged and his smile faded.


"Tao..."

 

The whisper was almost inaudible, but the younger heard it pierce through his heart as if Yifan had physically assaulted him. And moments later he was the one violently pushing past the other and out the door, running away.