Part 1

Of Duizhang and Kung Fu Panda [discontinued]

"Everyone Zuòde hǎo* !" 

Tao bent at the waist, clapping for the end of the last shot of the day. He was in the midst of filming for his third action movie. His  first movie had no real impact on his carreer as an EXO member, it had been a small part and not a lot of people had appreciated his input for the martial artist he was. The comments had been about how idols could enter the movie industry without acting talent, or about how y his moves were. Disappointed was an understatement of how he had felt, so his oldest dream of acting was put aside for him to focus on his idol career.

Thinking back to their comeback in june 2015, the return of band activities for EXO as a whole had been a great time. After a long talk in the headquarters, Kris had not been replaced, allowing Tao more exposure both in Korea and China for his rapper skills. Once again, EXO was at its best, more or less united, and sweeping the music charts all over Asia. Watching Yixing do the talking and lead them in Chinese activities had been weird at first, and he did not like it, but he was a great leader nonetheless, and things were always settled by vote and no longer with rock paper scissors.

His own popularity had really soared in late 2016, some months after his appearance as a guest for the special taolu episode in Cool Kiz on the Block new season. People had watched the show for Jackie Chan, but all had been surprised to discover the talent of an idol for the sport. Yet, what had surprised Tao were the words whispered by his senior at the end of the recording.

Actually, I am working on a new scenario, and we need a new face in the martial arts world. Your wushu is still lacking, but if you train properly, I might consider you for one of the roles.

It was not long before the issue was discussed behind closed doors and his wushu training resumed being part of his schedule. Jackie Chan's movie became a hit worldwide, in its own way it was a tribute to the golden age of martial arts movies, but innovative enough with the plot and the surroundings not to appear cliché and in the end, it was the rather light atmosphere and touching story who won over the public opinion. One of the subtleties of the movie was its aim to change the idea that martial arts were only about fighting and violence, and shed a new light on the sport. It was arts, and Tao was the embodiment of its newfound graceful and emotional dimension. Even though Tao's role was only a supporting one - he was the passionate young man the main character learned to befriend and who eventually inspired him enough to overcome his own struggles - he gained recognition. Not only for his martial arts skills, but also for his sensitivity and touching character.

Soon he was casted as the second lead for his third movie, a Chinese romantic comedy where his silkworm eyes** and natural attitude behind the camera assured him a steady fame in Asia, all the while EXO vocal line promoted their new mini album. He was back to his idol life for the second half of 2017, balancing between the world tour concerts and practice. The five years the members had spent in the entertainment world had given them enough popularity to depend on their individual fame and skills when they were not working as a whole. Tao was thankful for the liberty it allowed them, for now he could also focus on his long lost dream: acting. The selection of his next movie had been careful, he had received several offers to act in dramas, both Chinese and Korean, but eventually, he auditioned for Stephen Chow's next movie when he heard a casting would be held for some of the roles.

Reading over and over again the newspapers' titles confirming his addition to the casting, Tao had laughed of joy and published on his weibo account a photo of himself and his trademark victory sign, showing off the title. The Return of the Kung Fu Panda, it read. And now he was in Guangzhou for a week of filming with the crew. The last shot of the day was finally finished and he intended to make the most of his stay. He was not sleepy although the sun had already set for a few hours, probably due to the long nap he took on the early plane from Seoul.

" Let's go back to the hotel." His manager urged him. Tao sighed.
" I don't have any scene until 5 pm tomorrow. "
" Yeah, but your fans are all around the place, let's not linger here for too long. "


*.*.*


" Xiè xie*** " Tao said to the taxi driver, giving him far more than the course fare, hoping his escapade would stay between the two of them. He wanted to wander around Guangzhou night market without worrying about being discovered behind the face mask and simple clothing.

He stopped to watch some local band playing and sent Sehun more photos of himself eating food from the market, not forgetting to with a photo of the bubble tea in his hand. It took some times, but Sehun finally answered with a photo of himself watching the lens as he kissed a woman's nape. Sry busy salivating on sth else, ttyl, xoxo, appeared on his screen right after. Tao shook his head half in laughter, half in disbelief, the stare remembering him about the younger's bedroom eyes on the nights when they ever shared kisses. Flashes of long limbs, hard angles and straight noble nose appeared in his mind. Please, don't leave... He sighed, looking up to the night sky, now was not the time to dwell on the past.

He resumed his strolling, knowing it would help him clear his thoughts. He observed the passerby, rejoicing in the fact he could blend in by laying low. Fame was a funny thing, he thought, it appeared all glitter and gold, but paradoxically, the shadowed part included a lot of work and loneliness. He pushed his hands into his pockets, feeling the cold of the night slowly settle as he sank deeper within the darkness of the market. He was enjoying the moment when he noticed a tall figure round a corner, effectively stopping his movements as his heartbeat suddenly increased frantically. Impossible.... But it looks like him. Tao staggered a bit forward, confusion written all over his face. It can't be. He started running and chased after the elusive figure. Tears pricked at his eyes and his insides churned up as he reached past the corner and looked around. His eyesight was blurred by shiny embodiments of his overwhelming feelings, but there he was, standing tall about 20 meters away from him, face smiling and arm around a smaller frame.

Duizhang...
 


 

* good job

** silkworm eyes: eye bag that is considered pretty

*** thank you